• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are complaining about the graphics and I'm over here disappointed to no end with the music. That remix of Central Highway is a complete travesty.

The music is pretty disappointing to me too. Especially the Marvel side. It's like they decided that a "cinematic" soundtrack means removing everything hype and replacing it with slow, samey orchestral stuff. Thanos and Ultron's themes take forever to start up, and when they do, they sound so similar and generically evil. I didn't like MvC3's OST that much either (WAY too much electric. It took the worst parts of SFIV's OST and doubled down), but at least the themes there were fast paced and kinda hype.

Also I'm sick of Strider's theme already. POINT WITH SOMEBODY ELSE MAX, STRIDER'S THEME SUCKS.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The reality is that the 'cinematic story mode' probably saps a lot of the resources that might have gone into new characters. Reusing old characters and animations probably helps blunt some of the costs of development that went into that. That said, MvCI is on a different engine than MvC3 so I think even porting old characters over takes more time and effort than some people are giving credit for.

Also those accusations of these characters being "Frankensteins" is utterly ridiculous. It seems the general consensus that if anything the brand new characters are better animated than the ones that were ported over from MvC3.

I already pointed it out that Story mode definitely sapped up the resources and workers so that's why the counts of characters are pretty low this time. I meant Sakurai already went on the record (or something like that) said that they had more characters planned but they wouldn't able to get them in due to the obvious reason.

Since Capcom is never going to give me a Breath of Fire character, I don't give a shit about their roster.

Then we must make our voice more louder, ya know.

ElFly

it is honestly impressive if they can reuse animations from TvC and MvC3 on this, on models that are way more complex

Keits

Developer
it is honestly impressive if they can reuse animations from TvC and MvC3 on this, on models that are way more complex

Animations are applied to the bones. The 'rig' inside the model. This is why you can 'model swap' mod a bunch of games and the animations still work perfectly. Level of detail on your model doesn't matter so long as it is rigged and weighted property to the bones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeletal_animation

Coda

For me as long as the gameplay of a game isn't a clear copy and paste job then I'm interested in it. Animations and other assets are fine as long as it fits the new game.

ElFly

Animations are applied to the bones. The 'rig' inside the model. This is why you can 'model swap' mod a bunch of games and the animations still work perfectly. Level of detail on your model doesn't matter so long as it is rigged and weighted property to the bones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeletal_animation

I know that, but there's also a p bitter post from an animator in one of the MvC threads where he decries the whole animation reuse and says that the animations would have to be redone

joe2187

Banned

before I clicked on it, I was like. "This better be fucking she hulks theme"

You didn't disappoint

pitbull-bud-light-o.gif

Negaduck

The latest showing of the game looks great. I take back a lot of the negative things I had thought previously.

At this point I'm just waiting for the game to come out. The same way I wouldnt want someone to judge something I'm drawing before it's completed. I'm going to wait till the final product is released.

Im pretty hype though tbh.

Jawmuncher

The latest showing of the game looks great. I take back a lot of the negative things I had thought previously.

At this point I'm just waiting for the game to come out. The same way I wouldnt want someone to judge something I'm drawing before it's completed. I'm going to wait till the final product is released.

Im pretty hype though tbh.

When you got 3 fav characters it's easy to forgive /jk

before I clicked on it, I was like. "This better be fucking she hulks theme"

You didn't disappoint

pitbull-bud-light-o.gif

*high five*

The music is pretty disappointing to me too. Especially the Marvel side. It's like they decided that a "cinematic" soundtrack means removing everything hype and replacing it with slow, samey orchestral stuff. Thanos and Ultron's themes take forever to start up, and when they do, they sound so similar and generically evil. I didn't like MvC3's OST that much either (WAY too much electric. It took the worst parts of SFIV's OST and doubled down), but at least the themes there were fast paced and kinda hype.

Also I'm sick of Strider's theme already. POINT WITH SOMEBODY ELSE MAX, STRIDER'S THEME SUCKS.
Wait, are none of the returning Marvel characters using their MvC themes? Because if not, that is extraordinarily disappointing.

Remember how we were joking about this earlier?
595c33e2a138c.jpg

It's even better than I could've imagined.

Did they change all the themes for the Marvel characters? Some of them, like cap and spider-man, are iconic.

All of the old Marvel themes are remixed into more orchestral sounding versions. Capcom's somehow sound even more techno (as if that were possible).

Skab

I think it's a bit early to judge mvci's themes when we have barely heard anything, and what we have heard hasn't been very clear.

Neonep

I have zero problem with reusing assets if it allows the game to be bigger and better than it would have been with out it. That is actually the problem with the games roster because they reused so many assets that you would think that it would make the roster much bigger than it seems to be. That is one of the indicators that this game either had a small budget or was rushed.

I-hate-u

Just realized this game won't have Tron.

I never liked her much in 3, but I don't know why this upsets me. Same with not having Ameterasu in,

I-hate-u

Re-use a mixture of CvS2 and MvC2 music, ok?

MvC3 only had a few passable songs. Magneto's and Arthur's come to mind.

Ultimate really elevated the music for game with the fantastic DLC characters themes. Shame they had to take a step backwards with the remixed menu themes though.

mas8705

I have zero problem with reusing assets if it allows the game to be bigger and better than it would have been with out it. That is actually the problem with the games roster because they reused so many assets that you would think that it would make the roster much bigger than it seems to be. That is one of the indicators that this game either had a small budget or was rushed.

That has always been the issue when we see sequels for fighting games. When you have a fighting game that basically has too many returning characters, you make people wonder why a new game was being made while if you put in too many new characters while alienating the old cast, you have people feeling uneasy about the sudden change in the roster. You need to strike that sweet spot where there is that nice balance of old and new, otherwise you run into the issue of angering one of the two camps.

In this case, the idea for MvC: Infinite having so little new characters is making some people think that the roster is basically a water down of the UMvC3 cast with a few characters being replaced for others and calling it "New" even though they are still their own characters. Only other problem is that alongside with the small set of "new characters" that we are going to see, other brand characters that will be added in as DLC.

If we were to just look at the brand new additions to the initial roster, the game itself feels underwhelming. It is nice that we have five new characters, but that is five characters out of a roster that is currently at 27 (and again, this is not counting the DLC characters that have been confirmed or are on the way).

Since it seems you guys have forgotten, we've already heard Nova's new theme.

Edit: Whoever posted that link to the MMX Opening theme, thanks a lot. Now I'm forced to let that entire 30 minute loop play out. It's so good.

I should probably play the MMX games anyway. The OST is some sweet shit. I'll prob get to it after I finish Final Fight 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom