• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders |OT| Featuring The Worst Iron Fist - August 18th on Netflix

Toa TAK

Banned
I don't regret binging Iron Fist for this.

You could probably do without, but it ain't the same. Plus, I genuinely like Danny Rand. He's a dumb, naive, rich kid, who has his heart in the right place. He's acting exactly as I'd expect in his own show and this one. Eh.

2 episodes in and I'm enjoying it! I like every character except Iron Fist of course, although I dug
his and Luke's first encounter
I didn't realize how much I missed all these characters. Frankly I'm just happy to see more of them, especially Luke.

Just watched the first episode. Man that was like a warm hug. Loved it. Great intros, great transitions. I loved it. I'm probably going to power through tonight.

Episode 6

Well holy shit, wasn't really expecting that ending.

Ya know, Danny on his own? Trash. Danny interacting with the other characters? Not bad, especially with Luke.

I completely agree. If it were a five or six episode series, it probably would have been very good. Instead, it completely shits the bed by the end of the series.
I totally disagree. It falters for being a bit long at the 2/3rd point but the ending was legit. JJ and Luke Cage are my favorites. DD season 1 was good as well.

Reviews were right about that first episode. Episode 2 got better. I might just watch the rest by myself. I don't see how motherfuckers can sit and watch 8 hours straight like that. It's exhausting and that's a lot of time wasted where I could be doing something productive.

Neoxon

Episode 6

Well holy shit, wasn't really expecting that ending.

Ya know, Danny on his own? Trash. Danny interacting with the other characters? Not bad, especially with Luke.
That's why we need Heroes for Hire. Danny & Luke have pretty good chemistry. Plus Danny could use a big brother figure like Luke to steer him in the right direction as a hero.

Watched episode 1 and it was weak and boring. But I let episode 2 start, and it opens with DD protecting some looters from the people they stole from.

I'm out. What a load of shit.

Just finished binging the series so here are my hot-takes:
  • Danny Rand is still hilariously the weak link. It becomes pretty blatant when
    he spends quite a few episodes kidnapped
    . Not helping the fact that the only character outside of Colleen he really gets to bounce off of is Luke and that's the only time he doesn't come off as this one-note "I must defeat the Hand" robot.
  • Loved the "team chemistry/dynamics" between Luke and Jess, Jess and Matt. and Luke and Danny
  • Sticks still steals the scenes he appears in
  • Sigourney Weaver in this was kind of meh. Her character was really undercooked.
  • Not sure how I feel on
    Elektra's
    kind of sort of heel turn.

ShadyK54

Defenders done. Thought the ending was ok-good.
Not sure why they went with a fake out to wrap it up, but hopefully they deal with the repercussions of that at the beginning of DD S3

Time for some quick and dirty thou-

Just finished binging the series so here are my hot-takes:
  • Danny Rand is still hilariously the weak link. It becomes pretty blatant when
    he spends quite a few episodes kidnapped
    . Not helping the fact that the only character outside of Colleen he really gets to bounce off of is Luke and that's the only time he doesn't come off as this one-note "I must defeat the Hand" robot.
  • Loved the "team chemistry/dynamics" between Luke and Jess, Jess and Matt. and Luke and Danny
  • Sticks still steals the scenes he appears in
  • Sigourney Weaver in this was kind of meh. Her character was really undercooked.
  • Not sure how I feel on
    Elektra's
    kind of sort of heel turn.

Welp, this actually sums up my thoughts pretty well lmao. The chemistry between Luke and Danny has me wishing they decide to explore a Heroes for Hire season.

Overall, I really enjoyed The Defenders. Felt great to see all the characters & Hell's Kitchen again.

Time to wait...

giphy.gif

You'd think that they'd focus the show around Matt or Jessica, not Danny Rand.

The Hand just puts me to sleep, it's so cliche and melodramatic.

Malyse

I would like Elevator fights to be the new Hallway fight.

The shocking swerve was legit shocking. I'm glad they did the thing they were teasing. And they handled Danny brilliantly
buy kidnapping and knocking him the fuck out for hours at a time.

Stick did nothing wrong. He was trying to look out for the audience.

Also, it felt like the show knew you didn't watch IF and did their best to not call back to it sans explanation.

Sulik2

Through three episodes I quite like it so far. Jessica continues to be the best character and Danny was solid in the third episode.

Hyun Sai

Finished it. There was one good episode (episode 6) and that's about it. Still better than Iron Fist, but that show will be hard to beat.

To long time Iron Fist readers : is Danny Rand that DUMB in the comics ?

Anbec7

I really liked it, It kind of washed away the bad taste after Iron Fist. Surprinsingly it seems they fixed Danny´s character just a little.
Quick points!
  1. Jessica continues to be amazing!
  2. Really liked the interactions, they felt almost... organic on some situations
  3. I really liked the Matt/Jess and Luke/Danny dynamics
  4. Glad to see the side characters get some more screentime but not taking a lot from the main 4
  5. Really liked the beginning actually connection with the stories from each one of the individuals
So any news on the next series? It kind of left me wanting some more, I hope they improve their budget for the next seasons since some of the effects where a little rough.
And the camera shake sometimes was a little annoying.

Other than that it was "good" closure-continuation for what's next to come.

Just watched the first episode. Man that was like a warm hug. Loved it. Great intros, great transitions. I loved it. I'm probably going to power through tonight.

Just finished episode 1.
I loved just about everything in this episode

Everything.
i'm legit impressed it's starting like this

VeeP

I've just reached the 4th episode, decided to watch until
Stick
shows up.

I'm really liking it so far.

Matt is a great character as always. Foggy and Karen got a little screen time, and their scenes were just the right amount.

Jessica is written extremely well here. Her banter with Matt is pretty solid imo. She's also showing off some of her P.I. skills, so that's another plus.

Luke is written well, some solid chemistry with Danny. I like the hip hop tracks, but I know some people are annoyed because they find it stereotypical. What they should've done is had "themes" for each character and played them at the right moments.

Danny is funny imo. His banter with Luke and everyone in general is pretty funny. I feel like there's still room for improvement with him, some part of Danny seems off.

The other characters from each hero's respective show are all solid, they don't overstay their welcome, no bullshit.

So far solid. Hopefully episode 4-8 deliver. I'll watch them over the next few days.

I'm curious, does the Punisher show up in this?

No one in real life dislikes Danny Rand as much as every character in this show dislikes Danny Rand. It's hilarious.

Seriously. Matt is blind, but can see. Jessica can leap and has super strength. Luke has super strength and is impenetrable.

But Danny is weird because he focuses his Chi.

Whoever writes Danny's dialogue needs fired. I mean, the dude might be a bad actor, but it's hard for me to tell with dialogue this bad. The rest of the writing has seemed fine so far. But, every time he is on screen, it's very not good.

barit

Yoo that AoS cameo lol
"Tremor rocks New York" on the newspaper which Luke reads. Must be from Season 4

I love that. Still hope to see crazy crossovers one day like Dr. Strange in Defenders Season 3 and so on

RS4-

I don't get why the NYPD is holding a certain something in their evidence locker.

Anyway, overall I liked it. It's far better than IF but like DD S2, all the hand shit is garbage. Gao is the only interesting character related to it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
These impressions aren't selling me.

LotusHD

Banned
Yoo that AoS cameo lol
"Tremor rocks New York" on the newspaper which Luke reads. Must be from Season 4

I love that. Still hope to see crazy crossovers one day like Dr. Strange in Defenders Season 3 and so on

I thought Defenders isn't even synched up with AoS current day

Nose Master

Anyone else get a TMNT flashback in Episode 3 where
they turn off the lights during her last test?
Expected her to be holding bells.

btkadams

I’m midway through episode 2 and it’s making me realize (again) that I love Jessica Jones. I don’t give a FUCK about Iron Fist or Luke Cage. I wish I was just watching Jessica Jones season 2 at this point. Hopefully it picks up for me. I do like Daredevil but Jessica is the star.

To long time Iron Fist readers : is Danny Rand that DUMB in the comics ?

no he is not by any stretch of the means. I have NO idea what Finn Jones is trying to do with this portrayal (granted i think hes a pretty weak actor in general) but Ironfist is not like this at all.
He's a very laid back person but silly sometimes. He is not just blindingly angry like a petulant child all the time that resorts to violence because usually tries to avoid it.
He can be the sage in whatever group he is in offering wisdom since he is a very analytical person.
While he does doubt himself sometimes, he never goes into self-pity mode or whine (GOD).
Yes, we was socially inept for a short time but it was not to the point where he is just incredibly daft believing every person who utters the words "Kun Lun"...

On episode 5 now and it has been enjoyable. Danny has as expected improved on this second outing, less compromised by the infamous overall mess of Iron Fist S1. He is entertaining in group settings and now with (relatively) better action scenes and use of the Iron Fist.

Slightly slow start with Matt but now the Daredevil side tends to dominate with Matt's well-acted gravitas and Stick's general awesomeness, to put it in academic terms. Binging some more.

I felt like Danny was written the way he was on purpose. He takes everything way more seriously than everyone else. He's way more spiritual and is pretty much involved in that mystical shit to a degree the others aren't. It's supposed to seem like he's crazy from the perspective of the characters and the audience. That's basically his schtick.
He 100% believes in everything that's happening, but no one else does. Besides Stick.
He's a humorless and naive Stick basically.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Yoo that AoS cameo lol

I think they're talking about the
actual earthquake in episode 1 or 2 or whatever.

Also, I'd forgotten that he literally only has the single Iron Fist. God that's dumb.

Linkin112

Finale spoilers
Surprised they cut Misty's arm off, Daughters of the Dragon might actually happen.

The Matt death fakeout was an odd way to wrap up the show, will be quickly dealt with during the first minutes of Daredevil Season 3 probably.

And wtf was that final shot of Danny sitting on top the building? At first I thought it'd reveal it was Matt, but then it showed it was actually Danny and then just ends. Suppose to show he's taken up the mantle as the new guardian of New York I guess?

Overall, I'd give this a 3.5/5. It's not terrible, but it had way more potential than what was displayed. I'd say Episode 3-6 were the sweet spot, so it's basically 4 good episode sandwiched by meh. And after the Netflix MCU had pretty decent villains for the most part, I was disappointed with basically all of the Hand in this, even Elektra didn't do much for me.

DD S1 > JJ S1 > DD S2 > LC S1 > Defenders > IF S1

VeeP

I think they're talking about the
actual earthquake in episode 1 or 2 or whatever.

Also, I'd forgotten that he literally only has the single Iron Fist. God that's dumb.

Can someone explain that shit to me? I just give him only one iron fist. Like, just one, wtf Dany?

Top Bottom