• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite Gameplay/Pre-Launch Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Season passes are a strange beast for me. One thing is for sure, I either get them with the game or I never get them.

If I get them with the game, 2 things happen (any game, not just fighting games). As shit comes out, it gives me a reason to check back in if I havent been playing. For example, this was a big reason why I played so much fucking Marvel Heroes, I bought those advance packs, the "damage" was done, so every month I knew I had a new character to play and I would plop back in to level them up and shit.

Then there are cases like Dark Souls 2, where I got the DE, and then never played the DLCs becaue they came out so late, by then I was done with the game...

...and then I did the SAME FUCKING THING with Dark Souls 3 LOL.

If I dont get them at launch, then I end up never getting them. Like I said, by the time shit comes out, if I didnt already invest, im done with the games. Hell, I actually kinda wish I had gotten the SF5 one, I would have played the game more for sure as characters came out just to check them. But I didnt and then by the time they started coming out I was already kinda out of it, and probably didnt have cash at the time, or did but if you dont get something at release you start thinking "well, its probably going on sale soon" and then you just simply forget about it.

but 3D characters still cost the same for Guilty Gear, so yeah.

wait, what? I thought the GG DLC chars were $5?

patchday

It is absolutely a bad price. Look at how much costumes cost last gen. It's about a 4x increase.

In UMvC3 for example, a bundle of four or five costumes was $4. The value pack for 48 costumes was $20.

Development costs have surged since SFxT though. Granted I'm not planning to throw away money on costumes but the effort to model a character in a AAA title plus rig it is quite a bitch these days. Is it worth $4 though? I have no idea. But it should definitely cost more for outfits nowadays

post applies to UMvC3 as well from my point of view

Look at League of Legends costumes. And those models are way lower poly and much easier to rig. Some outfits cost like $20

Lulubop

I'll never buy a season pass or even DLC for that matter unless it's deep discounted, like deep, like 2011 steam sale deep.

That's why I love SFV fight monies.

Blaz Blue has always had high pricing. I remember even back with MVC3 people complained about Jill and Shuma pricing. BB is ignored since at the end of the day it's niche for a fighter. If Arc Sys tries that shit for DBZF you'll see a ton of complaining there.

It's definitely niche because no one here is mentioning how the characters are free for a period of time and the higher price is basically just punishing late adopters.

I don't know what the case was with BB's new character, but it's not usual.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Superior Spider-Man costume better have it's own set of colours. All DLC costumes should, it's absurd when this isn't the case (see MvC3).

Durden77

I get the idea, but at what point do you draw the line $5 a costume? $6? $10?

I'm happy to support the game with a purchase as long as the value seems reasonable, but it's hard to justify the a massive % price increase, especially if you dabble with many characters.

I would say that in this day and age, 2.99$ is reasonable for a FG costume, and anything above 4.99$ is unreasonable, with 4.99$ itself being a stretch. I can deal with 3.99$ for a game that I will love and play the shit out of, although obviously it's not optimal.

Then again I will say I'm a little biased towards FG values. Hell SFV was worth it at 60$ at launch to me. Totally understood how it wasn't to others, but I already got more value out of that game in it's rachet launch state than I did with anything else I played on PS4. Especially knowing free updates were coming, I had 0 issue.

I figure the high pricing if they decide to keep $3.99 per costume is so they can push stuff like "Get Season 2 with 6 character's and 3 costumes" to push the value side of things.
Seems at this point capcom likes to price individually DLC pretty highly so if you're like "Well I just want 2 costumes" they add up to the point where you'll go "Well i'll just buy X pack".

Also this. I'll be buying all the season passes, so if they continue to include the DLC costumes in them, that's not bad.

vg260

But costume skins are getting crazy. DLC is getting crazy. I feel like it's being used to make up the cost of sales. Which sucks, but it is what it is.

I've never been one to claim that anything a dev makes should be in the game, as they should be free to create whatever product they see fit, and customers should decide if the value is worth it. Heck, I had no issues with the UMvC3 upgrade for the price/new content ratio.

However, with games like this and SFV, and the lacking initial content and inflated DLC prices, and mystery season passes, I'm really starting to come around to the idea that devs/pubs are exploiting whatever leniency they have been given in that regard.

The Superior Spider-Man costume better have it's own set of colours. All DLC costumes should, it's absurd when this isn't the case (see MvC3).

I don't think they can do random colors with the marvel characters. It's why every color is usually a reference, so the amount they can do is limited.

For instance, you can't expect them to do an Iron Spider Man color for both the normal and the alt costume.

patchday

I'll never buy a season pass or even DLC for that matter unless it's deep discounted, like deep, like 2011 steam sale deep.

That's why I love SFV fight monies.

I cant recall ever buying a season pass. I have trouble blindly trusting devs to deliver on their promises. For all I know they will just add a bunch of guess characters. I'd need to see the exact roster so I can make a fair decision. But nah I'm not paying for season pass in any case

It's definitely niche because no one here is mentioning how the characters are free for a period of time and the higher price is basically just punishing late adopters.

I don't know what the case was with BB's new character, but it's not usual.

Yeah ArcSys, unlike avg fighting game dev, actually rewards their loyal fans with free characters while making late comers pay. Most other fighting games, its a total win to wait for discounts (besides the competitive suicide of getting bodied by mature fanbase online)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jubei came out today and its 8€ not free so... yeah.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
wait, what? I thought the GG DLC chars were $5?

Nope, Dizzy is 7.99 as I just checked.

I'm okay with Season Pass at long if it would get me some discounts on contents. For example SFV and MVCI, Characters are like 5.99 dollars each, and Premium is like 3.99 dollars. Do 10 dollars per character w/ costume = 6 characters & costumes x 10 dollars = 60 dollars

Season Pass is like 30 dollars, so basically we saved 50% on the contents.

Dahbomb

Man watching Flash find tech in this game is so entertaining. Literally making shit up on the fly and it just works.

MarlinPie said he is playing Chun and Ultron can't wait to see his stuff.

patchday

Jubei came out today and its 8€ not free so... yeah.

Yeah I definitely wouldnt give him out for free if I was ArkSys since the title is very mature at this late juncture plus it's on sale constantly. Not to mention Jubei hails from the very beginning of the series

This goes back to the original point I was making. You want to reward the loyal early adopters. At this point, the most recent BB has been out for a long time

Lulubop

Man watching Flash find tech in this game is so entertaining. Literally making shit up on the fly and it just works.

MarlinPie said he is playing Chun and Ultron can't wait to see his stuff.

Clockw0rk has been the same. Ray said he's prob dropping Ironman, U think he's waiting to see bp.

I don't think they can do random colors with the marvel characters. It's why every color is usually a reference, so the amount they can do is limited.

For instance, you can't expect them to do an Iron Spider Man color for both the normal and the alt costume.

I remember people wanting to know why you can't change main characters costumes in Dragonball Xenoverse and someone said it's because of licensing issues with making random changes to the iconic costumes.

Rhaknar

Clockw0rk has been the same. Ray said he's prob dropping Ironman, U think he's waiting to see bp.

if all 6 really do come out this year, thats a lot of characters in a short amount of time, if the early meta wasnt already meaningless lol :D

cool stuff.

So heres a noob questions. We've seen that obviously 2 rushdown characters work. A more ranged character with a meatier character (should) work.

What about 2 ranged characters? Like Hawkeye / Rocket? I wanna try Hawkeye / Rocket >_>

Jawmuncher

I remember people wanting to know why you can't change main characters costumes in Dragonball Xenoverse and someone said it's because of licensing issues with making random changes to the iconic costumes.

Yeah that's a common thing.
Back in the day that was the reasoning on no real character editing for SC4 and the Star Wars characters.

vg260

Development costs have surged since SFxT though. Granted I'm not planning to throw away money on costumes but the effort to model a character in a AAA title plus rig it is quite a bitch these days. Is it worth $4 though? I have no idea. But it should definitely cost more for outfits nowadays

post applies to UMvC3 as well from my point of view

Look at League of Legends costumes. And those models are way lower poly and much easier to rig. Some outfits cost like $20

I just can't agree with this assessment without some data to verify.

For example, is it really that much more expensive or difficult to model a skin for Spider-Man in this game than in UMvC3? The tech advances over time, but tools advance over time as well, and UE4 is supposedly used for its ease of use and good documentation.

Dahbomb

if all 6 really do come out this year, thats a lot of characters in a short amount of time, if the early meta wasnt already meaningless lol :D

cool stuff.

So heres a noob questions. We've seen that obviously 2 rushdown characters work. A more ranged character with a meatier character (should) work.

What about 2 ranged characters? Like Hawkeye / Rocket? I wanna try Hawkeye / Rocket >_>
You can do whatever you want. Rocket can rush down too so he is fine with Hawkeye.

Chris and Hawkeye on the same time is probably a bad idea. You kinda want characters with different strengths and weaknesses so they cover each other.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Full DLC characters in SFxT were less than $2 each. Everyone sh*t on SFxT.

SF5 has a system that allows you to earn stuff (including story costumes) for free. Everyone sh*t on SF5 FM.

So, now we live in a world where ArcSys can charge 8 dollars per character, there's no FM system in MvCi, and costumes are $4 with no option to unlock any of them for free.

This is the future what we fought for.

The heck are you on about?

Nobody complained about SFxT because of the character prices, they shit on it because the characters were all done and in the disc before the game launched.

People complained about SFV because of the lack of single player modes, the botched launch and the initial scarcity of FM, not because FM existed.

The only people to blame here for these bad prices are Capcom. They're the ones charging them. This ain't the future we fought for. This is the future they manufactured.

tl;dr:

3v065Kq.jpg

Rhaknar

For example, is it really that much more expensive or difficult to model a skin for Spider-Man in this game than in UMvC3? The tech advances over time, but tools advance over time as well, and UE4 is supposedly used for its ease of use and good documentation.

how do you know the umvc3 skin werent UNDERpriced? Im not saying they were btw, but like you said, we dont know, we dont have data, we are not devs. UMVC3 was a weird game in itself as it was a cheaper product because it came out so soon after 3 and they knew ppl would freak out if it was 60, how do we know the costumes werent cheaper than they would otherwise be?

Again, im putting it out there for discussion, im not saying it is one way or the other. Just, for example, everytime I see dev costs on kickstarters, Im always shocked. Like, whats that Arcana Hearts game on kickstarter? It has like a goal of 350 thousand dollars for a non-playable character o_O

Thats almost half a million dollars for a shitty (well its not shitty but its certainly not BB hi res quality) sprite that isnt even playabale, the playable version is like 20k more or something.

Videogame dev costs are stupid man. Its why I give such mad props to the Hollow Knight guys for pricing their game at $15.

edit: also lol at dat typo, fuck you all >_< gonna let it stand too!

patchday

For example, is it really that much more expensive or difficult to model a skin for Spider-Man in this game than in UMvC3? The tech advances over time, but tools advance over time as well, and UE4 is supposedly used for it's good documentation.

Fair enough. But these days studios often hire dedicated animation riggers which is a cost they didn't have to pay before. The more complex the character, the more man hours it takes to rig these models to get nice, fluid animation. I don't want to derail the topic with Game development but the expense is not trivial.

Back in the day (around UMvC3 and for sure earlier), you could have an artist do both modeling & rigging. That's pretty much unheard of these days. Even your small studios will have different artists and skill sets. Not to mention the programmers (or technical artist) you have dedicated to assist

You can verify my posts if you want by looking at Job postings. They often ask for modelers that can use ZBrush; while animators often use Maya

Additionally, since the polygon counts are insane these days it is much more time consuming to rig models. That's the very costly part in terms of man hours

Again- I do not know what the final price should be. But it should definitely cost more then it did yrs ago. And costs will continue to rise until we get better tools to assist with animating characters.

Unfortunately UE4 only helps so much but my post has already gotten too long. I will add it can be some work setting up Animation Blueprints in that engine

tl;dr - Check Job postings for Riggers and observe the skill sets differ greatly from requirements for Modelers at AAA game studios

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

He's in the game because he had a place in a story mode since they said they chose characters because they wanted them in a story plot. Also i have a hutch he and Firebrand was included because they are monsters rather than humans. That's why Niitsuma included Nemesis because he felt that the roster lack monster-ish characters in unvc3. I presume same thing.

He's in the game because he had a place in a story mode since they said they chose characters because they wanted them in a story plot. Also i have a hutch he and Firebrand was included because they are monsters rather than humans. That's why Niitsuma included Nemesis because he felt that the roster lack monster-ish characters in unvc3. I presume same thing.

That wasn't what Lulubop was saying but okay.

Ryce

I can see why Nemesis would be included. This is obviously just fiction, but it's an easy train of thought to follow from the perspective of the design team.

A.I.M. and Umbrella are similar, and we could merge them to form A.I.M.brella! But since this organization would only play a minor role in the story, we don't want the leader to be a big bad like Wesker who'd take attention away from the main threat, so let's go with M.O.D.O.K. And let's give the Mental Organism the Mind Stone! It's perfect! He'll need some underlings to control... Nemesis exists to follow orders, he was in the previous game, and he fits the A.I.M.brella motif...

Before we were inundated with videos from all these pros, I saw a Hawkeye/Ghost RIder team that had some straight dirty full screen combos, with tagging, and hypers. It was great.
I just want someone to pick him in training so I can see his shit lol. Hell I'll even take them accidentally picking him in training mode. I'm thirsty as fuck for dis game.
Go download the story demo. Thor/Spencer is the last team in the demo, and about the only time when you could get a decent fight in. I've been (tediously) playing it, just trying to get a grasp on things, but its tough. Because it sucks. The demo overall, nothing about the actual gameplay.

But Spencer was a main for me in 3, I am definitely picking him in this. I don't care what anyone has to say about him so far. What I found is he has a grenade throw, similar to Cable's grenades, or Tony's, but they don't stay in the air once they blow. He has one or two other new moves, I think, but I haven't had much luck getting them down, due to trying other things.

vg260

how do you know the umvc3 skin werent UNDERpriced? Im not saying they were btw, but like you said, we dont know, we dont have data, we are not devs. UMVC3 was a weird game in itself as it was a cheaper product because it came out so soon after 3 and they knew ppl would freak out if it was 60, how do we know the costumes werent cheaper than they would otherwise be?

Hm, so maybe UMvC3 really was UNDERpriced at $40 too?!

Fwiw, the costume pack for the original MvC3 release had 6 characters for $5, and the pricing for costumes was pretty comparable for Capcom across both SF4 and (U)MvC3, and you would have been laughed out of the room at the time if you suggested Capcom was actually undercharging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom