• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Doctor Strange | Production Thread

Scott Derrickson ‏@scottderrickson 51s52 seconds ago
Building banner in China

Cuao1_WVUAA86Hr.jpg

Meier

Got our tickets for opening day. Alamo is having a pint glass and pin from Mondo.. ordered one of each. Doing it in 3D as well because I can imagine this will be especially wild in it.

3fVcVG79Nn597V7FNSQKgMFJkG7SHIA8XsskXZyvGqMv4Ae3PBBKaOgMOyZT-bAnS2bbFIdc8qUM8ndmARaOGiuPKuVY3PjOYoCDN7TInI4nLJBVL04Wxk7iQZ8fnbd5IaZHCA9k4Q=s0-d-e1-ft

northead

We need details!

I'll quote myself from Reddit:

It was essentially a 15-minutes supercut of what I believe will be the first hour of the movie, and then a few shots of what looked like a more Act 3-ish scene. It was all edited as a giant trailer though, especially towards the end when music kicked in. Mostly, however, this was a CGI showoff, with a bargeload of insanely trippy scenes that genuinely made Inception look childish. It was so dense I believe I almost started to feel dizzy at one point — good stuff.

Did you watch it in 3D? If so, please tell of your experience with it.

It was IMAX 3D. I have to say that the visuals were indeed impressive and by far the best part of the preview — but that's because this whole thing was mostly about showing off Marvel's CGI prowess.

Going to the preview tonight here in the Bay Area. I'm super excited!
Enjoy man!
15 inch IMAX screening? What is this?!? An IMAX for ants?

No, no, haha
It was 15 *minutes* of the movie in IMAX.

northead

good. good.

Edit: Was Michael Giacchino's score on display?
I can't say for sure, but I would say no. The first part of the screening was composed of actual bits of various scenes and run without music. It got more trailer-ish towards the end, but I really wouldn't be able to tell whether the music was part of the OST or not.
Yeah, pretty much.

Although again, the editing was made ad hoc, so chances are the visual insanity will be less dense when spread across the entire movie.

But still, like, holy fuck.

It felt like they did a truncated version of the origin, took out the middle, and then showed stuff from later in the film

Also I think Mads' main power in this film is to Inception the shit out of things

Can't say much about the story, but the 15-minute preview was amazing for the visuals alone. Marvel even had Sebastian Stan introduce it at my theater despite him not being in the film.

Final trailer should be out shortly and cut down from this footage, if the GotG preview two years ago is any indication.

northead

Can't say much about the story, but the 15-minute preview was amazing for the visuals alone. Marvel even had Sebastian Stan introduce it at my theater despite him not being in the film.

Final trailer should be out shortly and cut down from this footage, if the GotG preview two years ago is any indication.

Ha, awesome! We were lucky enough to get Cumberbatch himself :)

northead

I assume this was in London? Probably easier to snag him out there.
It was! He gave a quick interview to brief us in on the idea behind the movie and how he prepared for the role — however he said that he had basically just flown in and was coming straight from the airport. No actual fan interaction, but it was cool to have him there nonetheless.
I think this is a US only thing.

As a Londoner, I bloody well hope it is.

Edit: Just checked where you're from, Northead. London?! FUCK. I didn't know we had a 15 minutes thing here!

Yeah me neither, a friend of mine clued me in. It wasn't really advertised anywhere, I guess, as capacity was obviously small and the tickets were free for everyone to book.

I'm sorry mate! If it can help, this whole thing was sponsored by a website called ShowFilmFirst, so if you sign up there chances are future early screenings will pop up.

Yeah me neither, a friend of mine clued me in. It wasn't really advertised anywhere, I guess, as capacity was obviously small and the tickets were free for everyone to book.

I'm sorry mate! If it can help, this whole thing was sponsored by a website called ShowFilmFirst, so if you sign up there chances are future early screenings will pop up.
Damn, I'm signed up to them as well. Ah well. Was it Leicester Square? It would be hilarious if it was because I was there around that time today.

This shit was the craziest thing I've seen in a while. I'm def going to need some shrooms and edibles for this opening night 👀

In line here in San Francisco for the IMAX peek. Lots of older people (45+) in this line than I thought but it's kinda cool to see older fans here.

Freebie poster is lame in comparison to the freebie one that they gave out for Guardians tho...

BLACKLAC

Ya'll need to lower your hype. we all know that there's a good chance Mads with be a typical WOAT marvel jobber villain.

Good thing this is a film about Doctor Strange.

What I wanted was a villain driven by a compelling agenda. He is a man of ideas. He has a cogent, defendable point of view, which is what I always find interesting in antagonists and villains.

He won't be as arch or one-dimensional as he was in the comics. He undergoes a slow evolution/de-volution in this movie.

AMUSIX

Ya'll need to lower your hype. we all know that there's a good chance Mads with be a typical WOAT marvel jobber villain.

I'm going to assume this will be true of all Marvel movies, but every now and then they surprise me.

There is this little bit of promise...
Q: Considering the often lukewarm responses to villains in most Marvel movies, how did you approach creating yours? Mads Mikkelsen is a fantastic actor, yet he appears to be in what's seemingly a tiny one off role from the canon.

Derrickson: What I wanted was a villain driven by a compelling agenda. He is a man of ideas. He has a cogent, defendable point of view, which is what I always find interesting in antagonists and villains.

Top Bottom