• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Players like Justin Wong who don't really need assists to get a hit will be able to take out a huuuuge chunk of your health because of the meter they'll spend. There are no one-touch kills in the game (yet).

Love this, because believe it or not, in UMVC3 I do not use assists. To be perfectly honest, I just never been good at concentrating on the fight while calling them out.

Sayad

Why isn't anyone talking about the addition of short hops to Marvel? That's a huge boon for jumpers like Captain America. He felt much better to play than before just because of this.
Why do people keep calling that "short hops"?! You can stop your super jump upward momentum at any point during the super jump(after reaching a certain height of course), calling them short hops takes so much away from the mechanic's potential!

NotLiquid

That's every fighter though

Not to the extent MvCI does. Every time a character is juggled it looks like they're jittering uncontrollably, even if it's something as simple as a wall bounce (it's not just character specific either - if you look at the recent trailer it happens to Rocket as well). It looks awkward and bothered me especially in the demo when I sent the opponent airborne without following up. Marvel 3 didn't have this, they just animate smoothly after getting hit.

Why do people keep calling that "short hops"?! You can stop your super jump upward momentum at any point during the super jump(after reaching a certain height of course), calling them short hops takes so much away from the mechanic's potential!
We could call them super jump cancels. Lol

vg260

The other thread about budget is a pretty good representation about the general opinions on the game currently.

It really is. Roster issues aside, people are going to take a look and pass. Capcom should have at least made sure the visuals were on point if they wanted more casual fans to give it a shot considering they should know the lack of X-Men would be working against them.

In terms of roster, I don't mind the X-Men gone, as I like the MCU characters more, but leaving Black Panther out of the base roster was a huge mistake, and when people see him in the story and a stage partially themed after him, they're going to be pissed.

The other thread about budget is a pretty good representation about the general opinions on the game currently.

Yes, the PR damage has been done. It's XBOX One's launch all over again. They need to release a newer build (newer than the E3 one) to possibly recover.

Sucks that this may be the last we see of the series. Yes I'm calling it the final nail already.

vg260

I'm calling them Wittle Jumps. I think it will catch on.

Coda

FINAL THOUGHTS:

If you like UMvC3, and can get over the new controller layout, you'll probably love MvCI. If you're a SFV player and you're frustrated with the monotony of the game and are looking for something that can help you express your playstyle more and be more creative, you'll probably love MvCI. If you're a casual gamer getting into the genre and you're looking for cool graphics and a nice story, MvCI is probably not the game you should be looking at right now. I hope to see everyone try out this game and form an opinion by themselves though. No one that played the demo at CEO had anything negative to say about the game, although I understand that the crowd at CEO is more concerned about the competitive aspect than the "video game" aspect. I honestly haven't had that much fun with a fighting game in a long while.

The things written in this post are obviously not set in stone, as this is just a demo and not the full release. 3 months is a short time though so I don't imagine much will change other than minor graphical details or some gameplay tweaks. Thanks for reading this block of text and we'll see what's up on September 19!

source-
https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelvscapcom/comments/6i88i1/mvci_demo_impressions_ceo_2017_from_a_umvc3/

Great write-up. It's been mainly my feelings as well. I love how you can have fun with the combos and express yourself in MvC games and it's always been one of my favorite fighting game franchises. If they just cleaned up the graphics I think this game could easily be a hit in the mainstream. And I love how fun the combo system is from playing the Story Demo, once it clicked with Dante I was loving his changes.

Dahbomb

Story mode demo did more damage than help the game.

People who want the game are now in "wait for reviews" mode or wait for user impressions.

Capcom better hope the launch is solid as hell. Already so much going against the game as it is, people are just jumping on the chance to hate it.

Coda

MvCi bouta be lit af. I know all u niggas are gonna buy it anyway lmao.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

I bet you're hype AF to see some Sigma gameplay.
latest

Rewatching gameplay videos.

Love how when you combo in the air and knockdown, if your tag in hits the opponent, it wall bounces. I think its the small technical things like this thats going to make this game amazing.

JayEH

Yes, the PR damage has been done. It's XBOX One's launch all over again. They need to release a newer build (newer than the E3 one) to possibly recover.

Sucks that this may be the last we see of the series. Yes I'm calling it the final nail already.

It's probably the last fighting game from capcom for a long time. Really sucks but they're blowing their chance to gain back the public's trust.

People who want the game are now in "wait for reviews" mode or wait for user impressions.

Capcom better hope the launch is solid as hell. Already so much going against the game as it is, people are just jumping on the chance to hate it.

I personally think story mode is a waste of time, just do an arcade ladder with animated cutscenes.. there's your story mode.

tribal24

Banned
It's probably the last fighting game from capcom for a long time. Really sucks but they're blowing their chance to gain back the public's trust.

unfortunately then everyone is going to get mad that there are no more capcom fighters in the works.

I just really want to see Nemesis already!! I feel he'll look really great in this one, haha.

I'm definitely going to team him up with Venom.

Having played it, I'm going in for the $200 bundle (the statues looked great at E3). I totally get people waiting or skipping it. $60 is not a small chunk of change. No one "deserves" your money.

However, I completely agree that people just love to jump on the hate bandwagon. There are lots of people that jumped on hating SFV without playing it or really ever intending to buy it. Now they get to continue with MVCI.

Dahbomb

When they are moving around and doing action stuff it's pretty cool. Watching Captain America boosting Megaman on his shield or Ultron Sigma schooling on the heroes was dope.

It sucks when they are just talking and doing exposition.

The roster is still small compared to most other VS games

That's not true though. It falls right in the middle. It's small compared to MvC2 and MvC3, sure, but XvSF, MSH and MvC1 all had a smaller roster than even the demo, and if the 28 character roster is indeed correct, it'll also have more characters than TvC.

The story mode trailer being at the Sony conference may have done more harm than the demo considering that people downloading it in the first place shows interest, while hundreds of thousands of people were watching that stream and got that as their first (and likely only) impression. Simply showing the character trailer would have been better overall, even if the news about the odd character models was still going to spread later that night. As someone who's been around since the beginning, it felt a little odd to focus on the narrative so much while the gameplay was second place. The marketing path they chose would have made more sense if the character models didn't have such widely different levels of quality. Luckily the gameplay is fun and I'll still be picking it up, but I do feel concerned that Capcom may not be willing to take risks with this genre anymore if this one doesn't do a 180 in the public eye. They've had a few missteps in a row now, and it seems doubtful that they'll continue making fighting games if this one doesn't at least turn a small profit.

tribal24

Banned
Having played it, I'm going in for the $200 bundle (the statues looked great at E3). I totally get people waiting or skipping it. $60 is not a small chunk of change. No one "deserves" your money.

However, I completely agree that people just love to jump on the hate bandwagon. There are lots of people that jumped on hating SFV without playing it or really ever intending to buy it. Now they get to continue with MVCI.

i got my collectors edition pre-ordered by any chance did the statues look small ? i want to know the actual sizes i hope there not tiny lol.

Ryce

I legitimately couldn't believe my eyes when I saw those Chun-Li and Gamora models up close during the Sony press conference.

i got my collectors edition pre-ordered by any chance did the statues look small ? i want to know the actual sizes i hope there not tiny lol.

No, they weren't small. They're about the size you would expect them to be. I'd guess 9 inches. I have some Kotobukiya statues and they looked like they'd fit right next to them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gamora looks fine, but close up on her hair (like in the cutscene in the Story Trailer) and there's a bit of aliasing. Also it's kind of stiff. Minor things, but it's noticeable.

Aesthetics matter, and the damage is done, people are not gonna check for a game even if the models improve.

GB and EZA even kind of did a "huh" at the Chun-Li model during the E3 conference livestreams despite being down with it. That's one thing for sure that goes beyond the FGC.

I'm upset that people are judging the game off of a few iffy models, but I don't blame them necessarily either. Aesthetics and presentation matter, and people have expectations with the fidelity of games they're playing on the same systems they're playing Injustice on. That's just real, and NRS has been pulling away for a hot minute now in terms of presentation and content, and I don't know if it's the consumer's responsibility to contextualize/acknowledge the publisher's financial situation, when they're used to getting more at that same pricepoint. NRS is doing especially well considering the majority of those sales are just that: people looking for enough bullet points on the back and some healthy serving on singleplayer content before they throw the game in the bushes and move on to the next AAA title. They've optimized their game for the casual audience, Capcom doesn't know what that means and is trying to do it with whatever they have, not willing to spend money to make money.

At this point, I think everybody knows it's not just one thing but an accumulation of things that are making people disinterested in the game. I'm excited as hell but I can empathize and share some of the concerns myself.

A story mode is fine to put resources in when it's well done, but my impressions from the demo are not favorable at all.

I still find story modes a drag, I would rather watch it on YT. I did so for Injustice 2, but what kept me playing the single player content was the multiverse and gears - something that Capcom should really learn from. Being able to customize your character should be a staple in AAA fighting games.

The issue with Gamora in that trailer is that the detailing on her face looks unfinished and she looks like she's straight from a mobile game.

jett

D-Member
More Max impressions
Seems he thinks characters may have too much health, or players might not have optimized combos. Whatever it is, sure hope it doesn't turn this game into another SFxT situation. Matches do seem to go very long in all the vids I've seen despite only having two characters. Might also be due to the fact that there's no X factor to speed shit along. :p

Wait what?

I think Gamora looks fine imo

Honestly most characters look perfectly fine, some even great. Chun Li's the only one that looks really weird. Even Dante looks okay during gameplay.

The newbies all look fine. The problem is the MvC3 imports, who were designed with the comic shading in mind.

These are entirely new models, none of them were imported.

Nate405

I wonder if there's a layout that works more comfortable for UMvC3 players but we'd need some training mode time with the game before that happens.

I've been thinking about trying:

LP LK HK
HP Tag Stone

This would make the magic series the same as MvC3's and lets your fingers rest comfortably on the four attack buttons. Not sure how confusing it might be in practice though.

Ryce

I don't necessarily think Gamora looks bad, but the closeup shots of her head (and a few others, to be honest) in the story mode trailer struck me as jarring for a 2017 PS4 press conference.

Dahbomb

Oh god not with this "damage is too low" crap again.

No the damage is fine and so is game length. People don't know what they are doing and timeouts are still rare.

On Gamorah she looks fine in-game but when zoomed in during cutscenes it looks off. She also seemed to have a case of dead eyes going on.

More Max impressions
Seems he thinks characters may have too much health, or players might not have optimized combos. Whatever it is, sure hope it doesn't turn this game into another SFxT situation. Matches do seem to go very long in all the vids I've seen despite only having two characters. Might also be due to the fact that there's no X factor to speed shit along. :p

Honestly most characters look perfectly fine, some even great. Chun Li's the only one that looks really weird. Even Dante looks okay during gameplay.

These are entirely new models, none of them were imported.

People are also missing a lot of hit confirms. In UMVC3, every hit goes into a combo or at least an American reset. Right now there are too many stray hits since no one has really played it.

JayEH

More Max impressions

people have only had a few hours at most with the game. it's way too early to be worried about low damage or too much health.

Skab

Oh god not with this "damage is too low" crap again.

No the damage is fine and so is game length. People don't know what they are doing and timeouts are still rare.

On Gamorah she looks fine in-game but when zoomed in during cutscenes it looks off.

I keep seeing people say how the game looks slowed compared to Marvel 3 and I'm like...do you fucking remember what Marvel 3 looked like before it released?

Come on people

Dahbomb

Max and co complained about low damage and timeouts in pre release Marvel 3.

Nah man raising damage in this game would do so many negative things. The penalty for losing a character in this game is extremely severe.

Speed of the game is also fine. It's probably not going to reach Marvel 3 plink dash speeds but this isn't going to be a slow game at all.

Skab

To be fair to Max, he does immediately follow up with saying he thinks it just isnt optimized combos, which we all agree is the case.

Top Bottom