• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite sells 1/10th of MvC3's debut in Japan, 1/6th Pokken DX

When was the last time you played the MKvDC? The only reason half the fights happen is because of a random rage effect that makes everyone go "ME SMASH!".

Then again arguing that a fighting game doesn't have subpar writing is something that's wild to me. The genre's stories are nothing but nonsense reasons for 1v1 fights. It doesn't get more subpar than that.

If anything, I don't think fighting games provide a decent framework for anything resembling good writing unless you go the Arcsys route and drop the requirement to have fights in your stories altogether.

But back to the topic at hand. Pretty much what Dahbomb posted earlier was on point. But also: some folks I know (fg fans) weren't even aware the game is out already. I know this is largely anecdotal but you'd think a game release such as this would be a big event despite the gripes.

NRS somehow makes stories that pull in people who are only attracted to AAA mainstream games.

It's not a flop because when you look at how the online gameplay community is, it's basically bigger than any other fighting game out there. I love Injustice 2, but one year from now that game online community will be mostly dead, just like it happened with Injustice 1. Capcom is always about the long game. And I understand you prefering western made games with big story modes if that's your thing, but since I grew up with basically like a competitive scene wannabe, oriental fighting games has always been my thing. SFV online scene is easily the strongest right now when it comes to fighting games. Yes, it has become a niche market, but that's okay in my book. I don't mind the several DLCs and season passes because I'm used to pay several times for these games, it was like that back in the Snes era, we just had to buy different cartridges instead.
The game having an active community does not instantly make it a financial success.

Forward

The game flopped so bad, that if its purblind fanboys had any humility or self-awareness at all, they'd go and form a cover band to better facilitate counting all the crow that they should be eating. They could make Cacpcom levels of bank with a personalized rendition of what will ultimately be their legacy, with "A Murder of I" clinging to the top of the sharts Bomba charts.

But clearly it is the fault of everyone who did not buy the half-assed game, that the game failed, not the half-assed game's constituency for having expanded their maximum threshold for bad.

Because it conveniently ignores other pieces of info. Just because we don't have NPD numbers doesn't mean we have zero information on US sales.

We know the game is doing badly on Amazon US. We know the game is doing horribly on Steam. Consoles sales are not gonna do some hat trick and save this game from bombing hardcore.
Also performed worse in Australia

But maybe Americans will go nuts over it. Dunno

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It's not a flop because when you look at how the online gameplay community is, it's basically bigger than any other fighting game out there. I love Injustice 2, but one year from now that game online community will be mostly dead, just like it happened with Injustice 1. Capcom is always about the long game. And I understand you prefering western made games with big story modes if that's your thing, but since I grew up with basically like a competitive scene wannabe, oriental fighting games has always been my thing. SFV online scene is easily the strongest right now when it comes to fighting games. Yes, it has become a niche market, but that's okay in my book. I don't mind the several DLCs and season passes because I'm used to pay several times for these games, it was like that back in the Snes era, we just had to buy different cartridges instead.

SFV is a flop because Capcom wanted it to sell 2 million at launch and it still hasn't sold that much.

Thats the very definition of a flop.

Hello, this is a sales thread. When we say a game bombed or is a flop, we are saying it sold poorly. Nothing else is of importance.

Sfv was expected to sell 2m units in its first month by its Publisher. After 2 years, it still won't reach that figure.

That is a flop, come on. I love the game. Put in over 700 hours. I freely admit this game flopped hard.

Isn't saying much besides "wait for NA sales, guys!" as a lifeline of hope.

Which makes little sense as the US and UK are extremely similar markets at least in regards to Xbox / Playstation game trends (NA likes Nintendo though for example much more than the UK)

But still for a game to bomb on Xbox / Playstation to the degree it has in the UK and do well in the US is a very rare occurrence

Skronk

Banned
A bare bones game getting the response it deserves.

Everyone knows DBZ is the new Mahvel anyway. Can't wait till it's headlining EVO.

warp_

Banned
In what world is Street Fighter V not regarded as a flop in terms of sales?

This is where people like him typically resort to
1. Twitch numbers
2. People playing it online
3. Tournament entries

even though they have been proven with SFV to not actually affect sales, considering it has yet to hit it's original sales goal.

Edit: Oh hey I was right! Plus we also got this weird line:
And I understand you prefering western made games with big story modes if that's your thing, but since I grew up with basically like a competitive scene wannabe, oriental fighting games has always been my thing.

iJack

Banned
Considering Dragonball Xenoverse sold more than every single modern Capcom fighting game bar vanilla SF4, I'm noy sure they are bigger.

Where's the online community for these games, then? Why it's so damn hard to find a single match on any of the Arc Systems games? Why it was so hard to find matches for Injustice in 2015, let alone 2016? Capcom fighting games have more active fanbases. That's just how it has always been.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Do any one have the numbers of how much money does Capcom get from SF's competitive scene? How much are their ESPN transmission worth? Because I know that, from reading the story of the sport league, MLS had to pay ESPN to get their get transmitted when they were getting started.

Where's the online community for these games, then? Why it's so damn hard to find a single match on any of the Arc Systems games? Why it was so hard to find matches for Injustice in 2015, let alone 2016? Capcom fighting games have more active fanbases. That's just how it has always been.
You're talking about sales and "brand power" but you keep bringing up games being still played or not.

No one cares about how active the fanbase is when it comes to sales. I can get SF3 matches in GGPO to this day, doesn't mean that game didn't almost kill the franchise.

MvCI is a lot of fun. I love Marvel and the VS series is my favourite series in gaming.

<---I'm down enough with it to have made that team work.

This shit is bombing hella hard and 500k, which is fairly optimistic for the end of year, would be bad. They want to move 2mil by March, and video game sales are front-loaded.

From a gameplay perspective, it's not a flop. From a "hey let's play online" perspective, it's not really one either. From a sales perspective - which is what this thread is about - it is mayor of Flop City.

WestEgg

Netherrealm and WB don't care how many twitch views, tournaments, or ESPN coverage their game gets if at the end of the day they've sold 10x more than the competition.

Tell that to KOF14. Graphics matter to everyone, FGC or not.

I do like posting an Eventhubs article in here as if that site means anything. Comparing an Olive Garden in Italy to MVCI sales in Japan is a whole new level of bad comparison. Not to mention it isn't spellchecked like most EH articles. What a mess of a site.
SNK has to work more compare to your average Capcom fighter. You can also be as beautiful as Skullgirls but not gain a wider audience.

Mit-

I would like to randomly point out as I usually do in these threads that there does not exist over 2 million people interested in Street Fighter, and the only reason SFIV as a series sold 5+ million copies is because the same less-than-2-million players kept buying the new releases of the game. SF4 debuted well due to the revival hype appealing to more casual players, but after that died down its scene was likely similar in size to the current SFV scene.

Marvel's scene is even smaller and it failed to inspire casuals to buy it due to poor/nonexistent marketing, so we're pretty much just looking at the sales reflecting the active competitive scene of the game (which I think still has some growing to do from holdouts who don't wanna pay dat 60, and those who were on the fence about its competitive viability).

The userbase playing online doesn't really tell us anything since sfv is crossplay, and marvel isn't. Good luck finding matches on Xbox/pc in future as things start to thin out due to matchmaking.

Fraeon

NRS somehow makes stories that pull in people who are only attracted to AAA mainstream games.

IIRC MKvDC sold SF5 levels and its production values certainly weren't there. It wasn't until MK9 when they tweaked the formula and started having big mainstream interest again.

The userbase playing online doesn't really tell us anything since sfv is crossplay, and marvel isn't. Good luck finding matches on Xbox/pc in future as things start to thin out due to matchmaking.
Steam version is already approaching Lawbreaker numbers

But the Capcom and Marvel brands tho

Degen

How's the article "something else?" The author is right. He even condenses the entire article to one line: "My takeaway is this: wait and see before passing any major judgement." I mean, that's a reasonable approach to take. He's not being controversial or inflammatory about anything.
That one line doesn't make the whole article non-terrible

Unrelated comparison followed by unrelated comparison followed by proof that the game is doing poorly followed by "I'm not saying that the 8k number might be false; I'm saying that the 8k number might be false" followed by "you guys just hate Capcom" followed by unrelated comparison

but hey that one point was pretty good

I think the issue is that you're conflating two different things here. This is a thread about sales. Just sales. Not "how many casual fans continue to play after finishing story mode once?" Not "what's the esports scene like among pros?" Just pure, simple sales. You're bringing up factors that theoretically could impact sales in the long term. Someone could go buy Street Fighter V right now assured that there's still an active community around the game. That may help some titles have a long tail.

But there really aren't any tangible signs that this is paying dividends with Street Fighter V. Almost all quarterly sales updates indicate that sales have fallen off a cliff after an already disappointing launch.

Blueblur1

What's the total count of heads on that leaderboard? That might be one way to tell how many players there are on each platform.

JayEH

Darksydephil is in top 100 ranked globally on PS4.

This game really didn't sell well....

Jesus Christ.

That guy seemed to be fired by Capcom btw. His Twitter account makes no mention of working at Capcom anymore. Before he had wording that was senior director of esports at Capcom and looking to hire more people.

Check out John D (@diamonon): https://twitter.com/diamonon?s=09

Shouldn't look into this too much even if it is odd. Could be that he decided to leave as well. Who knows.

That guy seemed to be fired by Capcom btw. His Twitter account makes no mention of working at Capcom anymore. Before he had wording that was senior director of esports at Capcom and looking to hire more people.

That doesn't necessarily have to mean he was fired or that he's not currently still in that position. He could have gotten transferred or is on sabbatical or it just doesn't mean anything.

Let's wait for some more concrete info before coming to that conclusion.
Does Combofiend still have a job after this?
Because Combofiend was in charge of the art style, modeling, marketing, advertising and sound. Combofiend couldn't have fought for a better roster because you're fighting "Don't wanna spend money" Capcpom on one hand and "Fuck X-Men and Inhumans and anything we don't like" Marvel on the other.

In terms of gameplay, naturally most people are saying that they've nailed it.

iJack

Banned
I would like to randomly point out as I usually do in these threads that there does not exist over 2 million people interested in Street Fighter, and the only reason SFIV as a series sold 5+ million copies is because the same less-than-2-million players kept buying the new releases of the game. SF4 debuted well due to the revival hype appealing to more casual players, but after that died down its scene was likely similar in size to the current SFV scene.

Marvel's scene is even smaller and it failed to inspire casuals to buy it due to poor/nonexistent marketing, so we're pretty much just looking at the sales reflecting the active competitive scene of the game (which I think still has some growing to do from holdouts who don't wanna pay dat 60, and those who were on the fence about its competitive viability).

I agree with this. Also, I do think that crossplay could be added to MvCI in the future. People kept talking about how Spider-Man wouldn't show up since it wasn't an exclusive for PS4 game, and he is there. The future of MvCI is basically what is happening with SFV. We will keep getting DLC characters and people buying them. Is it a model that I love? Do I love to waste money in a game again and again? No. But it's clear that it's working for Capcom.

sephi22

Jesus Christ.

https://twitter.com/TheyCallMeDSP/status/913193967843295232

DKxREofUMAAqC2-.jpg
Rank 9 too (Which doesn't seem that amazing all things considered)

iJack

Banned
I think the issue is that you're conflating two different things here. This is a thread about sales. Just sales. Not "how many casual fans continue to play after finishing story mode once?" Not "what's the esports scene like among pros?" Just pure, simple sales. You're bringing up factors that theoretically could impact sales in the long term. Someone could go buy Street Fighter V right now assured that there's still an active community around the game. That may help some titles have a long tail.

But there really aren't any tangible signs that this is paying dividends with Street Fighter V. Almost all quarterly sales updates indicate that sales have fallen off a cliff after an already disappointing launch.

Fair point. And yet, they keep making more Seasons for that game. And I've bought all of them. For both PS4 and Steam.

sephi22

Fair point. And yet, they keep making more Seasons for that game. And I've bought all of them. For both PS4 and Steam.
That doesn't mean anything though? DOA5 has like 700+ costumes and keeps adding characters. It's coz they have a small active fanbase who is liberal with opening it's wallet for DLC, like you have admitted yourself

Eh, that doesn't mean anything. He was still retweeting MvCI related tweets a couple days ago. He hasn't deleted old Capcom-related tweets or retweets. If anything his title is changing again soon and he felt like replacing his Twitter profile description with 'Esports!' for the hell of it.
At least it's not 'resurrector of MvC' anymore. That shit triggered the hell out of me.

Blueblur1

Eh, that doesn't mean anything. He was still retweeting MvCI related tweets a couple days ago. He hasn't deleted old Capcom-related tweets or retweets. If anything his title is changing again soon and he felt like replacing his Twitter profile description with 'Esports!' for the hell of it.

That one line doesn't make the whole article non-terrible

Unrelated comparison followed by unrelated comparison followed by proof that the game is doing poorly followed by "I'm not saying that the 8k number might be false; I'm saying that the 8k number might be false" followed by "you guys just hate Capcom" followed by unrelated comparison

but hey that one point was pretty good

Did we read the same article?

His starting comparison of Marvel to "Olive Garden in Italy" is weak, but not unrelated, so I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.

Proof that the game is doing poorly in the UK and Japan, which adds to the argument he's trying to make (those markets are not the ultimate determinants of Marvel's success, given that they have historically done weak compared to the US).

Unlike you, I'm not gonna end my post with any silly snark attempt.

MechaX

He... was talking about Dragon Ball.

The allure of DBZ Fighters isn't that it's a new Arc Sys game, but because it's a goddamn DBZ game.

And you bring up Injustice for some reason despite how NRS fans tend to jump from one NRS game to the next (i.e., MK9 to IJ to MKX to IJ2).

Your responses throughout this discussion are just all over and the map.

Tripon

Jesus Christ.

Shouldn't look into this too much even if it is odd. Could be that he decided to leave as well. Who knows.

That doesn't necessarily have to mean he was fired or that he's not currently still in that position. He could have gotten transferred or is on sabbatical or it just doesn't mean anything.

Let's wait for some more concrete info before coming to that conclusion.
Because Combofiend was in charge of the art style, modeling, marketing, advertising and sound. Combofiend couldn't have fought for a better roster because you're fighting "Don't wanna spend money" Capcpom on one hand and "Fuck X-Men and Inhumans and anything we don't like" Marvel on the other.

In terms of gameplay, naturally most people are saying that they've nailed it.
Also been removed from Capcom unity website

sephi22

He's actually good at fighting games.
Define 'good'. He's good compared to your average 9-to-5 working with 2 kids at home, 'can't do a bnb' gaffer. He would get mopped by FGC-GAF like Q, FSlink, Luce, Karst, etc. Heck I have 3x DSP's SFV ranked points and I'm a pot monster.

Maximillian can body him 1 handed. LowTierGod can body him 5-0. DSP is a joke

Also been removed from Capcom unity website

OK That's something. I really disliked him but I'd be lying if I said I don't feel bad for him if this is true.
After all this, he was the one who got left behind.

Top Bottom