• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders |OT| Featuring The Worst Iron Fist - August 18th on Netflix

Froli

With all this replies, not gonna watch it. Sad that I was so hyped with the heroes are finally together and turns out it was all "Meh".

This seems the common criticism on this thread

Inconsistent power levels, lazy writing flaws, pacing problems, Mehdiocre fight choreography and camera work.
Not gonna trust this show runners ever again

SpaceWolf

Banned
A person having super strength really doesn't mean much when they don't know how to fight and they're going up against a sect of ninjas.

psychotron

Having liked all the individual shows, save for Iron Fist which I didn't watch, this was terrible. I think I watched Sigourney Weaver eat and get dressed more than anything else. It was a snooze fest and Danny was an annoying little shit. I need the Punisher to help me forget this mess.

Treo360

I miss the grit of dd seasons 1 and 2. I watched the Iron Fist and thought that was meh, but slightly watchable. On second thought, I only cared for Ward. JJ just bored me to not make it past 4 episodes. Luke Cage, that character and his abilities do nothing for me, and thus I didn't even watch a single episode.

But this crap? Wtf happened to the Hand? Matt's suit, and its capabilities in regards to what type of damage it can receive.

I hope that they don't neuter Frank.

I just binge watched Daredevil, Iron Fist and Defenders. Watched JJ a few months ago. Not sure if I'll watch Luke Cage.

I liked the show. I have to agree that Jessica didn't really impress like she should save for one or two instances. Danny needs to grow the fuck up.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
She
socks the piss out of Danny when he won't behave and she saves Danny and Luke by holding up an entire elevator with one hand

Well anyone can do that to this version of Dany and [episode 8]
they waited until the final part of the final episode to do this for her.
Just a terrible use of her and Iron Fist in this.

jrDev

Watched up to episode 4 and screamed with tears of nerd joy at episode 4 ending mixed with the epic theme (OMG might be the best theme of all the shows). LOVED the use of color for each character. Wife and I LOVED everything so far.

...Then I come to GAF and read the thread, fucking GAF lol never fails. Actually forgot GAF is always the vocal minority of negativity lol.

So far my ranking is DD1 > D1 > DD2 > LC1 > JJ1 > IF1.

Bring on more Marvel stuff Netflix! What a time to be alive!

BBboy20

And they really just do a poor job at representing the power of these heroes. Random Hand dudes, not even the "leaders" are able to smack around and push back Luke Cage who doesn't flinch at bullets, but staggers when kicked? Jessica and Luke can push cars around but can't knock out normal dudes in one blow.
Should have those goons used some Shocker-inspired concussion gauntlets if they didn't have the same chi-damaging abilities that the lead Hands had.

Should have those goons used some Shocker-inspired concussion gauntlets if they didn't have the same chi-damaging abilities that the lead Hands had.
That, and what they could have done was portray the Hand ninjas as so fast and skilled that guys like Luke and Jessica have trouble hitting them at all. But no, that's not what they actually did.

BBboy20

I have to ask: is Claire meant for great things? I kind of noticed rummages about her in the last few years but I never really looked into it but since the big event has happened...she really didn't seem that important other then connective tissue.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I have to ask: is Claire meant for great things? I kind of noticed rummages about her in the last few years but I never really looked into it but since the big event has happened...she really didn't seem that important other then connective tissue.

Not really. Claire Temple was never that big of a deal in the comics, but in Daredevil, they reworked her into basically a stand-in for Night Nurse - the love interest from Doctor Strange, whose thing has always just been "the one who helps patch up all these street heroes when they're battered and dying."

It was supposed to be Christine Palmer when they were making Daredevil, but they found out the character was being used for Doctor Strange, so they just used Claire's name but kept her in the same Night Nurse role. Whereas Christine in Doctor Strange only resembles the character in that one scene pulled from The Oath where she's patching Stephen up while his astral projection is talking to her.

I really don't understand the people that liked Matt Murdock in this....he was really annoying AF. Same with Danny. Luke Cage was Luke Cage.

Jessica Jones saved this season from complete mediocrity. Season 2 needs to happen fast.

black_13

Banned
Just finished watching it and it was awful. Characters doing/saying stupid stuff. A whole building collapses and
a whole building is destroyed and it somehow gets covered up?
Dragged on way too long. And they should've kept the side characters out of this show. I think they should've just made movie instead of dragging out a whole season.

Lorcain

I enjoyed it, but not as much as Daredevil seasons 1&2. I haven't watched Iron Fist, and know very little about his character, but he seemed to get his ass kicked by pretty much everyone throughout the entire Defenders season. It got to the point where I would just have to laugh. Meanwhile, Matt would enter the scene and kick the shit out of 12 assassins and fend off the hand's leadership.

I'm not sure if the writers were trying to make Danny seem incompetent and less skilled than everyone else, but that was my takeaway.

I wish Jessica was a more likable character, but that's really on me and my preferences. She did have some good remarks from the audience's perspective throughout the series that made me laugh, like knocking Matt's costume, or complaining about them using hero logic instead of common sense.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I liked it. I liked the story. I just feel like a lot of stuff, in the hands of someone more competent, could have been AWESOME instead of just cool.

Like one thing I'm thinking of, in particular, is a fight scene at the end of the last episode. I don't think this is a spoiler, but immediately after it started up they had a Wu Tang song start. Totally jarring.

Anyways. Good but could have been awesome. Pretty much how I feel after every episode of Flash these days as well lol.

Elandyll

Banned
Just finished the season.

Overall I thought it was 'Good', but could have been a heck of a lot better for various reasons, including some sketchy acting at times, very average dialogues, fluctuating quality in fight choreography andd keeping on the dumbing down of Danny as a character.
The rap/hip hop song that started during the last big fight was so out of place it was downright comical.

On the plus side, seeing all 4 heroes together was great, Sigourney Weaver was (mostly) great and the threat of The Hand on New York needing all 4 to intervene was handled somewhat competently. Liked how friends and family got involved, dragging Jess and Luke kicking and screaming into that big mess.

RIP Stick, great scenes as well.

My current ranking is

DD1> JJ > DD2 1H > LC 1H > Defenders > IF > DD2 2H > LC 2H

I mean, I like Sigourney Weaver and Mike Colter, but I really don't see what everyone is saying is so good about them. The former
does nothing and then dies
, and the latter just isn't that good of an actor. Colter is better this time, though, since he plays next to Finn Jones and Jessica Henwick instead of Mahershala Ali, so at least the gulf between him and the others isn't quite as huge.

I watched it and it's horrible. Weak story. Electra's motivations make no sense and is just awkward.

I think I enjoyed Iron fist more. Very very little to none character development here.

Rymuth

I enjoyed it, but not as much as Daredevil seasons 1&2. I haven't watched Iron Fist, and know very little about his character, but he seemed to get his ass kicked by pretty much everyone throughout the entire Defenders season. It got to the point where I would just have to laugh. Meanwhile, Matt would enter the scene and kick the shit out of 12 assassins and fend off the hand's leadership.

I'm not sure if the writers were trying to make Danny seem incompetent and less skilled than everyone else, but that was my takeaway.

I wish Jessica was a more likable character, but that's really on me and my preferences. She did have some good remarks from the audience's perspective throughout the series that made me laugh, like knocking Matt's costume, or complaining about them using hero logic instead of common sense.

Danny comes from THE most reviled Marvel Netflix series. My take is that the writers have given up trying to make him likeable so instead they gave the audience what they desire - good guys and bad guys calling Iron Fist shit on a constant basis.

Kreed

Finally finished watching this. Definitely not as bad as Iron Fist or the first two episodes of the Inhumans but doesn't compare to Daredevil S1, the first halves of Luke Cage and Daredevil S2, or Jessica Jones.

Like the second half of Daredevil S2 and Iron Fist,
the Hand
continue to just be terrible all around and bring the whole show down as villains (IMO they were worse here than in Daredevil and Iron Fist). Iron Fist was a little better in this show but he's still the weakest character along with Colleen Wing. Sigourney Weaver
was killed too early just like Cottonmouth in Luke Cage.
The end with
Daredevil was just pointless. Just let everyone have a nice wrap up ending/set the stage for the next seasons.
Jessica Jones, Luke, and Daredevil were good although I feel like Jessica needed more motivation for her involvement in this besides her criminal case/her relationship with Luke, and Luke's involvement was flimsy as well.

Luke and Jessica's powers were also all over the place too. Outside of characters from
the Hand using "pressure points" and gas
, it inconsistent for Iron Fist to
barely be able to touch Luke Cage during their first meeting only for Luke to take damage from regular punches and throws in other scenes, or for Elektra to man handle Jessica Jones the way she did in most scenes (let alone Luke Cage).

Are there any Spider-Man references?

Just one
during a fight sequence where they played "Protect Ya Neck".

Top Bottom