• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Neoxon

I could see Urien making it in over Bison, but I feel like Bison has a better shot of getting in over Gill

How likely would Vega, Balrog, FANG and Sagat be?
I feel they all would be less likely than Bison, Gill and Urien

Though I think Juri is probably the most likely
Sagat's not really a villain (he hasn't been for a long time), but I don't think any of those 4 are likely.

lupinko

I believe the Sengoku Basara team foolishly said no as well.

Hopefully this time around they'll see this for the golden opportunity it is to actually promote the series--even though the games aren't likely to be released here again, Date Masamune and Sanada Yukimura are cool characters that the West should get to know more.

You mean cool people, because they're all based on real people. In fact I live in the city of Date Masamune.

Perineum

Why in the hell do people want Street Fighter universe characters? You have SF5 to keep delivering SF characters as the seasons go on.

Capcom has a ton of franchises to pull characters from to create unique fight styles from. Hell I'd prefer more Darkstalkers than Street Fighters.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Why in the hell do people want Street Fighter universe characters? You have SF5 to keep delivering SF characters as the seasons go on.

Capcom has a ton of franchises to pull characters from to create unique fight styles from. Hell I'd prefer more Darkstalkers than Street Fighters.

I don't really want too many Darkstalkers characters. Personally, I would prefer to see many different characters repping their franchises with their interesting gameplay.

Zaverious

It's just expected that Street Fighter will have at least 3-4 characters. Ryu, Chun-Li, Akuma or M. Bison for your villain, and someone who hasn't been in a Vs. title yet.

Sagat's not really a villain (he hasn't been for a long time), but I don't think any of those 4 are likely.

yeah. I don't think he ever really did anything villainous as part of Shadaloo either. But he was a part of the 4 kings of shadaloo at one time so I put him there anyway. I don't think they're likely either.

Because its nearly a guarantee no matter how people feel about it. And the SF universe has a few villains that would fit the game

If it wasn't for MvC3 I doubt there would be more people that know Amaterasu or Spencer than people that know Date Masamune.

I knew who those characters were, even before they got into MVC. Literally never heard of Date Masamune until I started reading MVC3 speculation threads.

Popular characters that people want to see in more games, fighting against their other favorite characters from another company.

woah man

SgtCobra

Totally agreed, we need some variety for pete's sake. Popularity be dammed.

Perineum

It's just expected that Street Fighter will have at least 3-4 characters. Ryu, Chun-Li, Akuma or M. Bison for your villain, and someone who hasn't been in a Vs. title yet.

Maybe make them DLC down the road? Shit the base roster would benefit far more if it was just Ryu and a female SF representative.

Weiss

Banned
Maybe make them DLC down the road? Shit the base roster would benefit far more if it was just Ryu and a female SF representative.

Three reps is a guarantee, four if they are gonna chime in with a villain.

So my guess is Ryu, Chun-Li, and Rashid, and Akuma as a villain.

Mind, I'd be happier if no series got more than three reps. The base roster isn't going to be huge.

J-Tier

I agree. Just Ryu and Chun-Li imo.

Akuma if we want to stretch it. That just opens up room for a whole other series to be represented.

However, there's going to be at least an SFV rep, if tradition holds.

I don't want SF to overwhelm the Capcom side of the roster at all, but as THE premiere fighting game franchise and one of Capcom's longest running and best selling franchises, they're going to get 3-4 characters out of Capcom's 16+ in the main roster.

Also, most of these characters play and look very differently in MvC by virtue of the franchise's more exaggerated powers and faster gameplay. Ryu, Chun Li, and Akuma in UMvC3 are wholly different beasts than in SF4.

I wanna believe that leak from earlier. Had everyone I wanted in the game except Howard.

If someone would just leak Wright and/or Jin I could sleep in peace.

kewlmyc

Monster Hunter team said no to inclusion anyway.

So did the Sengoku Basara team apparently.

The thing about Sengoku Basara is that Marvel vs. Capcom is a franchise geared towards the west and, well, no one here really knows or cares about Sengoku Basara.

His series had 2 games, 3 anime series, and a movie released in the west. He's more relevant than Gene and Asura is honestly. That and he's based on a real life person by the same name.

Zaverious

If they do Date Masamune, I would like for them to use Robert McCollum from the anime instead of Reuben Langdon. He sounded much better to me and we wouldn't have Reuben Langdon doing the same voice for 2 characters in the same game.

DR2K

Banned

Well not this season....

Mista Koo

Now I want that list to be true just to see the reactions here.

I'd prefer 2 at most from a series.
2 makes more sense for this game since it's 2v2. However I wouldn't want them to cut cool characters just to enforce an upper limit of 2.
Like I want SF characters that aren't Ryu and Chun-Li. I want Darkstalkers characters that aren't Morrigan and Felicia. etc.

We can get Ken 2010 up in this thing.
I didn't know I wanted that until now. He could be the Roll to Ryu's Megaman. He even has a SFV redesign:

B8A4CRd.jpg

Nobody cares about obscure nobodies like Gene, I want my Street Fighter characters dammit.

If there's any company that I trust to give us obscure or unorthodox roster additions, it's Capcom. Did anybody expect MODOK, Taskmaster and X-23 in Marvel 3? Did anybody expect Firebrand, Phoenix Wright, and Trish in Marvel 3?

I halfway expect Capcom to put Rufus from SF4 in MvC: I.

If there's any company that I trust to give us obscure or unorthodox roster additions, it's Capcom. Did anybody expect MODOK, Taskmaster and X-23 in Marvel 3? Did anybody expect Firebrand, Phoenix Wright, and Trish in Marvel 3?

Well I could see Capcom shaking up the roster about with older characters that no one knows like for MvC1 and MvC2... I didn't know who Captain Commando was when I first played MvC1... You see with SFV that Capcom brought back Nash, Birdie, Mika, and Karin all from much older games (2 being exclusive to SFA3)...

So Gene has a chance (though he's not really that obscure and almost made it into UMvC3).

Capcom also went to bat to give us Shuma-Gorath. Sometimes they make bad decisions.

NotLiquid

While I would expect there to be a new SF rep in the game, I kind of expect it to be Juri since she's arguably the most popular newcomer from Street Fighter IV and the only new character from that game to actually return in SFV. It's kinda notable in a sense that she feels like the only newcomer the series has had since III that has nestled into becoming something of a "Street Fighter icon" because there are people out there who still believe that the most memorable cast members begin and end with whoever was in Street Fighter II. While I think Viper definitely had the most distinct/marketable design back when IV came out she kind of fell off tremendously, and while I do think Rashid might be considered in terms of notable SFV reps, I don't really see people having that much investment in general for any of the newcomers that game introduced this time around. If there is a SFV rep I kind of expect Necalli over Rashid, the latter isn't even used much competitively.

Jawmuncher

Now I want that list to be true just to see the reactions here.

2 makes more sense for this game since it's 2v2. However I wouldn't want them to cut cool characters just to enforce an upper limit of 2.
Like I want SF characters that aren't Ryu and Chun-Li. I want Darkstalkers characters that aren't Morrigan and Felicia. etc.

I didn't know I wanted that until now. He could be the Roll to Ryu's Megaman. He even has a SFV redesign:

B8A4CRd.jpg

I'd be cool with ken 2010

Necalli, Rashid, and Juri are kind of in a 3 way tie in my brain for chance to be in mvci

Juri is arguably the most popular and was the biggest hit from day 1

Rashid is basically the hero of sf5 and has a move set that you could copy paste into mvci with minimal adjustment needed

Necalli as the villain of sf5 also has a good shot if they want to include a good amount of villains on both sides. I could easily see him being a story mode only character though.

Jawmuncher

While I would expect there to be a new SF rep in the game, I kind of expect it to be Juri since she's arguably the most popular newcomer from Street Fighter IV and the only new character from that game to actually return in SFV. It's kinda notable in a sense that she feels like the only newcomer the series has had since III that has nestled into becoming something of a "Street Fighter icon" because there are people out there who still believe that the most memorable cast members begin and end with whoever was in Street Fighter II. While I think Viper definitely had the most distinct/marketable design back when IV came out she kind of fell off tremendously, and while I do think Rashid might be considered in terms of notable SFV reps, I don't really see people having that much investment in general for any of the newcomers that game introduced this time around. If there is a SFV rep I kind of expect Necalli over Rashid, the latter isn't even used much competitively.

That's how I view Juri as well. She might not be a newcomer for 5. But she's easily the only really new character yo have made their mark on the series, and will more than likely continue to be seen in the future.

Do it really comes down to how Capcom wants to do it. I've said before Juri with her SFV costume, and based off that iteration, almost works as a SFV rep in my eyes.

Since to me, at the end of the day. Any SF rep in general is gonna work as marketing SFV anyway. Unless they put in someone who hasn't appeared in V.

Eh, I'd like it to be Ryu, Chun, Bison, and Rashid, even if that is a bit by the numbers. Bison's better as a villain I think than Akuma.

Neoxon

Eh, I'd like it to be Ryu, Chun, Bison, and Rashid, even if that is a bit by the numbers. Bison's better as a villain I think than Akuma.
But Urien & Gill would be more interesting as characters than Bison. Plus you gotta spread out the SF love, can't isolate it too hard on SFII.

PSqueak

Banned

B8A4CRd.jpg

IF we don't get him, i hope we get Captain Commando and him as a skin.

Speaking of skins, i wish they would implement something like Injustice in which certain skins of the characters have different voices, voice lines and victory posses, specially for "an entire different character" styled skins.

Would be like increasing the roster and getting away with palette swaps, but people would love it!

vg260

On that note, I don't want them to have to cut out characters from other series. The roster space is going to be limited. Two is plenty from one series.

I'd much rather they leave out the third or fourth SF or Darkstalkers characters that have been in plenty of their own series if it means a character whose only chance in a fighter is this series. It's an easy concession to me.

We absolutely don't need Rashid or one of the new SFV characters when they have their own brand new game. People are saying Rashid plays like a Vs character. That's good. Then you don't need him playing like a vs. character in two current games.

But Urien & Gill would be more interesting as characters than Bison. Plus you gotta spread out the SF love, can't isolate it too hard on SFII.

You would think that, but it's like asking Nintendo not to pander to Gen I of Pokemon. It ain't gonna happen, breh. SFII basically IS Street Fighter for most people, and at this point the SF staple roster for any new entry is "mostly SF2, with a little of everything else and some new people".

J-Tier

On that note, I don't want them to have to cut out characters from other series. The roster space is going to be limited. Two is plenty from one series.

I'd much rather they leave out the third or fourth SF or Darkstalkers characters that have been in plenty of their own series if it means a character whose only chance in a fighter is this series. It's an easy concession to me.

We absolutely don't need Rashid or one of the new SFV characters when they have their own brand new game. People are saying Rashid plays like a Vs character. That's good. Then you don't need him playing like a vs. character in two current games.

I'm with you here. I'll miss some of those SF and Darkstalkers, but if a wholly different game gets represented in place of those characters, I'd much rather have that. It's a crossover, so casting the widest net across all of their series should be the focal point of character selection.

However, despite that--we're getting 3 SF characters and 2 Darkstalkers minimum.

Neoxon

You would think that, but it's like asking Nintendo not to pander to Gen I of Pokemon. It ain't gonna happen, breh. SFII basically IS Street Fighter for most people, and at this point the SF staple roster for any new entry is "mostly SF2, with a little of everything else and some new people".
Fair enough, though Capcom's typically been pretty good about evening out their SF representation in recent Vs. games. Gill would probably bring more to the table for a Vs. game, but Urien has been my main in 2nd Impact, Third Strike, & Street Fighter V (hence my appreciation for Urien).

That said, if it's only 3, I'm expecting the 3 to be Ryu, Chun-Li, & Rashid.

NotLiquid

I still think Ryu, Chun and Juri are my most expected picks.

I have to say though, let's say we only get two Darkstalkers reps instead of three this time - would they keep or cut Felicia? I'm tempted to say they might just keep Hsien-Ko over Felicia instead, legacy be damned, especially after Capcom seem to be sensitive to characters skirting the M-rating (and Mika screwing with ESPN broadcasts).

Neoxon

My SF reps would be Ryu, Chun-Li, Akuma. If not Akuma, Bison. If not Bison, Viper or Juri.

Just please keep the V reps away.
But at the same time, SFV is the most recent SF game, so you'd think that Capcom would want to represent SFV in some way like they did for SFIV in MvC3 (especially since the newcomers for V were generally better-received than the IV newcomers).

Top Bottom