• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
he has has a stand
15%2B-%2B1

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You played DMC4?

Because if you did then you wouldn't ask this question LOL!

you realise a lot (most?) of us play DMC purely with A,A,A,B combos right?

so they would seem like the same character tbh. They did to me :p

"Considered" is the more accurate description for Nero.

Someone like Doc Ock would better be described as almost making the cut since he was actually created.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You played DMC4?

Because if you did then you wouldn't ask this question LOL!

because I'm not interested in that kind of gameplay and mechanism so therefore I've not played any game in Devil May Cry franchise. That's why I asked people here for their opinions so is that necessary that you need to type that out and being snarky?

Village

because I'm not interested in that kind of gameplay and mechanism so therefore I've not played any game in Devil May Cry franchise. That's why I asked people here for their opinions so is that necessary that you need to type that out and being snarky?

Huh? You like fighting games? I always figured people who liked fighting games and character action went hand in hand, the combo poetntial and crazyness

I wonder how Credo would work in an MVC game.

I haven't checked in a few hours but I think if more variants go up the Previewsworld site will update the date from July 7th to that date

Seyavesh

nero can never be in infinite properly because his actual coolest gameplay mechanic relies on just frames which will never ever exist in a game that won't even allow DPs

Seyavesh

SFV added a 2 frame input buffer to links and it still has just frames.

idk man, i feel like there's a difference between adding a lenient input buffer and attempting to remove most non-qcf motions.
realistically if he is in it'd prob. just be like dante's million stab cancel stuff rather than actual just frames

There are dps in the game though.
*points at Ryu & Doctor Strange*

oh ffs yall know exactly what i mean

Dahbomb

Man I thought you were a Capcom game aficionado.

This is what Nero brings to the table that is different from the other DMC characters:

*He has charged shots on his Blue Rose that is similar to Zero/MMX charging Busters. LVL2 charge has a knockback but LVL3 has a powerful knockback and it sticks an explosive napalm on them that after some time causes a big explosion and they wall bounce.

It would be like shooting someone with Buster, which causes a wall bounce and then after a while it explodes and causes a ground bounce. He can do it in the air or on the ground.

*He has a Devil Bringer which works like Spencer's arm in that he can use to grapple to places or he can pull enemies in. It's a lot faster than Spencer's arm in that regard especially when it comes to pulling.

He is also the ONLY DMC character that has actual grabs and he can also use his Devil Bringer as counters/reversals. Like he can actually grip projectiles and throw them back at enemies.

tumblr_omopwoQkO91uieu1wo1_400.gif

*All of his sword normals can be charged up manually or with timing. Manual charging looks kinda like this:

wwsmL4.gif

On the top side of the HUD you can see a Nero exclusive mechanic which is his EX bar. He can store 3 stocks in there that boosts his next attack into fiery, stronger versions of them. Some attacks get triple the benefit with triple stocks like Streak and High Roller.

However no one actually manually charges in combat... that's non stylish for a DMC game. Instead we have timing based revs where if you time the button with a previous attack, you gain a stock. HOWEVER, with just frame timing you can get 3 stocks instantly! It's a very difficult and timing intensive mechanic because of it but highly rewarding of course.

Again no one in a DMC game has something like this.

*Nero's Devil Trigger is unique in that he summons a stand as a DT, which no other DMC character can do. The stand mimics Neros' actions but the attacks are different because the stand is a demon using the Yamato sword, not the Red Queen. That means you get special Devil Trigger only attacks through that "stand". His grabs are enchanced with DT too (like that Final Atomic Buster he is doing, that is because of the stand... regular version would be very basic).

Nero's DT also throws summoned swords like projectiles whenever he uses gun shots. Different charges of the gun shots throw different amount of swords.

*Nero also has some more exclusive mechanics like Table Hopper which is a timing intensive dodge mechanic that gives you far better recover/frame data on your dodges than a roll would. In the first gif I posted he is using Table Hopper, that's what it looks like when you time it right.

He can also hold enemies as a shield (the Aegis ability) with his Devil Bringer and still freely engage in combat because the DB acts autonomous to him.

He has a Shuffle move which is an evasive attack that dashes him back for an attack but it can be jump canceled out of making for some interesting plays. This is something that is far more valuable in a fighting game than in a DMC game.

Basically Nero is custom built for a fighting game like a Marvel game. He has all the tools already. I mean yea he has the DMC standards like Helm Breaker and Stinger like move (his is a lot different though) but overall he plays very different from both Dante and Vergil. The fact that they can make him into a pseudo mid range character plus grappler would be nice because this game is lacking in grapplers as it is.

nero can never be in infinite properly because his actual coolest gameplay mechanic relies on just frames which will never ever exist in a game that won't even allow DPs
VF has like an 8 frame input buffer and still has just frame moves.

Nah man nah.

Seyavesh

Just because most DPs are gone doesn't mean they've gotten rid of execution as we've already seen.

what's the 'as we've already seen' part, i haven't seen anything that suggests otherwise. from what i've seen personally, it looks like combo execution is about the same or easier but those were never really hard in the first place outside of some super optimal stuff so that's whatever.

i don't really have any doubt there's gonna be hard execution in terms of exploring character's movesets and options as to squeeze out the most optimal garbage possible but i genuinely can't see it as part of a basic character design.

hell, marvel 3 doesn't have just frames as part of any character designs outside of one extremely obscure thing that is totally irrelevant and inefficient. the closest things are crazy dance and quick work->chimichangas which are 2f

Man crazy dance was so useless in UMvC3 lol. I remember only using it in vanilla MvC3 for dhc glitch combos (crazy dance -> devil trigger -> dhc).

I never played DMC4.

Now I wanna play it.

I only beat DMC3, but I was pretty free in that game. Beowulf must've beat me like close to 50 times. I loved the game, though.

Dahbomb

Crazy Dance isn't even that good in either DMC3 or DMC4.

It's a pure style over substance move though at least in the DMC games that is still a factor because of the style gauge. In a fighting game there is no style gauge so the move is 100% useless.

Neonep

I never played DMC4.

Now I wanna play it.

I only beat DMC3, but I was pretty free in that game. Beowulf must've beat me like close to 50 times. I loved the game, though.

As far as the combat is concerned, it's literally the best in any character action game ever. Superior to any other game you can think of. That game has a bunch of fighting game mechanics in it.

Neonep

Crazy Dance isn't even that good in either DMC3 or DMC4.

It's a pure style over substance move though at least in the DMC games that is still a factor because of the style gauge. In a fighting game there is no style gauge so the move is 100% useless.

I'm blanking, what's crazy dance again? Is it when he's swinging on rebellion?

Dahbomb

I'm blanking, what's crazy dance again?
Dance Macabre crazy combo cancels into Crazy Dance.

Dance Macabre is the R1 + Back + O move with Swordmaster where Dante dashes to the opponent and then starts going ham with his sword.

If you mash O during the attack then he crazy combos into Crazy Dance where he starts spinning around his sword.

Neonep

Dance Macabre crazy combo cancels into Crazy Dance.

Dance Macabre is the R1 + Back + O move with Swordmaster where Dante dashes to the opponent and then starts going ham with his sword.

If you mash O during the attack then he crazy combos into Crazy Dance where he starts spinning around his sword.

Ok yeah, I was right just forgot the name. I never used it in 3 or 4. I normally just finished Dance Macabre.

Dahbomb

He doesn't have it in DMC4. DMC4 in general doesn't have crazy combo cancels so no stuff like getting Tornado off of Real Impact the Gawd.

Which was weird to me because the had basically replaced the mash mechanic with hold mechanic like in the case of Stinger so there was no reason not to include stuff like that.

Neonep

He doesn't have it in DMC4. DMC4 in general doesn't have crazy combo cancels so no stuff like getting Tornado off of Real Impact the Gawd.
You are right he sure doesn't have the cancels in 4.

Also a bit off topic, it's time for Vergil to get a bit of a redesign in DMC. We've been using his DMC3 template for over a decade. It's time to give him a new costume and new weapons.

Hey Ryce and Saikyo, you guys have any fresh dirt on the game right now? You tend to get info right before big dumps (your sources prob get them from press releases), so I was wondering if there's anything new in your pocket.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Man I thought you were a Capcom game aficionado.

This is what Nero brings to the table that is different from the other DMC characters:

Thank you! It was well-thought-out essay on how Nero works in the game. I'm intrigued to see how Capcom would portray him in fighting game.

I wish I could call myself a Capcom aficionado but I didn't think I'm the one. There are still some games I've played yet due to the fact some games are Japan only etc etc. I tried my best to dabbingany games as I could and try the games. If I'm not fan of the games then I would bothered to finish the game.

Huh? You like fighting games? I always figured people who liked fighting games and character action went hand in hand, the combo poetntial and crazyness

I guess I'm the expectional example! :p. I always try touch on many fighting games as I could. Also there are other genre I would like to play. DMC unfortunately don't click with me.

ElFly

He has a gun/sword/engine where he could have specific types of ex moves on his stuff

he has a demonic arm that could gram shit from long range, he has vergils sword, and he has has a stand

so actually a lot of new shit

nero has a stand?

need to really play through dmc4, but that would mean actually playing games I bought on steam, which is passe

mas8705

At least we don't have to wait much longer for some new news

The better question to ask is what kind of news will we see here this weekend? and will it result in throwing more fuel on the PR fire that the game is currently going through?

At this point with the game coming out in two months, Capcom needs to get to revealing things that will get people hyped for the game and to try and alleviate the hell the game has gotten over the course of this last month. We need to see characters that will get people excited to play as while also ensuring that they aren't all going to be locked behind a pay wall (since we still have four slots open). They also need to reveal tons more gameplay and to throw that into the hands of the pros since it isn't helping that everyone is mashing Square or X to do 8 hit combos and nothing else.

nero has a stand?

In some degree, yes.

19f

As for Nero being a grappler like character, I can see that. Considering that his Devil Bringer is basically his go to when it comes to grabbing enemies, I could see how his playstyle would revolve around that while also having a bit of focus on his use with Red Queen. Hell, if Vergil isn't in the game, give Nero Yamato and that can give him more than enough to be a feasible character in his own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom