• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I am sure people once said that about characters like Gambit and Venom once. Or like Blade.

You know.. that Marvel character that has 3 blockbuster movies made around.
I mean, the Blade movies did well, but the MCU is a completely different (more successful) beast.

Dahbomb

I think it does very much have to do with 90s nostalgia, just not as a "fad" necessarily. It was the rivalry of the time just as Green Goblin was the arch rival if you grew up in the 80s, so different ages have different attachments.
Green Goblin is different from Venom because Venom's style and ability set puts him at a more equal playing field with Spider Man and hence for most is the definitive Spider Man rival, regardless of era.

In any case I hope people didn't take my MCU comment that seriously. But crazier things have happened. MCU is hot right now but will it be as hot 50 years from now? What if X Men comes back in a big way? Or what if DC comes on top?

What give Venom that kind of staying power? He was a flop in his one movie appearance and I have no idea what they're doing with his comics currently. Also it's been like 20 years since he was in a Capcom fighting game.

He was popular enough to be put in Marvel vs Capcom 1 in the first place. This isn't about the movies.

Ryce

Green Goblin is different from Venom because Venom's style and ability set puts him at a more equal playing field with Spider Man and hence for most is the definitive Spider Man rival, regardless of era
I'd put Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus way ahead of Venom as Spider-Man's archenemies.

Jawmuncher

I'd put Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus way ahead of Venom as Spider-Man's archenemies.

In historical significance probably.
In popularity? nah.

Even if it's just 90's Nostalgia, for him to persevere as much as he has, shows he left quite the impression.

Dahbomb

Archenemies are different from archrival.

Sony is banking on the populaity of Venom so hard that they are giving him a standalone movie, which neither Goblin nor Doc Ock have. Marvel is banking on his popularity so much he has his own comic line (Venomverse event). They even made not one but two spin off characters based off of him (Carnage and Anti Venom).

Spider Man 3 was an awful movie but people were omega hyped for it and part of that was because it was going to have Venom in it. It still made a ton of money.

vg260

Green Goblin is different from Venom because Venom's style and ability set puts him at a more equal playing field with Spider Man and hence for most is the definitive Spider Man rival, regardless of era.

Agree to disagree on who is the definitive one. Spider-Man has up to three you could make a case for, and your horse in the race likely depends on age and who you have a soft spot for. That's why I think they need at least a second villain in the game to cover the fanbase. Goblin's out due to Firebrand, but hopefully they salvaged the Doc Ock work.

Skilletor

Sony is banking on the populaity of Venom so hard that they are giving him a standalone movie, which neither Goblin nor Doc Ock have. Marvel is banking on his popularity so much he has his own comic line (Venomverse event). They even made not one but two spin off characters based off of him (Carnage and Anti Venom).

Spider Man 3 was an awful movie but people were omega hyped for it and part of that was because it was going to have Venom in it. It still made a ton of money.

I mean...Osborne became Iron Man, err, Patriot, and made his own Dark Avengers team. It was a super long run in the comics.

Goblin has several spin off characters in the comics. Hobgoblin even got voiced by Mark Hamill in the 90s show, lol.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What give Venom that kind of staying power? He was a flop in his one movie appearance and I have no idea what they're doing with his comics currently. Also it's been like 20 years since he was in a Capcom fighting game.

1. Venom was voted to be part of top 10 constantly during UMVC3 DLC
2. There is possibilities that original directors and developers from old MVC have attachment to Venom
3. Venom didn't get involved with Fox ban which pushed him forward, and front of those X-Men demands
4. Fan-Favorite character

vg260

Sony Pictures movie projects don't really strengthen the argument :p

Zaverious

Sieg Wahrheit and Chuck Greene being anywhere on a poll for a Japanese art site is not what I expected. Dudes actually played Chaos Legion?

Dahbomb

There are a few broad type of villains out there.

There are villains who are the polar opposite of the hero. In Superman's case it would be Lex Luthor. Superman has all these abilities and such but is actually not rich... Lex Luthor is just a human but is rich. They cannot be more different but it still makes for a compelling villain. You can put Joker in this category too, Joker is mentally and physically the opposite of Batman who is calculated and well trained. Joker is an effective villain because he works as the perfect foil to Batman who tries to understand the criminal mind. Interestingly enough, that's also why people are so enamored with the whole Batman vs Superman concept since they are so opposite of each other even as heroes.

Then there are villains who physically and intellectually are on par with the hero, which means that the difference between the two ends up being a matter of philosophy and moral character. It's Flash vs Reverse Flash, Wolverine vs Sabertooth, Goku vs Vegeta, Dante vs Vergil etc. This is where Venom falls into. Sure, they are not exact equals when it comes to power set but they are similar enough where you can put them on an equal field physical and intellectually. That's what makes them more than just heroes and villains but rather rivals.

That's what I mean when I say Venom is the definitive rival of Spider Man, not necessarily the definitive villain. And that's what makes him popular... not that he's just another rogue gallery for Spider Man.

Dahbomb

Sieg Warheit can't be in a VS game because he's a licensed character attached to some novel.

Would make for a sick fighting game character though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not a fad, really, but it's bound to have a shelf life.

I think that once some of the key actors want out, the cracks will finally start to show themselves.
It's going on like 10 years now. People who've wanted out is limited to like.. Hugo Weaving? Maybe Natalie Portman for a brief period of time? We're far past the average length of people wanting out of things, those longest in the game are extending their contracts until they get written deaths. Plus they're already grooming the Iron Man/Cap replacements and have been pretty explicit about it, and decently successful at that (Strange).

It's very safe to say all things end but the MCU has literally changed how studios approach making movies, and the forecasted slump never seems to arrive.

It's no surprise why the cast is MCU-heavy. It is the most successful film franchise of all time, after all.

Thinking about it, I'm surprised there's no Inhuman rep in the game given how they're pushing them in the comic and how they're having their own show in the MCU. Not even Kamala who is increasing in popularity.

Neoxon

Thinking about it, I'm surprised there's no Inhuman rep in the game given how they're pushing them in the comic and how they're having their own show in the MCU. Not even Kamala who is increasing in popularity.
I'm actually kinda surprised that Marvel didn't add an Inhumans rep in the base roster.

I wish the characters staying on screen would've only been a thing if Soul was selected. Not seeing Zero, X, and Strider explode will kinda suck.

I'd have to agree that Venom is more Spidey's biggest archrival than archenemy. Venom was too popular to stay a villain (which is why we have Carnage) so he was given some heroic qualities pretty quickly. That and the fact that Marvel kept on flip flopping between making him a villain and an anti-hero made it so Venom only sporadically antagonized Spidey kind of makes it so he couldn't ever really be an archenemy.

Whether Spidey's overall archenemy is Doc Ock or Green Goblin is kind of debatable.

Could go either way with those two. Both have handed Peter a lot of L's in battle and outside of it.

Venom never seemed like a villain to me. He always made it a point to spare innocents unless they were in his way.

Nope. Just fall to the ground like the others.

Edit: disgustingly late.

Edit #2: Man, most of those comments aren't even complaining about the graphics. Just the lack of X-Men. This sucks.

The lack of X-Men was always going to be the biggest hurdle this game would face.
Just the main ones would have been fine..

Man I keep thinking about how I've lowered my expectations lower and lower since the reveal.. I legit thought Nero would be a shoe in in this game, and maybe Gene too... Hell I'd take Asura at this point just give us new characters Capcom pls...

Village

His design is dope, and he fucks shit up. And bonus, anyone can be venom.

Venom isn't like Virgil where he's like a guy. Venom is the symbiote

p0yq9B3.jpg

9eT1kD6.jpg

I can be a venom, you can be venom. Anyone can be venom, venom is a character can just be applied to anything and make it an edgier cooler version of itself. Shits like spicy mustard. You got a spiderman sandwich, put some delicious ass spicy mustard on it and bam, you got a spicy sandwhich might need some milk afterward.

It blows my mind that aside from Batsu in TVC, rival schools characters are always over looked in these games.

You're telling me a game series though its "3 " games that has 2v2, 3v3, double team supers, triple team supers, and air combos is a bad fit for a marvel game? I just don't see it They would be perfect.

One thing I really liked in that pregame footage of mvc3 posted earlier, was Seth said they were shooting for 30 plus characters. No guessing involved. Already know what you're getting there about. and we ending up with 38.

Also I think even old series with no relevance today can still be represented. I think characters Like Captain commando and Jin can even be considered mvc characters. Like hey our games are old , but now this is our series where we will always be. Hell before Mvc 1 I didn't even know who they were. Which can also maybe make you wanna check out there old games.

Thinking about it right now as I type this. There is no two characters I want to come back more than Jin and CapCom.

The more I think about it I would have been fine with just and all capcom game. I have great memories of marvel but it all predates this century.

80s spiderman and friends. 90s x-men and spiderman. Shitty 90s fantastic 4 and Ironman cartoons. Also I think i might have seen the first season+ of the hulk, but i remember hulk more from the live action show with Lou Ferrigno.

I'd be down with an all marvel game too, to be honest. Just so we can have more characters on each side.

So many great capcom series missing out though. Kinda makes me wanna make a thread of what could have been.

Top 5 series I would love to see represented more, or even at all.

Rival Schools
Star Gladiator
Sengoku Basara
Breath Of fire
Powerstone

Ladies Corner

Since I love me female characters. Some characters from capcom I really would like in this game are. Lucia from final fight 3, Lady from DMC 3 and 4. June from SG/Plasma sword. Akira from RS/Project Justice, Tessa from Red Earth and MvC 2 Jill.

On the marvel side (90s nostalgia baby!) I just really want Rogue and Psylocke to return. Storm is always cool, but I've never been a fan of her moveset.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Also I think even old series with no relevance today can still be represented. I think characters Like Captain commando and Jin can even be considered mvc characters. Like hey our games are old , but now this is our series where we will always be. Hell before Mvc 1 I didn't even know who they were. Which can also maybe make you wanna check out there old games.

Spencer is like this for me: more of an MvC character than a star of his own game. So much so, in fact, that when I see him in his classic design instead of his dreadlock redesign it takes a second for me to remember who the fuck he is.

Blues1990

Spencer is like this for me: more of an MvC character than a star of his own game. So much so, in fact, that when I see him in his classic design instead of his dreadlock redesign it takes a second for me to remember who the fuck he is.

I do hope his Bionic Commando: Rearmed design becomes an alt. costume for the game.

Pompadour

Venom allows for a very unique and creative move set with the symbiote. Just look at this damn savage:

VENOM.gif

#TeamVenom

I'm not sure how Venom would play in this game because, at first glance, his old moveset doesn't seem conducive to having alternate costumes. Venom morphs like a Guilty Gear character and when GG made the jump to 3D the way they animated the characters essentially made giving them alternate costumes impossible (or, at least, extremely expensive).

Village

Honestly I knew they really shouldn't of made this game in a period where Marvel is on a constant crusade against Fox.

Eh, when do you want them to make the game

Fox is making money, and despite failing with the FF multiple times, is content with constantly rebooting them. They do not want to give them the rights back unless they have completely wrung the blood dry in the popular consciousness. Or Disney spends an obscene amount of money on those characters return

so that would be a while

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I wonder if they are going to overhaul the moveset like they did with Thanos?

Oh for sure, i can already see it happen, they can't reproduce those animations with the shitty graphics Infinite has so they will make him just a lame fighter with normal moves.

Edit: Just looked at some Marvel Contest of Champions Venom gameplay and ugh i know i know it's a mobile game but boy does he look boring to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOriLb2yCGc

If he's anything like in this game then fuck you Capcom.

J-Tier

Aw man, I'm a little late to the Venom-Goblin debate. I gotta get back into the groove of posting in this thread, I love talking about this stuff--I need to hype myself up again.

My snarky response:

Just wait until Edge of Goblinverse.

tangled55

I'm still not understanding the Marvel vs. Fox issue.

Marvel SOLD the movie rights to Fox. The movies Fox made were successful.

Is Marvel upset because they won't sell them back? Shouldn't there be or have been a clause in the contract stating that: "Movie rights will revert back in 25 years regardless of the success or lack there of our intellectual property"?

I just DON'T understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom