• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Doctor Strange | Production Thread

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Apparently, Doctor Strange is coming to Disney World.

Csfx8wWW8AE6e-M.jpg

Also, a good read at io9:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-doctor-strange-will-push-the-boundaries-of-what-a-s-1787057091

How Doctor Strange Will Push the Boundaries of What a Superhero Movie Is

Don’t just think of Doctor Strange as simply the magic Marvel movie, though—and it’s definitely nothing like Harry Potter. “For me, the starting point was what kind of things have we not seen in cinema,” director Scott Derrickson said. “[We were] almost working backward. What kind of action could be created in cinema that we haven’t seen? I started from that place and looked for a way to tie that into magic.”

Interesting bit at the end here:

Instead, the villain is Kassilus, played by Mads Mikkelsen.

Kassilus is a fellow sorcerer who “has a philosophical break” from the others, according to Feige. And though he’s not a well-known Marvel character, Derrickson hints he may not be working alone. “From the beginning, I was pitching an antagonist who was rooted in the real world,” Derrickson said. “So that there could be an intimate relatability between Strange and his adversary, but who was empowered by something else. Something otherworldly. And I’ll say this—another character straight from the comics.” Derrickson likened this mysterious relationship to Sauron and Saruman in Lord of the Rings, sort of a master-apprentice thing.

http://www.slashfilm.com/scott-derrickson-doctor-strange-interview/

Interview: Director Scott Derrickson Explains How Doctor Strange Is More Like ‘Winter Soldier’ Than ‘Guardians’

Is there a sense of humor to it as well?

Scott Derrickson: Yeah.

Where does that–?

Scott Derrickson: It’s Benedict, how can it not be funny, you know?

By playing it straight, it’s funny or is he–?

Scott Derrickson: I mean, he’s just he is a funny guy. And there’s funny lines in the script, there’s comedy in it. But it’s not Guardians [of the Galaxy]. It’s not that tone by any means. It’s closer to [Captain America:] Winter Soldier, which has comedy in it and has some really funny lines in it. That I love, I just named my two favorite Marvel movies by the way. And part of my love for Winter Soldier is the high impact, grounded nature of the action in that movie. And the subversive grounded ideas of that movie within what is just one of the great kickass action movies. Like that’s what I love about Winter Soldier in a nutshell. So we have a lot of humor spread throughout, but it is a very grounded, realistic movie about a guy who suffers a lot. And transforms, you know. So there’s also it’s also very dramatic.

Misleading headline, in that he's just talking about the humor.

Eager to get an extended look at the film before it’s released on November 4th? Marvel and IMAX are offering an exclusive fifteen-minutes screening through See It First for various locations. The sneak peek will be in 3D, and will more than likely be various scenes like was the case with the sneak peek for Guardians of the Galaxy back in 2014. You can register for tickets by heading over here:

http://www.seeitfirst.net/pin/131383

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Eager to get an extended look at the film before it’s released on November 4th? Marvel and IMAX are offering an exclusive fifteen-minutes screening through See It First for various locations. The sneak peek will be in 3D, and will more than likely be various scenes like was the case with the sneak peek for Guardians of the Galaxy back in 2014. You can register for tickets by heading over here:

So they are confident again. Thats good.

Platy

xkramz

apparently they are offering a 15mnts IMAX sneak peek if anyone is interested:

Calling all Marvel fans!
EXPAND YOUR MIND on 10/10:
An IMAX 3D Exclusive Look

Event Note: This Footage Event will showcase a total of 15 minutes of the film in IMAX 3D! It is NOT a full advance screening of the film.

Fans who attend this exclusive sneak peek will also receive a limited-edition, collectible “Doctor Strange” IMAX poster! While supplies last.

From Marvel comes “Doctor Strange,” the story of world-­famous neurosurgeon Dr. Stephen Strange whose life changes forever after a horrific car accident robs him of the use of his hands. When traditional medicine fails him, he is forced to look for healing, and hope, in an unlikely place—a mysterious enclave known as Kamar-­Taj. He quickly learns that this is not just a center for healing but also the front line of a battle against unseen dark forces bent on destroying our reality. Before long Strange—armed with newly acquired magical powers—is forced to choose whether to return to his life of fortune and status or leave it all behind to defend the world as the most powerful sorcerer in existence. Join Strange on his dangerous, mystifying, and totally mind-­bending journey when Marvel’s “Doctor Strange” opens in U.S. theaters on November 4, 2016

Facebook: facebook.com/DoctorStrangeOfficial
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/DrStrange
Instagram: instagram.com/Marvel
©2016 Marvel Studios
©2016 IMAX
IMAX® is a registered trademark of IMAX Corporation.

Rating: PG-13

BluWacky

*small voice* Is there ever going to be a trailer - or in fact, a scene in the film - that gives Rachel McAdams something worthwhile to do?

SpaceWolf

Banned
*small voice* Is there ever going to be a trailer - or in fact, a scene in the film - that gives Rachel McAdams something worthwhile to do?

When it comes to the extent of McAdams role in this, I imagine the director leafing through the script before the first day of shooting, only to realise to his horror that the script didn't feature an OBLIGATORY LOVE INTEREST (TM). So Kevin Feige had to call up the writers to urge them to shove one into the script at the literal last second before the cameras start rolling.

"So who can she be? Like, a fellow mystic that Strange happens to meet in Tibet or something?"

"Shit dude, who cares? We need to get a bland love interest into the script by midnight! That's in two minutes!"

"All right! She can be a nurse! A nurse! But who will play this bland, utterly incosequential love interest?"

"Dude, who else? Rachel McAdams!"

"DUDE, YES!"

(They high five each other, submitting the script with seconds to spare)

The movie theatre close to me is one of the theatres doing the sneak peek, and I'm tempted to go, but the movie is just a month away.
Yeah I'm weak, the tickets were free and you supposedly get a special poster. Me and my group of friends just couldn't pass up on it. TBH it's probably going to make the wait for the next month harder but I'm super excited for this movie.

Quick

Banned
Yeah I'm weak, the tickets were free and you supposedly get a special poster. Me and my group of friends just couldn't pass up on it. TBH it's probably going to make the wait for the next month harder but I'm super excited for this movie.

I went to the GOTG sneak preview years ago and the exclusive poster was pretty small. 11x17 I think. That kind of sucked, but I ain't mad since it was free.

I was hoping they'd pull an Oprah and say "you're all going to see the movie now!" lol

Top Bottom