• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (2) PC gets real controller support; Fundraiser for ME/3 up [£575]

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Thrown some money into this one. Why am I only the 6th person to donate, come on GAF!

Hopefully the thread's title will get updated with "... INDIEGOGO Fundraiser for ME/ME3 [£575]" soon. Also many people still have to get their paychecks, myself included (hopefully by the 28th)

pahamrick

I can't afford to swing some money towards it right now, so thanks to everyone who does.

I'd really enjoy a new trilogy run on PC using a controller.

beeswax

According to the IndiGoGo help pages, Paypal is supported as a payment method but the campaign starter chooses whether it's an option for contributors or not. If our man has elected not to allow Paypal, then that's a silly move as he'll be limiting his contributors massively.

Is there anyone who is in contact with him who can find out why Paypal wasn't enabled for his campaign?

edit: I've pinged him directly through IGG asking him about the lack of Paypal as a payment option, will post back if he replies.

According to the IndiGoGo help pages, Paypal is supported as a payment method but the campaign starter chooses whether it's an option for contributors or not. If our man has elected not to allow Paypal, then that's a silly move as he'll be limiting his contributors massively.

Is there anyone who is in contact with him who can find out why Paypal wasn't enabled for his campaign?

edit: I've pinged him directly through IGG asking him about the lack of Paypal as a payment option, will post back if he replies.

I will message him at the forum he frequents.

Sorry for the bump.

Moonshine updated me on the PayPal situation but he seemed really grateful in his post also so I'd figured I'd let him say his part.

moonshine said:
I deliberately left it disabled, because I've had negative experiences with Paypal. I'll think about enabling the option, it's just that I'd rather not have the extra stress of them freezing the account, and me never being able to retrieve the funds. Personally, I find Paypal more effort than it's worth, but like I said, I will think about enabling the option.

I also feel the need to say, well done. I don't know if you realise, but thanks to people like you and Valleyevs, official controller support for the remaster is almost a certainty now. There's no way that Bioware haven't noticed (if they hadn't before) the demand for controller support. So that's great. Of course, I still plan to mod controller support into the current iterations of the franchise as soon as possible.

Thank again for the support. It actually makes me feel bad that I can't do anything in return right now, especially after receiving over £100 in donations so far. It's kind of a lot. :(

Buzzbrad

Sorry for the bump.

Moonshine updated me on the PayPal situation but he seemed really grateful in his post also so I'd figured I'd let him say his part.

Damn too bad no paypal support, I would much prefer to use paypal when donating to this. Hopefully he allows it.

jediyoshi

I don't know if you realise, but thanks to people like you and Valleyevs, official controller support for the remaster is almost a certainty now. There's no way that Bioware haven't noticed (if they hadn't before) the demand for controller support. So that's great.

I haven't followed, what's changed?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Been waiting for this for a while. I love it when the community comes through on things that the devs didn't (for whatever reasons they may be).

bigace33

This is absolutely amazing. It works just like a charm. This guy may have saved me from playing the horrible PS3 version of the trilogy if he can get me a working ME1 and ME3 controller set up. The XB1 controller works perfect with this.

Dash Kappei

Even if a remaster was to come soon, people are delusional if they expect to get a trilogy remaster for $60... and then all the DLC. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.
If we're lucky I can see them sell GOTY Remasters for $50 a pop, staggered releases of the 3 games leading up to ME4.

So yeah, I honestly prefer to play the games right now, with the controller mod and the awesome texture packs made by the community.

Btw, £400 to go, cool :)

martino

And how does this change what Dictator said? No one is saying that You get good with pad, hell You can get good with any device, like a guy that finished Dark Souls with a guitar, but it doesnt change the fact that controller is not suited as aiming device in games.

No you can be that categoric.
Being absolute , it is not the most suited but in my experience it is more than enough for all the aiming game i played last ten years and it give you other capabilities over k/m
in the end you must analyse this in context depending of game/gaming condition.

Even if a remaster was to come soon, people are delusional if they expect to get a trilogy remaster for $60... and then all the DLC. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.
If we're lucky I can see them sell GOTY Remasters for $50 a pop, staggered releases of the 3 games leading up to ME4.

What? That will never, ever happen. It will be a Master Chief Collection scenario and it will retail for $60 for the trilogy. That's practically a guarantee unless they don't plan on actually selling any copies of the games.

Thanks to everyone who has donated so far. I'm going to rework the OP later today so it's not as messy and promotes the indiegogo campaign a bit better, explains the PayPal situation.

Dash Kappei

What? That will never, ever happen. It will be a Master Chief Collection scenario and it will retail for $60 for the trilogy. That's practically a guarantee unless they don't plan on actually selling any copies of the games.

Tell me ONE remaster we got of GEN7 stuff where you got that many games for $60.

Anth0ny

eh, the Mass Effect Trilogy was readily available for $20 or less over the course of last gen. It's only $30 on Amazon right now for consoles.

I wouldn't be surprised if they released all three, remastered on PS4/Xbone for $60 during the lead up to the new Mass Effect. I can't see them selling one, or even two for $60. It's an all or nothing thing.

Lime

Bioware should pay this guy with their millions of dollars, not the consumers who are already strapped for cash.

Dash Kappei

Halo 3/Halo 4/Combat Evolved Anniversary (and ODST if you count it)

I meant besides that master fuck up, it was already mentioned in the post I've quoted ^_^
Btw, nit that it matters but ODST will only be free for early adopters of the collection.

DmC
Tomb Raider
TLOU
GOW3
Wind Waker
Saints Row 4
Metro redux
DMC4
Injustice
Sleeping Dogs
FFX-X2 HD
FF Type 0
Borderlands Handsome Collection
Dark Souls 2
GTA V
Tearaway Unfolded

Vs.

Master Chief Collection

Also, (honest question) but isn't the only remastered game of the collection Halo 2 in a new Anniversary skin and a few maps from CE? Aren't CE Anniversary, Halo 3 and 4 straight ports at 1080p/60 with the 99% of the same old assets?
Still, if not for the fuck ups it would've been the best collection ever... but I'm disgressing.

Will see, I'd happily eat crow and I'm up for an avatar bet, I really don't see them selling the games and all dlc for just $60, unless they won't remaster shit but just port the pc version on console at 1080p/60 but even then I'm skeptical to say the least

Gojeran

This mod is absolutely amazing. I've never played any mass effect with a controller and after a few minutes I was able to finish 2 missions on insanity with almost no issues. Only things I found of note were as somebody mentioned there is no dead zone at all. This causes unintended movement all the time. 2nd occasionally holding A would not make me run and I'd have to re press and hold several times... Other times it worked perfectly. That's it, it's so amazingly good. I can stream it or take a video or 2 if you people are interested in seeing the mod in action.

Bizzquik

This mod is absolutely amazing. I've never played any mass effect with a controller and after a few minutes I was able to finish 2 missions on insanity with almost no issues. Only things I found of note were as somebody mentioned there is no dead zone at all. This causes unintended movement all the time. 2nd occasionally holding A would not make me run and I'd have to re press and hold several times... Other times it worked perfectly. That's it, it's so amazingly good. I can stream it or take a video or 2 if you people are interested in seeing the mod in action.

Thanks for the report. Its important to know if this is a quality endeavor or not.

I hope others give to his Laptop fund. He's looking for £370 more.

That's 74 contributions of £5 ... or 37 contributions of £10.

Dash Kappei

Thanks for the report. Its important to know if this is a quality endeavor or not.

I hope others give to his Laptop fund. He's looking for £370 more.

That's 74 contributions of £5 ... or 37 contributions of £10.

I'd say it needs 30 more contributors.
I'll chip in £15 asap.

I like the idea of funding the chance this talented dude might work on some other (controller or not) mods in the future, or anything he wants to do really

I'd say it needs 30 more contributors.
I'll chip in £15 asap.

I like the idea of funding the chance this talented dude might work on some other (controller or not) mods in the future, or anything he wants to do really

I dont think the goal will be reached but it gets him all that closers anyway.

If he opened paypal support it might be a different story but that is his prerogative.

jgwhiteus

Backed this one too (and I don't usually back things) - I just replayed the trilogy on PC and it'd be cool to try it again with a controller, and I always appreciate the hard work and contributions of modders.
EDIT: funnily enough, I only remembered this thread because of the "how do you play with kb/m from your couch" thread - I'd really like to play ME on my TV at some point, but using KB/M for that sounds a bit awkward.

Now if someone would just fix the size of the subtitles and power menu on ME3 (for some reason ME2 scaled the sizes properly on a 1080p screen, but they completely forgot how to do it for ME3's PC release... can't even imagine what it's like trying to play that game on higher resolutions).

dEvAnGeL

i will donate next Wednesday when i get paid, i just tried this and is like playing the game on console, incredible incredible job, man i forgot how amazing that intro to mass effect 2 was, we need to help this person get a new computer so we can get gamepad support on all 3 games, im so happy right now is hard to put in to words lol

QFT. It's ridiculous that one random dude has to add in controller support successfully when Bioware can't seem to be bothered.
I dont known if it's about being bothered. They apparently didn't have time. I don't know if that means they didn't have time to implement and bug test this or they just actually couldn't be bothered. Either way it's kind of shirty especially after me1 or me2 when they knew people really wanted it.

Still we are getting to the goal and this guys work is legit.

Much better than nothing.

I tested this out last night finally and I've got to say it works flawlessly. Amazing stuff. The control could do with a little deadzone adding but it's perfect really my control is just a little worn.

I dont known if it's about being bothered. They apparently didn't have time. I don't know if that means they didn't have time to implement and bug test this or they just actually couldn't be bothered. Either way it's kind of shirty especially after me1 or me2 when they knew people really wanted it.

Still we are getting to the goal and this guys work is legit.

Much better than nothing.

Time didn't have much to do with it. Their reasoning is "we gave PC players an UI and HUD specially for them, they don't need it".

Time didn't have much to do with it. Their reasoning is "we gave PC players an UI and HUD specially for them, they don't need it".
There is quotes out there saying they couldn't do it because apparently they didn't have time.

So apparently they don't have any real reason.

Mivey

There is quotes out there saying they couldn't do it because apparently they didn't have time.

So apparently they don't have any real reason.
For the first game? Fine. For 2 and 3 that never holds. The UI was already implemented, only touched on to add things here and there and some visual upgrade, but the basics were tested and just worked. If a guy can mod this, that is, recreate it from the assets of the XBOX version, imagine how easy this could be if you are actually working with the engine.

I'm guessing who ever came up with the "no time" line, has pretty much no idea as to what constitutes a technically difficult problem. A writer or producer mabe.

For the first game? Fine. For 2 and 3 that never holds. The UI was already implemented, only touched on to add things here and there and some visual upgrade, but the basics were tested and just worked. If a guy can mod this, that is, recreate it from the assets of the XBOX version, imagine how easy this could be if you are actually working with the engine.

I'm guessing who ever came up with the "no time" line, has pretty much no idea as to what constitutes a technically difficult problem. A writer or producer mabe.

Here is the response when asked about ME3

Mivey

Here is the response when asked about ME3
That's a not an explanation.
Sure, doing it 2 hours before the game is golden, that's expensive and near impossible.
Planning for it from day one: Costs you less then an hour in additional time over the whole project life time.

That's generally the rule for software development, it's easy to change things around early, but harder to do later as the complexities pile on. So BioWare obviously never ever gave it a thought. Or they are incredibly incompetent in all things PC. Or both I guess.

Ratrat

This is amazing. I used xpadder for Mass Effect 3 but it would be awesome to play the games without that hassle.
But no PayPal option? fuck, I really hope this gets funded.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I meant besides that master fuck up, it was already mentioned in the post I've quoted ^_^
Btw, nit that it matters but ODST will only be free for early adopters of the collection.

DmC
Tomb Raider
TLOU
GOW3
Wind Waker
Saints Row 4
Metro redux
DMC4
Injustice
Sleeping Dogs
FFX-X2 HD
FF Type 0
Borderlands Handsome Collection
Dark Souls 2
GTA V
Tearaway Unfolded

Vs.

Master Chief Collection

Also, (honest question) but isn't the only remastered game of the collection Halo 2 in a new Anniversary skin and a few maps from CE? Aren't CE Anniversary, Halo 3 and 4 straight ports at 1080p/60 with the 99% of the same old assets?
Still, if not for the fuck ups it would've been the best collection ever... but I'm disgressing.

Will see, I'd happily eat crow and I'm up for an avatar bet, I really don't see them selling the games and all dlc for just $60, unless they won't remaster shit but just port the pc version on console at 1080p/60 but even then I'm skeptical to say the least

Good lord your argument is poor. Out of all those games you listed, most of them don't have a trilogy for them to release and none of them provide an example of them selling multiple remastered games in a series for $50 a pop. Most of those were GotY versions of games from last gen.

The Mass Effect trilogy will sell for $60 when it gets rereleased.

Top Bottom