• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite sells 1/10th of MvC3's debut in Japan, 1/6th Pokken DX

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
tumblr_orkirxRFP11qc9dlro1_500.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Koy021veA

BadWolf

Looking at the rosters its completely obvious the character selections were made as a way to promote the upcoming Avengers film next year. Especially with the entire stones concept considering the next Avengers will revolve around that.

I am not absolving Capcom from the poor character design or bland presentation. But in terms of character selection this just comes off as Disney trying to keep the Avengers characters in the spotlight until the new film next year.

Can't blame Disney for Capcom's side of the roster though.

TreIII

...and what will it take to get you to buy it?

Even after the leaked roster seemed definite, I was still on board, providing that the likes of Panther and Monster Hunter were on the base roster.

...and then they were both confirmed to be a part of the season pass, with Sigma.

I couldn't see myself buying the game as it is now, with only one character that I was interested in playing, per the horrible demo (re: X). And definitely couldn't see paying $90+ for the "hope" that the season pass characters will be more to my liking.

The combat is fun, but it's just not enough, simply put. Maybe I'll change my mind by the time all the Season Pass content is out and the game is cheaper, but it's not like there won't be other games for me to play.

Dragonball FighterZ being one of them...

patchday

I really enjoy MvCI and recommend it but when DBZF drops I'm definitely giving it a shot. I love the series (well ASW games along with old PS2-era games) and it has all the Z fighters I want in the base roster

MvCI base roster has so many puzzling choices on Capcom side. But since I havent played since MvC2 I admit I am interested in probably at least 85% of the base roster which says something

Yeah hiding Black Panther behind DLC was a tough pill to swallow. I still got Deluxe because I'm a superhero/anime nutcase but I can see others with stronger willpower easily passing up this gem covered in crust

Now was the perfect opportunity to make MvC4 with the MCU and all its characters at the peak of their popularity right now and they fucked it up.

Man, I wonder how true that rumor of Marvel telling Capcom to make their side of the roster look like crap (and be lower tier as some people have observed in gameplay) was.

Dre3001

Can't blame Disney for Capcom's side of the roster though.

That I agree with 100%.

Capcom could have done a lot better on their side. But when I see complaints of no Xmen or other Marvel properties, I think Disney really stepped in and wanted to promote certain characters over others.

VariantX

Man, I wonder how true that rumor of Marvel telling Capcom to make their side of the roster look like crap (and be lower tier as some people have observed in gameplay) was.

I doubt that rumor even holds water and I'm pretty sure Marvel only gives a shit about their half of the roster and who can and cant be there. I'd doubt they even have a say on who can and cant appear on the Capcom side anyway. Capcom's side roster choices are on Capcom alone.

Jawmuncher

I doubt that rumor even holds water and I'm pretty sure Marvel only gives a shit about their half of the roster and who can and cant be there. I'd doubt they even have a say on who can and cant appear on the Capcom side anyway. Capcom's side roster choices are on Capcom alone.

I think they can to capcom to an extent.
For example Jedah not having actual blood this time around or Demittri coming back with actual midnight bliss.

At this point, Capcom are just throwing darts in the dark in what to do next.

SFV is still plagued with issues since release and they expect things will be better once they release a new game.

Combofiend use to love to talk about SFV but the negative criticism happened and we rarely see him.

Forward

At this point, Capcom are just throwing darts in the dark in what to do next.

SFV is still plagued with issues since release and they expect things will be better once they release a new game.

Combofiend use to love to talk about SFV but the negative criticism happened and we rarely see him.

Combofiend malfunctioned.

Blackage

Switching from 3 vs 3 to 2 vs 2 didn't help either even if you think the gameplay is fantastic perception matters.

Spman2099

Eh. Namco also made some big mistakes with the latest entries of its main fighting game series

Yeah, they basically drove the Soul Edge series into the ground game after game. Their first two were good, and every entry after Calibur just got worse and worse. God, some of the characters got stupid too...

Combofiend stays away from talking about MVC as well after his function talk

Maybe that is for the best...

Jinroh

I don't understand why they changed the controls. They just had to refine what they already had in MvC3. This game is a combination of bad decisions.

I am almost sure Disney/Marvel had no saying on what character Capcom can put or can't put for capcom side of the Roster. Therefore the Roster we got is just lazy rehash or budget constraints. This is a low budget title and it shows.

Spman2099

I am almost sure Disney/Marvel had no saying on what character Capcom can put or can't put for capcom side of the Roster. Therefore the Roster we got is just lazy rehash or budget constraints. This is a low budget title and it shows.

No say other than telling them X-Men weren't allowed to make the cut, right?

TreIII

Eh. Namco also made some big mistakes with the latest entries of its main fighting game series

As much as I do have beef with Bamco for what they did to Soul Calibur, I do have to give it up for them trying their hand at another collab with Nintendo and TPC (Pokken), and especially what they're doing with Arc and DBFZ.

After Super DBZ tanked a long time ago, and Xenoverse seemed to be the path we could expect for DB console games, I would never have expected anyone to try their hand with a competitive vs. arcade style Dragonball fighter ever again.

Ryce

I don't understand why they changed the controls. They just had to refine what they already had in MvC3. This game is a combination of bad decisions.
This remains my biggest pet peeve with the gameplay. It's like Capcom changed the controls for the sake of it just so people wouldn't have something else to throw into the ”recycled from MvC3" complaint pile.

LMH: light attacks, medium attacks, and hard/heavy attacks. For special moves with directional variants, L corresponds to low, M to mid, and H to high. It's perfect — poetry, even. The S button is used for launchers, flight, and other special functions like stances. You know exactly what you're getting when you push a button in MvC3.

LP/HP/LK/HK is a clusterfuck of epic proportions. Most of the LKs really just feel like MKs. Unlike Street Fighter, an overwhelming majority of the moves in this game involve energy blasts and weapons, rendering the ”punch" and ”kick" designations utterly arbitrary, adding to the confusion. And the P and K designations aren't even consistent within a single character's move set! Ryu's Shoryuken is performed with DP + P, so surely his Shin Shoryuken is performed with DP + PP, right? No, the Shin Shoryuken is performed with QCF + KK. What a mess.

As a casual (bad) fighting game player, I was able to memorize a single MvC3 character's move set after one or two fights. I've been playing MvCI for two weeks and I still can't remember whether certain special moves or hyper combos are mapped to P or K or if they use down down inputs. I still don't know which teleport location is mapped to which button. I can't even begin to imagine how alienated actual beginners must feel. The controls just aren't intuitive at all. As a pad player, it feels like I'm operating a plane just doing basic Firebrand movements that I had no problem with in MvC3.

Trace

Banned
This remains my biggest pet peeve with the gameplay. It’s like Capcom changed the controls for the sake of it just so people wouldn’t have something else to throw into the “recycled from MvC3” complaint pile.

LMH: light attacks, medium attacks, and hard/heavy attacks. For special moves with directional variants, L corresponds to low, M to mid, and H to high. It’s perfect — poetry, even. The S button is used for launchers, flight, and other special functions like stances. You know exactly what you’re getting when you push a button in MvC3.

LP/HP/LK/HK is a clusterfuck of epic proportions. Most of the LKs really just feel like MKs. Unlike Street Fighter, an overwhelming majority of the moves in this game involve energy blasts and weapons, rendering the “punch” and “kick” designations utterly arbitrary, adding to the confusion. And the P and K designations aren’t even consistent within a single character’s move set! Ryu’s Shoryuken is performed with DP + P, so surely his Shin Shoryuken is performed with DP + PP, right? No, the Shin Shoryuken is performed with QCF + KK. What a mess.

As a casual (bad) fighting game player, I was able to memorize a single MvC3 character’s move set after one or two fights. I’ve been playing MvCI for two weeks and I still can’t remember whether certain special moves or hyper combos are mapped to P or K or if they use down down inputs. I still don’t know which teleport location is mapped to which button. I can’t even begin to imagine how alienated actual beginners must feel. The controls just aren’t intuitive at all.

While I think most of the gameplay complaints are overblown, this is definitely true. Dormammu doesn't even have kicks, so why is there still a kick notation for him? God knows that you're going to get out of most of those moves. Agreed on the teleports as well, it seems almost arbitrary where you're going to end up.

I'm pretty sure Disney/Marvel would require some kind of say in who their characters are presented with.

Not saying they picked Capcoms roster, but for sure had to yes/no those Capcom presented.

Capcom's roster is such shit. Marvel's side looks just fine without the Xmen, but there are so many unpopular b listers on the Capcom roster. I wouldn't play with half of them.
On the other hand I think Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Gamora are pretty cool new additions that I'd really like to try.
Such a small roster too. At the end of the day there just aren't enough characters I care to play with. It's a shame.

Also - the game looks like ass, which is something I wouldn't say about UMvC3 or SF5.

Hopefully it's less than $20 by Black Friday.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
While I'm glad this CRAP game didn't sell...I wonder what these means for the future of verses?
MVC1 and TVC are the only great games in the series...IMO

jett

D-Member
This remains my biggest pet peeve with the gameplay. It's like Capcom changed the controls for the sake of it just so people wouldn't have something else to throw into the ”recycled from MvC3" complaint pile.

LMH: light attacks, medium attacks, and hard/heavy attacks. For special moves with directional variants, L corresponds to low, M to mid, and H to high. It's perfect — poetry, even. The S button is used for launchers, flight, and other special functions like stances. You know exactly what you're getting when you push a button in MvC3.

LP/HP/LK/HK is a clusterfuck of epic proportions. Most of the LKs really just feel like MKs. Unlike Street Fighter, an overwhelming majority of the moves in this game involve energy blasts and weapons, rendering the ”punch" and ”kick" designations utterly arbitrary, adding to the confusion. And the P and K designations aren't even consistent within a single character's move set! Ryu's Shoryuken is performed with DP + P, so surely his Shin Shoryuken is performed with DP + PP, right? No, the Shin Shoryuken is performed with QCF + KK. What a mess.

As a casual (bad) fighting game player, I was able to memorize a single MvC3 character's move set after one or two fights. I've been playing MvCI for two weeks and I still can't remember whether certain special moves or hyper combos are mapped to P or K or if they use down down inputs. I still don't know which teleport location is mapped to which button. I can't even begin to imagine how alienated actual beginners must feel. The controls just aren't intuitive at all. As a pad player, it feels like I'm operating a plane just doing basic Firebrand movements that I had no problem with in MvC3.

Yeah you know the movelists in this game seem kind of random with how they work.

patchday

While I'm glad this CRAP game didn't sell...I wonder what these means for the future of verses?
MVC1 and TVC are the only great games in the series...IMO

But it did sell. It's top 5 in Japan. I think people are exaggerating things quite a bit (and/or misinformed). It's merely beaten by Pokken

It's a good game with a plain outer shell. Definitely not a 'crap game'

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well pretty every fighting game out there has inferior roster to MvC2 pretty much (in regards to pure numbers & probably brand recognition). Unfortunately as tech advanced, games have actually devolved, gotten more expensive, and come with less features (not across the board, but in some cases)

MvC2 was a masterpiece with over 50 characters and you could play it at your local Arcade the way God intended

210.jpg

Come at me bro, nothing can touch this

I loved MVC2 but the only thing new about it was the UI, 3D backrounds and only some sprites. Otherwise they were all reused elements of previous games just like CVSnK and CVSnK 2

Games these days could not really get away with that.

JayEH

But it did sell. It's top 5 in Japan. I think people are exaggerating things quite a bit (and/or misinformed). It's merely beaten by Pokken

It's a good game with a plain outer shell. Definitely not a 'crap game'

It debuted at #8 with 8k sales that's not good.

Compared to pokken at #1 with 53k

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Any mistakes they have made with Tekken 7 is vastly overshadowed with what it does well IMO. Although i think their handling of soul calibur is more suspect.

Soul Blade and Soul Calibur 1 were the apex of the series.

Soul Calibur 2 was merely a refined copy of 1.

Soul Calibur 3 changed some stuff up and had some bugs but was generally fine.

Soul Calibur 4 significantly turned on the nonsense boobage fanservice and slowed the game down while introducing silly guest characters while taking out mission mode.

SC5 was a trainwreck where they destroyed the entire setting, introduced a whole bunch of garbage versions of better previous characters, and ironically enough was only released half finished to begin with...it was a joke.

patchday

I loved MVC2 but the only thing new about it was the UI, 3D backrounds and only some sprites. Otherwise they were all reused elements of previous games just like CVSnK and CVSnK 2

Games these days could not really get away with that.

I think fighting games should try to keep old cast and keep building upon the foundation. But I realize not everyone feels that way. For example, those other games you mention I never played. I just played the heck out of MvC1 & 2 so too me this was such a great game and the future for fighting games looked so bright. I neevr would predict fighting games rosters would actually get smaller and charge extra on top of that for dudes.

I'd rather reuse content straight up.

This applies to Injustice 2 as well. I would love to have Lobo, Martian Manhunter, Deathstroke, and some others return straight up. Don't change nothing. Just add more polygons and bloat out these rosters more. Take some shortcuts sure and maybe refine them later (ala League of Legends where they reboot their old characters later which works fine for long running games)

It debuted at #8 with 8k sales that's not good.

Compared to pokken at #1 with 53k

I admit to not knowing actual numbers I must concede to defeat on that point. I'd still say MvCI is not a crap game. Just a great game surrounded by some crap? Does that make a game crappy? Crap I dont know anymore.

Clawww

This remains my biggest pet peeve with the gameplay. It’s like Capcom changed the controls for the sake of it just so people wouldn’t have something else to throw into the “recycled from MvC3” complaint pile.

LMH: light attacks, medium attacks, and hard/heavy attacks. For special moves with directional variants, L corresponds to low, M to mid, and H to high. It’s perfect — poetry, even. The S button is used for launchers, flight, and other special functions like stances. You know exactly what you’re getting when you push a button in MvC3.

LP/HP/LK/HK is a clusterfuck of epic proportions. Most of the LKs really just feel like MKs. Unlike Street Fighter, an overwhelming majority of the moves in this game involve energy blasts and weapons, rendering the “punch” and “kick” designations utterly arbitrary, adding to the confusion. And the P and K designations aren’t even consistent within a single character’s move set! Ryu’s Shoryuken is performed with DP + P, so surely his Shin Shoryuken is performed with DP + PP, right? No, the Shin Shoryuken is performed with QCF + KK. What a mess.

As a casual (bad) fighting game player, I was able to memorize a single MvC3 character’s move set after one or two fights. I’ve been playing MvCI for two weeks and I still can’t remember whether certain special moves or hyper combos are mapped to P or K or if they use down down inputs. I still don’t know which teleport location is mapped to which button. I can’t even begin to imagine how alienated actual beginners must feel. The controls just aren’t intuitive at all. As a pad player, it feels like I’m operating a plane just doing basic Firebrand movements that I had no problem with in MvC3.
Good post. There's so much wrong with ditching LMHS it's not even funny. You didn't mention extra command normals... A move like Wesker's crouching M would have to be df+HP in this game.

patchday

Some things puzzle me like the L3 hypers. I wish it was the same motion for every character to do their L3. But sometimes its qcf and other times its qcb. Also wish I could map a button for 'Flight'. That would be amazing.

As a casual (bad) fighting game player, I was able to memorize a single MvC3 character’s move set after one or two fights. I’ve been playing MvCI for two weeks and I still can’t remember whether certain special moves or hyper combos are mapped to P or K or if they use down down inputs. I still don’t know which teleport location is mapped to which button. I can’t even begin to imagine how alienated actual beginners must feel. The controls just aren’t intuitive at all. As a pad player, it feels like I’m operating a plane just doing basic Firebrand movements that I had no problem with in MvC3.

I couldn't put it into words but these are exactly my thoughts. I was wrestling with the controls for hours with every mode and character I tried. MVC3 had the controls down perfectly - they flow and fit like poetry as you said.

MVCI's controls are like playing musical chairs blindfolded with someone pushing you all the time. I literally cannot get used to them and they are so unintuitive. I may be a casual player that uses a pad but the controls need to be solid in order for me to get longevity out of the game.

I’ll still play this game and try to figure out the controls for a while but if I can’t, I’m just going to leave the newbie controls on (easy hyper combo, auto combo, and auto super jump).

JeTmAn81

I couldn't put it into words but these are exactly my thoughts. I was wrestling with the controls for hours with every mode and character I tried. MVC3 had the controls down perfectly - they flow and fit like poetry as you said.

MVCI's controls are like playing musical chairs blindfolded with someone pushing you all the time. I literally cannot get used to them and they are so unintuitive. I may be a casual player that uses a pad but the controls need to be solid in order for me to get longevity out of the game.

I’ll still play this game and try to figure out the controls for a while but if I can’t, I’m just going to leave the newbie controls on (easy hyper combo, auto combo, and auto super jump).

After about a week it felt fairly natural to me and I am Marvel 3 vet.

Ok? That's the message capcom is going to take here. Especially after SFV. You think they're going to try another vs game or SF for another decade?

Good frankly. Capcom sucks at fighting games now. They released not even a half done SF5. MvCi has the worst roster of the entire series with what might be the the worst collectors edition of all time.

I bought this game thinking it might have some redeeming qualities but in the end the fact that they expected 2 million in sales shows how insane Capcom has become. Whatever magic they had with fighting games is gone.

Top Bottom