• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite sells 1/10th of MvC3's debut in Japan, 1/6th Pokken DX

Once upon a time, the internet was laughing at USFII, wondering who will buy that overpriced decades old game in 2017. Turns out it is the more bankable fighting game for Capcom than MVCI lol.

And I mean it's got to be way more profitable too, right?

I predict more Ultra editions of classic games like SFIII and SFA3 and fewer built-from-the-ground-up fighting games from Capcom in the future.

Sesha

MvC was never big in Japan, and things have changed market-wise even more since six years ago, but that is not good. A pity that things would end up this way.

Posted in the other thread but I'll reiterate here:

Capcpom stays losing and they honestly deserve the L. This entire generation has been nothing but failure and mistakes for them that they still apparently aren't learning from.

That's not true. The remasters have largely been successful, USF2 was successful, Monster Hunter 4, 4U and X were mega successful, Revelations 2 was successful, and RE7 was mostly successful.

Minsc

Gold Member
If an old, poorly repacked, overpriced Nintendo test game whose purpose is to pat you on the back for your decision to ignore supporting the platform outsells a big name game like this, built on a super successful franchise (Marvel makes hundreds of millions if not billions), well you've done screwed up, I think.

tumblr_m2jxedgVG71qdlh1io1_r1_250.gif

Zukkoyaki

Bummer. Especially since according to pretty much everyone in the OT and FGC the game is actually very, very good. Just couldn't overcome the roster woes, terrible marketing and unimpressive presentation.

soundtest

Banned
Well, hopefully this means that when they actually put a 4 in the title of the next game they'll also make a better effort with it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Those results are exactly the reason why people bitched about Capcom not profiting more from the Switch launch by throwing Mega Man and co. on the console.

I mean how cheap can you be that porting a NES collection to Switch isnt in the budget lol.

Good luck selling those 2m copies.

PS. Even Marvel bombed....Pokken itself is doing much better than i expected on Switch. Thats good to see.

Ridley327

One thing is certain at this point: Monster Hunter World will have to set the entire world on fire in order for Capcom to be able to salvage anything out of this year. The pressure it has to be a smash hit is beyond tremendous.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It had zero marketing period i think >_>

Capcom mishandling the franchise hugely ever since Jan 2017, and they actually have no marketing toward to casual in general (worldwide)

Capcom will not change their strategy at all for any games. They pulled same tactic with DmC. When games get bad impressions so they would stick their heads under the ground and acting like nothing happened. I'm pretty sure they think it would sell based on the branding and Marvel.

They wouldn't learn from their mistake and we will see same things again in the future with other products.

Piscus

Once upon a time, the internet was laughing at USFII, wondering who will buy that overpriced decades old game in 2017. Turns out it is the more bankable fighting game for Capcom than MVCI lol.

Woah, spoiler tag the ending, bro. Some people may not have heard that story yet

jett

D-Member
After Street Fighter V I wonder what happens?

Do they continue to support both games for a while?

Turning SFV into a waifu dress-up simulator seems to have brought moderate success for the game, as far as continued support goes.

Seriously though, I think Marvel is way too much of a failure for continued post-launch support. I don't see how it makes financial sense with such a small userbase.

PantsuJo

One thing is certain at this point: Monster Hunter World will have to set the entire world on fire in order for Capcom to be able to salvage anything out of this year. The pressure it has to be a smash hit is beyond tremendous.
MHW will have decent numbers in the West (good = 2 millions and nothing more, imo).

Without a Switch port, Japan is lost.
Forever.

LordRaptor

Unfortunately the gaming press and gaming community have a tendencey to smell blood in the water, so if there is any element of jank or disapproval of monetisation it will get a critical mauling

Zukkoyaki

After Street Fighter V I wonder what happens?

Do they continue to support both games for a while?
Contrary to popular belief, V is chugging along just fine.

MvCi will probably receive at least one or two seasons of support considering most of that would likely be in development now anyway.

entremet

Marvel not allowing X-Men/FF (well DOOM lol) was a terrible idea. They're practically icons with the series at this point.

Ridley327

Turning SFV into a waifu dress-up simulator seems to have brought moderate success for the game, as far as continued support goes.

Seriously though, I think Marvel is way too much of a failure for continued post-launch support.

I can see them doing at least one more season's worth of DLC, but beyond that, I don't see the business argument for anything further.

BadWolf

I remember seeing someone post that Itsuno was fighting for this internally. I hope it happens.

He has been talking publicly about wanting to make Rival Schools 3 for years now, even said that he has a scenario already written iirc.

Said he wanted to redefine fighting games like SF2 did.

fortunato

Banned
That's not true. The remasters have largely been successful, USF2 was successful, Monster Hunter 4, 4U and X were mega successful, Revelations 2 was successful, and RE7 was mostly successful.

Indeed.

Capcom is living off the legacy of its old games, and was getting huge profits from the handheld audience (Resident Evil VII underperformed, though). Problem is, legacy titles will be over sooner or later, and Monster Hunter moved away from its traditional audience.

Ridley327

Unfortunately the gaming press and gaming community have a tendencey to smell blood in the water, so if there is any element of jank or disapproval of monetisation it will get a critical mauling

Agreed. One false move with the DLC plans and they're going to be torn apart. They're already on some shaky ground as it is with cosmetic DLC being an element to the game, and that's before we've gotten any semblance of their content pipeline post-launch.

BiggNife

The "MvC never sells in Japan" excuse doesn't exactly hold up when UMvC3 sold like five times the amount MvCI did in its first week

Yeah, Japanese Marvel sales were never going to be great, but it's still a REAL bad look.

Also Pokken DX is a great game and I'll never understand why the FGC has a weird stigma against it

Sesha

He has been talking publicly about wanting to make Rival Schools 3 for years now, even said that he has a scenario already written iirc.

Said he wanted to redefine fighting games like SF2 did.

The latter was for a new fighting game he wanted to make.

Toxi

Banned
This isn't just surprising for what a massive bomb Marvel vs Capcom is. Those Pokken sales are really good.

HotHamBoy

Marvel not allowing X-Men/FF (well DOOM lol) was a terrible idea. They're practically icons with the series at this point.

It's true that it doesn't help but there's much more involved here.

As for why MvC:I did so terribly in Japan, well, THEY DIDN'T PUT SPIDER-MAN ON THE FUCKING BOX.

screen-shot-2017-06-12-at-10-54-34-pm-1002495.png

(The box art is the same in all regions)

Top Bottom