• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite sells 1/10th of MvC3's debut in Japan, 1/6th Pokken DX

Ike Perlmutter is just a bitter old fuck and a notorious penny pincher. So much to the point where Kevin Feige, the ringleader of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, actually went up to Bob Iger and requested to break Marvel Studios out of Perlmutter's control, turning them into a subsidiary of Walt Disney Pictures. That's all you really need to know about the guy.

Now Ike only has control over the MCU TV shows, and look where that is going.
Oh God

I preferred Marvel Netflix to the MCU movies up until Iron Fist (yeesh). This news scares and upsets me greatly.

Ban Puncher

The best part is when you finish Story Mode or Arcade, there is a credits roll that seems to go on for an eternity.

And all you can think is "What did all these people do?".

Kashiwaba

Do you remember SFV's launch

It was literally like three threads a day of "SFV is selling really bad," "Why does SFV suck," "Will Capcom learn from SFV's mistakes" for like 2-3 weeks

People have their claws out for Capcom these days and I can't really blame them

Now looking back at it, SFV, didn't bomb at all it's just people were overestimating it, and funny how when Tekken 7 got almost the same numbers despite being on 3 systems, everyone was horray T7 is selling well despite it being a bigger franchise than SF.

Alienous

If Capcom were trying to kill any hype people had for a new Marvel vs. Capcom release I don't think they could have done a better job.

You only have to watch one Marvel vs. Capcom 3 CG trailer to see that MvCI was only going to be a massive sales disappointment. I'm not even sure Capcom tried.

T.O.P

Banned
Is Pokkén actually any good?

Hell yes

source.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzPpAYBy4AY&t=43s

BadWolf

Now looking back at it, SFV, didn't bomb at all it's just people were overestimating it, and funny how when Tekken 7 got almost the same numbers despite being on 3 systems, everyone was horray T7 is selling well despite it being a bigger franchise than SF.

SF5 significantly under performed compared to SF4.

T7 sold more than what its previous entry sold iirc.

T7 also has the vast majority of its profits come from the arcades. SF5 has no such luck.

SFV sold a decent amount worse than it would have if it hadn't been released in a barebones state. There was a lot of negativity surrounding it, too, which surely cut off whatever legs it would've had. Capcom's problem is they've been mismanaging some of their games.

Forward

If Capcom were trying to kill any hype people had for a new Marvel vs. Capcom release I don't think they could have done a better job.

You only have to watch one Marvel vs. Capcom 3 CG trailer to see that MvCI was only going to be a massive sales disappointment. I'm not even sure Capcom tried.

I am honestly not certain how they could have tried harder. They gave this failure a massive push off of Mount Taygetus before it was even out of the womb Beta.

sjay1994

yeah honestly the game literally looking like junk from an art style perspective really garnered a lot of negative reactions

I mean, it makes total sense. can't believe Capcom looked at their game and was like "yeah, this is fine"

Capcom went "this is fine" because they knew that they had no competition and people would buy it, and for the most part they were right since while there was initial disappointment from people, but there wasn't mockery or spite directed at it and people would have begrudgingly bought the game.

...then DBZ got announced.

DBZ was the thing that made most people put their foot down and say "no, I am not supporting Capcom"

Tekken 7 had been released on arcades for years by that point. It was old news by the time it was released on consoles/PC.

Any extra profits were just gravy.

And even then it outperformed Tekken TT2/6.

Kashiwaba

SF5 significantly under performed compared to SF4.

T7 sold more than what its previous entry sold iirc.

T7 also has the vast majority of its profits come from the arcades. SF5 has no such luck.
SF4 was the exception of the norm and everyone knows why, it's nothing to base the sales on, overall Tekken sold more than SF and the bigger franchise on consoles.

Mr Swine

Banned
SFV sold a decent amount worse than it would have if it hadn't been released in a barebones state. There was a lot of negativity surrounding it, too, which surely cut off whatever legs it would've had. Capcom's problem is they've been mismanaging some of their games.

I remember Capcom having expectations of SFV selling 2 and it sold 1.2 million or something and crawled to 1.5 million in about 6-10 months or so

Marcel

I can't say I feel bad for Capcom. I think they need a few more turns in the humility machine for them to get the picture.

It would have sold just as terribly on the Switch. Platform choice isn't what killed this title; the game was getting eviscerated up to launch.

I don't think anyone's claiming this game would've sold that much more on the Switch. Rather, the point is that Capcom is so badly mismanaged that they should have been taking advantage of the growing, hungry user base on the new platform (with easy games to port, like NES roms for instance) since that has proven successful for them, while all of their new projects that skip said platform have been proven wildly unsuccessful.

It's basically- we're gonna ignore the platform that we're actually selling games on to continue making other games that barely sell.

Everything about this game has been mismanaged to the nth degree.

It's baffling.
Utterly baffling.

I am honestly not certain how they could have tried harder. They gave this failure a massive push off of Mount Taygetus before it was out of the wombBeta.

I'm telling you guys, it's the classic Producers move. Embezzle the budgets and put out a giant turd, then blame it on the audience.

Someone at Capcom is getting super rich.

BadWolf

SF4 was the exception of the norm and everyone knows why, it's nothing to base the sales on, overall Tekken sold more than SF.

Overall sure but the series' strength has dwindled significantly on consoles.

Just gotta look at how long it took them to care enough to do a console port of T7.

Clipse

So, would Capcom really drop this game after a season or two of DLC? They’d pretty much have to kill the series since it would be poisoned forever.

Peltz

Is Pokkén actually any good?

It's very odd, yet original in all honestly. I don't enjoy the mechanics at all, but they certainly can be fun if you get into it. It controls differently from every other fighting game that I've seen, but not in a "euphoric" way like Smash or ARMS. It is a lot less natural feeling, but there are also more "systems" in play. It's like an ARC Sys Works game with simplified controls and 3D movement. There are a ton of things to learn and none of them are difficult to execute. Yet you have to juggle all of those lessons/systens as you fight.

I don't think it flows as well as it should. But it could be that I was so turned off by the art style that I never gave it a fair shot. Many fighting games feel like a complicated version of rock paper scissors, and Pokken is no exception. But the movement in the game feels so slow and weighty that it just never feels fun in my humble opinion.

Gestault

So this is just a microcosm of my own experience, but the people I run into who actually stuck around to play the MvC games over time were mostly sadists. The self-identifying scene is just so into leveraging balance problems or infinite combos in a way that the game wasn't really fun to engage with in an event setting.

There's the obvious layer of mismanagement on Capcom's part, but I wonder if part of this commercial reaction is from a lack of love for these games from the people who might have enjoyed them in the past, as actual fighting games.

Jawmuncher

Man, DragonBall FighterZ really is going to replace Marvel isn't it?

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if it takes the spot at EVO as a long-term mainstay. Especially since ArcSys will be good to go with with adding more content as years go on.

So, would Capcom really drop this game after a season or two of DLC? They'd pretty much have to kill the series since it would be poisoned forever.

It'll depend on the profits they make for DLC.
If they're making profit with the character pass and costumes they'll keep going. If they do two seasons worth and are in the negative. it's dropped more than likely.

Berordn

I don't really think that's true. I love Nintendo games but Pokken doesn't stand out much.

MVCI, while having issues, feels like a more fun game to play.

I mean, opinions and all that, but Nintendo proper's got virtually nothing to do with Pokken. It's a Bandai Namco/TPCi joint.

Even then it feels pretty unique to me, particularly with the phase shifting stuff going on and the relative obscurity of some of their picks (I mean yeah they're all Pokemon, but did you really expect to see Croagunk or Chandelure getting top billing in a Pokemon spinoff?).

warp_

Banned
Too many graphics whores bitching about how it looked.

Have you guys seen MvC2? That game is *hideous.* Mismatched sprites from various sources, incongruent and bizarre 3D backgrounds, loud garish colors, weird nu-jazz OST...

You are right, MVC2 did look bad. The sprites were a mess and taken from years of old games. However the reason for this is to have a giant cast made up of all those sprites. Everyone's favorite fighter from the older games was in there...plus a couple new folks too. MVCI looks awful yet there's no payoff with a giant, cool roster of fighters to make up for it.

Probably not. It'll sell slightly better than a normal Arcsys game and then disappear like normal after 2-3 months.

Griss

Happy for Pokken. The original game's roster just fell on the wrong side of the right size, but with the extra 5 characters (with the two Mewtwos unlocked from the start it feels like 7 new characters when you boot it up) it now feels perfect.

Scizor and Decidueye are both great additions - super fun to play as both. And the single player feels like less of a grind when you're not seeing the same opponents again and again. In the Wii U version you'd often face the same pokemon twice in a block of 5 league matches. Here that basically never happens. The roster is big enough now.

While I guess it’s funny with Capcom’s lack of support on Switch, I don’t think it would’ve done well anywhere.
It’s a mess of a game in the eye of the public and it would need a lot of work to fix.
Don’t think it’ll reach its 2M by the fiscal year with hype being considerably lower than SFV.

As for Pokken, it seems like a low effort project. But the Pokémon name is big, I guess.
Seems like there’s an audience for fighting games on Switch

BadWolf

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if it takes the spot at EVO as a long-term mainstay. Especially since ArcSys will be good to go with with adding more content as years go on.

Doubt it, Evo seems to give preference to Marvel.

Infinite will probably get the time slot before SFV for a few years to come.

PantsuJo

It'll depend on the profits they make for DLC.
If they're making profit with the character pass and costumes they'll keep going. If they do two seasons worth and are in the negative. it's dropped more than likely.
Jawmuncher, your profile pics are always awesome, my dude.

It's going to become the new standard for how all anime/comic based games should look, at last it they're going for the cartoony look (in contrast to In Justice's realistic art style)

Capcom will have to step things up significantly next time. I think it's been understated how much of a drop in art style quality their fighting games had in the transition to 3D. Their old CPS2 stuff all had an identifiable, unique and gorgeous look to them

Top Bottom