• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaikyoBro

To be perfectly clear I haven't heard anything new but I'm almost 100% with Ryce on the remaining season 1 characters - MH, Venom, Meio and Winter Soldier (the only other scenario I wouldn't be surprised by would be Ant-Man instead of Venom, falling in line with the all-new descriptor).

The only reliable trend with this game and its roster, as much as I hate to say it, is to take everything at face value and expect a little bit less than that. We know there are story NPCs that presumably don't participate in any fights at all (MODOK) and they weren't listed in the ZIP leak, so I'm going to go ahead and prepare myself to expect that the S1 characters are all in the files that we've already seen. Capcom hasn't given us any reason to expect anything different.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
To be perfectly clear I haven't heard anything new but I'm almost 100% with Ryce on the remaining season 1 characters - MH, Venom, Meio and Winter Soldier (the only other scenario I wouldn't be surprised by would be Ant-Man instead of Venom, falling in line with the all-new descriptor).

The only reliable trend with this game and its roster, as much as I hate to say it, is to take everything at face value and expect a little bit less than that. We know there are story NPCs that presumably don't participate in any fights at all (MODOK) and they weren't listed in the ZIP leak, so I'm going to go ahead and prepare myself to expect that the S1 characters are all in the files that we've already seen. Capcom hasn't given us any reason to expect anything different.

pretty much. I cant understand people that believe the zip leak, and yet keep hoping to get stuff outside the zip leak. It's either or really.

JayEH

tribal24

Banned

Yup now onto season 2 lol I want the X-Men Vs SF pack to be a reality for DLC 8 character DLC Pack with Storm, Cyclops, Wolverine, + one new Xmen and Akuma, Bison, Viper, Rashid finishing off the list.

SaikyoBro

This is just a guess but I get the impression that the only reason MODOK isn't playable is because, without him in the background, there's not much to indicate the AIMbrella stage has anything to do with AIM or RE, it's just a generic lab, lol. Not a great excuse but that really might be their line of thinking (he'd also require a Capcom counterpart to be ported over, which time/laziness might not have allowed before launch). I have a good feeling he'll be DLC next year.

Jawmuncher

This is just a guess but I get the impression that the only reason MODOK isn't playable is because, without him in the background, there's not much to indicate the AIMbrella stage has anything to do with AIM or RE, it's just a generic lab, lol. Not a great excuse but that really might be their line of thinking (he'd also require a Capcom counterpart to be ported over, which time/laziness might not have allowed before launch). I have a good feeling he'll be DLC next year.

Don't remind me. i'm still mad that RE got such a lazy level.
Even the concept art had jack shit for RE.

vg260

What about Green Goblin?
(was there any footage of that panel where alluded to)

DR2K

Banned

I just don't see anyone buying winter solider or grand master. That's the biggest problem with them being DLC. That's the one area Capcom should be trying in

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I would probably say Death from Capcom is the last Capcom character before I could put together a good argument for Meio. And we already had an interview where Death from Marvel was referenced and it's 99% from Marvel.

They're all NPCs. I don't think the remaining DLC characters will all be from the story. We already know they created characters just to be NPCs for the Story Mode. Venom, TWS, Meio, Dahren, etc. all make up that category.

Jawmuncher

I would probably say Death from Capcom is the last Capcom character before I could put together a good argument for Meio. And we already had an interview where Death from Marvel was referenced.

They're all NPCs. I don't think the remaining DLC characters will all be from the story. We already know they created characters just to be NPCs for the Story Mode. Venom, TWS, Meio, Dahren, etc. all make up that category.

Yeah I don't think they're all tied to the story either. Or at least that one capcom unknown for the roster. Though I doubt it's Death from Capcom All Stars. I see Death from Marvel happening before him.

They wanna talk about people not remembering the Xmen. They're going into the fucking deepest vault for that guy.

SaikyoBro

What about Green Goblin?
(was there any footage of that panel where alluded to)

He could possibly stand in for Venom as well but we're at the point where they're presumably planning 2018 characters, I think it could be more likely they're working on him for next year instead.

As far as Winter Soldier and Grandmaster Meio's popularity goes, I think Capcom is probably either oblivious or doesn't care. Look at SFV - no disrespect to Kolin, Ed or Abigail, but I can only assume a pack of fan-favorites would've made them a lot more money. Maybe all of S1 was planned for the base game and became DLC later on, maybe they just really thought Meio was necessary to the story and had a moveset planned out for him early on, we don't really know what the situation is. But the safe bet imo is to just stick to the ZIP leak until we get something else.

Ryce

I just don't see anyone buying winter solider or grand master. That's the biggest problem with them being DLC. That's the one area Capcom should be trying in
People might be inclined to buy them if they had interesting move sets. Meio in particular could be a really unique fighter with all of the crazy abilities he has access to in the Strider series. DLC characters aren't always immediately appealing (see Abigail), and I doubt every single character over the course of this game's lifetime is going to be highly requested. There should be room for someone like Meio every now and again.

Jawmuncher

I just find a lot of these picks odd.
You'd think for the first 6 DLC characters. You'd go in hard with fan favorites much like SFV Season 1 did. Like I'd have thought anyone in the Top 5 from all of the polls tallied up from MVC3 would basically be a lock.

JayEH

If the dlc is what we think it is it makes the "i was on youtube for 2 months looking up dream rosters" statement even weirder.

Keits

Developer
My guess as to why MODOK isnt playable?

Retargeting reaction animations between 'normal' two leg, two arm characters is a lot less expensive than making them work by hand on odd characters like MODOK, Ammy, and Shuma. Even Tron is basically animating two characters in one in a lot of ways.

I hope that 3rd capcom DLC slot goes to Dr Wihwee or Lady. But I agree its probably Meio.

Jawmuncher

If the dlc is what we think it is it makes the "i was on youtube for 2 months looking up dream rosters" statement even weirder.

Yeah. Unless they have like a Full-On roster already planned out for their service length (Which is possible). The whole youtube research thing is odd when you look at what got picked.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Yeah. Unless they have like a Full-On roster already planned out for their service length (Which is possible). The whole youtube research thing is odd when you look at what got picked.

That's what they implied, I thought? Back in that interview, they said they had the DLC set by that point.

SaikyoBro

This isn't really related but has anyone else noticed that this series almost seems hesitant to have Street Fighter content in it anymore? 3 had no SF stages, no SF H&H cards, not even any SF characters on the poster in Days of Future Past. This game continues the trend of having no SF stages (don't tell me there aren't any good ones to use, SFV has an amazing selection), and on top of that their number of characters was cut in half with no newcomers. Not cool. :[

Maybe they just want to keep the two series distant so that people who don't typically like 2D fighting games won't be put off? Eh, I don't know, it's just weird one of their flagship franchises still doesn't even have a stage.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Upon rewatching the trailer:

- SymbioteHuge has a green Spider-Logo on it's underbelly. Probably some Nemesis/T-Virus thing going on. Definitely infects Spider-Man as Spidey is attacking away from it, and the symbiote is definitely present in AIMbrella because you can see it's residue on a dead soldier in front of Nemesis.
- Ultron has both the stones, not Ultron Sigma. Found that odd, dunno why Ultron would need Sigma and to fuse with him if he already has two of the stones.
- Seems like Dr. Wily talks to the heroes after Ultron or Jedah attacks Avengers Tower, as the screens are busted up. Jedah probably helps bust Thanos out?
- Cannot be understated how good Nova looks. Incredible model. Brief close up on Black Panther is great too.
- Hawkeye getting hit with Thor's deflected hammer is like the funniest thing

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Upon rewatching the trailer:

- SymbioteHuge has a green Spider-Logo on it's underbelly. Probably some Nemesis/T-Virus thing going on. Definitely infects Spider-Man as Spidey is attacking away from it, and the symbiote is definitely present in AIMbrella because you can see it's residue on a dead soldier in front of Nemesis.
- Ultron has both the stones, not Ultron Sigma. Found that odd, dunno why Ultron would need Sigma and to fuse with him if he already has two of the stones.
- Seems like Dr. Wily talks to the heroes after Ultron or Jedah attacks Avengers Tower, as the screens are busted up. Jedah probably helps bust Thanos out?
- Cannot be understated how good Nova looks. Incredible model. Brief close up on Black Panther is great too.
- Hawkeye getting hit with Thor's deflected hammer is like the funniest thing

"Ultron" might just be a shortened Ultron Sigma, he seems to have subsumed Sigma, which kinda bothers me.

Eighting can't make good graphics!
Look at this shit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FJNrXfogsk

Same fucking style of MvC I

Ummm... Eighting isn't working on MvCI as far as we know? It's being developed internally.

vg260

This isn't really related but has anyone else noticed that this series almost seems hesitant to have Street Fighter content in it anymore? 3 had no SF stages, no SF H&H cards, not even any SF characters on the poster in Days of Future Past. This game continues the trend of having no SF stages (don't tell me there aren't any good ones to use, SFV has an amazing selection), and on top of that their number of characters was cut in half with no newcomers. Not cool. :[

Maybe they just want to keep the two series distant so that people who don't typically like 2D fighting games won't be put off? Eh, I don't know, it's just weird one of their flagship franchises still doesn't even have a stage.

One stage is fine, but I'm totally OK with minimal SF.

Ryce

Ummm... Eighting isn't working on MvCI as far as we know? It's being developed internally.
A game like MvCI requires at least 100 employees, and there's no way that Capcom has that kind of manpower set aside for something like this. There's barely enough internal staffing to support their bigger projects like Resident Evil and Monster Hunter as it is. There's no doubt in my mind that the end credits will throw Capcom's in-house claim out the window.

I just find a lot of these picks odd.
You'd think for the first 6 DLC characters. You'd go in hard with fan favorites much like SFV Season 1 did. Like I'd have thought anyone in the Top 5 from all of the polls tallied up from MVC3 would basically be a lock.

Venom doesn't fit that criteria?

Capcom has like over 2000 employees. It's not like seven dudes working on one project but I do assume there's crossover.

Hell BN Games has like 900.

SaikyoBro

Retargeting reaction animations between 'normal' two leg, two arm characters is a lot less expensive than making them work by hand on odd characters like MODOK, Ammy, and Shuma. Even Tron is basically animating two characters in one in a lot of ways.

That moment when you realize every single one of those characters is cut and all of the newcomers are humanoid :[

I don't know though, I'm sure some additional work would be required but we already know 99% of their animations would be from the last game anyway, wouldn't most of their hit reactions be as well? As far as those four characters go it was probably a matter of relevance and time constraints. I do think having zero oddly-shaped characters is pretty disappointing, they're part of what made the last game's roster so much fun. At least we still have some tiny guys in the form of Arthur and Rocket.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Apologies if this has been answered already but do we know yet if SRK motions are 100% removed? I certainly hope not..

Jawmuncher

Probably a mistranslation or a marvel character I don't know about. But it's funny thinking of mcdonalds as this evil corporation controlling AIMBRELLA

ab2kkix.png

Lol the auto translation is pretty funny

asyis4g.png

JayEH

fb1rWg5.png

They changed Dante....and he still doesn't look great. Now he looks like a surfer dude.

tiBUqtJ.png

Chun Li look better.

Improved Dante? Just no freaky look in the eyes at the very least?

Skin looks better, even.

that render was always on the character select screen and looked good. We'll have to see if they updated his win screen.

Jawmuncher

I like how they didn't even bother with Spencer.
"Dude's fucking D-Tier already don't waste resources on him"
You reap what you sow combofiend

Regardless seems Chris, Dante, and Chun Li were the capcom characters that got touched up.
Frank, Spencer, and the rest all look the same. Though really only Spencer looked really bad.
Frank has an odd avatar but never looked too off. His face has never been all that consistent more so that chris.
Especially when Frank is an amalgamation of multiple games. While Chris is basically nothing but RE5.

Keits

Developer
That moment when you realize every single one of those characters is cut and all of the newcomers are humanoid :[

I don't know though, I'm sure some additional work would be required but we already know 99% of their animations would be from the last game anyway, wouldn't most of their hit reactions be as well? As far as those four characters go it was probably a matter of relevance and time constraints. I do think having zero oddly-shaped characters is pretty disappointing, they're part of what made the last game's roster so much fun. At least we still have some tiny guys in the form of Arthur and Rocket.

Most, if not all, of the hit reactions in MvCi are new. You can plainly see they do not look like the hit reaction in MvC3. Also, MvCi is (maybe) the first "2d" fighter with separate reactions for being hit from behind, instead of just flipping your character to face your attacker. It also has a bunch of new damage reaction states, like burning, electric, frozen, etc.

This game also has quite a lot of grabs, hits that trigger grab reactions, and everyone has a new lv3 which also requires a reaction animation. It probably takes something like 3x as long per reaction animation on any irregular character, and this expense raises exponentially as you add more characters to the game.

I also wouldnt say that 99% of the animations are from the last game. Many idles and walk cycles are noticeably different, and there are a ton of tweaked/new attacks to accommodate the button scheme too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom