• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

The comic must be downloaded for PS3 owners too? I thought that extra Blu-ray space would come in handy for storing that thing. That just seems sloppy.

Shinjitsu

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
I'm sorry but it is a big deal. Every other company gets it right. I mean they have been fucking this up as long as I can remember. Seriously, I had the same issue with The Saboteur, which was the first game they did this with.

I understand why they have the codes, but have the DLC up for those who get it day one or even midnight.

I can't even get the game because it's not up on PSN yet. I'm not freaking out about it.

Sorry that it's bothering you so much though man.

Shinjitsu said:
I can't even get the game because it's not up on PSN yet. I'm not freaking out about it.

Sorry that it's bothering you so much though man.

you haven't paid $60 for a game you can't play as advertised..

I bought it last night at midnight from Walmart and I can't play until sony fixes the codes today..

The whole reason I bought this version instead of just playing one of my existing versions is due to the interactive comic and included DLC..

protonion

Just got my euro copy. The code works but the cerberus pack is almost 700 mb and it's going really slow. Anyway,I loved the demo and I 'm really excited to finally play the game!!!

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Welcome to the galaxy, newbies. You're in a for a treat!

LumpOfCole said:
The comic must be downloaded for PS3 owners too? I thought that extra Blu-ray space would come in handy for storing that thing. That just seems sloppy.
Project ten dollars at work.

Ellis Kim

Banned
So over the holiday break, I finally borrowed a friend's 360 and beat Mass Effect 1. I jumped into the ME2 and was pretty shocked that it was the opening of 2. Having taken photos of my ME1 character, I went and tried to recreate her in ME2's PS3 demo. I like that they have face codes.

Here's one variant of her on ME1 (its the one I prefer, and originally made, only to find out that DD 360 games can be played on a Live account that didn't purchase the game far too late), and my attempt on ME2 (which would be the third time going at it from scratch, as the second one is the one that's tied to my Live profile).

From this:
VdEhI.jpg

to this:
zp0qT.jpg

I'm rather quite proud of her :D Though after seeing the ME2 preview trailer thing on PSN, with male Shepherd removing Tali's mask, I am almost tempted to go and play ME2 w/ a male character :x

(This was done in the demo, I don't have the game yet :I)

-viper-

Banned
So, if I get the PS3 version, I get ALL that stuff mentioned in the OP for free including the Blood Dragon Armor?

Sounds pretty sweet, but it's hard to justify paying full price. Maybe I'll pick it up when it hits the bargain bin.

OK Weird question for you guys with PS3 version.

The first room you get to in the first "level" that has a wall safe to hack - has a bunch of images in the room
of shepherd's recovery eg skeleton arm & neuroscans, it also has a message from wilson about how much money the project costs
which are all in color on xbox 360 but in the ps3 demo were all grey for me. Can anyone confirm? Its really weird, because are there a bunch of places "downgraded" like this or was it a style choice? Apart from this, the ps3 demo showed the game ran really well for everything else so seemed really odd. By itself not a big deal, but are there more places like this?

englishbob

Neo Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-masseffect2-face-off

"From a technical perspective, if it is running the Mass Effect 3 engine as the developer suggests, players are not getting any tangible advantages over what has already been released on the Xbox 360. BioWare's heavily modified Unreal Engine 3 probably did require a substantial overhaul to accommodate the Sony platform for the multi-format Mass Effect 3, so it would have made sense to use that work for the ME2 conversion rather than simply port over the existing 360 code. However, this does not manifest in a better game as the marketing seems to be suggesting. "

"Between the consoles, the gap narrows. Technologically it still feels like the Xbox 360 version has the edge, but occasionally lower frame-rates and mostly unnoticeable graphical compromises on PS3 are not going to have much impact on the fun you have playing this game. Scored today, this would still be a 10/10 game on both platforms."

AlStrong said:
And this is a huge problem with the PS3's built-in wifi? It just sounds like you're complaining for the hell of it. Besides, how did you think you were going to access all the downloadable content anyway? :s

I have no problem DL'ing the content, I have a problem with the codes not working day one for every game that has these DLC cards included.

lucius

englishbob said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-masseffect2-face-off

"From a technical perspective, if it is running the Mass Effect 3 engine as the developer suggests, players are not getting any tangible advantages over what has already been released on the Xbox 360. BioWare's heavily modified Unreal Engine 3 probably did require a substantial overhaul to accommodate the Sony platform for the multi-format Mass Effect 3, so it would have made sense to use that work for the ME2 conversion rather than simply port over the existing 360 code. However, this does not manifest in a better game as the marketing seems to be suggesting. "

"Between the consoles, the gap narrows. Technologically it still feels like the Xbox 360 version has the edge, but occasionally lower frame-rates and mostly unnoticeable graphical compromises on PS3 are not going to have much impact on the fun you have playing this game. Scored today, this would still be a 10/10 game on both platforms."

A bit weird a couple other reviews on metacritic say ps3 is the best version and not because of just the DLC or comic.

Ellis Kim

Banned
lucius said:
A bit weird a couple other reviews on metacritic say ps3 is the best version and not because of just the DLC or comic.
My guess is that those reviewers are just enjoying the different look/lighting of the PS3 version running on the new engine. It also doesn't hurt that it supports LPCM surround sound, yet I doubt that actually helped the reviews in any way, but eh.

Jonsoncao

Banned
lucius said:

Go watching the framerate comparison during combat on eurogamer, constantly framerate dropping up to 15-20fps, many reviewers on metacritic being ignorant is not some kind of news I guess

Jonsoncao said:
Go watching the framerate comparison during combat on eurogamer, constantly framerate dropping up to 15-20fps, many reviewers on metacritic being ignorant is not some kind of news I guess

If you ignore the graphical upgrades yeah...

Shinjitsu

Banned
Jonsoncao said:

The frame drops don't seem all that bad considering the nice lighting overhaul the game got from the engine upgrade.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Equus Bellator Apex said:
Does anyone know when psn will update?

Unfortunately, they can't deliver at a set time, but it tends to update anywhere between 5:00 to 7:00 PM, eastern time.

It seems the only thing published on PSN so far is ME2 related stuff. I guess they will publish the rest later tonight, I didn't see anything else new.

There is a full game trial for Plus members. I didn't know they were going to do that. Not going to bother I'm going to pick the game up shortly. I want a disc if it's going to cost the same, sheesh.

wow, Amazon said they weren't doing release day shipping for ME2 PS3 so I got 1 day shipping and they said it wouldn't be here until the 20th, the UPS guy just showed up with ME2. lol sweet!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
In case anyone is curious. The game DL is 12 gigs... the C.Network pack is 676 MB.

AlStrong

Ellis Kim said:
I'm rather quite proud of her :D Though after seeing the ME2 preview trailer thing on PSN, with male Shepherd removing Tali's mask, I am almost tempted to go and play ME2 w/ a male character :x

(This was done in the demo, I don't have the game yet :I)

Nice, she looks great. :)

Definitely give the Male shep a run for the Tali romance (or youtube it?). It's pretty well done.

snap0212

AlStrong said:
And this is a huge problem with the PS3's built-in wifi? It just sounds like you're complaining for the hell of it.
It's not about the WiFi, it's about the fact that there's no reason why this content has to be downloaded. I'm sure you have a great internet connection with no limit (or a huge d/l cap), but others have very slow internet and download caps. Downloading more than 600MB takes me about two hours. I know your internet is probably faster, but the majority of people on this planet don't have access to high speed internet.

AlStrong said:
Besides, how did you think you were going to access all the downloadable content anyway? :s
Why does it even have to be downloadable?

a) There is not one single reason why the content could not be on the disc. It was ready when the discs were printed and the fact that you get all the Xbox 360 DLC on day 1 was one of the reasons why EA decided to charge full price for this game. The fact that it's not on the disc and not available to every customer who pays full price for this game is stupid and bad for the consumer. A lot of people simply don't connect their consoles to the internet. Why shouldn't they be able to access all the content they've paid for?

b) You have to download content that is clearly part of the main game. Bioware made the interactive comic to ensure that people know what's going on before they play Mass Effect 2, not to make sure people keep their copy of ME2 after they've played the main story line. So now I should put in the code and wait for at least two hours until I can play the content I've already paid for? And what about those who can't access the internet at all? They're just out of luck?

TheYanger

Metalmurphy said:

Did you watch the videos or look at the screens, or even read the article? It looked largely the same, SOMETIMES better, mostly worse (Opinion). The lighting was VERY different. PS3 version looked like they added spotlights on everyone's face any time it goes into a close up, while the 360 version has deep shadows almost all the time. I prefer the shadows.

AmericanNinja said:
wow, Amazon said they weren't doing release day shipping for ME2 PS3 so I got 1 day shipping and they said it wouldn't be here until the 20th, the UPS guy just showed up with ME2. lol sweet!

I ordered mine with 2 day shipping. This morning it said I would get it on the 21st. Now it's been shipped and stats I should get it tomorrow.

CyberChulo said:
How much is it on the PSN Store? Is it like $10 cheaper?
Nope, it's the same price. Just checked right now.

Anyway, I caved into buying it. Thanks a lot you jerks and your hypnotic suggestions.

TheYanger said:
Did you watch the videos or look at the screens, or even read the article? It looked largely the same, SOMETIMES better, mostly worse (Opinion). The lighting was VERY different. PS3 version looked like they added spotlights on everyone's face any time it goes into a close up, while the 360 version has deep shadows almost all the time. I prefer the shadows.

I watched the comparison. The biggest issues I have with the lighting in ME 2 (PC and Xbox 360) was the overly harsh shadows, especially the self shadowing, in certain spots. In that video, that issue seemed to exist in both version but in different locations. Sometimes the lighting looked better on the PS3 and sometimes it looked worse. All and all, the lighting was definitely different but it didn't always seem better, at least from that short sample.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
It seems the only thing published on PSN so far is ME2 related stuff. I guess they will publish the rest later tonight, I didn't see anything else new.

There is a full game trial for Plus members. I didn't know they were going to do that. Not going to bother I'm going to pick the game up shortly. I want a disc if it's going to cost the same, sheesh.

Okay, this is unexpected. Both ebgames/gamestop locations near me are already sold out. God damned EB said they only got like 8 copies.

AlStrong

Felix Lighter said:
All and all, the lighting was definitely different but it didn't always seem better, at least from that short sample.

It's pretty much hit or miss throughout. The worst of it is when their detail normal maps come out flat looking or even a bit smudged.

There were a couple minor things that weren't directly mentioned in the comparison (IIRC) including some lighting omissions on the bottom of the shuttle or the lower poly wrist cuff during Jack's awakening. It seems a pretty odd couple "downgrades" considering how much screentime is involved. Minor things in the grand scheme.

Cornbread78

I can't wait to play through this one, probably won;t be until later in teh year though, since KZ3 comes out in just over a month.

protonion said:
Umm, where the hell is the comic? I installed the pack but it's nowhere to be found!

This, and is there a way to access it from the menu? Is there a way to access the Cerberus Network on the main menu?

protonion

Actually it starts after the intro gameplay and right before character creation. Just finished it.

It was quite detailed (never played ME1) and had about 5 choices to make.

kai3345

Banned
So I know this is a mostly PS3 focused thread, but I just bought this on PC, which was supposed to include all of the cerberus stuff and I just got to Omega and Zaeed isnt there.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kai3345 said:
So I know this is a mostly PS3 focused thread, but I just bought this on PC, which was supposed to include all of the cerberus stuff and I just got to Omega and Zaeed isnt there.
Register the Cerberus CD on Biowares website.

Mastperf

Metalmurphy said:
The graphical upgrades are more a matter of taste rather than technology. There's not much "upgraded" according to DigitalFoundry.

Top Bottom