• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders |OT| Featuring The Worst Iron Fist - August 18th on Netflix

Blader

The way producers make it sound, there won't be any meaningful cross-pollination between characters outside of a Defenders setting. Extremely disappointing.

Well, if nothing else, scheduling is a pretty big reason as to why. If the next seasons of JJ, Cage, and DD are all coming next year, then Ritter, Colter, and Cox are just going to be too busy filming their own shows to appear in others'.

Grinchy

Banned
The 2nd half of Luke Cage was so insanely bad that I might go back and try watching Jessica Jones again. The first time I tried watching Jones I couldn't get through more than 3 or 4 episodes. But after powering through the second half of Cage, I feel like I can watch anything.

Now that everyone's together, the Jessica Jones character isn't annoying to me at all. Maybe Iron Fist is just so horrible that he raised her up for me. I almost hope he dies or something (I'm 3 episodes in).

Daredevil and Luke Cage are easily the best characters with the best casting choices.

Finished the season today, and i enjoyed it overall. Danny rand i feel is much better in the defenders than in IF. Also, I'm surprised at all the love that colleen gets. I dont think she's that good of an actress.

I still think DD season 1 is the best marvel show on netflix.

I've never gone from so hot to so cold on a series as fast as I did in the last 2 episodes with this. SO many terrible character choices and motivators. I'm looking at you
Matt.
It's like the writers fell asleep for weeks then woke up and realized they needed to finish the show so they threw this hot garbage together.

X post from the mcu thread, very disappointing.

Just finished "The Defenders" and instead of being the equivalent of "Avengers" it puts on its best Thor: The Dark World costume. A middling, half-baked story thats as generic as it comes and feels like it's only made for contractual obligations instead of telling a good story. Coupled with the fact that The Hand and Alexandra make malkieth look half decent by comparison due to how garbage and uninteresting they both are.

The show is only 8 episodes and still finds its way to drag on longer than it should, as per the Netflix/Marvel usual.

The only thing I enjoyed watching this was
Krysten Ritter
Charlie Cox
And the scarce fun character interactions

If you told me Scott buck did this series with the awful editing, terrible writing, and dull fight scenes (mostly cage and JJ) I'd belive you.

Overall 5/10, I believed at one point these Netflix shows would be something great, oh how wrong I was.

shaneo632

Sigourney Weaver actually just unironically said "We're not so different you and I".

Yep, show is really losing me. So dull and flat in almost every area.

I never got around to watching Iron Fist because of all the bad impressions.

Am I supposed to hate this dude? Also, his one glowy hand is dumb as fuck.

Nearing the end of this and I still don't understand the decision to have one dude speaking Japanese while the rest speak English. I guess it's one of many and many attempts to be stylish, but it comes off as super silly. Or go all the way and have each speaking a different language. You have Bakuto and Madame Gao there still speaking English.

Blader

I'm 5 episodes in and liking it for the most part, but am really baffled at all the early review praise for Sigourney Weaver. I mean, she hasn't really done anything at all so far.

This was the least fun Marvel Netflix show by far... The first half felt like it couldn't ind it's footing, second half felt like they just threw everything together without thinking.
Character motivation and behavior was unreasonable and stupid sometimes.

And the action scenes...were the worst this far. Like actually low quality like on the Flash or Arrow... They didn't know what to do with Luke and he always was put aside with some very stupid gimmick. And the camera work was terrible, cut-scenes every half a second. Only good fight scene was
the final fight underground

5/10

Nearing the end of this and I still don't understand the decision to have one dude speaking Japanese while the rest speak English. I guess it's one of many and many attempts to be stylish, but it comes off as super silly. Or go all the way and have each speaking a different language. You have Bakuto and Madame Gao there still speaking English.

Yeah, I thought this was so stupid. Just have everyone speaking their own languages, I mean shit, have Alexandra speaking Latin or some shit. It'd go a long way to making them seem a bit more otherworldly.

They just seem like a gang of nincompoops.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Signourey Weaver speaking in Japanese was a highlight though! lol

Also...the "chinese" guy in the restaurant was another of those cases where they hired an asian looking actor who speaks broken mandarin. He was literally like Finn Jones level. They did this in Arrow too with China White and her Triad gang members...sigh

Signourey Weaver speaking in Japanese was a highlight though! lol

Also...the "chinese" guy in the restaurant was another of those cases where they hired an asian looking actor who speaks broken mandarin. He was literally like Finn Jones level. They did this in Arrow too with China White and her Triad gang members...sigh
Yeah. It's actually so bad, it's distracting.

Please just have them speak English. You're in America.

To be honest, I enjoy how cringe Danny is. He's so stupid.

This is how I felt. It's not like they are trying to write him as some super-cool hero and failing. They are writing him as insufferable on purpose and do a good job of it IMO. Heh.

I don't see the point in comparing him to current comics Danny like so many people do.
I think we will see more of his cheerful goofball aspects later, and some of the scenes in the Chinese restaurant gave a glimpse at it.

Fezan

Was pretty meh.

Loved that the defender of kun lung who is trained all his life gets beaten by everyone in the show.So much stupid decisions in the show.The Hand which were so scary DD2 are so bad in this show. The secret 5th man of the hand is the guy from IF. The whole conversation between Nurse and kaleen.

had to slog thru :(

luke and jessica and claire and madame gao carried

danny rand is horrible but not horrible enough that he's funny/endearing in any ways. he's basically just horrible.

hype for marvel netflix series now at all time low

Series was awful.

They gimped Luke Cage needlessly. He was getting knocked back and tossed about by Elektra and common foot soldiers regularly. Understandably his near-invincibility posses a scaling issue but keep him preoccupied by throwing greater numbers at him; he can only take out a few a time. Or better yet why not give select Hand ninjas swords laced with material that can cut him (like the bullet)?

Jessica should have stayed away from most of the fights and played a more supporting role, using her sleuth skills and investigative prowess more to unravel the Hand's plot. They made her into a one-dimensional tank like the others when her skillset is much deeper than that.

Elektra and Daredevil's final fight
scene was stupid beyond description.

Pacing was shit.

Iron Fist is Iron Fist. I had figured he'd be more tolerable this time around but I was wrong.

Why hasn't the NYPD figured out yet that they're in way over their heads regarding anything that involves the "vigilantes"? The relationship dynamic between the police and the heroes continues to be painfully cringe-worthy: the cops insist they can handle such-and-such new menace on their own when they know they can't or like in every show they keep interrogating the hero(es) for answers under the threat of arrest.

Just an overall corny show.

At first, I was disappointed to learn that the Punisher wasn't in this, now I'm glad he stayed away from this mess.

Show was alright, the finale was worst part really, just one really long boring dragged out fight sequence that felt.... boring, not climactic at all.

And they really just do a poor job at representing the power of these heroes. Random Hand dudes, not even the "leaders" are able to smack around and push back Luke Cage who doesn't flinch at bullets, but staggers when kicked? Jessica and Luke can push cars around but can't knock out normal dudes in one blow. Elektra can get knocked down and winded from a normal person's blow, so one hit from Luke or Jessica should have her out for the count.

Iron Fist is just useless and use of power is never logical.

I had mixed feelings over this. At first I was excited to see the characters team-up, but I didn't find The Hand to be particularly interesting or threatening enemies and I don't know if it was budget reasons or whatever, but almost the whole series sticking to buildings or basements isn't particularly exciting. Fights were a bit messy and not as well-directed as DD, and Weaver felt chronically underused as the boss who never shows any emotion at all. Character moments such as interactions between Jessica & Matt or Luke & Danny were good, but I felt like it needed more time with these characters together and a stronger enemy and plot to drive it forward.

Maybe 6/10, I guess. I also watched Luke Cage for the first time a few weeks ago, and the first half of that was really good, and the second half was really poor. These Netflix shows for me are only as strong as their villains.

Blader

I finished this the other night and enjoyed it more or less, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't fall pretty short of I was hoping from this series:

+Team interactions are all great, and make Danny feel like a decent character when he isn't on his own.

+Charlie Cox as Matt is great as ever.

+Episode 3 fight and a couple others were pretty good.

+I felt like the writers generally struck a good balance between all four Defenders; nobody really got short shrift in terms of screen time.

-Power levels were all over the place, and while it's not something I usually complain about, it happened so frequently and egregiously here that it really detracted from the plot. How are Jessica and Luke, who have no formal training as fighters,
standing their ground with centuries-old ninja masters, who are supposed to be among the most skilled and deadly in the world
? Their own strength, particularly Jessica's, was all over the place, and there was no consistency to how much stronger the Iron Fist made Danny. This is most obvious in the final battle with
The Hand, where Danny fights a bunch of grunts, summons his Iron Fist, and then...proceeds to fight them in exactly the same way, not exhibiting any greater strength or knocking down his opponents any easier than before.

-The dialogue was just bad and sometimes presented conflicts among the team that didn't make any sense. Danny is incredulous when the team sides with the possibility that Stick floats about
the Iron Fist being the key to opening something for the Hand.
"Wait a minute guys, this is insane." Why? Why is that insane? It sounds like a perfectly reasonable idea to me! Or in the final episode, when Luke has this moral dilemma over whether or not
to bomb a completely abandoned building in order to cave in the Hand?
What exactly is the issue here?!

-Speaking of Danny, he really sucks. I know that was the conclusion reached by most who saw Iron Fist, but I skipped that show and found this show's Danny lived up to the negative hype. I'm not sure how much of it can be blamed on Finn Jones, because there are (few) times where he actually is likable, particularly the dinner table convo at the Chinese restaurant in episode 4. But the characterization of Danny as a hotheaded punk prone to random tantrums, a 10-year-old in a 30-year-old's body, needs to be completely rethought before a single word of Iron Fist season 2 is written. He's such an annoying character -- an unlikable personality who can't even balance out that unlikability with competence or success because he's dumb as fuck -- that I cannot imagine wanting to follow this guy for 13 straight hours.

-The villains. By which I mean Alexandra. What exactly was the big deal about Sigourney Weaver's performance? It wasn't bad, but it was kind of one-note and unremarkable? Which I guess wouldn't be a big deal if it were heavily remarked on by a ton of early reviews. She had a couple good scenes but overall didn't make much of an impression. The other Hand leaders were pretty lame, although I did like Murakami if only because he's stylish as fuck. I also like Gao, but that's good will imported from Daredevil and not really anything new brought to the table here (actually, they ended up making her come off really silly).

-Its been about a year and half since DD S2, so I had forgotten how much I hate Karen and Foggy and their selfish anger over Matt daring to help people as Daredevil rather than toil away in an office as a pro bono lawyer. By the end of it, Foggy is redeemed a bit in this regard, but Christ, when is Karen finally going to get on board with the saving people's lives is a good thing bandwagon?

-All the police stuff with Misty is bad. I like Misty, having this one captain hang around all her scenes with constant, minute-by-minute reminders that her career will soar or crash and burn depending on what happens with the Defenders was really annoying.

-Really bad camerawork, like weirdly bad. What is with all the dutch angles? Why are they going shaky cam for not-that-important hallways convos?

Don't mean to sound overly negative about the show, since I did like it more than I didn't overall, and the show's biggest strength is also its core conceit -- the chemistry between the four heroes -- so that's a serious plus. But there's a ton of issues around that core, almost all stemming from obvious and lazy writing flaws, that make The Defenders, while still enjoyable in the long run, definitely not as good as it could have been.

DD S1 > S2 > Defenders > JJ > Luke Cage (have not seen Iron Fist and definitely won't now)

Rymuth

2 episodes in and I'm not feeling it.

Best thing was watching
Danny flail like an idiot before Luke. Didn't they say they were going to make him less of an idiot?

Felt it was pretty meh, with some bad moments sprinkeled throughout. Lots of contrivances too. I felt like they could have done a much better job with the script as a whole.

Vespa

They need to get the fight choreographer from DD S1 back, it's falling back on wobbly cam/quick cuts :/

Enjoyed the show despite it having some issues. 8 episodes was a good call.

faint.

I didn't think it was as awful as many in this thread do. I liked that we finally got information on the Hand, even if we still lack key details. Matt continues to be the best of all the heroes, with Jessica a close second. Luke failed to keep my interest into the later half. Danny is still borderline autistic in his approach to pretty much everything. I get that he was raised by monks and shit but damn if it wasn't for Colleen I wouldn't give two shits about him.

The ending was... something. I actually believed it until Karen's stupid comment. It will be interesting to see how they explain that.

Rymuth

Episode 3 - I take everything I said about Danny back. He's integral to this universe...he makes boring characters like Luke seem charismatic when you put them together.

kurahador

Finished episode 6. Man...this show starts out really promising when the heroes come together, and then they did alot of these "tv budget" thing where nothing really happen and all the interesting stuff were "all talks, no show" courtesy of Scott Buck's Iron Fist. Fuck that shit.

I feel like Agents Of SHIELD season 4 had 100 times the budget than any of these Marvel-Netflix shows.

Man I must be really easy to please because I liked the show a lot. I didn't have any real problems with it and I hated Iron Fist.

I agree with a lot of the complaints people have and I'm not saying they aren't true I guess they don't bother me much. The only one I will argue is the
idea of Luke and Jessica being thrown around by Elektra. It's very very clearly established multiple times that after being resurrected she is much stronger than she was before. She's at least as strong as Jessica if not stronger and has the training to use that strength more efficiently than her or Luke. If anything the only weird part is that Daredevil was able to keep up with her at all in the end.

faint.

idea of Luke and Jessica being thrown around by Elektra. It's very very clearly established multiple times that after being resurrected she is much stronger than she was before. She's at least as strong as Jessica if not stronger and has the training to use that strength more efficiently than her or Luke. If anything the only weird part is that Daredevil was able to keep up with her at all in the end.

I completely agree, but as cliche as this may be, I think it had to do with her being in love with him. I think that was why Matt kept asking why she's kept him alive. Regardless, I guess Jessica makes sense given her size, but Luke made no sense. It seemed like the only character capable of blasting Luke away (besides Elektra) was Gao, and that was only because of her magic Hand powers.

I completely agree, but as cliche as this may be, I think it had to do with her being in love with him. I think that was why Matt kept asking why she's kept him alive. Regardless, I guess Jessica makes sense given her size, but Luke made no sense. It seemed like the only character capable of blasting Luke away (besides Elektra) was Gao, and that was only because of her magic Hand powers.

As far as I could tell, the idea behind Elektra vs. Luke was that she's not quite as strong as him, but her Jessica-level strength combined with her being as good a martial artist as Daredevil meant she could fight circles around him. Fighting Elektra was like fighting DD if he hit as hard as Jessica, which is too much for Luke.

Rymuth

Finished.

This was....flat. Not terrible, not hilariously awful...just flat. Iron Fist truly screwed over the Netflix-MCU because how great would the Defenders have been going after someone like The Kingpin.

Best thing about this series was
the constant shitting on Danny.

About to watch the season finale. It's an OK but overall underwhelming show. What happened to the directing and fight choreography in the Marvel shows? I remember being thrilled by some of Daredevil Season 1's fights, but not a single fight in this show was conceptually interesting or well-executed. No sense of space, no sense of impact, power-levels all over the place, just a rush of confusing shots and fast cuts. This season of Arrow managed to have better set-pieces than this mess.

Kaizer

Banned
I'm two episodes into The Defenders & I've gotta say, I enjoy the "Game Of Thrones" style storytelling of following the different characters down their separate story paths. A common criticism thrown at these Netflix Marvel shows is that they're too long & scenes can be drawn out. Having multiple character POVs to go between makes the show feel more livelier than a lotta of these episodes usually do. Wouldn't mind if they cut back on some of the shows & combined them like this in the future.

Nico_D

It wasn't that bad but very middle of the road compared to DD or JJ seasons or Agents of Shield. Ritter and Cox made it worth to watch. Weaver was underused and the way she was handled was stupid.

I had enough fun watching it tho.

Here's hoping the ending leads to Born Again.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I love how Luke and Matt are the only ones that ever do anything. Jessica is almost completely useless. Its like the writers forgot she has super strength.

CREMSteve

Watching this now, midway through second episode and having trouble not falling asleep. Hell, I'm surfing gaf while watching, that about says it all.

I love how Luke and Matt are the only ones that ever do anything. Jessica is almost completely useless. Its like the writers forgot she has super strength.

She
socks the piss out of Danny when he won't behave and she saves Danny and Luke by holding up an entire elevator with one hand

Top Bottom