• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Massa said:
Would love to play it now but it's hard to justify buying it right away.

me2.jpg

I never understood this attitude on GAF.

If you have a 360, then yes, by all means, buy it there (or on PC).

Otherwise? The fact that it came out a year ago doesn't change the fact that it's a wonderful game, and that you will potentially (depending on your tastes) enjoy better than most other 60 bucks game you can be buying right now.

Would you buy a lesser game because this one came out a year ago and/or is cheaper on other platforms?

On the other hand - I will give you that it might drop price rapidly.
It doesn't degrade the quality of the game, but no one is paying full price for last year's model of the Honda Accord or some other car even if it is a quality car.

This is a bad comparison - since technological devices improve with time. Media is a completely different story, which is why people still pay full price for releases of star wars on dvd or blu-ray or anything like that. Your argument would only make sense if there was a newer mass effect on the market, which was strictly better than this for the same price.

shwimpy

Gamefly shipped my copy today. Thinking about keeping it for $40... sounds about the right price I would pay for it right now.

lucius

The thing about the Uncharted dlc it is pretty much all multiplayer content which doesn't interest me really, if it was new single player levels I be all over it like the Mass effect dlc.

So solider and vanguard seem to be the easiest what is after that?

jling84 said:
It doesn't degrade the quality of the game, but no one is paying full price for last year's model of the Honda Accord or some other car even if it is a quality car.

Thats a really bad analogy. Cars degrade over time due to mileage, weathering, and a new model being released with extra features, rebates etc.

But since you brought it up... Last years car lacks bluetooth, and keyless start (DLC), but you can add them aftermarket for a price. This years model comes with bluetooth and keyless start stock (The DLC included in the PS3 version), so you won't need to buy it later as well as being the new model with upgraded interior and exterior accents (New Graphics Engine).

Mindlog

lucius said:
The thing about the Uncharted dlc it is pretty much all multiplayer content which doesn't interest me really, if it was new single player levels I be all over it like the Mass effect dlc.

What difficulty level do you intend to play on?

Vanguard is awesome, but it is not easy. Sentinel is easy. Tech armor stun and flexible enough to strip shields or barriers.

Lothars

jling84 said:
Also, at the time this released, Uncharted 2 was not retailing for $19.99. Also the DLC content was worth more than $24 (which is what the ME2 DLC totals). $20 + $24 should not equal $59.99.

Look, there's really no point in arguing this, and I'll stop derailing the thread. I just wanted to opine that I feel it's a rip off. If people in this thread feel otherwise of course that's perfectly fine.

what's your throughts of ME2 on the PS3 using ME3 engine as well? doesn't that help the benefit as well?

seat

Perhaps the price tag is a bit steep considering the other platform releases, but Mass Effect 2 is a must-play for all gamers. After a price drop, there will be no excuse for PS3-only owners not to have played this.

Arjen

lucius said:

Sentinel is the safest way to go, Infiltrator is pretty powerfull to
Vanguard is not easy on higher difficulty's, especially if you're a newcomer.

Jomjom

Banned
PsychoJecht said:
Thats a really bad analogy. Cars degrade over time due to mileage, weathering, and a new model being released with extra features, rebates etc.

But since you brought it up... Last years car lacks bluetooth, and keyless start (DLC), but you can add them aftermarket for a price. This years model comes with bluetooth and keyless start stock (The DLC included in the PS3 version), so you won't need to buy it later as well as being the new model with upgraded interior and exterior accents (New Graphics Engine).

Except I was talking about a new car. A new car kept in a vacuum sealed room with 0 miles, but is last years model still would not sell for the same price as it originally retailed for.

The main problem here with your add-on analogy is that I can add on all of the DLC on the base ME2 on 360 and it's still less than $60. The only thing that's not available is the motion comic, which to me, is not worth the $15 difference.

Lothars said:
what's your throughts of ME2 on the PS3 using ME3 engine as well? doesn't that help the benefit as well?

From reviews so far, this is not an unqualified benefit.

harriet the spy said:
This is a bad comparison - since technological devices improve with time. Media is a completely different story, which is why people still pay full price for releases of star wars on dvd or blu-ray or anything like that. Your argument would only make sense if there was a newer mass effect on the market, which was strictly better than this for the same price.

I'll admit, the car comparison is not a great one. However, neither is yours. With most media actually, a year out, the price is usually much less than the original MSRP at release. There is a huge number of Blu-Rays that are now 9.99 or 14.99, but a year ago or even less than a year ago, they were released at 24.99 or 29.99.

Even the Star Wars DVD trilogies are cheaper now than they were when they were released. Some Star Wars DVDs are still full price because of collectible reasons. Unless you are arguing that ME2 will somehow have some sort of collectible value, this is not a fitting comparison at all. Off the top of my head, Disney media is one sort that tends to keep its price, but even those usually drop after a year. If not, it is usually because they go out of print and are put back into the Disney vault. ME2 is not something that falls into this category either.

ShinAmano

harriet the spy said:
Otherwise? The fact that it came out a year ago doesn't change the fact that it's a wonderful game, and that you will potentially (depending on your tastes) enjoy better than most other 60 bucks game you can be buying right now.
True...I picked it up for $10 and love it...currently on my third play though and only need to grab the Paramour achievement to get 100%.

Emitan

jling84 said:
Except I was talking about a new car. A new car kept in a vacuum sealed room with 0 miles, but is last years model still would not sell for the same price as it originally retailed for.
The issue here is that if you only game on a PS3 (or at least don't have an Xbox 360 or gaming PC) this is the first time this product is available to you. A car is a car. If I own a Toyota I can make my next car a Ford. But if I only owned a PS3, I wouldn't be able to play Mass Effect 2. The game is only a year old, was (at least on 360) a graphical marvel, and was on almost everyone's top 10 lists for game of the year. If you didn't have the opportunity to play it because of your gaming platform of choice, it's worth $60 now. If you already own a 360 or PC and haven't bought it yet the PS3 version is probably not the best deal for you, but for PS3 owners this is a great deal.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Excellent job on the OT2 man, and I appreciate the recognition!

Hope the new players enjoy one of the greatest new IP's of all time, and find a way to play the original somehow someway first before playing ME2 - it'll just feel so much better and give you MUCH more of an attachment to your Shepard and crew mates that way.

And the statement I just made is a repeat of the rant I made in the PS3 announcement thread, which for some reason a handful of people misunderstood.

Can't wait till I fly back to my place at the end of the month, I feel like making a run through Mass Effect 2 again including the DLC, since I didn't have time to do so for the last few months.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Skilotonn said:
and find a way to play the original somehow someway first before playing ME2 - it'll just feel so much better and give you MUCH more of an attachment to your Shepard and crew mates that way.

Yeah, this is something I agree with. It's not a question of quality, but experience. I enjoyed the shit out of ME2, but a considerable portion of that enjoyment came from already understanding the game's universe, being reunited with older characters, references to past events, and being able to visit locations mentioned in the first game but never explored.

Experiencing ME1 wasn't just playing the game, it was learning about the game's universe through characters and codex entries. You weren't just fighting the Geth, you were learning about the origin and being.

I think not going into ME2 with that kind of background would make for a worse experience, but that's just me. Its going to be interesting to see how new gamers feel about ME2 if they haven't already played the first.

I do think its worth digging up a copy of ME1 on PC, if you can, or at the very least reading/listening the shit out of your in-game codex, as well hitting up the Mass Effect wiki for a summary of the first game's events.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Does anyone know if Bioware has plans to release the choose your own adventure comic that is available on PS3 for the PC version?

Mr. Sam

Does the PS3 re-release make Mass Effect 2 eligible for Game of the Year 2011? 'Cos I'm thinking we could go for two in a row.

Lothars

DenogginizerOS said:
Does anyone know if Bioware has plans to release the choose your own adventure comic that is available on PS3 for the PC version?

They have said something to this affect, so I would be shocked if they don't

kai3345

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
why not just download a save off the internet that includes Feros, and side mission decisions?

masterkajo

DenogginizerOS said:
According to the Mass Effect Wiki it will be though no date has been given yet, AFAIK. Could be tomorrow or in 5 weeks.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Great thread, EatChildren. No write up for [REDACTED], though? He got snubbed.

I'm happy to see the ME series hitting the Playstation.

I kind of want this for my PS3, just because, but I'll probably wait until it's for the cheap since I've already played it. I'd like to watch a youtube of this interactive comic book, though.

Neki

Snuggler said:
Great thread, EatChildren. No write up for
Garrus
, though? He got snubbed.

I kind of want this for my PS3, just because, but I'll probably wait until it's for the cheap since I've already played it. I'd like to watch a youtube of this interactive comic book, though.

He didn't want to spoil the fact that he is
returning you fool.

kai3345

Banned
Snuggler said:
Great thread, EatChildren. No write up for
Garrus
, though? He got snubbed.

lol already a spoiler

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ultimoo said:
He didn't want to spoil the fact that he is
returning you fool.

Oh, that's a spoiler? Wouldn't the PS3 only players (not really a spoiler)
not even know the significance of a returning character if they haven't already played ME1?

Takuan

Will get the superior (superiest?) PC version whenever it goes on sale again. There is very little reason to pay full price for this game unless you've been dying to play it on the Triple. But it's great that they didn't half-ass the port, and besides the price, there isn't much else you could fault the game with.

masterkajo

Apparently, the installation is only 4.5GB. So perhaps the 5.3GB is after you download all Cerberus network files and free DLC?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's possible that the game's programming still reads all the bundled DLC as 'DLC', and requires them to be installed to the HDD before the game will actually access them. That alone is nearly 4GB of content, for Kasumi, Overlord, and Shadow Broker.

Edgeward

K.Jack said:
Adept is no longer God-Tier crowd control, because of enemy protections. You need a specialized party, for Adept to be worthwhile.

Made me sad.

Despite this, it's still the most fun class to play. Adepts do it better, kids.
As long as you're not going on insanity D=

Wallach

firehawk12 said:
Oh boo, so that press release was wrong?

I don't remember what the PR said, honestly. But yeah what is included is already available DLC and the interactive character setup comic.

EatChildren

firehawk12 said:
Oh boo, so that press release was wrong?

No press release ever said there was any exclusive PS3 content (digital comic aside).

Billychu said:
Wow, I couldn't see any of the images in the OP at work. Fantastic job on that!

Not sure why then. The image host I picked was one that everybody should see.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wallach said:
I don't remember what the PR said, honestly. But yeah what is included is already available DLC and the interactive character setup comic.

Ah:

UPDATE: The official press release for the PS3 edition includes the line: "The PlayStation 3 edition will include the full Mass Effect 2 game and hours of bonus content." We've asked an EA spokesperson for clarification about whether that refers to new gameplay sequences or what.

I guess I just assumed the "bonus content" would be exclusive to the PS3 version.

kai3345

Banned
Bought ME2 on Steam ( god im such a BioWhore) playing through the game for my 4th time now.

I really, REALLY hope Aria becomes a major player in ME3

Duderz

Banned
Aria & Anderson joining your team would be pretty awesome for Mass Effect 3.

Is the New Game+ in this game similar to ME1 where if you start over, you can't change your character class? I was really hoping to try something new for my replay (I played as a Soldier the first time through).

Coxswain

Duderz said:
Is the New Game+ in this game similar to ME1 where if you start over, you can't change your character class? I was really hoping to try something new for my replay (I played as a Soldier the first time through).
Yes, but New Game+ makes the game harder and not easier, so you're better off starting a new game anyway if you want to replay it.

kai3345

Banned
Duderz said:
Aria & Anderson joining your team would be pretty awesome for Mass Effect 3.

Idk about Anderson hes an old man lol

But yeah, I'm hoping that some of the big characters, who are still very major characters, but not squadmates, get promoted to squaddie status in ME3

like Aria, EDE, lol maybe even Joker.

He gets some mech suit or something

Duderz

Banned
Coxswain said:
Yes, but New Game+ makes the game harder and not easier, so you're better off starting a new game anyway if you want to replay it.

Interesting! I didn't know that. I gotta find ways then to keep my Paragon score as high as I can so I can keep
Zaeed loyal to me, as he was the only one who died at the end.

Wallach

Duderz said:
Interesting! I didn't know that. I gotta find ways then to keep my Paragon score as high as I can so I can keep
Zaeed loyal to me, as he was the only one who died at the end.

The reason it is considered harder is because enemies scale according to your level. In a NG+ run you will be facing high level enemies immediately, but you don't get to keep any upgrades from your previous run, which actually accounts for a lot of your character strength.

Top Bottom