• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just remembered that one thing where gcyoshi(?) asked combofiend on the radio silence and relayed that combo was saying that they wanted to be very careful about their presentation of the game and that was the only news we had about the game from "capcom" for like 4 months

good times

anyways heres a dumb thing
Ru8ZgpS.gif

You brought Shadow Lady back!
I want it. I had so much fun as Shadow Lady in 1. Love that "character"

Is it possible for you to give her her level 3 Final Mission Raging Demon?
Can you make Cyber Akuma more Cyber-y? Lilith out of Morrigan?

Anth0ny

This game ABSOLUTELY should be delayed and the 6 DLC characters to be rolled into the main game... just as a show of good will.

1-2 extra layers of polish, a few more characters, feature complete and releasing right in the thick of tournament season is exactly what can do the game good right now. That way the good will can carry into EVO as well.

Then they can start teasing X Men characters by the time we get into early 2018 to keep the momentum. Otherwise, by the time we start hearing about X Men characters it's going to be too late.

Yup. Don't forget Avengers Infinity War hype. This is the most necessary delay in the history of delays.

Supast4r

Love Max face when he reads Peters "characters are just gameplay, who cares which one are in the game" statement.

This just goes against his philosophy on fighting games. Max thinks that the presentation of fighting games is important. I agree with him.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"I hope they bring back beloved x-men characters like Wolverine, Magneto, Gambit..."

Lindsay-Lohan-Spits-Out-Drink.gif

I still love you Max :3

Jawmuncher

I'd say gambit has a cult following. But yeah the lack of movies and such has ruined his image as of late. Last time we saw him was that whack ass portrayal in origins. Compared to Wolverine, Magneto, and other Xmen.

DrDogg

Just finished Max's video. I have to disagree with him on a couple of points. If Capcom came out right now and said no X-Men or FF, that would hurt the sales of the game. Depending on how long the DLC lasts, anyone can be added to the game at some point in the future.

The assumption is that X-Men and FF aren't coming, because at this point why would Capcom not simply state they're coming? The only logical reason they'd have for not confirming their inclusion is that they aren't coming and they don't want to hurt sales by saying that.

If they were confirmed as DLC, even in late 2018, you would think Capcom would say, "they are coming and they'll be future DLC at some point."

This game ABSOLUTELY should be delayed and the 6 DLC characters to be rolled into the main game... just as a show of good will.

1-2 extra layers of polish, a few more characters, feature complete and releasing right in the thick of tournament season is exactly what can do the game good right now. That way the good will can carry into EVO as well.

This should happen but won't.

Disney and Marvel won't allow it. Those dudes want the game out now. I'd like to say it's a Capcom thing but even they don't want the game to bomb. Licensing contracts probably put them on a tight ass schedule.
This version is going to get a lot of shit on release. I expect an ultimate version down the line to save it.

.la1n

Just finished Max's video. I have to disagree with him on a couple of points. If Capcom came out right now and said no X-Men or FF, that would hurt the sales of the game. Depending on how long the DLC lasts, anyone can be added to the game at some point in the future.

The assumption is that X-Men and FF aren't coming, because at this point why would Capcom not simply state they're coming? The only logical reason they'd have for not confirming their inclusion is that they aren't coming and they don't want to hurt sales by saying that.

If they were confirmed as DLC, even in late 2018, you would think Capcom would say, "they are coming and they'll be future DLC at some point."

The only part I disagree with. Capcom has been in the business of saying next to nothing about upcoming content for some time now. Oddly; the things they do talk about end up disappearing and never being talked about again.

Neonep

The only part I disagree with. Capcom has been in the business of saying next to nothing about upcoming content for some time now. Oddly; the things they do talk about end up disappearing and never being talked about again.
Like them 3rd Strike costumes for SFV.

Dahbomb

Guys remember when Namco and Harada delayed Tekken 7 so that it launched feature complete and as polished as possible?

Yeah I forgot about that just like I forgot about the X Men...

SaikyoBro

Remember when the rumors were first being spread and people were saying things like "why would you want an MvC4 from a broke Capcom with no X-Men/F4?" Well... they told us so. In all seriousness I'm still super excited for the game, but seeing everyone else so bummed is dragging me down considerably. If the game flops then the tournament scene and plans for future support will take a big hit as well. They really need to hit the ground running but it's becoming more and more obvious that that's not very likely.

There are so many smart ideas here. The mechanics are really different from UMvC3 but in a way that intrinsically makes every character more viable and is going to result in more team variety, even with a smaller roster and one less character per team. It's such a shame that ideas like an all-new artstyle and cinematic story mode are coming out half-baked thanks to budget/time constraints, this game could've been the sequel that Marvel 3 deserves but they're really striking out in every category but gameplay. I'm usually more positive about the game than this but like Max said, thinking about the game is just depressing unless you're actually playing it.

Guys remember when Namco and Harada delayed Tekken 7 so that it launched feature complete and as polished as possible?

Yeah I forgot about that just like I forgot about the X Men...

Is that a joke or....

I mean, they didn't delay the game. They didn't release it because it was making bank for years. Unless you mean those extra months, in which case it's still lacking compared to INJ2 and GG, the online is busted on the PS4, and the input lag between versions isn't consistent. Oh, and the online features are fucking subpar, which makes no sense considering the game was practically running online in the arcades for damn near years.

mas8705

Just got through watching Max's video, and honestly... this is really getting depressing.

Honestly, at this point, I think I could quickly summarize seven issues that we are now looking at with MVC: I. Bare in mind that this is an "Outsider's perspective looking in" and I know that one of these seven points could easily be counter-argued. If anything else, I'm working an editorial for a website I work with and this might get posted in the next few days.

1) Roster being lackluster and feeling like it is a carry over of UMvC3 with very little additions roster wise and slight move tweaking.
2) The Obvious "No X-Men" argument and the reason of "You don't think of X-Men anymore, therefore they aren't there" response.
3) Downloadable characters and how if the Story trailer is to be believed we might actually be fighting said DLC characters (which could lead some to think that the DLC could be On-Disk DLC and will definitely trigger people all over again)
4) The art style and direction that has turned people off and others questioning what the hell is wrong with a few character's faces (alongside with everything looking too shiny or glossy)
5) The misuse of "characters as functions" and how it is getting people thinking that Capcom is about to screw out one side in great favor for another; much like what we saw in SFV.
6) With the amount of fighting games that have been coming out and the quality that was seen out of them (I.E. Tekken 7 and especially Injustice 2 to name a few), that looking at Infinite is causing people to second guess themselves.
7) Biggest issue of all: You have a game out there that is being seen as more "Marvel" than Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite called "DragonBall FighterZ"

Again, I know that these points can be argued against what I had said, but I honestly believe that after E3 and this interview, these are the seven glaring issues facing Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, and unless if Capcom does something to fix that, it is not going to end well for anyone.

And I think we can all agree that we want Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite to succeed rather than for it to fail. Hell, I am even considering getting the version with the Infinite Stones LEDs, but I probably will bail on that if I see if the game isn't completely worth it.

Neoxon

Remember when the rumors were first being spread and people were saying things like "why would you want an MvC4 from a broke Capcom with no X-Men/F4?" Well... they told us so. In all seriousness I'm still super excited for the game, but seeing everyone else so bummed is dragging me down considerably. If the game flops then the tournament scene and plans for future support will take a big hit as well. They really need to hit the ground running but it's becoming more and more obvious that that's not very likely.

There are so many smart ideas here. The mechanics are really different from UMvC3 but in a way that intrinsically makes every character more viable and is going to result in more team variety, even with a smaller roster and one less character per team. It's such a shame that ideas like an all-new artstyle and cinematic story mode are coming out half-baked thanks to budget/time constraints, this game could've been the sequel that Marvel 3 deserves but they're really striking out in every category but gameplay. I'm usually more positive about the game than this but like Max said, thinking about the game is just depressing unless you're actually playing it.
Maybe they just need to release the Versus Demo?

mas8705

At this point, it is difficult to say if that would help remedy the situation or if that would just be Capcom shooting itself in the other foot. Don't get me wrong though, let's say that after UMvC3, Capcom comes out, shows their trailer and we not only see hyped characters that we wanted to see and reveal that there will be a versus demo that shows that the graphics issue was actually fixed, then that could easily help to revitalize the game.

On the other, though if we find out that the game still has those issues alongside with other technical difficulties, then that could be seen as the final nail in the coffin even before the game comes out. Capcom needs to get their act together if we are less than three months away and people are more pissed than hyped (especially if you have more people asking "When Dragon Ball?" than "When Marvel?"

Dahbomb

I don't think the Versus demo will earn them much good will with the casuals. It has to be an online versus demo/beta, if it's just offline then for most people that's no better than the story mode demo.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Dunno if this article was mentioned earlier, but there's some refreshing takes on the future of the game. This is more of the PR stuff I'd like to read about MVCI, as it at least gives me hope for the future.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...games-why-they-dont-make-em-like-they-used-to

That article is pretty good. The information at bottom of the article sound interesting but I'm curious how many years did they had a plan for Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite's Game-As-A-Service.

Let's just say we think our fans will be pleased with what's being announced. And what we talked about earlier with games-as-a-service, we certainly expect Marvel vs. Capcom to be that. There's going to be content released over time. We're not seeing this as a one-off that ships this fall; it's a service that goes on for years. Therefore, if you look at it, content and new characters are going to be dropped over time, and I think fans will be happy with what's going to be dropped, not just in September but going on from there."

In that sense, Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite encapsulates much of the new approach for Marvel Games. The series began as a one-off X-Men arcade game with a port for consoles, but has grown broader over time, first crossing over with Street Fighter and then broadening each brand into its respective owner's larger portfolio. By the time Marvel vs. Capcom 3 launched in 2011, Capcom had begun experimenting with downloadable content in the form of two characters and an assortment of costumes. These days, much as the new game's name implies, the possibilities for expansion of the roster, for fans to keep playing, and for both the developer and licensor to benefit, are Infinite.

Sound like they are going to have a huge plan for Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite so I fear that they might halt middle of their plan if the game didn't sell very well. Therefore we might lose our chances to see our fan-favorite characters and most requested newcomers if they didn't have a good start.

SaikyoBro

As happy as that would make me I'm sure Capcom would think that's way too much content for a demo, the only times I can remember them doing anything like that would be SSF2THDR and MvC2 on XBLA, which iirc featured 2 and 6 characters respectively, lol.

An online beta like SFV's would be a more reasonable and interesting idea imo but I think if something like that were in the works we'd know by now. :[

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't think the game is going to get delayed since they already have everything planned out unfortunately. I really hope they are going to be successful with what they had with their product. I have a doubt that the sales wouldn't match up with their expectation.

Oh yeah, the assists were a good way to insert characters that weren't playable (would be cool if you could actually choose which one you want to use lol). Since Infinite returned to 2 vs 2 it would be cool if they have those kind of assists back but it's not going to happen.

Yup, someone like Arthur! ;)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This just goes against his philosophy on fighting games. Max thinks that the presentation of fighting games is important. I agree with him.

Indeed. I made a post on this matters few days ago.

On Function vs. Function video,

I actually appreciate the fact that Capcom botched on their attempt to handwaving the X-Men ban with a terrible excuse (I'm totally aware that Combofiend probably don't believe in his own comment but just leave it as it is). And I do get where some people came from since some people prefer to use the characters because of their functions in the battles, rather than being attached to characters and their personalities. However, they need to understand the fact people actually pick the characters because they have passions for certain characters and their personalities. I meant I'm sure many fans are going to pick up the games because so they could pick the characters that came from their favorite movies, comics, etc and they really want to see the characters playing as what they actually did in the movie.

The video just prove the point that movesets or/and archetype need to co-exists with characters' models and personalities. Also there are many small details that also help to make the game feel like alive. If we decided to make the blank characters with interesting movesets, it wouldn't pop very well or looks good because it lacks characteristic and personalities. I could say same thing for creating the movesets for certain characters. I meant can you just decide to give Captain America a laser gun and hammer, and expect it to works? Nope, it wouldn't because it don't scream Captain America to the fans.

In order to make characters pop out in fighting games, fighters need their models oozing of personality and characters and interesting moveset or/and archetype that actually make sense for those certain characters.

Developing characters for fighting games is pretty hard since you have to make sure their attacks would carry weights, the moves that actually make sense for characters, and make sure their animations would flow very well with full of life and personalities. Or otherwise, they would feel flat and boring. That's why I really appreciate numbers of fighting games out there that actually breathe the life into characters in the games.

Something small detailed things can go in long term.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51PS6wh_qM0

TDLR: Visual Presentations, Animations and Functions always need to be co-exists. If they only include one out of three, then it's more likely to fall apart or getting tear apart by the fans.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
TDLR: Visual Presentations, Animations and Functions always need to be co-exists. If they only include one out of three, then it's more likely to fall apart or getting tear apart by the fans.

I personally think they go hand and hand in gameplay. In combat games, you need to see, hear and feel how powerful your character is, or vise versa. The impacts are critical to empowering the player. This is why games like 3rd Strike resonate with many, especially myself. Tekken 7 has zoom in and impacts that heighten critical hits, with shockwaves for counter attacks. All of this stuff is presentation.

Sorry I haven't been following any of this too closely, but have they said anything about Spiderman? It's all I want. And what's wrong with Gambit!

Bob White

YvOqgoq.gif

holy shit. Knowing how much good official artwork exists over at capcom that they could draw from makes this gif hurt even more.

mas8705

Something small detailed things can go in long term.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51PS6wh_qM0

This is one of many reasons why everyone is hyped for DBFighterZ. Arc System works have shown the painstaking details they have gone through in order to make this game happen, and the callbacks to the show and manga are as commendable as they are incredible. Something to which hurts even more if the best I can think of that we got from Marvel vs Capcom infinite was Spencer's level 3 special (and even that was underwhelming to watch).

Forward

"I hope they bring back beloved x-men characters like Wolverine, Magneto, Gambit..."

Lindsay-Lohan-Spits-Out-Drink.gif

I still love you Max :3

Gambit should have died like he was meant to, as a traitor, at the end of the first (and maybe last) Bishop arc. Marvel has always been about those half-measures, wherever $$$ is involved

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I personally think they go hand and hand in gameplay. In combat games, you need to see, hear and feel how powerful your character is, or vise versa. The impacts are critical to empowering the player. This is why games like 3rd Strike resonate with many, especially myself. Tekken 7 has zoom in and impacts that heighten critical hits, with shockwaves for counter attacks. All of this stuff is presentation.

I once said that a major reason why I dropped Skullgirls early was because literally nothing in that game felt as satisfying as just pressing s.H with Hulk.

I once said that a major reason why I dropped Skullgirls early was because literally nothing in that game felt as satisfying as just pressing s.H with Hulk.

Can you and Max just get contracted for like a week to go in and management consult the fuck outta Capcom/Marvel?

Dahbomb

FChamp was saying on his stream earlier that perfect push block in general puts you out of block stun way quicker so you can escape certain situations that you normally couldn't before.

Can you and Max just get contracted for like a week to go in and management consult the fuck outta Capcom/Marvel?
Get me in there too mostly so I can spy on the DMC team.

Lulubop

SFV excels at This, probably the best it's got going.

jett

D-Member

Then they can start teasing X Men characters by the time we get into early 2018 to keep the momentum. Otherwise, by the time we start hearing about X Men characters it's going to be too late.

Capcom

Don't

Care

They'll happily be stuck with another sales turd that misses the mark by miles. The dumbasses.

DrDogg

I would agree with you under normal circumstances, but at this point it's damage control. Staying silent is the worst thing they can do (unless the X-Men just aren't coming). If the X-Men/FF are 100% coming, Capcom is insane for not clarifying that now, especially after all this E3 negativity.

YvOqgoq.gif

holy shit. Knowing how much good official artwork exists over at capcom that they could draw from makes this gif hurt even more.

That right there is a game made with love and reverence.

MVC:I somehow managed to be a game where you can have X and Zero on the same team and barely anyone is hype for it.

vg260

I agreed with Max's video except for the Gambit and Sentinel part. :p

Consider Sentinel being in MvC3 a lucky bonus at the time as a nod to MvC2 fans. I wouldn't blame Marvel for not wanting him back. I honestly can't really blame them for wanting the MCU to be featured. I'd probably do the same.

Letting back in some more high profile X-Men is fine for fan service though. Sentinel is just not one of them. He's kinda the example of function over character people are arguing against and pretty low on the priority list.

Neonep

That right there is a game made with love and reverence.

MVC:I somehow managed to be a game where you can have X and Zero on the same team and barely anyone is hype for it.

This right here is fucking crazy and true. Also Sigma. That's literally the trifecta and Capcom still found a way to disappoint people.

Dahbomb

So....

What do y'all think they will show at the E3/D23 weekend?

I am thinking a new gem, a couple new cutscenes from the story, Spider Man, maybe a new Capcom character like Jedah or Monster Hunter. Probably 4 or so new characters shown overall.

I think the E3 build will be a newer one and may feature the aforementioned characters plus Gamora.

One of the new characters might even be the ones not on the original Ryce link like Haggar or Dormammu just to let some people know that the list might not be complete.

Another DLC character probably gets unveiled too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom