• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite is 22.79€ @CDKeys

dlauv

CDKeys is great. My friend opted out tho because it wanted a scan of his driver's license.

I think it's because he didn't use PayPal?

How can CDKEYS sell new games so cheap. Stolen keys? bought with stolen credit cards? Currency flip such as buying in India and selling for US dollars? I am just curious.

Scumbag company exploiting currency. You should feel bad for buying from them as the developer gets pennies from it.

Dambrosi

Banned
It's asking for my phone number to verify my purchase...Not feeling that.
They wanna text you a confirmation code, make sure you're on the up-and-up, and not just an eBay scalper after tons of foreign codes for cheap to sell them on (that's their schtick, dammit! :p). It's bad enough that indie bundles bring out the code-flippers, so this is a good thing. I suppose you could use several cheap burner phones to do it, but the cost might not be worth it in that case.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
this is cheaper than when i pre-ordered from them months ago at $34. i'm going to contact their customer support and see if they can lower my pre-order price to match the current price.

This reminds me of something that happened with me years ago on GmG. I pre-ordered a game, and then a week later they had the game even cheaper. I emailed support asking for them to adjust my existing pre-order and they straight up told me to pound sand because I was already getting a good deal. I said, "Okay then, just cancel my order." They actually asked me why I wanted to cancel it, and I said, "I found a cheaper price." Then they literally responded, "We are going to cancel your order for you, but don't you dare re-pre-order it here to get the lower price or we'll ban your account for abusing the system." I went, "Oh, okay, sure I promise." and then just re-pre-ordered it GmG. They never did anything.

Selerulf

Neo Member
They just canceled my pre-order, saying that there has been a mix up with the region information and the code will not work in my country.

Qwyjibo

I enjoyed MvC3 but no thanks, Capcom. I think I'm good this time around, even at this price. They don't deserve any trust at this point.

I think I'm good learning and playing Tekken 7 and Injustice 2.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Scumbag company exploiting currency. You should feel bad for buying from them as the developer gets pennies from it.

Fucking spare me. The second someone posts a cheap price of a console game on a foreign marketplace, GAF members are tripping over themselves, creating fake residences so they can buy a copy.

Sonic Mania is the most recent example where people were jumping through hoops to save $10.

Fucking spare me. The second someone posts a cheap price of a console game on a foreign marketplace, GAF members are tripping over themselves, creating fake residences so they can buy a copy.

Sonic Mania is the most recent example where people were jumping through hoops to save $10.
Preach man. That's bothered me recently too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
To clarify the region-lock situation, it's just an activation-level restriction. A VPN may be necessary to activate the key but nothing more. Those who've received credit could use it to buy the game again at a cheaper price if they're so inclined.

Edit: Also, judging from SteamDB, the pre-order costumes are digital-only.

To clarify the region-lock situation, it's just an activation-level restriction. A VPN may be necessary to activate the key but nothing more. Those who've received credit could use it to buy the game again at a cheaper price if they're so inclined.

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, and despite using Steam a ton, I'm not really familiar with the ins-and-outs of what's acceptable by their rules, but I read that using a VPN for things such as activation can lead to a ban. Is that misinformation or does it simply depend on the level of restriction behind the activation? Thanks!

TP

The next best deal is probably Gamesplanet

Price comes out to around $40, is worldwide, includes preorder costumes, and they send you the key pretty quickly so you can start preloading.

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, and despite using Steam a ton, I'm not really familiar with the ins-and-outs of what's acceptable by their rules, but I read that using a VPN for things such as activation can lead to a ban. Is that misinformation or does it simply depend on the level of restriction behind the activation? Thanks!

Valve says they might terminate your account over it:

You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, Valve may terminate your access to your Account.

Jawmuncher

Does it actually happen though?

They've never done it once.
Ask JaseC. He's a collector and has had to do it many times by now to own games not purchasable in his region. He has a steam account worth more than everyone in this thread combined.

nded

I think the worst I've ever heard of Valve doing was removing a game from your account.

Obviously the fact that Valve has never shut down an account over this doesn't mean they never will. Caveat emptor and all that.

lupinko

I'll see what the remaining DLC is.

Will eventually pick up if Phoenix Wright ever makes it back in (he won't).

I recall Capcom and Marvel wanting to turn Marvel Infinite into esports like SFV, so the initial season character pass won't be the final one.

Neizel

The problem is, like all other games out there that have region activation restrictions, that you probably won't be able to play the game or even worse it won't let you launch it if the activated key doesn't match your current region (depends on the publisher), and even if you could bypass that, it would be horrendous for playing online because you will be attached to that region. There are reports that games eventually will unlock and turn into a RoW copy of the game, but waiting months for that is not the ideal scenario.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

While using a VPN at all is technically against the SSA, Valve turns a blind eye provided you're not using one to engage in cross-region purchasing on the Steam Store itself. Many GAFers, myself included, can attest to having used a VPN numerous times over many years to activate a key or unlock a game early without consequence. Also, I should note that Valve stopped banning/suspending/terminating accounts roughly five-and-a-half years ago in favour of a restriction-based system that only denies access to certain features (e.g. all means by which you can add a game to your account). The days of being able to lose your account to administrative disablement are long gone.

The problem is, like all other games out there that have region activation restrictions, that you probably won't be able to play the game or even worse it won't let you launch it if the activated key doesn't match your current region (depends on the publisher), and even if you could bypass that, it would be horrendous for playing online because you will be attached to that region. There are reports that games eventually will unlock and turn into a RoW copy of the game, but waiting months for that is not the ideal scenario.

As I said, the restriction is only at the activation level. Neither flag that imposes a runtime-level restriction -- onlyallowrunincountries or the inverse prohibitrunincountries -- is attached to the package. Runtime restrictions do indeed expire three months following activation (well, 90 days, to be pedantic), but, again, that's not applicable here.

Region-specific licences can be used to impose a region lock within multiplayer; however, this approach is exceedingly rare and not something Capcom has opted for thus far. The closest parallel would be SF4's download region-based matchmaking system, but even it was improved by way of adding in an option to search for all available opponents. In short, there's no cause for concern in this case, especially as there are no region-specific packages in use on the Steam Store.

Top Bottom