• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

I'm taking all of them combined as a whole
The Marvel side is definitely kinda shitty overall.

Like I love X Men and Spider Man characters... but almost all of those polls are filled to the brim with them. One of the list has Venom, Carnage AND Anti Venom in the top 10!!! Not enough diversity in universe representation in the Marvel poll but that just tells you that people care more about X Men and Spider Man than the MCU (on gaming forums at least). I think the list would change if taken these days though, most of these polls were taken around the time the first Avengers came.

Marvel Infinite has the polar opposite problem...no X Men, FF or Spider Man characters (yet at least).

The Capcom side is basically what I expected. UMVC3 already covered most of the main stream Capcom characters, beyond that you start getting into some really obscure stuff on the Capcom side and by then you get extremely subjective because everyone has their own obscure Capcom franchise they want in the game.

Like look at the number of votes past MMX and Gene... you are barely cracking double digits in votes.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The poll from Pixiv

CAPCOM
1. Date Masamune
2. Megaman EXE
3. X
4. Batsu Ichimonji
5. Bass EXE
6. Tessa
7. Gene
8. Harp Note
9. Sanada Yukimura
10. Sieg (Chaos Legion)
11. Kirin Armor (Female)
12. Saki Omokane
13. Leon S Kennedy
14. Akira Kazama
15. Tsuruhime - NEW
16. Ingrid
17. Jin Saotome
18. Strider Hien
19. Grey (MMZXA)
20. Jedah Dohma
21. Kyosuke Kagami
22. Nobunaga (Sengoku Basara)
23. Chuck Greene
24. Devilot - NEW
25. Regina - NEW
26. Nina (BOF2)
27. Albert W Wily (Megaman) - NEW
28. Mobile Suit Alpha (Side Arm) - NEW

MARVEL
1. Venom (Eddie Brock)
2. Ms.Marvel
3. Green Goblin
4. Hisako Ichiki (Armor) -NEW
5. Gambit
6. Psylocke
7. Songbird
8. Nico Minoru
9. Black Cat
10. Rogue
11. Lizard - NEW
12. Chase Stein
13. Carnage
14. Cloak & Dagger - NEW
15. Hope Summers
16. Mysterio
17. Thanos
18. Emma Frost
19. Red Skull - NEW
20. War Machine
21. Moon Knight
22. Darkhawk
23. Blade
24. Cable
25. Molly Hayes - NEW
26. Mockingbird - NEW
27. Beetle
28. Ultron

GameFAQs

Capcom
1. Gene - 103
2. Megaman X - 80
3. Megaman.EXE - 78
4. Classic Megaman - 67
5. Date Masamune - 51
6. M. Bison - 48
7. Asura - 35
8. Jin Satome/ Captain Commando - 34
9. Bass.EXE - 32
10. Jon Talbain - 30

Next 5 Honorable Mentions (Capcom)
1. Nina (BoF)
2. Ryu (BoF)
3. Samanosuke/ Hayato
4. Regina
5. Nero

Marvel
1. Gambit - 88
2. Venom - 74
3. Ms. Marvel - 69
4. Psylocke - 55
5. Moon Knight - 46
6. Doctor Octopus - 43
7. Green Goblin - 39
8. Loki - 38
9. Songbird/ Thanos - 34
10. Black Panther - 33

Next 5 Honorable Mentions (Marvel)
1. Carnage
2. Cyclops
3. Daredevil
4. Nightcrawler/ Juggernaut/ Squirrel Girl
5. Anti-Venom

Dahbomb

What the hell is PIXIV even anyway?

These people have to be some ultra nerds to have some of those characters up there.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Captain Marvel (formerly Ms. Marvel) and Mega Man X are two of first four characters being confirmed, and they placed at top 5 constantly during UMVC3 DLC polls.

saCrmCz.gif

I figure that the polls are the reason why Venom is going to be part of base roster as well, along with Jedah.

Soulstar

I really just want Lei Lei back and for them to do it right this time. What they did to my fave VS character still makes me sad. It's probably why I am not as negative about this game as other people. Sure there are a few things that are pretty bad but nothing they could do can disappoint me as much as what they did with Lei Lei.

the UMVC3 mods are doing some cool things with Hsienko

I wonder if any new characters would make the top 10 of the Capcom side now if other polls were conducted? Maybe a Baker, but I doubt it. Asura would move up, Gene move down(?),

JAXXX

the UMVC3 mods are doing some cool things with Hsienko

I wonder if any new characters would make the top 10 of the Capcom side now if other polls were conducted? Maybe a Baker, but I doubt it. Asura would move up, Gene move down(?),

Yeah but they are over nerfing the top tiers.

Dahbomb

No one wants Hsien Ko back because that MVC atrocity ain't fucking Hsien Ko

From crazy rushdown character to assist gimmick, fuck off Neo G

mas8705

So I was thinking... Not too hard obviously, but just enough... What if we find out that "Monster Hunter" wasn't actually a Monster Hunter but rather a Prowler?

Not sure if that would either kill the buzz for some people or get people more hype to have a team that is a Cat and a Raccoon team up. Not to mention that thanks to Generations and Double Cross, there are probably tons of fun moves that could be given to make the Prowler a dangerous character. Of course, if it is a regular hunter, that only begs to question what kind of weapon they will have (and if monsters will be apart of the special attacks).

TreIII

So I was thinking... Not too hard obviously, but just enough... What if we find out that "Monster Hunter" wasn't actually a Monster Hunter but rather a Prowler?

Not sure if that would either kill the buzz for some people or get people more hype to have a team that is a Cat and a Raccoon team up. Not to mention that thanks to Generations and Double Cross, there are probably tons of fun moves that could be given to make the Prowler a dangerous character. Of course, if it is a regular hunter, that only begs to question what kind of weapon they will have (and if monsters will be apart of the special attacks).

It'd be funny, but I don't think they'd do it. Which is sad, too, considering that I think the Prowlers tend to have more interesting moves to pull from, like the "Rath-O-Meow" tank and such.

But we're probably going to get a (boring) Great Sword moveset, and that will be that.

vg260

Yeah especially the PC version of MvC looks so pristine. The CA in Infinite results in some real nasty image quality.

I hope they see the complaints about this and realize they're actively making the game look worse, and completely disable it. There's no reason at all for it to be on. It does nothing to achieve a "cinematic" look. It's easily correctable too.

I don't want a toggle either, as this is going to be a spectator game too and should be pleasant to look at. Just turn it off by default.

Coda

I hope they see the complaints about this and realize they're actively making the game look worse, and completely disable it. There's no reason at all for it to be on. It does nothing to achieve a "cinematic" look. It's easily correctable too.

I don't want a toggle either, as this is going to be a spectator game too and should be pleasant to look at. Just turn it off by default.

I agree, it just makes the game blurrier and that doesn't automatically achieve a cinematic look. I don't see why you wouldn't want your game to look as sharp as possible if you're a game developer.

So how much faith do we have that they can coordinate marketing enough to make a teaser for Peter Parker next week ala Rocket's snippet?

I'll put a solid 65%. And if it doesn't show up, the movie comes out so I'll get my fix regardless 💯

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'll take Jedah but no more Darkstalkers if it aint Demitri.

JeTmAn81

What give Venom that kind of staying power? He was a flop in his one movie appearance and I have no idea what they're doing with his comics currently. Also it's been like 20 years since he was in a Capcom fighting game.

Neoxon

What give Venom that kind of staying power? He was a flop in his one movie appearance and I have no idea what they're doing with his comics currently. Also it's been like 20 years since be was in a Capcom fighting game.
Same thing that's giving Gambit his staying power, 90's nostalgia.

vg260

What give Venom that kind of staying power? He was a flop in his one movie appearance and I have no idea what they're doing with his comics currently. Also it's been like 20 years since be was in a Capcom fighting game.

I think it mostly has to do with what was most popular when the current biggest demographic were kids.

Nyoro SF

I don't know which version you have been following but they have not been over nerfing top tiers.

The first version they had over nerfed top tiers but they scaled that back once they realized the buffs they have been giving others. As it stands right now, something like ChrisG's Morrigan/Doom/Vergil team is fully in tact.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18mw1hIoS9OcNWZy9uuLCUj6qQyxmXSvJGLpztmQvQbc/edit

Yo this mod is hype. Viewtiful Joe can do 3 RHKs in the air and they can all OTG! TvC style!

Dahbomb

Most people consider Venom the main arch rival of Spider Man. Look at how popular rival characters are in fiction.

Same reason why Zero, Vergil, Wesker, Akuma, Sasuke, Vegeta, Date Masamune etc. are popular characters.

And then because he became so popular, they made him out into an anti-hero of sorts and that further cemented his status and fandom.

It has very little to do with "lul 90s fad". 90s fad is Carnage who is an unnecessary knock off.

Guys... I just can't.

I give up trying to be excited for this game. Everything about it feels off, and DLC generally does not bother me but seeing that last trailer from E3 having Black Panther and Sigma (one of the main villains) in the story cutscenes... then them having the audacity to slap "PREORDER NOW TO PLAY AS THE CHARACTER YOU CLEARLY JUST SAW!"

I just can't. Just going to watch this one on streams and videos I think.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Venom just has a dope premise, a dope design that goes with it, and is an incredibly fitting and contrasting counterpart to Spider-Man. Timeless design that has been validated for years now.

I generally don't understand the backlash against prominent 90s characters in comics, though. Especially in the case of great designs like Venom, but also for some other characters like Gambit who has one of the damn coolest, memorable, and unique power sets of any character. Throwing energy charged cards to wreck shit is cool, whether you like the trenchoat or not. Magneto is the same.

kirblar

Venom just has a dope premise, a dope design that goes with it, and is an incredibly fitting and contrasting counterpart to Spider-Man. Timeless design that has been validated for years now.
Yup. This wasn't a flash in the can '90s thing, he pretty much became THE evil controlling black goop monster that spawns stuff like RE7 to this day.

Jawmuncher

One of the things I love most is despite people talking shit on Venom as being a bad Spidey Villain you can't knock him down. Despite shit like Spider-Man 3, he's as popular as ever.

Neoxon

Guys... I just can't.

I give up trying to be excited for this game. Everything about it feels off, and DLC generally does not bother me but seeing that last trailer from E3 having Black Panther and Sigma (one of the main villains) in the story cutscenes... then them having the audacity to slap "PREORDER NOW TO PLAY AS THE CHARACTER YOU CLEARLY JUST SAW!"

I just can't. Just going to watch this one on streams and videos I think.
It's talking about the Deluxe Edition. And if it's anything like SFV's DLC roll-out, I wouldn't expect the first 2 characters until a month after launch.

Dahbomb

I wonder if 20 years from now we are going to look back at this MCU fad and be like "damn I can't believe people actually were hyped for Antman and Dr Strange movies..."

Neoxon

I wonder if 20 years from now we are going to look back at this MCU fad and be like "damn I can't believe people actually were hyped for Ant-Man and Doctor Strange movies..."
Seeing as both of them are now household names, I doubt they'll fade away with how Marvel's pushing them.

Also, at this point, the MCU seems like it's less of a fad & more of a rising tide.

Dahbomb

Seeing as both of them are now household names, I doubt they'll fade away with how Marvel's pushing them.
I am sure people once said that about characters like Gambit and Venom once. Or like Blade.

You know.. that Marvel character that has 3 blockbuster movies made around.

vg260

Most people consider Venom the main arch rival of Spider Man. Look at how popular rival characters are in fiction.

Same reason why Zero, Vergil, Wesker, Akuma, Sasuke, Vegeta, Date Masamune etc. are popular characters.

And then because he became so popular, they made him out into an anti-hero of sorts and that further cemented his status and fandom.

It has very little to do with "lul 90s fad". 90s fad is Carnage who is an unnecessary knock off.

I think it does very much have to do with 90s nostalgia, just not as a "fad" necessarily. It was the rivalry of the time just as Green Goblin was the arch rival if you grew up in the 80s, so different ages have different attachments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom