• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
m02rgzj.png

The original and superior Mass Effect 2 |OT| lovingly created by Skilotonn. Images for this |OT2| shamelessly stolen and edited from his work of art.
|OT2| created for the new PlayStation 3 audience, and to close the endlessly growing original. Mass Effect 2 discussion, regardless of platform, to take place here.
Please tag all spoilers appropriately. The game might be a year old for many, but a new platform brings new gamers. Be considerate with your posting.
Untagged spoiler discussion for the story and such can be found here.
m1vmi7.png

earlybmui.png

s07mcb.png

s1zmba.png

s2smgh.png

g0suk4.png

g1t6tm.png

g2i55q.png

g3h66y.png

g4yuao.png

g5yns8.png

m02y1u.png

m1794z.png

m2jy2n.png

m3bzmz.png

m47yd0.png

m58y54.png

m61bom.png

c0iy6p.png

c1u64s.png

c2ruo2.png

c3v5nk.png

c4x6xb.png

c5fnmd.png

c6b640.png

c7tuno.png

n0bzw9.png

n6cuc2.png

n1ilyq.png

n2n93l.png

n33yzf.png

n4my6i.png

n5glja.png

e0sekx.png

e5id6i.png

e1kec2.png

e27g9k.png

e3dfgd.png

e4vf8h.png

m07arx.png

r0l6z2.png

u0pzuu.png

u1qa3l.png

u2db7r.png

u31z3t.png

Nice thread. Looking forward to the PS3 game this week. Read the first book which I enjoyed but was kind of put off reading the 2nd one as it seems to be ? set after the first game... which I know nought about.

Plasma

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:
Nice thread. Looking forward to the PS3 game this week. Read the first book which I enjoyed but was kind of put off reading the 2nd one as it seems to be ? set after the first game... which I know nought about.

None of the books really go into that much detail on the storyline of the games they're self contained stories.

It has been awhile since I've read the second book but it does have some stuff in it about Cerberus which is nice to know before going into the second game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
A new beginning?!!??! Nah!

And if the demo was an old build, I'm interested to see how the final product looks. Unfortunately this will not be a day 1 due to having DCU and LBP2 on my plate. Hopefully a couple of months down the line it will be 40-ish. And also the year is so stacked that there's at least 1 good/great release a month for PS3. It's crazy. This month is fantastic for PS3 SW.

I saw the comic and it does an ok job of quickly covering the most important parts of the original but it's pretty shallow. I think that those who are looking for any depth and absolutely have no possible way of playing the first game, should read up on the Mass Effect wiki or maybe watch a video walk through.

Also, nice thread!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I already own this on PC, but I really like the ability to quickly set all the decisions I made in ME1. Plus, I have yet to buy the DLC for the PC version. Methinks I may pick this up for 7.1 joy, trophies, and the DLC.

scarybore

Felix Lighter said:
I saw the comic and it does an ok job of quickly covering the most important parts of the original but it's pretty shallow. I think that those who are looking for any depth and absolutely have no possible way of playing the first game, should read up on the Mass Effect wiki or maybe watch a video walk through.

Agreed, read through this page on the wiki and then play the comic to make your choices. Not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

EatChildren, maybe put a link to the spoilerific story discussion thread for when people are finished with the game?

Patryn

If I may bring only one issue into this thread from the old one (and I apologize for doing so, as I didn't get a chance to craft a proper reply before we moved to this one), it's this (regarding Cerberus):

Not once, not ONCE did the game ever justify why my paragon sole survivor Shepard was working with Cerberus. More than anything else, that one fact completely broke the realism of the world for me. Mass Effect 1 painted Cerberus as an organization that was nearly as evil as the Reapers, and the Shepard I was playing as would have never, in a million years, ever work for them. Hell, she pledged to a former squad mate that she would do everything in her power to bring them down.

Then she works for them. To me, it's a fundamental flaw of the entire series, and one of my largest problems with ME2. It becomes even more egregious when she sees the other stuff they do. And don't give me that they have that one asari brings all that stuff up. Hanging a lampshade on it doesn't make it suddenly alright.

Arjen

Great OP, well done!
Looking forward to reading the reactions of the PS3 crowd, hope we will get some more Mass Effect lovers here.

Patryn

Deathcraze said:
Agreed, read through this page on the wiki and then play the comic to make your choices. Not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

EatChildren, maybe put a link to the spoilerific story discussion thread for when people are finished with the game?

If you do link to the story discussion thread, you may want to warn people about the bitterness they will find inside. If someone really loved the game, they may not want to deal with page after page of people picking it apart (and I say this as one of the active participants in the bitterness).

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
To me, the gameplay of ME2 is so far ahead of ME1 that I find it very difficult to play ME1 again after playing ME2. Again, this makes the PS3 version very enticing to us that have played ME1 and don't want to play through it again.

englishbob

Neo Member
So how much is this costing on PSN then? $/£ - not seen it listed anywhere, appears everyones obsessed with how big the data is (its 12GB btw!)

Arjen

DenogginizerOS said:
To me, the gameplay of ME2 is so far ahead of ME1 that I find it very difficult to play ME1 again after playing ME2. Again, this makes the PS3 version very enticing to us that have played ME1 and don't want to play through it again.

I agree, the gameplay is so clunky in ME1, very hard to go back

Patryn said:
If I may bring only one issue into this thread from the old one (and I apologize for doing so, as I didn't get a chance to craft a proper reply before we moved to this one), it's this (regarding Cerberus):

Not once, not ONCE did the game ever justify why my paragon sole survivor Shepard was working with Cerberus. More than anything else, that one fact completely broke the realism of the world for me. Mass Effect 1 painted Cerberus as an organization that was nearly as evil as the Reapers, and the Shepard I was playing as would have never, in a million years, ever work for them. Hell, she pledged to a former squad mate that she would do everything in her power to bring them down.

Then she works for them. To me, it's a fundamental flaw of the entire series, and one of my largest problems with ME2. It becomes even more egregious when she sees the other stuff they do. And don't give me that they have that one asari brings all that stuff up. Hanging a lampshade on it doesn't make it suddenly alright.

If it doesn't seem plausible to you, I don't think I can convince you otherwise but for me...
my first playthrough was a paragon sole survivor who also pledged to take down Cerberus. I justify it this way personally, ever opportunity I had, I chose the dialog option that explained that Shepard is not working for Cerberus, I just need their resources to investigate the Reaper\Collector threat. When Shepard reaches the Citadel it becomes clear that the council and the alliance will not provide you the support you need to complete the mission. If Shepard refuses Cerberus's help, more colonies will fall, more people will be abducted and more lives will be lost. The Reapers\Collectors are an immediate threat and if Shepard can't set his/her issues with Cerberus aside, at least for this mission, the entire galaxy could be lost.
If you can't see your Shepard doing that then I can see it being a real problem for you.

luiztfc

So, a question about DLC.

I have the steam version of ME2, with cerberus network. Do I get any DLC because of it? Or should I have to buy them all separately?

Thanks!

kadotsu

Banned
Finished the game yesterday on PC (MaleShep) went all paragon but the final decision. Some thoughts:
The first set of missions (Start-Horizon) is the weakest part of the game it feels completely removed from ME1 and even a paragon Shepard feels way too dudebro. After Horizon the games comes together really well, the characters are getting better, you get alot of callbacks to ME1 and Shepard begins to act more reasonable.
The major DLC packs have higher quality missions than the main game, especially Overlord. Shadowbrocker is nice for EU and Liara. Kasumi is great but the combat drags a little towards the end. Firewalker is a good iteration on the Mako and I hope planet exploration will substitute mining in ME3.
The final decision feels kind of limited. Why couldn't I
keep the station and give it to the Alliance
. I'm still OK with it because I like the Illusive Man character and want him to play a stronger (hopefully antagonistic) role in ME3 but your stance on Cerberus did flipflop too much from ME1 to ME2 imo.
The characters and story range from better than anything in ME1 (Mordin/Legion/EDI) to OHMYGODWHYWOULDYOUDOTHAT (Jack/Vorcha/
Reaper Larva
).

The only thing that really bugged me in this otherwise excellent game is the PC UI. No shortcuts (J for Journal, U for Squad etc.), no double click selection and no way to seperate use and sprint. I hope they integrate at least some of ME1's PC UI back in for ME3.

luiztfc said:
So, a question about DLC.

I have the steam version of ME2, with cerberus network. Do I get any DLC because of it? Or should I have to buy them all separately?

Thanks!

You need a social.bioware.com account and redeem your Cerberus Keys (Steam right click show CD Key) a better tutorial is at http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1123138.

jcm

If anyone else is teetering on the edge of the buy/wait decision like I was, you may be pushed to order knowing Amazon has a $20 pre-order promo credit. It works out to $36.99 shipped after the credit.

jcm said:
If anyone else is teetering on the edge of the buy/wait decision like I was, you may be pushed to order knowing Amazon has a $20 pre-order promo credit. It works out to $36.99 shipped after the credit.

for me it meant EA left $20 on the table! was gonna order anyway and noticed the credit.

Leatherface

Just wanted to say to those still on the fence, ME2 is a majestic piece of gaming awesome. I just beat it a week ago on PC, and I loved every second (just don't feel like you have to scan every planet to depletion for minerals LOL).

Buy it. Play it. Hug it. You will be happy you did. :)

DSmalls84

Yeah I'm going to pick up the Ps3 version from Amazon. I never bought any of the dlc for the 360 version, and I hated having to switch disc. So this makes the double dip a little easier.

so when I played the PS3 demo, I noticed that in the first room with a bunch of pictures on the walls (the room has the first wallsafe to hack) they were grey instead of color like xbox 360 version. Did anyone else notice this or other differences to the 360 one? Its weird because other than that, seemed to be a fantastic conversion so was this some kind of technical issue or a style choice?

entremet

Great OT! Enjoy the 2010 GOTY, PS3 gamers. I'll be following this thread as well since I'm doing my Insanity run currently.

Haunted

Zaeed Massani has gotta be the best character From Mass Effect 2
*high five* I liked him as well.

Not the most interesting back story or anything, but I liked him. Reflecting on the characters, major props for Bioware for creating so many interesting ones in the same game. They're truly the most important thing about this game.

Also, the best part of the PC version was how it let you skip the awful awful scanning minigame.

Came to see EatChildren's goods, and I dont leave dissapointed.
Excellent thread!

Are we, PC and 360 people invated to the party, or we continue in the other thread?

Suzzopher

Well, I forgot to cancel my pre-order for this. I ended up buying all the DLC on 360 over Christmas so wasn't going to bother with the PS3 version, but I just got my dispatch email. Whoops.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Came to see EatChildren's goods, and I dont leave dissapointed.
Excellent thread!

Are we, PC and 360 people invated to the party, or we continue in the other thread?
No, the other thread was nearing 20k posts and threads get closed around that point now because it puts strain on the servers. Everyone who wants to discuss ME2 posts in here now and the other one will be locked.

IoCaster

MattyH said:
Zaeed Massani has gotta be the best character From Mass Effect 2

If he is that's a damning indictment of the writers.
I would leave him on Omega if his defense score bonus wasn't so useful on the 'hold the line' segment.
I can certainly understand why he didn't make the cut and got relegated to DLC status.

Top Bottom