• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Arjen

Guys, I really need to play Mass Effect 2 DLC to get my guy to level 30 and for the fact that I've heard good things about the Lair of the Shadow Broker.

I'm overseas right now and I only have Disc 1 of e game with my. I do have my saves on the console. Is that good enough to download and play the DLC or do I need Disc 2 of the game as well?

The problem here is I can only get PAL versions of the game and my console and LIVE account are North American. I'm guessing the DLC's are region locked.

Thanks.

I think Illium is on Disc 2, where you need to go to start the mission.

Arjen

Yeah another member mentioned it in the other thread. Any other DLC that I could access from disc 1?

I'm pretty sure the rest of the DLC will be playable that way.
Kasumi starts on the Citadel which is on disc 1
Zaeed starts on Omega which is in disc 1
Overlord and arrival can be accesed in the galaxy map right away.

/edit.
I have a North American account as wel, i can buy and play DLC just fine with my PAL console.

I'm pretty sure the rest of the DLC will be playable that way.
Kasumi starts on the Citadel which is on disc 1
Zaeed starts on Omega which is in disc 1
Overlord and arrival can be accesed in the galaxy map right away.

/edit.
I have a North American account as wel, i can buy and play DLC just fine with my PAL console.

As far as I know consoles don't matter except for the region codes. However I think the DLC is tied to the region of the disc. So I have an American account with which I can't access DLC on a PAL disc even though you paid for it.

I might be wrong but I think that is what I understand about DLC is region locked.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Couple questions...

How long is the Shadow Broker thing?

How much of the game is left after you go through the relay on the suicide mission?

I don't like this game. Have posted at length as to why. But for some reason unknown to me, I feel compelled to play ME3, which means I should probably finish ME2. I'd deleted it some time ago after becoming incredibly bored with it. But yesterday I redownloaded it, and apparently I'm right at the end. Full loyalty on all squad members, pretty much all upgrades, all ship upgrades, all missions done (save a few side missions on unexplored planets, though not many). I'm lvl 25 and have just SB and Suicide mission. But the game is still boring me to death lol.

So, how much time is left of this?

Can I just play ME3? And still have my character?

Risgroo

Couple questions...

How long is the Shadow Broker thing?

How much of the game is left after you go through the relay on the suicide mission?

I don't like this game. Have posted at length as to why. But for some reason unknown to me, I feel compelled to play ME3, which means I should probably finish ME2. I'd deleted it some time ago after becoming incredibly bored with it. But yesterday I redownloaded it, and apparently I'm right at the end. Full loyalty on all squad members, pretty much all upgrades, all ship upgrades, all missions done (save a few side missions on unexplored planets, though not many). I'm lvl 25 and have just SB and Suicide mission. But the game is still boring me to death lol.

So, how much time is left of this?

Can I just play ME3? And still have my character?

You're at the very end, so if you've made it this far, you should hold on for another 45-60 minutes :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I really love the aesthetics and the (non dialog) cutscenes in this game(s)... ME1 I thought was fucking awesome all the way 'round, but ME2 just bores me to goddamn tears. And the friendly AI is so incredibly retarded that they may as well not even have commands for them, since they rarely obey for more than a few seconds, or at all.

But I can stomach an hour or so to at least see the conclusion. I am curious about it. Despite forgetting most of what's happened in the months since playing.

Too many characters in the game. This imo is one of the biggest "story" flaws. Just too many damn characters. Instead of an interesting core group that gets fleshed out, we get a bunch of superfluous filler... subtraction by addition.

I heard Shadow Broker was good DLC... that it was different. If it's just a bunch of more hallways and boring combat I would skip it entirely, but I'm curious since folks have described it as something different than the norm... the only thing that has kept me from playing it is that I very much dislike that Liara character. I wish I could've put her out the airlock in ME1, but unfortunately Bioware seems dead set on forcing the character into the mix.

Slermy

I recommend the Shadow Broker DLC to most people, but in your instance, I'd say you're probably better off skipping it.

Quick

Banned
When I was playing ME2, I had the extra squad members' DLC on the disc. So, Kasumi and Zaeed. I recruited them early on, since they weren't hard to miss anyway. I noticed that events in the game kicked into motion when I had a certain amount of squad members (doesn't matter who) - is this normal, or should I recruit Zaeed and Kasumi later on?

Not sure if I'm making any sense. :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I recommend the Shadow Broker DLC to most people, but in your instance, I'd say you're probably better off skipping it.

Nah, let him play it so we can hear him bitch about Liara when she's one of the better squad members in Mass Effect.

It doesn't matter when you recruit them since they're not really needed. They do add some exposition on some missions, so getting them early for that is nice, but not needed.

Massa

After all the hype I read here I thought the Shadow Broker DLC was a little flat. I guess it's something you really enjoy if you played Mass Effect 1 and like the Liara character.

Overloard on the other hand... amazing piece of content.

Nearly done with ME3 & thinking of replaying this game again.

I played through it twice already & beat it on Insanity. I originally thought it was boring, hated how the armor/weapon loadouts were changed, thought it was overly linear & everything was small & compact in comparison to ME1.

Now after playing ME3, I think this game had an insane quality of diverse missions (with better set-pieces), better dialog, towns, variety & quests out of any game this gen!

Nothing like an inferior sequel to make the older game look good.

Have you changed any info on your EA/Bioware login? Have you maybe changed any of your xbox account info?

You might need to go try logging in at the EA/Bioware site and agree to new terms/conditions or something.

Massa

So I just beat the game for the second time. Was pretty excited to jump into Mass Effect 3 with my new Shepard..

Then I played the final piece of ME2 I had to go through, The Arrival. It kind of killed my boner.

Is there a mod of some sort that will let me play ME2 with a controller on PC?

I believe you have to use Xpadder. There are custom made profiles for ME2 out there.

malfcn

When I am cruising around in systems, sometimes I get the buzz sound like I hit something. The placement is the same, but nothing is there. Bug

Also: If I used the unlimited points in ME2 (pre-patch) and leveled up everything will it effect my import?

LOL, I am literally 1 point away from 29.

Slermy

The last two times I have booted this on my X360 it says I have to restart because of a sign-in changed. Eh?

This happened to me a few times as well when I was finishing up some stuff for ME 2 before ME 3 hit. Exiting the game and starting it back up would usually fix it.

cnizzle06

Banned
As mentioned in another thread. I was very deep into the game on my PS3, over 40 hours in, when my power went out and subsequently corrupted my save file. Is there any means of fixing it? I'm pretty damn upset.

As mentioned in another thread. I was very deep into the game on my PS3, over 40 hours in, when my power went out and subsequently corrupted my save file. Is there any means of fixing it? I'm pretty damn upset.
I really, really doubt it. There might be someone out there that could say otherwise, but I think you're out of luck on that one.

Zen

Banned
Overlord was boring until the very end. The last bit is the good part.

On a first play through, I agree, but in replaying it I'd rate it along side Shadow Broker, if not ahead depending on your attachment to Liara (She in my LI, and the final moments with the Shadow Broker rival the ending of ME2 in terms of badass). It has amazing music and is just a very well crafted adventure story. The problem with it is, it works better when you know the entire story, it didn't do an awesome job of hooking you with the initial progression or give you enough to anticipate the monstrous nature of the reveal, all of that gets jammed into the climax.

I'm really sorry dude. I thine your best bet is to power through the game again to get back to where you were. I know it sucks, I've had to replay ME1 three times for one reason or another, and ME2 twice. The good news is that ME2 is really easy to push through andjust kind of turn your brain off to, until you get back to where you were.

E: Aside from resource/planet scanning, holy shit.

Or you could get the PC version and edit your save to Max out your money resources and talent points, that might help, but I don't know your situation with having a decent PC, and you won't be able to transfer your save back to PS3.

cnizzle06

Banned
Yeah, this undoubtedly sucks. I'm gonna use this opportunity to go back through as a bitchy adept femshep. Everyone will face the subsequent wrath caused by the loss of my save file. All shall suffer.

Melchiah

On a side note, I've been irritated recently by a Finnish TV channel using Heart of Courage from the OST on daily basis to promote an upcoming hockey match, as I've always loathed sports and hate the fact they're attaching ME2's music to it. Especially, as now when I hear the song, it's beginning to remind me of fucking hockey.

I wish this kind recycling of music would end, as it gets tiresome to hear the tunes re-used in different contexts over and over again, eg. Requiem for a Dream & Inception themes.

On a side note, I've been irritated recently by a Finnish TV channel using Heart of Courage from the OST on daily basis to promote an upcoming hockey match, as I've always loathed sports and hate the fact they're attaching ME2's music to it. Especially, as now when I hear the song, it's beginning to remind me of fucking hockey.

I wish this kind recycling of music would end, as it gets tiresome to hear the tunes re-used in different contexts over and over again, eg. Requiem for a Dream & Inception themes.
Actually, Melchiah, it's made by a production group.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Steps_From_Hell

ME2 just made it well known to people like us, apparently. I was really angry when it wasn't included in the OST for ME2, but I found out why afterwards... : (

You can buy it separately on amazon/itunes though, I believe. I got it off amazon.

Dries

Sooo.. Thinking about doing an ME2 renegade run to refresh myself on the story and character before beginning ME3. Some questions:

I want to play it on PC, which version is the best to get? The Steam version seems the obvious choice.

How much can the PC version be tweaked (graphics)? I have a more than decent rig, so I want to use it.

I have a completed ME1 save on my 360. I want to continue that character. Can I somehow use that save with the PC version?

Yuripaw

Banned
This may be premature to report on, because I still have a few minor DLC achievements to get, but I just finally got the achievement for beating this game on insanity ^_^ Early on I didn't think I could do, especially during the collector ship part with the platforms, but wow I actually did it!

Insanity is only difficult early on because you don't have any upgrades and some of the classes aren't balanced to deal with multiple layers of shielding that early. By the first disc swap, it's a piece of cake.

-viper-

Banned
So I played the 'Arrival' DLC mission.

I have a question. Spoiler alert:

Is there anyway to save the Batarians? Does the DLC force you to destroy the Mass Relay? When I played it, I can't remember even if I had a choice in the matter.

I have to say though, Arrival was a superb DLC.

Sai

So I played the 'Arrival' DLC mission.

I have a question. Spoiler alert:

Is there anyway to save the Batarians? Does the DLC force you to destroy the Mass Relay? When I played it, I can't remember even if I had a choice in the matter.
No... You are given the option to attempt warning them(probably would've been useless anyways, given the limited time available), but Kenson interrupts the transmission before you can do so.

I have to say though, Arrival was a superb DLC.
... Whatever you say, man.

-viper-

Banned
No... You are given the option to attempt warning them(probably would've been useless anyways, given the limited time available), but Kenson interrupts the transmission before you can do so.

... Whatever you say, man.
:p

The story was a bit shit, but I liked the action. So it seems like you have no choice in the matter.

Reece

"A bit shit" is being generous. I played that to get ready for ME3 and it almost made me cancel my pre-order.

Seriously? I played it and literally forgot all about the whole story until they mentioned it in 3 and had an
"oh yeah, I did kill a shitload of Batarians, didn't I?"
moment. Forgettable, but I never actively thought it was terrible. Care to elaborate why,
even after BABY REAPER
, Arrival was so terrible storywise?

Sai

Only things that really bothered me about The Arrival were the lack of choices and shallow consequences. I was expecting more of that from it since it was supposed to be a bridge to ME3. It amounted to like
three or four lines of extra dialogue, and one meaningless assignment.

On the flipside, I had fun fighting through it;
the five waves of enemies next to the Reaper artifact was intense
. And the set pieces were really nice, especially
that view of the Alpha Relay towards the end.

Reece

Only things that really bothered me about The Arrival were the lack of choices and shallow consequences. I was expecting more of that from it since it was supposed to be a bridge to ME3. It amounted to like
three or four lines of extra dialogue, and one meaningless assignment.

The way I see it is that they had to get everybody to the same place for the start of ME3 and make the Reaper invasion feel more real. Arrival did that for me, I mean
the Reapers were literally minutes away from fucking your shit up

As for choice... well the only choice that would make sense in that context is to allow you to choose
whether or not you want to actually destroy the relay
. If they gave you that choice then everyone would be at a different place for the start of ME3 depending on what they chose to do. Plus that choice is a no brainer anyway, would anyone really say "Nah fuck it I'll take my chances and see if nothing happens"?

Plus (entire series spoiler):
NONE OF YOUR CHOICES REALLY MATTERED IN THE END ANYWAY.

I'm still bitter.

rozay

Banned
The way I see it is that they had to get everybody to the same place for the start of ME3 and make the Reaper invasion feel more real. Arrival did that for me, I mean
the Reapers were literally minutes away from fucking your shit up

As for choice... well the only choice that would make sense in that context is to allow you to choose
whether or not you want to actually destroy the relay
. If they gave you that choice then everyone would be at a different place for the start of ME3 depending on what they chose to do. Plus that choice is a no brainer anyway, would anyone really say "Nah fuck it I'll take my chances and see if nothing happens"?

Plus (entire series spoiler):
NONE OF YOUR CHOICES REALLY MATTERED IN THE END ANYWAY.

I'm still bitter.
if you don't play arrival on your ME2 import save or start a new game in ME3, the codex tells you a team of N7 soldiers completed the events of Arrival. don't ask me why shepard is still on Earth for a trial at the beginning of the game.

also the last bit of your post wasn't relevant when the DLC came out, and honestly it's not surprising that the dialogue and choices in ME3 were just as shallow as the DLC when they had the same producer.

Reece

if you don't play arrival on your ME2 import save or start a new game in ME3, the codex tells you a team of N7 soldiers completed the events of Arrival. don't ask me why shepard is still on Earth for a trial at the beginning of the game.

Yeah that makes sense because you never played Arrival so the soldiers completed the mission (aka you have no choice because you didn't play). My point is that if you did choose to play Arrival and if they gave you that choice
(not to hulk smash the relay)
then Shepard would never have made it back to earth. Hell Shepard would be dead most likely.

My biggest gripe with Arrival now that I think about it in more detail is why Shepard was knocked out for two days and not a single person from your crew shows up to save your ass. Sure you can go to the ass end of the galaxy for all these people but Shepard is missing for two days while on a simple extraction mission? Nah to much trouble. To top it all off the Normandy must have known where he was because it showed up pretty damn fast when he needed it.

As for why Shepard is back on Earth even if s/he didn't take part in Arrival? Well Shepard isn't the brightest bulb so s/he turned him/herself in for working with Cerberus (a terrorist organization)? I dunno man the best I've got for that one is because Bioware.

also the last bit of your post wasn't relevant when the DLC came out, and honestly it's not surprising that the dialogue and choices in ME3 were just as shallow as the DLC when they had the same producer.

Well that part was more of a joke than anything. Thanks for the insight on the producer change I never noticed that.

-viper-

Banned
So I am currently playing Mass Effect 3 but I am wondering what difficulty I should play the game at? I am currently at the beginning of the game. Haven't died yet in combat. But does it get harder or should I switch from normal to hardcore?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So I am currently playing Mass Effect 3 but I am wondering what difficulty I should play the game at? I am currently at the beginning of the game. Haven't died yet in combat. But does it get harder or should I switch from normal to hardcore?

You would be better asking this in the official ME3 thread, but yeah, i would suggest going to hardcore, the game is too easy in normal, you have to be pretty terrible to die with this difficulty. Hardcore is just the right difficulty.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just discovered that trick to greatly reduce loading times on PC. I wish i knew about it before my multiple past playthroughs... loadings are only 2-3 seconds now instead of 20. Feels good man.

If you wish to improve your load times, go to the BioGame/Movies folder under the MassEffect2 installation path. Then find "load_f01" and rename it to "load_f01-bak". From there, download the replacement "load_f01" in the link below and move it into your Movies folder. The game will now load as soon as all the information needed for play is streamed.

I have also compiled replacement load screens for all existing ones. Please remember to back up your original load_fxx files if there is a need to restore them.

Download - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=02234898862666212613&gk=transfer

I just discovered that trick to greatly reduce loading times on PC. I wish i knew about it before my multiple past playthroughs... loadings are only 2-3 seconds now instead of 20. Feels good man.
What do all of the other replacement loading screens look like?

Hope somebody can answer this:

I bought a health + 10% upgrade (damage protection) from one of the citadel stores. However, the upgrade isn't showing up in shepard's terminal. Where is it? Thanks.

Top Bottom