• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

JambiBum

Everyone was giving her shit, too, about being a girl.

At the end, she goes "you were saying?".

It was perfect.

Those moments are my favorite. ME3 might not be some super deep multiplayer but if it leads to moments like that then that's all that matters to me.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone beaten a gold round yet?

I played a couple hours with 2 friends and we've gotten high enough that bronze is a breeze so we tossed it up to Gold for our last round of the night. We only managed to make it part way through round 4. We could take just about everything it was throwing at us, but those Phantoms would just rip right through our squad.

Been working my Soldier up. He's level 14 so far. I've gotten half a dozen character class cards, but they've all been for classes that I already had unlocked by default so all I've gotten from them is some experience. Picked up a Viper in my recruit pack, a mattock in my latest veteran pack and various weapon mods. Sniper rifle gets extra ammo and bonus damage while assault rifle gets decreased recoil.

kurahador

so apparently through that facebook thing, you have to recruit 5 friends and all of them must finish ME3 demo to get an extra dlc.
fml

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, I am just beasting with the Infiltrator right now. Level 12 in no time, and I was lucky to unlock the Viper (probably best sniper in the game) on my first Veteran pack, because it's keeping on top of everyone with kills along with maxed out Tactical Cloak w/ 40% sniper damage on, and sticky grenades are so good too - almost maxed out, and even Phantoms are almost dead with almost no health when they have full health & barriers from one stick alone.

Not to mention the countless amount of times I've saved the day by going invisible to kill off enemies, or clutch revives in the middle of a crowd. Love it.

squidyj

Ohhh man, finally got the semi-auto sniper rifle and with my upgrades it's strong enough to one-shot regular dudes with a headshot, i'm tearing it up now.

the matchmaking on the other hand is completely unacceptable.

exYle

Idk how I feel about singularity though, doesn't affect half of the enemies around due to shields and barrier. How does detonating it work?
Singularity is amazing. First off, biotic explosions are triggered when two biotics are combined on the same target. You can do them yourself, BUT, there is a caveat. The first biotic attack has to have a lasting effect (Warp, Singularity, Stasis, Reave, Pull) because it needs to last until the second biotic attack hits it. The second biotic attack can be just about anything (EXCEPT for the same attack, you can't do the same move twice in a row) - I think I saw a biotic explosion come from a pull and a charge.
Which leads me back to my point. Singularity is awesome. The majority of troopers have no shields, so I set 'em up with a singularity, then either warp or shockwave (depending on the range). Which shielded enemies, I usually drop a singularity at them, which stuns them, then I unload with my SMG until their shield gives in. They're usually still stuck in the singularity's range, so they caught in it. Then, BOOM, warp for the biotic explosion. Most satisfying kill ever.

Anyways, I just bought a veteran pack and FINALLY got a new race. Quarian Engineer. Not exactly what I wanted, but it's a step in the right direction.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Multiplayer is stupid amounts of fun. They actually did it. Now, let me play as a Geth infiltrator and we've got ourselves a stew going.

I'll go through this thread later tonight and add posted details to the list.

Stantron

I wonder if we'll be able to reassign power upgrades in the final game. I like experimenting with different combinations. I want to be able to do it often too. Not by using a large amount of credits for a one time change like ME2 sp either.

Also, revive and cover should not be the same button.

Lyonaz

Played some multiplayer on the PS3. Love the female Infiltrator.

Guess I will pick this one up soonish rather than later.

Dmax3901

It is actually fun. I can see it being even more addictive when the whole singleplayer aspect is added in.

Really needs a simple text chat on PC.

masterkajo

Is there a cap on the MP characters or will they eventually be able to max !@#$%^&* every power?

AFAIK, the level cap is 20. Does anyone know how much points you get per level? It seemed that at the beginning you got 3 and now I am getting 5. Will I be able to max all powers out? Can I reset them somehow if I missspeced?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Had a wonderful couple of rounds with a vanguard, soldier and two infiltrators (one of them me). So much fun. I'm really keen to see how the other maps play, as well as the different types of enemies in the full version. They should really mix up the encounter styles.

The only worry I have is that once the level cap has been hit the game will lose it's charm, but I suppose as long as it remains difficult and challenging for high level + strong loot characters it will still be fun to play.

has there been any word on how the character unlocks will work in the full game? I'm not the biggest fan of getting them randomly from the packs

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Had a wonderful couple of rounds with a vanguard, soldier and two infiltrators (one of them me). So much fun. I'm really keen to see how the other maps play, as well as the different types of enemies in the full version. They should really mix up the encounter styles.

The only worry I have is that once the level cap has been hit the game will lose it's charm, but I suppose as long as it remains difficult and challenging for high level + strong loot characters it will still be fun to play.

Apparently you keep unlocking stuff, it just becomes aesthetically focused.

I get the impression that gold difficulty is based around very high level characters, so it should remain challenging even at max level.

has there been any word on how the character unlocks will work in the full game? I'm not the biggest fan of getting them randomly from the packs

i'm guessing it will be packs, look at how much money fifa dream team is making EA, mass effect is another slice of that pie now.

so people are liking this? i'm pleasantly surprised. i think i will definitely be playing it along with the SP.

there is no competitive mode, right? i don't want one, very much prefer co-op.

Moaradin

so people are liking this? i'm pleasantly surprised. i think i will definitely be playing it along with the SP.

there is no competitive mode, right? i don't want one, very much prefer co-op.

It's amazing. I think the demo should have just been the MP portion lmao. On PC, it's very hard. Even the lowest difficulty(bronze) can be hard to finish without really good teamwork and at least a decent level. It shows how much better the combat and enemy designs are in this game. You have more freedom in MP and can actually customize your weapons and loadouts unlike the SP demo.

It shows off the skill trees better as well. I noticed you have a much larger variety of builds you can go in this game. MP has only three abilities but you can do some nice things with them. Going to be crazy considering the SP will let you have more than twice that.

Singularity is amazing. First off, biotic explosions are triggered when two biotics are combined on the same target. You can do them yourself, BUT, there is a caveat. The first biotic attack has to have a lasting effect (Warp, Singularity, Stasis, Reave, Pull) because it needs to last until the second biotic attack hits it. The second biotic attack can be just about anything (EXCEPT for the same attack, you can't do the same move twice in a row) - I think I saw a biotic explosion come from a pull and a charge.
Which leads me back to my point. Singularity is awesome. The majority of troopers have no shields, so I set 'em up with a singularity, then either warp or shockwave (depending on the range). Which shielded enemies, I usually drop a singularity at them, which stuns them, then I unload with my SMG until their shield gives in. They're usually still stuck in the singularity's range, so they caught in it. Then, BOOM, warp for the biotic explosion. Most satisfying kill ever.

Anyways, I just bought a veteran pack and FINALLY got a new race. Quarian Engineer. Not exactly what I wanted, but it's a step in the right direction.

ah i hate you so much! that is the class I want the most that turret its BOSS

might have been discussed already but once you hit the level cap you can "promote" your character as a war asset to your single player game and start building another one. If that is really how it works I will be playing multiplayer for a long long time..my war assets will squash the reapers like bugs :D

exYle

ah i hate you so much! that is the class I want the most that turret its BOSS
Hahaha. Well, if you have an Asari adept, I'll trade ya.
You know what, that's a pretty good idea. Trading characters and items. If we're getting items like booster pack trading cards, we might as well take it to the next step and allow trading.

might have been discussed already but once you hit the level cap you can "promote" your character as a war asset to your single player game and start building another one. If that is really how it works I will be playing multiplayer for a long long time..my war assets will squash the reapers like bugs :D

Really? Where'd you hear that? Cause that is extremely cool, and awesome motivation for MP.

Moaradin

Just tried Asari Adept for the first time. Stasis is probably one of the most useful skills in the game. I was able to freeze guys with shields and barriers and do a ton of damage to them thanks to a talent that increases damage by 150% while stasis is on.

EatChildren was in the game as well and I can see the synergy with Adept and Infiltrator. Statis + 150% damage = easy one-shot headshots.

EatChildren

EatChildren was in the game as well and I can see the synergy with Adept and Infiltrator. Statis + 150% damage = easy one-shot headshots.

If I was the one lagging like hell I'm sorry. Australian internet.

And yeah, stasis lines up targets almost too nicely. I felt a bit guilty taking the shots, but when it was someone tough I just had to.

Hahaha. Well, if you have an Asari adept, I'll trade ya.
You know what, that's a pretty good idea. Trading characters and items. If we're getting items like booster pack trading cards, we might as well take it to the next step and allow trading.

Really? Where'd you hear that? Cause that is extremely cool, and awesome motivation for MP.

well if you look at the character screen there is a grayed out option to "promote character" the only thing I could think of to promote it to was to a war asset in single player, that is just my guess as to how the 2 tie together....and man if such is the case...i'm straight up addicted.

Alright GAF 360 people I added all of you as friends, I hope to hell you all have microphones because playing with people that do not talk is near impossible. Coordination is MANDATORY on silver-gold, and the experience boos in the higher ranks is so worth it. Hopefully some of you are in the demo and wanting to play. Psycho and I have had some good games already. Anyway just wanted to let everyone know I added them on the 360 and am looking forward to playing.

Thanks for the replies guys, I was always trying to throw a warp right into the center of a singularity and it didnt do anything. So is it even worth it to open the 5000 credit boxes (recruit i think?) or should I save up for the 20,000 ones?

So is it even worth it to open the 5000 credit boxes (recruit i think?) or should I save up for the 20,000 ones?

I've seen several people ask about this, and I'm curious as well.

For those who have purchased the recruit and veteran packages, could you detail what kinds of things you found in each? Maybe we can collectively determine whether 4 recruit packages are better or worse than a single veteran package.

Moaradin

Thanks for the replies guys, I was always trying to throw a warp right into the center of a singularity and it didnt do anything. So is it even worth it to open the 5000 credit boxes (recruit i think?) or should I save up for the 20,000 ones?

I would save. I opened dozens of 5000 ones and I don't think you can get some things. If you complete all 10 waves on bronze, you will get around 16000 credits.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm loving the multiplayer. Got my Sentinel to Lvl 12 last night. Played with my roommate and a couple goons from SA.

I have to say, the multiplayer experience on PC is spot on. It's so well done. Despite it largely just being horde mode, I don't think I've felt so badass taking out hordes of enemies with magical future spells and a horde of weaponry.

We've pretty much aced Bronze now. We moved onto Silver last night, and got up to Wave 10 before being brutally destroyed (mostly because we got separated like idiots).

Great time, though. I can see myself playing the multiplayer a lot when the game proper comes out.

My roommate both decided to take a single weapon with us so we could constantly use biotics. Warp and pull all over the damn place.

exYle

For those who have purchased the recruit and veteran packages, could you detail what kinds of things you found in each? Maybe we can collectively determine whether 4 recruit packages are better or worse than a single veteran package.
Going off personal experience, I've gotten my only alternate character via a Veteran pack. Since I usually get around 15,000 creds per completed match, this translates to a Vet and two Recruit packs every two matches, which means I've bought at least twice as many recruit packs as veteran packs.
So, I'm gonna stick with purchasing Vet packs.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Haven't played the demo yet, but im hoping its fun enough that it will not be abandoned by players a 1 month later.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Going off personal experience, I've gotten my only alternate character via a Veteran pack. Since I usually get around 15,000 creds per completed match, this translates to a Vet and two Recruit packs every two matches, which means I've bought at least twice as many recruit packs as veteran packs.
So, I'm gonna stick with purchasing Vet packs.

Yeah. The best I've gotten from recruit packs is raw EXP for a specific class.

I'm going to start saving for vet packs.

Mindlog

It's so random. While the veteran package guarantees you at least one nicer item there's a good chance that item will be useless. That said my last veteran package gave me a Salarian Infiltrator.

Human Vanguard is amazing. With 1/2 Nova a Vanguard now wants to charge into the middle of a group.
Solo charging an Atlas is actually pretty easy.
Phantoms are easy if you land your charges.

Turrets are dicks. If you see it you can panic circle and kill it. If you don't see it - dead Vanguard. Always charge engineers.
You don't need shockwave to kill guardians. Just charge, step to the left and shoot.

best class

Top Bottom