• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Didn't her new powers come up really recently?

Like three issues ago, yeah. Relatedly, buy The Unbelievable Gwenpool it's legit amazing.

I hate Zero. Just because it's who my friend always plays as and that character can be annoying for me to handle and I don't have any of the characters I used to use to handle his ass (Felecia, Viewtiful Joe, and Wesker)

I hate Spencer. He's just so annoying to deal with.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
On a unrelated but related note, I think Max is right when he says he thinks the full roster is pretty much what we've been given already. And that's a bummer.

0SQltNP.gif

WE MUST NOT GIVE UP OUR HOPE! NOT RIGHT NOW! We still have 10 more days!

Ryce

I'd love to be wrong, but I can't help but think that the remaining DLC characters for this year are going to be Venom, Winter Soldier, Hunter, and Grandmaster Meio (yes, I know he was apparently referred to as an NPC, which wouldn't be inaccurate for story mode). I'm expecting an SFV situation where all of the year one DLC characters appear in the story. It's just an inexplicable gut feeling.

Neoxon

I'd love to be wrong, but I can't help but think that the remaining DLC characters for this year are going to be Venom, Winter Soldier, Hunter, and Grandmaster Meio (yes, I know he was apparently referred to as an NPC, which wouldn't be inaccurate for story mode). I'm expecting an SFV situation where all of the year one DLC characters appear in the story. It's just an inexplicable gut feeling.
Venom being Season 1 DLC flies in the face of the "All-New" part of the Season 1 advertising, as mentioned numerous times in the past (and given how Capcom USA advertised SFV Season 2, their wording on this kind of stuff tends to hold up). But on top of that, as you brought up, Meio was confirmed to be an NPC & nothing more. From the sound of it, they don't seem to have any plans to make Grandmaster Meio playable, otherwise they wouldn't have been so cut-&-dry about it at the panel (unlike Green Goblin, who they kinda teased as being playable later down the road). As for Venom, he could very well be Season 2. But given how they've been advertising Season 1 thus far, I have my doubts about Venom being a part of it.

Monster Hunter & Winter Soldier on the other hand line up with the current advertising that Season 1 is nothing but MvC newcomers. If Venom ends up being in the base roster, then we'd need a Capcom character to go with him (hence Monster Hunter). But if Venom ends up being Season 2, then yeah, maybe the Monster Hunter is in Season 1.

sinkfla87

0SQltNP.gif

WE MUST NOT GIVE UP OUR HOPE! NOT RIGHT NOW! We still have 10 more days!

I'm trying so hard to hold onto my hope but I see it slipping further away from me as I float in the waters of the Titanic crash that is this games PR lol. Venom being base roster would actually make me count down the days until I can play this game. Right now I'm just mildly excited :/.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Akuma and Taskmaster's announcement date is Jan 17, 2011
Hsien-Ko and Sentinel's announcement date is Jan 27, 2011
MVC3's release date is Feb 15, 2011

I'm trying so hard to hold onto my hope but I see it slipping further away from me as I float in the waters of the Titanic crash that is this games PR lol. Venom being base roster would actually make me count down the days until I can play this game. Right now I'm just mildly excited :/.

then swim with all your mights to survive the wreck. :p

Ryce

Venom being Season 1 DLC flies in the face of the "All-New" part of the Season 1 advertising, as mentioned numerous times in the past (and given how Capcom USA advertised SFV Season 2, their wording on this kind of stuff tends to hold up). But on top of that, as you brought up, Meio was confirmed to be an NPC & nothing more. From the sound of it, they don't seem to have any plans to make Grandmaster Meio playable, otherwise they wouldn't have been so cut-&-dry about it at the panel (unlike Green Goblin, who they kinda teased as being playable). As for Venom, he could very well be Season 2. But given how they've been advertising Season 1 thus far, I have my doubts about Venom being a part of it.
I've learned to stop being so over-analytical about every word Capcom says. It's easy to say that Venom doesn't qualify for DLC because of the "all-new" descriptor, but in the event that he somehow is DLC, it'd be just as easy to retroactively justify the decision with "he was built up from scratch since he wasn't in the previous game," "all-new doesn't necessarily mean newcomer," and so on.

I'm not saying Venom absolutely won't be on the base roster, but I don't see the point in pretending there's some mandate that prevents him from being DLC. Video game publishers are often misleading or outright wrong in the language they use. The same goes for Meio -- the language used at Comic-Con doesn't entirely disqualify him from being DLC a few months after release. He would technically still be a story mode NPC.

Given how Capcom has handled the marketing up until now, I'm not putting a lot of faith in them revealing Venom and Hunter as surprise base roster characters in the weeks leading up to release. But again, I'd love to be wrong.

Venom, Monster Hunter, Winter Soldier, and another character will be added to the final base roster. Probably delusional thinking given what we know, but I believe.

Man this hoping that the roster has slightly more newcomers is really a bummer when you think about it. We should be hyped up at this point already for the base roster and not playing this game of hoping certain characters aren't dlc....

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I just realized MvCI and Pokken DX come out within days of each other.

Any bets on which will sell more: the game releasing on an install base of ~150 million or the game releasing on an install base of ~5 million?

Any bets on which will sell more: the game releasing on an install base of ~150 million or the game releasing on an install base of ~5 million?

Well Pokken is confirmed trash

Marvel is just 95% likely to be trash

FSLink

Banned

Pokken DX because the Switch is popular/Pokken Tournament sold pretty well despite being on the Wii U. Plus I'm betting Capcom will fuck up the launch somehow.

JeTmAn81

I hate Zero. Just because it's who my friend always plays as and that character can be annoying for me to handle and I don't have any of the characters I used to use to handle his ass (Felecia, Viewtiful Joe, and Wesker)

How on Earth did Wesker and Felicia help you fight Zero

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
they COULD have been lying about Meio btw, it wouldnt be the first time a dev says something about a game because "oh shit they know" and then it was actually true.

SaikyoBro

Yeah I've lost all hope in any characters beyond the 30 we know of being included in the base game. It's nice to think maybe they're holding back some key newcomers to surprise us but I think with what a disaster this game's marketing has been it's a much safer bet that they're simply not in the game.

To be honest it doesn't bother me much since I'm getting the season pass anyway, but it's upsetting to know that they put even less effort into the game than our already lowered expectations. Sales and reviews will definitely reflect this, which isn't good news for anybody. And if Ryce is right about Winter Soldier and Meio being the remaining characters on the season pass, while I like the idea of both additions, it would really suck that we've basically known about them since June thanks to the ZIP leak. I really, really want this game to surprise me for once.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ryce, I hate to say that but man, you have become more cynical than usual so I guess the disappointment of marvel vs capcom infinite really done it for you? :\

Depends on people who are willing to double dip the game. I know Pokken sold over 1M for dying console (Wii U) so that was pretty good sales however I think Pokken DX is more likely to sell very well. I would guess about 1.5-2M.

Ryce

Ryce, I hate to say that but man, you have become more cynical than usual so I guess the disappointment of marvel vs capcom infinite really done it for you? :\
It doesn't matter how fun the game is -- there are just so many baffling decisions concerning the roster, music, voice work, visuals, and overall presentation that have completely killed my excitement. I just can't get hyped for a new Marvel vs. Capcom game with only two (potentially three!) Capcom newcomers. The roster is the most appealing aspect of a crossover fighter for me, and Capcom and Marvel have utterly shit the bed. It's unbelievable -- it truly doesn't feel real -- that this is the game we're getting after six years of speculation, hopes, and dreams.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It doesn't matter how fun the game is -- there are just so many baffling decisions concerning the roster, music, voice work, visuals, and overall presentation that have completely killed my excitement. I just can't get hyped for a new Marvel vs. Capcom game with only two (potentially three!) Capcom newcomers. The roster is the most appealing aspect of a crossover fighter for me, and Capcom and Marvel have utterly shit the bed. It's unbelievable -- it truly doesn't feel real -- that this is the game we're getting after six years of speculation, hopes, and dreams.

Fair enough. You got legit complaints there, and I'm trying to hope they would bounce back at the end. I guess we will see what would happens at the end, and what they could do with future contents.

Mugy

At least im hoping that Winter Soldier plays similar to Nick Fury

EDIT: I meant, similar to what i think Nick Fury would play in a MVC game.

Tyrant and Max have done a lot more to keep the hype going than Marvel or Capcom. This says something, considering *they don't work for either company* nor will see any of them millions the game's sales will still bring in?

Like shit, they could have even given builds and info along the way to bloggers and let them run with it, they probably would've done it for free. Legit just send them what you're working on anyway and boom, instant grassroots crowdsourced hype.

It sucks because the game is looking better and better but they refuse to say anything substantial. I'm still gonna have lots of fun with it but they're totally letting the air out.

Mugy

And how do you think Nick Fury would play in an MvC game?

I expected something between Chris Redfield and C.Viper. Rushdown gun attacks with some keep-away weapons and command grabs. Maybe using some SHIELD technology throw there for the supers or something.

I don't know, but i always liked the idea of Nick Fury in an MVC game.

shaowebb

Tyrant and Max have done a lot more to keep the hype going than Marvel or Capcom. This says something, considering *they don't work for either company* nor will see any of them millions the game's sales will still bring in?

Like shit, they could have even given builds and info along the way to bloggers and let them run with it, they probably would've done it for free. Legit just send them what you're working on anyway and boom, instant grassroots crowdsourced hype.

It sucks because the game is looking better and better but they refuse to say anything substantial.

Credit where its due on Max. He has pushed the game saying it is fun but he has not turned a blind eye to its issues. He's right there with all our own feelings here...its a great game to play but its roster is super stale, its story felt shallow, and its hard to forgive the game considering what they got doesn't look sharp graphically. Its plays well and at launch it'll have an extremely low number of new cast. Its returning cast has some odd exclusions like no Clover cast and Nemesis over Wesker and no Vergil. Plus the huge thing that all the really hype new cast seem to be behind a paywall.

Max loves to play the game but hats off to him for still calling it like it is...pretty rough and it earns all the bad word of mouth its gotten for the questionable decisions they've made with this title's development.

We all hope for some good news so that some goodwill can finally be deserved and so that Marvel can start to turn around in everyone's minds as a better thing that what it currently is. Not sure if we'll see that happen though.

Blueblur1

Its truly baffling. It is my sincere hope that the day one update and continuous updates improve the entire game experience but I'm not willing to bet on it. Its a damn shame that when a new MvC game finally got greenlit it did so with a presumably tiny budget and has been kneecapped by horrible decisions from both the Capcom and Marvel sides.

Credit where its due on Max. He has pushed the game saying it is fun but he has not turned a blind eye to its issues.

Yup, he has been as good as anyone could be for a realistic fan/enthusiast. Kudos.

The self-inflicted damage of the game's marketing/PR is sorry to see. Let's hope they right the ship.

SFV had a rocky start but has its moments and people will continue coming around on it. There's always another lightning rod to move onto, plus the game is actually becoming more complete.

Pending any hidden surprises, the modes for MvCI should be adequate. They could go a step further with 2v2 but they need to get the basics right first, hahaha.

The roster will eventually be fixed via DLC and sales on the game/package proper. I imagine the word of mouth damage will already be done so they should start looking at making this game as a service feel complete and worthy of the asking price.

---

I'd be so down for Captain Commando style Coulson.

Its truly baffling. It is my sincere hope that the day one update and continuous updates improve the entire game experience but I'm not willing to bet on it. Its a damn shame that when a new MvC game finally got greenlit it did so with a presumably tiny budget and has been kneecapped by horrible decisions from both the Capcom and Marvel sides.

This and Ryce's post echoes my thoughts. I'm looking forward to playing the game, but my excitement is nowhere near where I'd like it to be for a friggin Vs game. Capcom and Marvel have done a horrendous job with this game. The actual gameplay is the only redeeming point.

Neoxon

Just to gauge everyone's opinions, thoughts on the character designs for the characters (not the execution of said designs)?

FSLink

Banned

Yep. Remember how for vanilla MvC3 we were having a lot of fun trying to guess who's in the roster?

And then in UMvC3, where the new characters were leaked, we still had fun trying to guess at how they'd play? And there were oddball picks like Rocket Raccoon and Nova and people not knowing wtf is going on?

Or for those who've followed Smash news, how people get hyped over trying to guess who's in the character roster, and getting hyped when Mega Man, Cloud, etc. were confirmed.

There's no excitement of that kind here. It's mostly all doom and gloom. :(

Just to gauge everyone's opinions, thoughts on the character designs for the characters (not the execution of said designs)?

Mostly fine. Don't mind the current costumes they're using for Marvel side, but Capcom's are baffling due to how much stuff they reused. Who the hell wanted the Bionic Commando remake Spencer instead of Rearmed Spencer?

Ryce

I'm not a fan of the contemporary comic/MCU-inspired designs on the Marvel side, but I understand why they went in that direction. I like my Doctor Strange with gloves and tights.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Don't like Captain Marvel with long hair, and even if he were proportioned like a human, Captain America would look off with those colours. They also chose the most boring type of outfit for Hawkguy and Gamora, Strange's pants and lack of gloves looks weird and makes it look like he's just wearing a cape over a regular lounging outfit. I don't like Rocket's outfit. The rest are fine. I particularly like this Ultron. Real menacing.

Capcom side, I think they should have revamped Spencer a bit, maybe gone for another Dante outfit, same with Chris. Outside of looking like trash (which would be execution), most of the designs are fine.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I actually really like Hawkeye's costume in the game.

Hopefully we get a Hawkguy costume in the future tho.

Neoxon

For me, I'm indifferent towards Cap, Hawkeye, Rocket, & Doctor Strange's design changes since they were likely Marvel-mandated to line up with the MCU & the recent cartoons. I'm okay with Gamora's look, but it constantly reminds me of the Bendis run of Guardians that I despise. Thanos' new look is just his modern look from the comics, which I'm cool with. And while I was hoping for Ramon Perez's Nova design, I get that it's too recent.

Jawmuncher

How on Earth did Wesker and Felicia help you fight Zero

Casual play here. But Felecia's quick combos and her forward spin can keep Zero on lock. Wesker with the pistol and teleport stun does the same thing as well or just spamming his special due to the priority.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Speak of Inhuman, if we can pick three characters from that group, what would you pick?

1. Ms. Marvel
2. Medusa
3. Kid Kaiju

I think Kid Kaiju would be crazy out of place character who could summons the creatures out of his paper with his special arts.

Capcom is the one giving them access to these builds for the sole purpose of showing off the footage.

The EVO builds had direct feed output specifically so that people could record matches. Capcom reps were playing with Max and helping him learn the game.

Matt Edwards from Capcom is bringing builds to various UK events so that Tyrant can record footage.

It's not Tyrant/Max. It's Tyrant/Max WITH Capcom's help. This isn't an accident. That's the entire point of letting them record all this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom