• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaikyoBro

In concept a realistic artstyle isn't a problem at all - look at Smash. Mario, Pikachu, Snake and Samus all look like they might as well have been made for the same game, usually with even more detail than the design they're based on. MvC3's comic book style was super pretty to look at, but changing it up for the sequel wouldn't have been a problem if it was pulled off well.

But I guess the art team, the budget or both were lacking in some regard and it didn't turn out as well as it needed to. All you really have to do is compare it to Injustice 2 and it's pretty easy to see there's a lot of room for improvement, people have been saying it looks like a mobile game for a reason. That said to be perfectly honest I'm still mostly glad they changed the art style just so it's easy to tell apart from 3, but it's hard not to imagine how much better it deserves to look.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wonder how the arcade endings will work. It better not be the BS from MVC3 where it's whoever gets the final hit.
I kind of liked that. At least adds some challenge to it, and plus what are you gonna do, always have it be whoever the point character is? That interferes with team building.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
1. 2 vs 2

2. good chuck of characters that would make perfect downloadable contents, like Wesker, Vergil, etc.

Which brings me to my next question: why is this game 2v2?

With a bit of tweaking they could have just as well had 3v3 with gems.

FSLink

Banned
I wonder how the arcade endings will work. It better not be the BS from MVC3 where it's whoever gets the final hit.

How in the world was that BS, that was incredibly easy to do especially in a 3v3 game. Plus yeah it'd interfere with team building if you did it any other way.

Accessibility.

It also seems to be a passion project since a lot of the MvC1 guys are on this.

tribal24

Banned

to make it casual friendly they thought controlling 3 characters with some characters just being completely assist based being to hard to juggle.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
smaller budget because of sfv flopping

But its not a budget release, they're still selling it for the same full price. Think about it from the consumers point of view, we're getting the short end of the stick.

Jawmuncher

That's how it's always been. I don't see it changing this time around.
I kind of liked that. At least adds some challenge to it, and plus what are you gonna do, always have it be whoever the point character is? That interferes with team building.
How in the world was that BS, that was incredibly easy to do especially in a 3v3 game. Plus yeah it'd interfere with team building if you did it any other way.

Accessibility.

It also seems to be a passion project since a lot of the MvC1 guys are on this.

It was Bullshit when a trophy was tied to it and Galactus had his cheap one hit kills even on Very Easy if things didn't line up right. Nothing worse than having to throw the round because the character you wanted to get the ending with died from some shenanigans.

As the roster's got bigger. Any sort of "Beat the game with all characters" should look at the team as a whole. I don't see what the issue would've been to give you the end stills for each character back to back. It just turned into busy work.

I did it in Vanilla MVC3 and never bothered again.

A lot of reasons have been said.

Firstly to allow the game to be more accessible. Having to manage two characters is easier than 3.

Second was that most players generally had a character that was used almost exclusively as an assist character anyway so they tied that functionality into infinity stones instead.

Third was that the free tag mechanics actually do seem like they'd be extremely clunky with 3 characters.

Edit: I forgot this but it was mentioned above, it seems like a lot of the dev team on this game is from Marvel Super Heroes and MvC1 so they might just prefer or be more comfortable with the 2v2 format as well.

But its not a budget release, they're still selling it for the same full price. Think about it from the consumers point of view, we're getting the short end of the stick.

Wait a week or two after release it will drop in price just like almost every other game. If the negative reaction continues into sales it will drastically drop in price. If thats not good enough to play the game then just skip it and move on plenty of other Fighting Games around.

FSLink

Banned
It was Bullshit when a trophy was tied to it and Galactus had his cheap one hit kills even on Very Easy if things didn't line up right. Nothing worse than having to throw the round because the character you wanted to get the ending with died from some shenanigans.

As the roster's got bigger. Any sort of "Beat the game with all characters" should look at the team as a whole. I don't see what the issue would've been to give you the end stills for each character back to back. It just turned into busy work.

I did it in Vanilla MVC3 and never bothered again.

....Galactus was very telegraphed. There was that huge spirit bomb like move that instant kills but if you hit Galactus enough times he'll stop charging it up. All the other moves can be advancing guard'd or jumped to avoided. Wasn't hard at all doing Very Hard + throwing the character you want at the end so the first two can be damage sponges in case you make mistakes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Why arent there any X-Men characters in this game?

FSLink

Banned
Come on man. You don't gotta bring my skill into this.

I did it way back when I didn't know actual combos for the cast and did jumping air light medium heavy S over and over. :/ I'm not meaning to knock your skill but he was way easier than say Tatsunoko vs Capcom's final boss. The only moves that give most people trouble with Galactus is that move, the spammable lasers which you can block and advance guard, and the grab move which you can escape by wiggling the joystick.

I don't really have any issues with that unlock system by itself, it was just kind of boring since gallery art + ending scenes were the only things to really unlock. Hopefully there's more stuff that isn't colors or characters because tying those to unlocks means tournament setups will often not have them all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im not sure whts sadder, the amount of gamefaqs-level trolls in this thread, or the fact that people reply to them as if their questions were actual questions and not just the most obvious of all troll baits.

"but Rhaknar people have the right to complain, why you such a Marvel fanboy?"

Youre right people do have a right to complin. Except there are those who complain and post like normal human beings, using reason and logic, whilst bringing to light obvious flaws (your Doctarine Darks, your Zero-ELECs or Jwmunchers), and then there are those that do nothing but shit drive by troll posts now and then and contribute nothing to the discussion.

Read the OP

giphy.gif

so Max says the Soul stone is what we think it is and way more, and with the MvC 1 teases he did earlier, I assume the Soul Storm ressurects your dead partner and you control both at the same time?

This is how I think it will go too

Perhaps when the infinity surge runs out if the character is KO'd they go back to being so and if the character is not, they simply go back offscreen?

FSLink

Banned
This is how I think it will go too

Perhaps when the infinity surge runs out if the character is KO'd they go back to being so and if the character is not, they simply go back offscreen?

Yeah, that'd seem like a better way of balancing it as well instead of potentially making another Dark Phoenix situation where you gotta kill her again.

It'd also be a fun nod to MvC1.

It'd also be cool if this music played but with how the sound design is looking in this game I doubt it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rstUuS7s4RI

DR2K

Banned
Awesome! Hopefully you would able to enjoy the game like some of us here.

I liked SFxT, and the game play videos from UM Tyrant and Max are genuinely good.

I'll alsp pretend Captain Marvel is Rogue with a bad hair style and annoying voice over. Plus Jedah/Morrigan/Chun/green ladt not She hulk look fun

im not sure whts sadder, the amount of gamefaqs-level trolls in this thread, or the fact that people reply to them as if their questions were actual questions and not just the most obvious of all troll baits.

"but Rhaknar people have the right to complain, why you such a Marvel fanboy?"

Youre right people do have a right to complin. Except there are those who complain and post like normal human beings, using reason and logic, whilst bringing to light obvious flaws (your Doctarine Darks, your Zero-ELECs or Jwmunchers), and then there are those that do nothing but shit drive by troll posts now and then and contribute nothing to the discussion.]
but Rhaknar people have the right to complain, why you such a Marvel fanboy?

Jawmuncher

You know after everything. I'm probably still getting this game. I realized even with the lack of newcomers. It's the only real title I'm excited for in some capacity for the rest of the year. That capcom fanboy gets me everytime.

Rhaknar

GAMORA - DANTE - ULTRON - ZERO - MEGAMAN X - FRANK WEST - Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5hx0-isZdc

peeps playing have no idea what they're doing unfortunately

You know after everything. I'm probably still getting this game. I realized even with the lack of newcomers. It's the only real title I'm excited for in some capacity for the rest of the year. That capcom fanboy gets me everytime.

I mean you said "ill wait for a sale" when the game is already 50% off (technically more) on cdkeys, so like, what kind of sale will you be waiting for? :p

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I liked SFxT, and the game play videos from UM Tyrant and Max are genuinely good.
SFxT is much maligned, but the game itself is enjoyable, even the busted original version.

I'll alsp pretend Captain Marvel is Rogue with a bad hair style and annoying voice over. Plus Jedah/Morrigan/Chun/green ladt not She hulk look fun

CapMarvel is just Rogue without the annoying accent.

Jawmuncher

peeps playing have no idea what they're doing unfortunately

I mean you said "ill wait for a sale" when the game is already 50% off (technically more) on cdkeys, so like, what kind of sale will you be waiting for? :p

That is the main factor but more for the PS4 version. Since I got in on the price error for $40.80. I would get it on PC but the trophies and easier local play with my setup are the main factors for PS4

Jawmuncher

I still remember when a Sony CS rep refunded me for a accidental darkstalkers purchase. I accidentally bought the game before it went free from Ps+ (even though it was in the PS+ section). Was amazed he did.

Guessing I had a valid enough reason since it was in the PS+ section as being free even though it wasn't and that I bought the game with Wallet funds. Had I bought it with a credit card probably would've been fucked.

Rhaknar

That is the main factor but more for the PS4 version. Since I got in on the price error for $40.80. I would get it on PC but the trophies and easier local play with my setup are the main factors for PS4

thats a lot of words to say "im dodging Rhaknar"

NotLiquid

I prefer the idea of a well executed 2v2 over 3v3 anyways.

Marvel 3 is insane under the surface but I could never really reconcile how picking what characters you're good at is only "partially" important in the face of their assists and synergy. While I don't believe a fighter needs to be balanced to be entertaining it also felt exhausting that things like Hidden Missiles and etc. crossups on entry made playing the game more about whoever gets the first hit of the game, and that made several characters really frustrating to enjoy. Playing the game feels like surgery a lot of the time for me. While I love how Marvel 3 feels to play, I've always felt it being pretty punishing by design which discourages me from enjoying it at any more than a casual level, unless I'm spectating which is great.

To me a 2v2 setup, at least in the vein of MvCI or Tatsunoko, puts a little more emphasis on just the individual character, and despite having less characters to incorporate in a team it ironically feels a little more freeform and liberating in what characters you choose, since you're not limited by a character's assists. I don't expect this game to be balanced at all with the Infinity Stones but at least they all add a uniform benefit to each character and doing extended tag combinations has more to do with you just being able to apply the basic tools of another character. The result feels like a wholly different game that still has depth and complexity on it's own merits, and especially Max's footage showcasing 4 characters on screen fighting separate battles, shows there's all kinds of crazy things to be done with this formula.

So despite the possibility that MvCI can potentially end up on the casual side (at least comparatively to Marvel 3), from a gameplay standpoint it speaks a little more to me - even though I can attest that there's still a whole lot of issues with the game itself that doesn't just boil down to gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom