• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Neoxon

Well it was bound to happen. Thanks to this last page I'm starting to get worried the game won't be that good, which is a real pisser for me since I'm actually super excited about stuff like 2v2, Infinite Stones and X being in.

To be fair I was genuinely convinced Lord Raptor and Nina were going to be in, so I kinda had it coming.
What made you concerned?

Weiss

Banned
What made you concerned?

Drought of information, realistic expectations of the roster size and the DLC stuff, wondering how good the game can actually be with recycled assets and its seemingly tiny development cycle. That kind of thing.

Sesha

Reusing assets is usually a smart thing, and, unless I've missed something, we don't know how long Infinite has been in development. We have about five minutes of unique footage. I say it's too early to be seriously concerned.

Neoxon

Reusing assets is usually a smart thing, and, unless I've missed something, we don't know how long Infinite has been in development. We have about five minutes of unique footage. I say it's too early to be seriously concerned.
But it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. If you're gonna have a smaller roster on Day 1 regardless, might as well redo the animations from scratch (as shown by SFV, Capcom's 3D animation skills have improved greatly since the PS3/360 days).

J-Tier

Drought of information, realistic expectations of the roster size and the DLC stuff, wondering how good the game can actually be with recycled assets and its seemingly tiny development cycle. That kind of thing.
Recycling assets is a good thing. More characters are possible if they do that--thus a bigger roster.

However, managing your expectations is a good thing too.

Don't expect your dream game. I'm sure it'll be better than a good game though. I know I'm gonna have fun with it for years to come.

Sesha

But it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. If you're gonna have a smaller roster on Day 1 regardless, might as well redo the animations from scratch (as shown by SFV, Capcom's 3D animation skills have improved greatly since the PS3/360 days).

Remaking every old animation from scratch would be a colossal waste of time, effort and money, regardless of the roster size. They should at least tweak some animations, I agree, but we're still about a year away. At any rate, we don't know how big the roster will be, so until we have confirmation it's rather pointless to fret over.

I'm not worried about Infinite. I tend to enjoy every VS game, no matter who's on the roster. I'm thirsty like everyone else for info, but I'm sure we'll get some soon.

Dahbomb

1) Drought of information doesn't mean much other than they probably revealed it too early. Let's just wait until the next big game showing to see what they got.

2) Roster size does not equate to how good the game is going to be. I know people would love for the game to have a 100 character but the game has to be released on time, with a reasonable budget and deliver a cohesive package.

3) DLC stuff is inevitable and I WISHED Marvel 3 had more DLC support. Keeps the game fresh for a longer time, this isn't much to be scared of as long as the main game is good. It just has to be handled well and priced accordingly.

5) Recycled assets is actually a good thing because it means that they can port over a lot of the cast from Marvel 3 and focus on the new characters, content and mechanics instead. This saves them a lot of leg work which means they can actually meet people's expectations of a large roster and high game content. It's not like everything is recycled either... the game has new mechanics, new stages and they already showed 2 new characters.

6) Pretty sure the game has been in development for a long time now, it's not like they have been working on it for less than a year.

If you are excited about the 2v2 system with no assists and Infinity Stones then I am not sure why you would be dampened by much. The things listed aren't negative by themselves though they can be if not handled well.

There are a million other ways that Capcom can mess this up which is more concerning given how Capcom has treated their last two fighting games. If there's anything that should put a damper on people's hype is Capcom's own negligence when it comes to their fighting games of recent. They said they learned a lot from SFV but they should've learned a lot from SFxT and Marvel 3.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
There is no point to worry about the game at early stage of development.

Now that I'm playing Breath of Fire II I friggin' need for Nina to be in this game. She's so friggin' cool.

She's a flier and an elemental mage. At the very least she could be a good replacement for Storm.

I would love to see Nina BOF2 getting power up with shaman transformation.

h9yBrm3.png
GL0AYsi.jpg

J-Tier

Now that I'm playing Breath of Fire II I friggin' need for Nina to be in this game. She's so friggin' cool.

She's a flier and an elemental mage. At the very least she could be a good replacement for Storm.

I wanted Nina so bad for MVC3. I'd be pretty darn excited if she gets in.

Jawmuncher

Nina would get into MVCI. Continuing the trend of series that haven't sold as much as Dino Crisis and still have representation.

Weiss

Banned
Nina would get into MVCI. Continuing the trend of series that haven't sold as much as Dino Crisis and still have representation.

Breath of Fire is also like Dino Crisis in having a sixth-gen installment that ruined everything.

If Nina gets in it has to be her from Breath of Fire II, but they'll probably go for the tamer, moe Ninas from III and IV.

Dahbomb

There are a ton of series characters that have made into a Marvel game and have sold less than the DC games.

Off the top of my head:

Arthur, Firebrand, Haggar, Strider, Morrigan, Felicia, Anakarsis, Hsien Ko, Jin Saotome, Captain Commando, MMX, Zero, Tron Bonne, Roll, Servbot, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, Hayato, BB Hood, Phoenix Wright, Son Son etc.

Actually any character that isn't from RE, DMC, Dead Rising or SF is a character from a series that has sold less than Dino Crisis.

Ryce

Actually any character that isn't from RE, DMC, Dead Rising or SF is a character from a series that has sold less than Dino Crisis.
You're missing a few.

Resident Evil - 71 million
Monster Hunter - 38 million
Street Fighter - 38 million
Mega Man - 31 million
Devil May Cry - 15 million
Dead Rising - 9 million
Onimusha - 8 million
Marvel vs. Capcom - 7 million
Ace Attorney - 6.2 million
Dino Crisis - 4.4 million

Seyavesh

Truly GOAT type stuff right here.

Man I hope Marvel Assist Me returns again.

marvel tag me just isn't as catchy though

edit:
man i just realized how tragic it's going to be that sentinel probably won't be in the game for the purpose of extending the lifetime of "tag me in coach" jokes

Jawmuncher

There are a ton of series characters that have made into a Marvel game and have sold less than the DC games.

Off the top of my head:

Arthur, Firebrand, Haggar, Strider, Morrigan, Felicia, Anakarsis, Hsien Ko, Jin Saotome, Captain Commando, MMX, Zero, Tron Bonne, Roll, Servbot, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, Hayato, BB Hood, Phoenix Wright, Son Son etc.

You don't gotta rub it in

You're missing a few.

Mega Man - 31 million
Dead Rising - 9 million
Onimusha - 8 million

4.4 isn't too bad when you think that more or less it was only two games. I think Dino stalker and DC3 account for at most like 500k and even that might be generous.

Dahbomb

You're missing a few.

Mega Man - 31 million
Dead Rising - 9 million
Onimusha - 8 million
Nah I was talking about individual games. DC has only had 3.5 games made for it, it's not fair comparing it to 60+ games of MM.

DC1 has sold 2.4 million and DC2 has sold about a million or more. That's well ahead of anything that isn't the 4 game series I listed. Even when compared against all the game series as a collective, DC still makes in the top 10 which is actually kinda impressive.

mooncakes

If they still plan on sticking with no assists in this game, I think Viewtiful Joe would be amazing in this game. His charged voomerang is a good zoning tools which homes onto the oppenents along with his triple jumps would frustrate a lot of people. Since there is no assists to help out.

Toxi

Banned
You're missing a few.

Mega Man - 31 million
Dead Rising - 9 million
Onimusha - 8 million
Is it even fair to include Mega Man? The Mega Mana series has 134 games, with not a single one even reaching 2 million sales. It's only that high on the list because of saturation.

In other news, Ms. Marvel's now the leader of the Champions (think Marvel's Teen Titans). The role of leader was assumed by many to be Teen Cyclops, hence why some are surprised. Also,
Gwenpool's joining the team next issue.

3E675D0.png

Yet another reason for her to be included in MvCI.
Kinda lame that Teen Cyclops isn't the leader, Kamala's my favorite character of the bunch but there's a good reason why Cyclops was the best candidate.

But yeah, Ms. Marvel needs to happen. Imagine how ridiculous her moveset could be.

Dahbomb

If they still plan on sticking with no assists in this game, I think Viewtiful Joe would be amazing in this game. His charged voomerang is a good zoning tools which homes onto the oppenents along with his triple jumps would frustrate a lot of people. Since there is no assists to help out.
You can say that about a ton of characters in the game. VJ needed assists to really lock someone down with the charged Vooms.

Characters like Magneto gain the most with no assists. High mobility, good rushdown and zoning... all the necessary tools to play one on one.

Pachinko

People need to temper expectations on this a little , there's really no reason to expect the final roster of this game to be any bigger day 1 than Marvel 3 was on day 1. It's perhaps not getting the exact same treatment as SFV (because great though the game may be , it's not been as much of a successful experiment as Capcom was hoping) but , they might have DLC packs that just pop up every few months that contain another 2-4 characters in a shot and they'll keep releasing them as long as the game stays popular.

So basically, I'm sticking with my 32 characters guess - 16 from Marvel and 16 from capcom with a brand new final boss character to replace Galactus / regular Thanos /whatever that thing in marvel 2 was.

The trailers have already established that the initial roster isn't against re-purposing x-men characters into "inhumans/meta-humans" like Captain Marvel (who is basically phoenix).

4 characters from SF makes sense , 2 from darkstalkers tops , Megaman X , 1-2 from resident evil, Strider ( hasn't missed one yet, why start now). That already makes 10. Obviously Devil May cry can still supply Dante so you still have room to toss in 5 more characters. Of these we have 3 confirmed of course - Ryu, X , Morrigan. I don't believe the leak so I'm guessing we'll have Chun Li as the other "good" with Bison and Akuma as the "bad SF characters. X may well get Sigma (although that other megaman slot tends to go to tron bonne) , I'd love for Dimitri to return opposite Morrigan (and give him his midnight bliss special). For Resident Evil ,change it up and throw in Claire Redfield but keep Wesker. Strider can go solo , DMC could toss in Dante and Vergil. That still leaves 3 slots they can fill with arthur , pheonix wright, a monster hunter thing, breath of fire character, etc.

Throwing in every main character from an MCU film also adds up to quite a bit - Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Black Panther , Scarlett Witch, Vision, Ant-Man, Spider man, War Machine, Dr Strange, Captain Marvel, Wasp. Not to mention the Gaurdians - that rumored Rocket/Groot 2 for 1 character actually sounds totally plausible. Winter Soldier, Whiplash(could play like omega red), Dormamu, Ultron, Loki, Thanos, Red Skull. Boom - that's 24+ characters right there. That's just drawing from the MCU.

Of course, that probably BS rumored 60 strong cast could allude to 1 thing - Tekken style clones. I mean, Black Panther can just play identical to Wolverine but if they add X-men stuff back in ? yeah it'd just be a skin and voice swap I think, otherwise the same character.

Gotta admit though, I'm more curious just who they throw in from Capcom at this point because the Marvel side seems so obvious already.

Shadoken

Is it even fair to include Mega Man? The Mega Mana series has 134 games, with not a single one even reaching 2 million sales. It's only that high on the list because of saturation.

You could also look at it as , no single title could get really high sales. Since you would get a sequel so fast ( sometimes the same year ). Saturation makes it really hard for one single title to stand out and sell well. Despite the brand being strong. Capcom Fighters also struggled with this in the 90s. A game like UMvC3 manged 1.2m sales , tho I doubt It would have reached even half of that had there been a UMvC3: AE 6 months later.

I mean I really doubt Megamans popularity can be compared to the likes of say Dragons Dogma , just because no single title has sold more than it.

Also I really dont think Sales is the reason MvC isnt getting a Dino crisis rep. Visual and moveset variety is a thing. A character like Arthur and Strider offer much more of that despite being more niche franchises. DC characters dont really offer much that a RE character cant do.

Ryce

There aren't anywhere near 134 Mega Man games. The numbers on the IR page include every individual SKU: special editions, reissues, ports, and so on.

The trailers have already established that the initial roster isn't against re-purposing x-men characters into "inhumans/meta-humans" like Captain Marvel (who is basically phoenix).
Captain Marvel isn't an Inhuman nor does she share a single animation with Phoenix. She's not a repurposed anything.

There aren't anywhere near 134 Mega Man games. The numbers on the IR page include every individual SKU: special editions, reissues, ports, and so on.

The real number is a little over 100 unique Mega Man games, could drop that to 85-90 ish if you wanna split hairs on stuff like split versions being unique or not.

Neoxon

Captain Marvel has some Kree DNA in her, yes, but she isn't an Inhuman. Ms. Marvel on the other hand is an Inhuman.

Been playing UMvC3 again (PS4 version) and I'm glad assist are gone this time around. I don't play competitively anymore, so I'm glad I won't have to deal with nonsense mix ups when I just wanna relax. The only fighter I've put a heavy amount of time into this past year is SF5, because I like to at least be competent when playing friends or online. I understand why people will miss assist (I thought it was weird at first too), but I'm glad I won't have to worry about assist spam anymore. The tag team combos and gems should offer more than enough depth to last a long while.

JeTmAn81

Been playing UMvC3 again (PS4 version) and I'm glad assist are gone this time around. I don't play competitively anymore, so I'm glad I won't have to deal with nonsense mix ups when I just wanna relax. The only fighter I've put a heavy amount of time into this past year is SF5, because I like to at least be competent when playing friends or online. I understand why people will miss assist (I thought it was weird at first too), but I'm glad I won't have to worry about assist spam anymore. The tag team combos and gems should offer more than enough depth to last a long while.

You'll still get destroyed in MVCI when you play people who practice the game.

You'll still get destroyed in MVCI when you play people who practice the game.

Like I said, I still play to be competent. I'll learn match ups and a handful of characters, but I'm not as extreme as I used to be. Honestly, I'm just glad there won't be hidden missiles up my ass when I'm trying to pick up evidence.

Hidden Missiles would've been less stupid if they disappeared when Doom got hit.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the new system in Infinite. I love assists, but they're not a must for me.

Chindogg

Marvel 2 was nothing but reused assets. Keep that in mind.

FSLink

Banned
Like I said, I still play to be competent. I'll learn match ups and a handful of characters, but I'm not as extreme as I used to be. Honestly, I'm just glad there won't be hidden missiles up my ass when I'm trying to pick up evidence.

It's Marvel. It's pretty likely even without hidden missiles there's gonna be some cheese that you would have to deal with.

Shadoken

The real number is a little over 100 unique Mega Man games, could drop that to 85-90 ish if you wanna split hairs on stuff like split versions being unique or not.

I still find that hard to believe. Maybe 60 at max including every spinoff. I just saw the wiki page , and it seems fair as to why there are 134 release. There are sooo many release on different platforms (Handhelds ) ,re-release,compilations..etc. no wonder there are so many SKUs.

Mista Koo

Nah I was talking about individual games. DC has only had 3.5 games made for it, it's not fair comparing it to 60+ games of MM.

DC1 has sold 2.4 million and DC2 has sold about a million or more. That's well ahead of anything that isn't the 4 game series I listed. Even when compared against all the game series as a collective, DC still makes in the top 10 which is actually kinda impressive.
Sure. We'll get Regina after we get a MH and Onimusha reps ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's Marvel. It's pretty likely even without hidden missiles there's gonna be some cheese that you would have to deal with.

I know Marvel will always find some way to be dumb, that's part of it's charm, but I'll argue until my grave that hidden missiles was the dumbest thing in the series. I'll even argue that it carries players. Even pros.

I still find that hard to believe. Maybe 60 at max including every spinoff. I just saw the wiki page , and it seems fair as to why there are 134 release. There are sooo many release on different platforms (Handhelds ) ,re-release,compilations..etc. no wonder there are so many SKUs.

There are a shit load of spin off mobile games in Japan, I actually physically counted doing my best to only count original games. If you count remakes (powered up and maverick hunter x) and dual versions (battle network and starforce games) it does push over 100 unique games. Without them it drops into the high 80s. If you don't want to count the blob of Japanese mobile only spin off games it does drop into the 60s.

opricnik

Banned
Well I hope they have rights to use Spider-Man villains too (outside of movies). I mean who wouldnt love Venom back. I hope they dont chicken out and give us Shocker or Vulture.

btw this is my first post finally i can post i think welcome everyone

Top Bottom