• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite sells 1/10th of MvC3's debut in Japan, 1/6th Pokken DX

Marvel not allowing X-Men/FF (well DOOM lol) was a terrible idea. They're practically icons with the series at this point.

Ike Perlmutter is just a bitter old fuck and a notorious penny pincher. So much to the point where Kevin Feige, the ringleader of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, actually went up to Bob Iger and requested to break Marvel Studios out of Perlmutter's control, turning them into a subsidiary of Walt Disney Pictures. That's all you really need to know about the guy.

Now Ike only has control over the MCU TV shows, and look where that is going.

Seik

Banned
Better games sell better.

I bought MvC:I and it's a very flawed game that feels unfinished on many fronts. So it's no surprise to me that both Pokken and USF2 sold more.

It sucks, but that's what happens when you make a game without most of the iconic characters from the series... I'm sure it's not their fault to omit X-men characters , but when you fuck up your own roster. You have no one to blame but yourself.

Ban Puncher

It’s stull crazy seeing such low numbers for a game carrying the marvel brand on it.

Comic sales are down.

Iron Fist and The Defenders bombed on Netflix and ABC is trying to hide all traces of Inhumans.

And now a cult classic game series with a fiercely loyal fanbase just said "Nah, I'm good." to the latest offering.

There is one constant here and it ain't Capcom.

Thud

It's true that it doesn't help but there's much more involved here.

As for why MvC:I did so terribly in Japan, well, THEY DIDN'T PUT SPIDER-MAN ON THE FUCKING BOX.

screen-shot-2017-06-12-at-10-54-34-pm-1002495.png

(The box art is the same in all regions)

The box art kinda sucks. Why aren't they facing each other?

It's more like Marvel and Capcom: Menacing background behind.

Tripon

Comparing Marvel vs Capcom Infinite to the Guilty Gear franchise recent entries:

12/04/14
[PS3] Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign (Arc System Works, 12/04/14) – 27,278 (New)

[PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign (Arc System Works, 12/04/14) – 12,638 (New)

05/26/16
[PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator (Arc System Works, 05/26/16) – 17,829 (New)

05/25/17
[PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2 (Arc System Works, 05/25/17) – 10,609 (New)

MvC:I sold less than what people consider to be a update to a base game this year with a strong arcade following in Japan.

Took all of these from http://gematsu.com/ because those were the first pages shown up.

Forward

Just gonna scare capcom off from making fighters unfortunately.

They've been running scurred since last gen, apparently. You'd think with stamina like that, their games this gen would suck far less.

Thanos courts death. Capcom takes her to bed.

mrmickfran

As for why MvC:I did so terribly in Japan, well, THEY DIDN'T PUT SPIDER-MAN ON THE FUCKING BOX.

That's so fucking stupid. Isn't Spidey their most popular property worldwide? Asia especially loves Spider-Man, but they're like "nah, lets make room for Rocket".

HotHamBoy

Better games sell better.

I bought MvC:I and it's a very flawed game that feels unfinished on many fronts. So it's no surprise to me that both Pokken and USF2 sold more.

Pokken I understand but USF2? It's the very definition if a lazy cash-in port and it's ugly as sin, too.

As for Marvel, it has problems in presentation but it has much more content and better netcode at launch than SFV did and the gameplay is excellent.

A port of MvC:I on Switch would sell better?

I don't think so.

I think it would if only because, as of right now, Switch has far less software both week-to-week and in total compared to the other platforms. We've already had several threads about games who had their best sales on Switch.

BasilZero

Pure justice on Nintendo's side for the devs to question about releasing the game on switch

But I have a feeling this will kill the series sadly ☹️

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well, Capcom's next option is pretty obvious to me...

MARVEL VS. POKEMON!

Wolverine vs. Lucario

And that's all I got. But now I want this to happen.

Sesha

Ah, okay.

New or RS3, he is the one guy that is capable of doing it.

So far he's said he wants to do DMC5, DD2, RS3, Power Stone 3, that new fighting game, and a gardening game.

And yes, I agree. In Itsuno we trust.

Indeed.

Capcom is living off the legacy of its old games, and was getting huge profits from the handheld audience (Resident Evil VII underperformed, though). Problem is, legacy titles will be over sooner or later, and Monster Hunter moved away from its traditional audience.

I would say most publishers do that. However they also tend to launch at least one major new IP, and so far Capcom is one of the few that haven't. Well, Deep Down, but that's nowhere to be seen. Unluckily, Capcom's other more recent attempts to launch new franchises haven't gone well. Dead Rising and Lost Planet found success, although the latter died, while Dark Void and Dragon's Dogma did not perform very well.

That's so fucking stupid. Isn't Spidey their most popular property worldwide? Asia especially loves Spider-Man, but they're like "nah, lets make room for Rocket".

People like Rocket. The ones that makes the most sense to replace is Dr. Strange, if anyone.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Pokemon + Nintendo + Switch = Inevitable hate.
They haven't played it

their garbage is reasoning too

like "it's pokemon it's gonna sell", you can tell these folks don't even have an inkling of understanding on how Pokemon fanbase works, you got shit like people not touching spinoffs

like they even assume the Go folks are the same as the main games fanbase

Well, Capcom's next option is pretty obvious to me...

MARVEL VS. POKEMON!

Wolverine vs. Lucario

And that's all I got. But now I want this to happen.

You're thinking too small.

Magneto x Electrode

BiggNife

how many "MvCI is a bomba" threads will we have?

Do you remember SFV's launch

It was literally like three threads a day of "SFV is selling really bad," "Why does SFV suck," "Will Capcom learn from SFV's mistakes" for like 2-3 weeks

People have their claws out for Capcom these days and I can't really blame them

HotHamBoy

Pure justice on Nintendo's side for the devs to question about releasing the game on switch

But I have a feeling this will kill the series sadly ☹️

Nah, it'll just go to sleep for awhile. MvC3 was released quite a long time after MvC2 and the series was only popular after MvC2 had been out awhile and achieved cult status.

UMvC3 should have been DLC but it wasn't and releasing 9 months after MvC3 is what almost killed the series. MvC3 sales were great, UMvC3 sales were terrible.

Gbraga

Well, hopefully this means that when they actually put a 4 in the title of the next game they'll also make a better effort with it.

Hopefully they go back to 3v3 and assists as well. They changed both of these to make the game more accessible, but the tag mechanic allows for so much bullshit that a new player will be even more lost as soon as they go online.

Toxi

Banned
It's true that it doesn't help but there's much more involved here.

This game is fucking comical in how little they got right.

Forward

I hope Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom Infinite gets announced next E3/Playstation Experience and blows everyone away.

Blow everone away? UMvC:I? How many bombs does Cacpcom have left?

I realize that some Infinite sets are greater than others, but this is the New Math... and Cacpcom wasn't exactly crunching AP numbers Old School, even.

HotHamBoy

The overwhelmingly negative response to the game leading up to its release really killed it.

Too many graphics whores bitching about how it looked.

Have you guys seen MvC2? That game is *hideous.* Mismatched sprites from various sources, incongruent and bizarre 3D backgrounds, loud garish colors, weird nu-jazz OST...

sibarraz

Banned
Is japan, this was never marvel land.

Now, if this happens in the USA, the game would have been a big bomba

Too many graphics whores bitching about how it looked.

Have you guys seen MvC2? That game is *hideous.* Mismatched sprites from various sources, incongruent and bizarre 3D backgrounds, loud garish colors, weird nu-jazz OST...

Was MVC2 a sucess? I mean, the game was obviously sucesfull in the fgc, but I'm not so sure how well it did in the west since when it was released, arcades, the dreamcast and 2d fighting games were dying out.

If we saw this game under those glasses, then yeah, maybe MVC2 suffered from that too with the casual crowd.

And even if we ignore that, in 2017 there is no excuse to release a 60/90 dollars game with cheap production values and Little content

phanphare

Banned
The overwhelmingly negative response to the game leading up to its release really killed it.

yeah honestly the game literally looking like junk from an art style perspective really garnered a lot of negative reactions

I mean, it makes total sense. can't believe Capcom looked at their game and was like "yeah, this is fine"

Top Bottom