• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogWelder

2q8de80.jpg

Thanks brandonh83

Release Date: January 26, 2009
Platform: PC/XBOX 360 (simultaneous release)

Screenshots:
---

Video:
---
Debut teaser trailer - SD HD
Geoff Keighley interview with project director - SD 1 2 HD 1 2
E3 trailer, first gameplay footage - SD HD
E3 4 min combat footage, shows off new HUD and guns - LQ HQ
E3 2 min cutscene, spoilers obviously - LQ HQ
E3 GTTV hands-on preview, gameplay and interview - Link
Dev diary, contains spoilers - SD HD
GC trailer, shows the lawless Omega mining colony - SD HD
GC footage, get a view of Illium, an Asari colony planet - LQ HQ
TGS character reveal, Subject Zero - LQ HQ

What we know (spoilers below):
---
New race, the Drell
Thane is a character in Mass Effect 2. He is a drell assassin, rumored to be the most skilled in the galaxy. Unlike most assassins, who prefer to shoot their targets with a sniper rifle, Thane likes to go up close and kill his target personally.
He is first confronted by Shepard on Illium. Here Thane is on a mission to assassinate Nassana Dantius. He is confirmed to be a squad member.
Save files will be transferable, choices from ME will impact ME2 universe
Anytime we have a plot or a character or situation in Mass Effect 2, we think about what you did, potentially, in the first game that might affect said plot or character or situation in the second. We can look at each variable and dynamically change what happens in the moment. It ranges from small things like, by way of example, Conrad Verner was a fan of Commander Shepard’s that you met in the first game, and it’s like you meet this guy in an alley and you can be nice to him or you can be a jerk to him, and at the time you might have been thinking of it as just a trite role-playing convention, good-guy bad-guy, and that’s that.

Jump forward two years. Now you’re playing Mass Effect 2, and oh my god, who’s this, it’s Conrad Verner! And based on what you’ve done, you realize that while the moment in the first game maybe seemed throwaway, now Conrad’s back and involved in another plot in a game you’re playing two years later…and what you did two years ago is meaningfully affecting what’s happening.

That’s a small example.
No ME1 squad members in your party?
Casey Hudson said:
All the squad members that you pick up are completely new characters. Some of them from races that have never been in your squad before.

It's going to be larger squad, a lot more varied and very, very different kinds of characters. Everyone that you can take with you is a different character from before.
clarified later said:
In some cases, it is possible that squad members from ME1 could end up in your ME2 squad. Again, we're trying to approach this with respect for the characters. Nobody is being clumsily shoehorned in or casually written out. All surviving squad members are at least present as NPCs with important story roles.
Too much info about the end of the game (massive spoilers below)
Casey Hudson said:
When you get to the very end of the story in Mass Effect 2, you will get one of a wide variety of climactic and satisfying endings. Depending on how prepared you were, your ending may involve Shepard making the ultimate sacrifice to accomplish the mission.

Part of what makes the final mission dangerous in a more profound way is that each squad member could potentially die a real, story-based death during that mission as well.
No new game +
After finishing ME2 can I take my character and restart a new playthrough preserving that characters gear and abilities?
Mass Effect lead designer said:
The short answer is no.

The reason is progression. We have been working very hard to make sure we design the abilities system to offer smooth progression into ME3 from ME2. Allowing double progression on characters makes that almost impossible. We have to have reasonable knowledge about where a character could end up finishing all content on a playthrough. We also want to offer choice of character build within specific classes.

We replaced that feature with playing after you were done because it preserves progression and allows for smoother downloading of PRC.
YES new game +
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19020997&postcount=3285

Shorter elevator rides
Ray Muzyka said:
We have a completely new system to handle transitions between areas that speeds the load times and turns the loads themselves into part of the game experience. It's one of many points of feedback we've heard and directly responded to in enhancing the gameplay in Mass Effect 2.

Impressions/previews (minor spoilers):
---
Eurogamer said:
Firstly, squad control should be easier and more accurate, with mappable d-pad actions giving finer control. Secondly, the radial menus have been improved, with ammo types now selectable here rather than from within the fiddly inventory system.

I'm put in charge of a soldier-class Shepard, meaning that Biotic and Tech support options are limited to those of the squad - activated in much the same way as the first game. There aren't any new powers to see at gamescom, but there is new weapon type in addition to the already-confirmed heat-seeking missiles: the heavy pistol. Work that one out for yourselves. More weapon classes have been confirmed, although specifics are still in the realm of speculation.

. . .

BioWare has made clear that this is still an RPG, and all of those elements remain, but it's undeniable that the core experience has shifted toward being more accessible, less dense. Cover is easier to use, and more effective, with a Gears-style touch of the A button snapping Shepard to it. Holding A rushes the Commander out from behind cover and sprints him forward, adding immediacy and poise to storming positions. The new context-specific hit-zones also contribute to this, with enemies no longer flying backwards in a uniform fashion no matter where they're hit, but responding accurately to targeted shots.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/mass-effect-2-hands-on?page=1

IGN said:
With less pauses in the action, Mass Effect 2 plays much more like a straight shooter when playing as the soldier class.

Med packs have been done away with entirely for Mass Effect 2. Rather than having to heal yourself and your party members constantly, an auto-regeneration system has been put into place. Take cover for a few seconds and your health will go back to full.

. . .

Speaking of streamlined controls, the way you deliver commands to your two party members has received a few tweaks that make them more effective allies than ever before. Their commands are still mapped to the d-pad, but now you can direct each individually.

. . .

For Mass Effect 2, you won't be equipping weapons with different types of ammo. Instead, you can get powers that will infuse an entire clip with a boost. It recharges pretty quickly, so it wouldn't be out of the question to infuse your bullets with different types of boosts non-stop.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/991/991756p1.html

Synopsis (minor spoilers):
---
Mass Effect 2 takes place two years after the conclusion of Mass Effect. With the Reaper invasion stopped and Saren and the geth defeated, Commander Shepard learns that entire human colonies are mysteriously vanishing. Teaming up with the human supremacist organization Cerberus in his investigations, Shepard will also journey across the galaxy to recruit "up to a dozen of the galaxy's most dangerous operatives" to face this new threat. Locations include the asari colony world of Illium, and Omega, a space mining station in the Terminus Systems which harbors the worst of galactic society.

Boxart:
---
Regular: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18528834&postcount=1375
Limited Edition: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18534275&postcount=1434

Pre-order bonuses:
---
In North America, pre-order bonuses include special-ops armor and weaponry that are designed to boost Commander Shepard’s skills and abilities. At GameStop, Terminus Gear is available with pre-orders, which includes the powerful Terminus Assault Armor and the M-490 Blackstorm Heavy Weapon:

• The Terminus Armor is designed for use in extreme planetary conditions, increasing run speed and personal shields, and augmenting weapons with an additional magazine of reserve ammo.
  • The M-490 Blackstorm Heavy Weapon generates a high-powered localized gravity well, accelerating particles to near-infinite mass, and ultimately expanding the selection of heavy weapons available to players when they gear up for combat missions in Mass Effect 2.
Players that pre-order Mass Effect 2 at other retail outlets in North America will receive the potent Inferno Armor, which is used by officers to monitor battlefield conditions by recognizing elevated heart rates, and regulates sub-systems with extreme efficiency to allow for greater response times – together these abilities translate in-game into a negotiation bonus for Commander Shepard and an increase in run speed and augmented damage from combat powers.
Pics of the pre-order armor: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18063643&postcount=815

Snowden

Banned
Christ. As if official threads weren't bad enough... I'm looking forward to ME2 quite a lot, but for fuck's sake, does the circle-jerking need to start six months out?

BlueWord

Snowden said:
Christ. As if official threads weren't bad enough... I'm looking forward to ME2 quite a lot, but for fuck's sake, does the circle-jerking need to start six months out?

You underestimate the levels of hype that would be generated, if not contained within the bounds of this thread. It would black out the sun, rot the earth, crush the universe... it would be bad.

DogWelder

Snowden said:
It's just an info and media thread, one place for news and discussion.

Aaron

I wish I hadn't seen as much of this game as I have so I could be hyped for it. Fucking EA showed the game's ending at E3. Hard to get worked up when you know where it ends.

jvalioli

Snowden said:
Making hype threads is the awkward way to get around that 2 week official thread rule. And they're usually really stupid with half the pages having almost nothing to do with the game(see the FFXIII hype thread).

DogWelder

jvalioli said:
Making hype threads is the awkward way to get around that 2 week official thread rule. And they're usually really stupid with half the pages having almost nothing to do with the game(see the FFXIII hype thread).
DuckRacer was taking too long to make a media/info thread. Also, I can't be held responsible for the quality of discussion. =p

So far, we know for a FACT that Tali is coming back, it was confirmed both directly and indirectly on the official forums(and the ton of footage we have seen of her).

Aaron said:
I wish I hadn't seen as much of this game as I have so I could be hyped for it. Fucking EA showed the game's ending at E3. Hard to get worked up when you know where it ends.

What? No they did not. That was most probably the beginning if anything else.

Aaron

lorddarkflare said:
What? No they did not. That was most probably the beginning if anything else.
Well, they mentioned the credits run after that moment, but there's a playable coda depending on the choices you made during the game. Even if it wasn't the ending, it was a gigantic spoiler.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Has anyone read the 2nd novel? I'm forgetting the title right now but I've read the first and loved it. I was wondering how the second one was.

Oh and, HYPE!

commissar

esc said:
Shorter elevator rides
Ray Mazyka said:
We have a completely new system to handle transitions between areas that speeds the load times and turns the loads themselves into part of the game experience. It's one of many points of feedback we've heard and directly responded to in enhancing the gameplay in Mass Effect 2.
A perverse side of me hopes for long corridors.

Althoran

Shorter elevator rides. Wow how ingenious of them.
Strange that other games found better ways of handling loading (Batman comes to mind)

AkuMifune

Banned
I respectfully decline your cordial invitation to get hyped at this current time.

I need to get through the holiday season first, then hyping may commence with reckless abandon. :D

remz

I kind of liked the elevator rides. :(

Anyway, I just now getting hype for this game, been kind of ignoring most media related to it until now, but i've been trying to catch up after recently restarting the first game. I AM HYPE.

Good to hear that Tali's back, and goddamn, the new citadel area looks sick

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
No new game+ is kinda bs, but meh, whatever, this game is still gonna kick all kinds of asses. I can't wait. PC version again for me (since I have no other choice), hopefully the DLCs for the PC version remain free.

dentoomw

I really don't like the new Krogan for some reason :lol Bring back Wrex! :mad:

Other than that I'm all over this like a cheap hooker. Woo!

Lakitu

st5fu
On returning team mates:
Your love interest will return as a squad member, whether it be Kaiden, Ashley or Liara. As for Wrex, confirmed he will no longer return other than a cameo :(.

And that Citadel-like area is actually Illium. An Asari colony planet. We've yet to see any media on the Citadel yet. Great thread though, can't wait :D Just hope they don't focus too much on action rather than story but this is BioWare and it is after all going to be around the same length as the first but with 20% more conversation.

remz

I really don't like the new Krogan for some reason Bring back Wrex! :mad:
I don't think any krogan ever could match the greatness of Wrex.
And that Citadel-like area is actually Illium. An Asari colony planet
Thought the coloring was a little weird for the Citadel

DogWelder

Lakitu said:
On returning team mates:
Your love interest will return as a squad member, whether it be Kaiden, Ashley or Liara. As for Wrex, confirmed he will no longer return other than a cameo :(.

And that Citadel-like area is actually Illium. An Asari colony planet. We've yet to see any media on the Citadel yet. Great thread though, can't wait :D Just hope they don't focus too much on action rather than story but this is BioWare and it is after all going to be around the same length as the first but with 20% more conversation.
Thanks, it's been fixed.

The lack of a New Game+ is very sad. :( I've done 3 playthroughs of the original and I'm only at level 58.

Overall, though, I can't wait for the game. I'm on a media blackout after Garnett said too much on ListenUp a while ago.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
So in theory, someone could CURRENTLY be level 60 with all the top guns and armor, and only the story stuff carries over to ME2?

Lakitu said:
On returning team mates:

Shepard and Ashley + Assault Rifles = Successful conclusion to Mass Effect 2

Rad-

I've been so hyped for this ever since one of the Bioware dudes said the jump from ME to ME2 will be about the same level as it was with BG to BG2.

And ME was already awesome. And the best game this gen.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't know, guys.

I just don't know.

Chinner

Banned
Bioware said in on their forums that the game will follow a different and much more open story structure which will give you bigger sense of freedom. I haven't played KOTOR but supposedly ME follows the same kind of structure, and this was because of time restraints.
Rez said:
I just don't know, guys.

I just don't know.
Hype threads are dumb as shit but then again Mass Effect 2 is probably going to be GOTG, so it's cool.

Kyoufu

No NG+ is so heart-breaking. I played Mass Effect numerous times because of how well implemented the NG+ was. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Chinner said:
Hype threads are dumb as shit but then again Mass Effect 2 is probably going to be GOTG, so it's cool.
I made the extremely bad choice that was playing through the first ME as an Adept. It has kind of scarred me. I don't know if I'm ready to love again yet.

itxaka

Defeatist
Lakitu said:
On returning team mates:

fuck that shit. Wrex was the best character on the first one period. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

I'll get it day one thougth.

ajim

Finished the first one today after 40 hours of gameplay. Those 40 hours just blew by, didn't even realise I invested that much time into it. So good.

Bring on ME2! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom