• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite sells 1/10th of MvC3's debut in Japan, 1/6th Pokken DX

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
But most of that is made of cut-scenes that only have like the bare minimum amount of motion, like visual novel tier. I figure it's way cheaper. Still crazy to have this shit go on for five hours. I only managed to endure about 10 minutes of GGXrd.
They don't really expect you to sit there and watch it all in one go it's why they have it devised up into episodes I went through it over a few days during meals since it's basically in a season of a show format vs nrs and Capcom stuff being basically in the style of a movie. Mk9 was basically a trilogy of films edited down a bit which was cool

Mr Rivuz

It would take like 4.5 months for one character doing FM missions.
There are also other challenges, last week they gave more than 10000 fm. In a year you can get almost 300.000 fm easily, plus the free 30.000/50.000 they gave away on special occasions. Then every character comes with his story, trials and survival that unlocks more fight money. I bought the game with the first season pass included for 20€, didn't play a lot online (cause i suck lol) and i bought all the 5 season 2 characters released up until now. And i still got almost 500.000 fm away, if there will be a season 3 i'll have no problems buying them with fm.
Not gonna defend the lack of single player modes, i would have played sfv a lot more if it had more sp content, but getting enough fight money isn't that hard if you just want to unlock the characters.

The game graphics do look poor, and I thought the previpus game looked bad as well. No wonder there's a lack of excitememt for this release.

Glass Rebel

MvCI is already at #159 on the Amazon US games bestsellers list and it's only been a week. Meanwhile Pokken is at #31.

It's dead, Jim.

FGC gets their copies from underground game dealers. There could be thousands of undocumented copies out there. Thousands!

I don't think Marvel is even that popular in Japan and fighting games range from niche, dead to on life support, so these results are not surprising. Unfortunately, this makes me wonder if Capcom will really invest into new fighters in the immediate future after their previous offerings dismal performances.

Chasing after the FGC, and taking their opinion as gospel, is what is going wrong with Capcom atm.
The FGC has been just as critical of this game as casuals. The fact that the gameplay is good
and people playing it enjoying it doesn't mean everyone is on board.
Shame on FGC for trying to use common sense instead of overreaction. Such silly noobs, they should just shit on MvC and praise Pokken and how Switch sells fighting games a lot or something.
That's not common sense, thats mindless optimism.

yikes

who in their right mind thought this was a good idea?

I think the public outcry for it. I hate to say this but we might've been the one to have pushed them to do this. Pair that with how NetherRealm changed the expectations of what people expected out of a fighting game... the Japanese companies are simply trying to play catch-up.

I also think the follies of the previous generation of consoles and its development has them a bit nervous. In the previous generation they absolutely flew solo and did their own thing, not bothering to learn or improve upon advances in the industry made by Western companies.

Now? Practically every Japanese developer is trying to play catch-up and spending resources into story mode is an unfortunate consequence of that for MVC:I.

However, after the debacle of SFV... all my benefit-of-the-doubt for Capcom is gone and even if they didn't include a story mode... would MVC:I's roster or graphical capability have been improved? Something in me says no...

Also, to note: The SoCal regional tournament was so hype it convinced me to buy the game so... I'm having a good time with it.

BiggNife

Shame on FGC for trying to use common sense instead of overreaction. Such silly noobs, they should just shit on MvC and praise Pokken and how Switch sells fighting games a lot or something.

This article is basically 800 words that can be summed up as "MvC has always done bad in Japan, only US sales matter"

But, as plenty of people here have said before, even if you take MvC's poor Japanese sales into account, it still sold a fifth of what UMvC3 did in its first week. And that was a revision. The article doesn't even try to address this, instead focusing on an erroneous sales report.

And, as I said in my last post, there's signs its not doing so hot in the US either, as evidenced by Amazon charts. Which obviously aren't foolproof, but give a pretty good idea of where things are at.

Just take the L, dude.

Fraeon

Now? Practically every Japanese developer is trying to play catch-up and spending resources into story mode is an unfortunate consequence of that for MVC:I.

I don't know, Tekken 6 and Blazblue (both Continuum Shift and Calamity Trigger) came before MK9 did and those games had console releases with pretty substantial story modes.

Granted, MKvDC came around the same time as Blazblue, but I don't think that game did much of anything except be tedious.

iJack

Banned
As salty as the dead sea

Not salty, although I love salty. What I mean it's I've been there done that. It's not the first time that a Capcom fighting game was deemed a flop when it wasn't, it happened with SFV two years ago. MvCI sales wouldn't never catch on in Japan because Japan love them handhelds and most of all Pokemon. Obviously MvC would sell way less than that one there.

My point is that Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite being a great game with some insanely fun gameplay and strong fanbase right from the get go - the popularity of the thread here is just one example of that - will prove that this game will have some strong legs. Marvel Studios has Thor: Ragnarok coming, Black Panther and Infinity War next year. Anyone doubting that both Marvel and Capcom won't capitalize heavy on that is crazy

The way I see it, Capcom took the whole thing about making this game a "service" with them adding new characters and skins constantly is something that will catch on because they have some of the most popular characters in the planet right now. Hardcore fanbase, strong esports scene and the popularity of these characters will keep the sales of this game doing better than most here would like to admit. But hey. Maybe I'm just an optimist. :)

iJack

Banned
This article is basically 800 words that can be summed up as "MvC has always done bad in Japan, only US sales matter"

But, as plenty of people here have said before, even if you take MvC's poor Japanese sales into account, it still sold a fifth of what UMvC3 did in its first week. And that was a revision. The article doesn't even try to address this, instead focusing on an erroneous sales report.

And, as I said in my last post, there's signs its not doing so hot in the US either, as evidenced by Amazon charts. Which obviously aren't foolproof, but give a pretty good idea of where things are at.

Just take the L, dude.

We will talk when we see the sales for this game by the holidays.

Tripon

Not salty, although I love salty. What I mean it's I've been there done that. It's not the first time that a Capcom fighting game was deemed a flop when it wasn't, it happened with SFV two years ago. MvCI sales wouldn't never catch on in Japan because Japan love them handhelds and most of all Pokemon. Obviously MvC would sell way less than that one there.

My point is that Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite being a great game with some insanely fun gameplay and strong fanbase right from the get go - the popularity of the thread here is just one example of that - will prove that this game will have some strong legs. Marvel Studios has Thor: Ragnarok coming, Black Panther and Infinity War next year. Anyone doubting that both Marvel and Capcom won't capitalize heavy on that is crazy

The way I see it, Capcom took the whole thing about making this game a "service" with them adding new characters and skins constantly is something that will catch on because they have some of the most popular characters in the planet right now. Hardcore fanbase, strong esports scene and the popularity of these characters will keep the sales of this game doing better than most here would like to admit. But hey. Maybe I'm just an optimist. :)

You are arguing gameplay in a thread about sales. None of what you said is about the sales figures of this game.

If Capcom really wanted to follow games as a service model, then they should have offered a base price to entice more people, gone all the way and do Free to Play.

If it really is a games as a service model, then charging $60 plus another $30 for the season price is only going to target a specific niche because there are few people willing to pay $90 or whatever the equivalent price it is in Yen.

If your proposition is that Capcom is following the games as a service model, they already fell flat at the first stage.

I don't know, Tekken 6 and Blazblue (both Continuum Shift and Calamity Trigger) came before MK9 did and those games had console releases with pretty substantial story modes.

Granted, MKvDC came around the same time as Blazblue, but I don't think that game did much of anything except be tedious.

T6 and Blazblue had story modes but none had the impact that MKvDC had. It wasn't a visual novel, it didn't have tedious filler levels, and it didn't have subpar writing, when compared to other in it's genre.
You are arguing gameplay in a thread about sales. None of what you said is about the sales figures of this game.

If Capcom really wanted to follow games as a service model, then they should have offered a base price to entice more people, gone all the way and do Free to Play.

If it really is a games as a service model, then charging $60 plus another $30 for the season price is only going to target a specific niche because there are few people willing to pay $90 or whatever the equivalent price it is in Yen.

If your proposition is that Capcom is following the games as a service model, they already fell flat at the first stage.
I think you mean Capcom isn't in the position to charge $60 and an extra $30. Cuz other devs that have past success of the model are doing it and making lots of money off it.

We will talk when we see the sales for this game by the holidays.

uRcjTbj.gif

SFV flopped. It took awhile to get through its initial shipment and hasn’t reached its target despite the games as a service support and Capcom trying to take advantage of the fighting game community for promotion even showing up on ESPN.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
T6 and Blazblue had story modes but none had the impact that MKvDC had. It wasn't a visual novel, it didn't have tedious filler levels, and it didn't have subpar writing, when compared to other in it's genre.

I think you mean Capcom isn't in the position to charge $60 and an extra $30. Cuz other devs that have past success of the model are doing it and making lots of money off it.

No if they can't make substantial sp content while also not making the game but ugly. If Capcom doesn't have the resources to do so, many ugly, content light games with strong gameplay have found success at Freemium/discounted price tier.

That site shouldn't really be worried if the big name pros are into the game. Your peoples are enjoying the game. It'd be one thing if Champ and Justin hated the game. That would be a problem.
No if they can't make substantial sp content while also not making the game but ugly. If Capcom doesn't have the resources to do so, many ugly, content light games with strong gameplay have found success at Freemium/discounted price tier.
I don't see this game getting SP updates other than more characters. Maybe one SP mode but I doubt it'll be the focus to add more stuff.

iJack

Banned

I actually think they are. With Black Friday and the holidays in the horizon, we are bound to see some sort of sale for MvC. At same time, cross promotion with new DLCs and tournaments will be happening. I'm not worried about MvC sales, all I'm saying is that this isn't the first time I saw this non-sense of low sales for Capcom fighting games before. I love Arc System games but they DON'T get a following like Capcom games. I love Injustice 2 but the eSport scene of that game isn't nearly as vibrant as Street Fighter V, and I expect the very same to happen with MvC.

The fact is that Capcom CAN charge that high because there are people willing to pay for it. I've bought the game from Steam and purchased the PS4 physical version yesterday. Paid full price for both. There will be people that will wait to get on a sale, and that's okay, I want to play the game and from what I'm seeing online, there's no shortage of players for this thing online.

The rest of the MvC story will follow what always happens: Arc Systems will make an extremely beautiful fighting game, I will love it, but the online scene will still be better for Capcom games. Why? Because Capcom simply is a bigger brand, and when you add Marvel, it's even bigger.

I actually think they are. With Black Friday and the holidays in the horizon, we are bound to see some sort of sale for MvC. At same time, cross promotion with new DLCs and tournaments will be happening. I'm not worried about MvC sales, all I'm saying is that this isn't the first time I saw this non-sense of low sales for Capcom fighting games before. I love Arc System games but they DON'T get a following like Capcom games. I love Injustice 2 but the eSport scene of that game isn't nearly as vibrant as Street Fighter V, and I expect the very same to happen with MvC.

The fact is that Capcom CAN charge that high because there are people willing to pay for it. I've bought the game from Steam and purchased the PS4 physical version yesterday. Paid full price for both. There will be people that will wait to get on a sale, and that's okay, I want to play the game and from what I'm seeing online, there's no shortage of players for this thing online.

The rest of the MvC story will follow what always happens: Arc Systems will make an extremely beautiful fighting game, I will love it, but the online scene will still be better for Capcom games. Why? Because Capcom simply is a bigger brand, and when you add Marvel, it's even bigger.
How much do you predict the game will have sold world-wide by the end of December?

Not salty, although I love salty. What I mean it's I've been there done that. It's not the first time that a Capcom fighting game was deemed a flop when it wasn't, it happened with SFV two years ago

Let me preface this by saying that I take no personal delight in shitting on a good game's sales. This isn't something where I want Street Fighter to die so that another series will take its place as the crown jewel of the FGC community. I like fighting games but I'm way too lousy at all of them to really be a member of the competitive scene. So I'm not trying to further an agenda here. With that out of the way...

In what world is Street Fighter V not regarded as a flop in terms of sales?

Fraeon

When was the last time you played the MKvDC? The only reason half the fights happen is because of a random rage effect that makes everyone go "ME SMASH!".

Then again arguing that a fighting game doesn't have subpar writing is something that's wild to me. The genre's stories are nothing but nonsense reasons for 1v1 fights. It doesn't get more subpar than that.

If anything, I don't think fighting games provide a decent framework for anything resembling good writing unless you go the Arcsys route and drop the requirement to have fights in your stories altogether.

But back to the topic at hand. Pretty much what Dahbomb posted earlier was on point. But also: some folks I know (fg fans) weren't even aware the game is out already. I know this is largely anecdotal but you'd think a game release such as this would be a big event despite the gripes.

iJack

Banned
How much do you predict the game will have sold world-wide by the end of December?

I believe around 500k is reachable. By around June next year, it'll probably have crossed 1m. I doubt that for example, the new Arc Systems DBZ game will have a stronger online community than MvC, or even sell more than MvC, even if it might start similar or even with better sales. Capcom and Marvel simply are bigger brands when it comes to fighting games.

I believe around 500k is reachable. By around June next year, it'll probably have crossed 1m. I doubt that for example, the new Arc Systems DBZ game will have a stronger online community than MvC, or even sell more than MvC, even if it might start similar or even with better sales. Capcom and Marvel simply are bigger brands when it comes to fighting games.
Considering Dragonball Xenoverse sold more than every single modern Capcom fighting game bar vanilla SF4, I'm noy sure they are bigger.

You do realize Capcom's sales expectations are 2 million by March? Doing half of that by June next year is the definition of underperforming. That'd be an even worse result than SFV.

And for reference, MVC3 vanilla sold 2.2 million lifetime. UMVC3 added an extra 1.2 million. So that'd be 1/3 the sales of the previous entry.

warp_

Banned
At the same time if the gameplay is really good they'll still want to support it.

Tell that to KOF14. Graphics matter to everyone, FGC or not.

I do like posting an Eventhubs article in here as if that site means anything. Comparing an Olive Garden in Italy to MVCI sales in Japan is a whole new level of bad comparison. Not to mention it isn't spellchecked like most EH articles. What a mess of a site.

How's the article "something else?" The author is right. He even condenses the entire article to one line: "My takeaway is this: wait and see before passing any major judgement." I mean, that's a reasonable approach to take. He's not being controversial or inflammatory about anything.
Because it conveniently ignores other pieces of info. Just because we don't have NPD numbers doesn't mean we have zero information on US sales.

We know the game is doing badly on Amazon US. We know the game is doing horribly on Steam. Consoles sales are not gonna do some hat trick and save this game from bombing hardcore.

So a total flop then.

iJack

Banned
Let me preface this by saying that I take no personal delight in shitting on a good game's sales. This isn't something where I want Street Fighter to die so that another series will take its place as the crown jewel of the FGC community. I like fighting games but I'm way too lousy at all of them to really be a member of the competitive scene. So I'm not trying to further an agenda here. With that out of the way...

In what world is Street Fighter V not regarded as a flop in terms of sales?

It's not a flop because when you look at how the online gameplay community is, it's basically bigger than any other fighting game out there. I love Injustice 2, but one year from now that game online community will be mostly dead, just like it happened with Injustice 1. Capcom is always about the long game. And I understand you prefering western made games with big story modes if that's your thing, but since I grew up with basically like a competitive scene wannabe, oriental fighting games has always been my thing. SFV online scene is easily the strongest right now when it comes to fighting games. Yes, it has become a niche market, but that's okay in my book. I don't mind the several DLCs and season passes because I'm used to pay several times for these games, it was like that back in the Snes era, we just had to buy different cartridges instead.

Top Bottom