• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Doctor Strange | Production Thread

Platy

Doctor Strange just premiered in Hong Kong:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-film-doctorstrange-idUSKCN12E0E2

r

I'm thinking it's time to start the OT?

Needs more |,,|_ signs

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So descriptions for the post credits scenes have already been released online.

I didn't read them to avoid spoilers, but I'm guessing one of them will tie into
Ragnarok.

ramparter

Banned
Just found out it's released next Thursday in Greece, Woohoo!!! (UK and other countries on Tuesday)
I always assumed it would be November.

MarveI

Wow wasn't expecting this. Word is Dr.Strange is worse than Thor The Dark World.
Some people posted a link from a box office forum where a senior member who attends early screenings shared it and it was brutal. I mean there was going to be a dud eventually but I was hoping this wouldn't be one of them. Shame.

Wow wasn't expecting this. Word is Dr.Strange is worse than Thor The Dark World.
Some people posted a link from a box office forum where a senior member who attends early screenings shared it and it was brutal. I mean there was going to be a dud eventually but I was hoping this wouldn't be one of them. Shame.

Not likely. Marvel is breaking embargo early because of the strong press surrounding it.

dtrush

Lmao one vague review and it is horrible. I wouldn't take his review seriously, he did enjoy BvS.

I dunno why, but I have a notion in my head that Doctor Strange is Feige's baby, in the sense that he would actually do his damndest to have this film done right. Iunno.

I'm going into early November with hopes that this film is all-the-way completely trippy like I saw in the IMAX 3D preview last week, and that 2 full Phases (Hrm) of comic book adaptation film-making have informed them to not just follow the usual playbook to the film's detriment.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Super curious whats the point of the trailer was that was possible to watch with sense forward and backward.

Maybe this movie has a timeline that works in booth directions?

MarveI

Lmao one vague review and it is horrible. I wouldn't take his review seriously, he did enjoy BvS.

He actually posted proof of his ticket on reddit. And is a huge Marvel fan.

It worries me more that someone capable of liking things like BvS and SS didn't even like this one.

But he worked on the film. What was he going to say ''it's not good man ?''. People who work on the films, even bad ones, rarely speak the truth imo.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Maybe thats the 1% in the 99% fresh Rotten Tomato score.

Yes, it wont be 99% fresh, but man, calm down, its one opinion and and when he likes stuff he isnt booked to love everything else.

Link?

EDIT: I saw a review on /r/MarvelStudios, they said the movie was great but the story was predictable/generic.

man if marvel wastes Mads i'll be broken, I didnt watch every episode of hannibal for this breh's
mjcry1.png

SpaceWolf

Banned
Doctor Strange isn't going to be worse than Thor: Dark World, guys.

Tilda Swinton alone should see to that.

Also, have we seriously not learned yet to never trust fan opinions during early screenings as opposed to waiting for the fully fledged reviews? Have we learnt nothing?

Voror

I saw a review on /r/MarvelStudios, they said the movie was great but the story was predictable/generic.

man if marvel wastes Mads i'll be broken, I didnt watch every episode of hannibal for this breh's
mjcry1.png

That sounds about what anyone would expect really.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstud...re_was_a_french_screening_for_doctor_strange/

Supposedly from a French screening:

"DS is killing it visually, the script is smart and the actors are excellent."

"His story is very conventional, Doctor Strange makes up for it with a crazy 3rd act. Scott Derrickson knows how to film a fight"

"Doctor Strange is one of the most difficult comics to adapt for a wide audience. IMHO Marvel made the right choices to achieve this."

"DS is visually breathtaking and Cumberbatch portrays his character perfectly"

"Now people will be happy to go see the Doctor"

"DS is as baffling as it is pleasurable! A real hypnotising show"

"Benedict Cumberbatch was born to play this role which he portrays perfectly!"

"The most visually impressive Marvel film"

"DS is a solid entertainment led by Benedict who was made for this role."

"Visually fabulous, Doctor Strange brings into the Marvel Cinematic Universe into a great new dimension!"

"Visually it's incredible, 1,000 ideas on the screen. But the story is predictable

"Scott Derrickson transcends the spirit of the comics and delivers a haunting and original filmmakers experience"

"Lots of love for Doctor Strange. Marvel is on top of their game."

The story seems conventional but i assumed so already. seems the movie delivers though.

BLACKLAC

If the script is being called smart but predictable I don't really consider that a problem. Only cbm this year you can claim wasn't predictable is Civil War, and DS is an origin.

Sounds good.

Phamit

Someone I know was at a german press Screening and liked the movie. But was tight lipped otherwise, embargo seems to be the 24th

guek

Banned
Link?

EDIT: I saw a review on /r/MarvelStudios, they said the movie was great but the story was predictable/generic.

mjcry1.png

If you build up your hype around one singular condition, the likelihood of you hating a movie you'd have otherwise enjoyed is quite high.

Realeza

Banned
What are we expecting from this movie? Like godtier level or Ant-Man level?

I don't know jackshit about Dr. Strange, but all the trailers I've seen of this look mesmerizing. It looks like Batman Begins and Inception had a baby.

BLACKLAC

Hard to answer since I know quite a few people who consider Ant-man their favorite mcu. Doc Strange is not Ant-man though.

It sounds like even david ehrlich liked it..... lol I think I'm calling 85% or higher on RT.

The Kree

Banned

I don't know jackshit about Dr. Strange, but all the trailers I've seen of this look mesmerizing. It looks like Batman Begins and Inception had a baby.

Saying tier and level is redundant.

Top Bottom