• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

SlickVic

Not sure if I'm missing where to find codex entries for missions. I was on Elaaden and found a datapad that unlocked a quest 'Crisis Response'. It showed some icon for what looked like a new unlocked codex entry called 'Raid Plans'. But I checked the codex and can't find any such entry. Is there actually supposed to be a codex entry for this? If so, not sure where it's supposed to be.

Not sure if I'm missing where to find codex entries for missions. I was on Elaaden and found a datapad that unlocked a quest 'Crisis Response'. It showed some icon for what looked like a new unlocked codex entry called 'Raid Plans'. But I checked the codex and can't find any such entry. Is there actually supposed to be a codex entry for this? If so, not sure where it's supposed to be.

Could be Story So Far?

So we can see their beautiful faces

Probably also to avoid cutscenes where people drink through their helmets and whatnot like you used to see in the old games.

I think i'd prefer that over what I was experiencing here... Helmet could theoretically have some kind of filter lol.
Peebee and Cora being perfectly fine while
in a ship with a massive hole in the side, sound is even dampened in that area(and Ryder even specifically says right before that segment "Okay everyone, helmets on")
was honestly probably my worst moment with the game so far, im glad I found that in the options.

Now if only I could put Peebee in any suit that is remotely fitting to the situations.

Caboose

So what was all the gibberish from Bioware saying somewhere that we were supposed to feel sympathetic toward the kett/Archon? So far they are very black/white and not interesting at all.

Arklite

They missed their mark completely if they really said that. The Kett show nothing redeeming.

Only sympathy I had came when the Archon fruitlessly tries to mimic Alec's motions to activate the vault and fails. Outdone instantly by some random aliens.

Renekton

They missed their mark completely if they really said that. The Kett show nothing redeeming.

Only sympathy I had came when the Archon fruitlessly tries to mimic Alec's motions to activate the vault and fails. Outdone instantly by some random aliens.
The fastest way to lose respect for the villain since Man of Steel Zod getting beat by a scientist.

prag16

Banned
So what was all the gibberish from Bioware saying somewhere that we were supposed to feel sympathetic toward the kett/Archon? So far they are very black/white and not interesting at all.
Sympathetic? Did they actually say that? Anyway that would be the wrong word based on what we know so far.

But they're not necessarily straight up mustache twirling evil either.

They are basically the Borg. They honestly think exaltation (like Borg assimilation) is a gift, and this is how they reproduce as a race; they have no reproductive apparatus per Lexi (iirc). I guess that makes them somewhat similar to the Reapers as well.

(Though I guess I recall the Borg breeding babies in tanks and giving them implants as infants,
etc. But that's besides the point, and if anything makes the Kett LESS evil than the Borg in a way.)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, I don't think they ever used the word "sympathetic" to describe the Ketts. Just that they aren't pure evil bad guys that are just out there because they want to kill everything for the fun of it.

Yeah, I don't think they ever used the word "sympathetic" to describe the Ketts. Just that they aren't pure evil bad guys that are just out there because they want to kill everything for the fun of it.

I'm not that far into the game yet, but the Kett seem too much like a Covenant ripoff, with a dash of the Collectors from ME2 thrown in. Generic religious bad guys that want to trigger the ancient technology because of unexplained reasons.
Oh, and they're harvesting genes for reasons too.

The latest revelation in my game,
they are not as united as they appeared and some may want to rebel against the leadership
has me half-expecting to meet an "Arbiter".

At least they have a bit of nuance than was apparent in the early game, which might help make the next games more interesting.

I hope they move away from open-world though. It is simultaneously too big (boring traversal in Mako V2) and too small.
It's a game of literally galactic scale where everyone travels in spaceships, yet Kett warships are constantly landing less than a kilometre from the colony (where unarmed shuttles are constantly landing), and the main Kett base is about a kilometre away from the secret hidden Angaran resistance base. It makes everything feel really small.

mbpm1

That actually was one of the best things I remember about the Archon and Kett, yeah. Otherwise just generic baddies

Hahs

All humans can't reproduce

I'm assuming (Subjectively) that the quote would make more sense to those individuals.

Sympathizing with the Kett's methods on the other hand leans heavily towards immorality​.

prag16

Banned
I'm not that far into the game yet, but the Kett seem too much like a Covenant ripoff, with a dash of the Collectors from ME2 thrown in. Generic religious bad guys that want to trigger the ancient technology because of unexplained reasons.
Oh, and they're harvesting genes for reasons too.

The latest revelation in my game,
they are not as united as they appeared and some may want to rebel against the leadership
has me half-expecting to meet an "Arbiter".

At least they have a bit of nuance than was apparent in the early game, which might help make the next games more interesting.

Nah, you find out a bit more later on. They're much more like the Borg than the Covenant (aside from the "Dissension in the Ranks" angle). They do give reasoning for the Archon's obsession with
the Remnant
. But in the end they still remain somewhat generic, I can agree with the consensus there.

I hope they move away from open-world though. It is simultaneously too big (boring traversal in Mako V2) and too small.
It's a game of literally galactic scale where everyone travels in spaceships, yet Kett warships are constantly landing less than a kilometre from the colony (where unarmed shuttles are constantly landing), and the main Kett base is about a kilometre away from the secret hidden Angaran resistance base. It makes everything feel really small.

The "simultaneously too big and too small" is a good way to put it. Definitely hoping they change the structure next time around, and move away from the DAI/MEA.

I bet we'll see some of this in the inevitable
Quarian Ark
DLC (we all know it's coming). I doubt they give us another "open world". It'll probably be more LotSB style content.

I will preface this comment with the fact that I'm really liking this game, and having lots of fun. But I will say, the game doesn't seem to have a connection between the "suggestions" and what's actually happening on screen. If I'm in some crazy intense battle, please stop flashing a note in the corner of the screen telling me that I have unused research points. SAM, please stop telling me that it's cold outside. I know it's cold - the text flashes dead center on the middle of the screen and my life support meter shows up. It's annoying because it takes me out of the moment. It's especially annoying when fighting
the Architect on Eos
- let me focus on the task at hand, I'm not going to stop to craft some armor while I'm dodging huge attacks!

mbpm1

I will preface this comment with the fact that I'm really liking this game, and having lots of fun. But I will say, the game doesn't seem to have a connection between the "suggestions" and what's actually happening on screen. If I'm in some crazy intense battle, please stop flashing a note in the corner of the screen telling me that I have unused research points. SAM, please stop telling me that it's cold outside. I know it's cold - the text flashes dead center on the middle of the screen and my life support meter shows up. It's annoying because it takes me out of the moment. It's especially annoying when fighting
the Architect on Eos
- let me focus on the task at hand, I'm not going to stop to craft some armor while I'm dodging huge attacks!

"Pathfinder, this area can be mined for resources."

Well the only thing that got me was
when I quickly shot the one in the back on impulse.
Only asshole choice I made.

The "simultaneously too big and too small" is a good way to put it. Definitely hoping they change the structure next time around, and move away from the DAI/MEA.

I bet we'll see some of this in the inevitable
Quarian Ark
DLC (we all know it's coming). I doubt they give us another "open world". It'll probably be more LotSB style content.
Yeah, I would love to have more planets with Havarl sized zones and slightly better activity density and less filler, but I feel like we're not going to get that unless Bioware rips off The Expanse and has
Remnant tech connect Heleus to other parts of Andromeda via a network of wormholes
. The way they've set up the rules in Andromeda means they can't really get a bunch of new aliens in a new game, because the universe seems to run on "one species per cluster, unless there's an easy way to connect clusters" and Kett FTL is super slow by mass relay standards.

prag16

Banned
Did they? Must have missed that. What was it?

I mean it's nothing earth shattering, but the Archon wants total control over the vault network in order to control the biomes of all the words affected, thus making it easier to round everyone up for exaltation by keeping/making the environments as harsh as needed to prevent anyone from being able to mount resistance. Hence the obsession with Remnant and their tech; he needs to figure out how to gain control of the vaults, something that Ryder has been able to do, but he has not (to that point). Primus is skeptical of this approach and doesn't want to waste the time/resources and is in favor of "conventional" methods to do the exaltations.

hollerphonix

Neo Member
So this is on sale at bb canada and was wondering what I can expect if I dip into this.
I've heard a fair bit of complaints but wanted to get a clearer view of things with it.
Anyone wanna help?
I don't have a tone of experience with the series and I'm mainly a console gamer haven't played a bunch of the original trilogy played a fair bit of the dragon age series (mostly inquisition).
What can I honestly expect if I do go in on this game?

So this is on sale at bb canada and was wondering what I can expect if I dip into this.
I've heard a fair bit of complaints but wanted to get a clearer view of things with it.
Anyone wanna help?
I don't have a tone of experience with the series and I'm mainly a console gamer haven't played a bunch of the original trilogy played a fair bit of the dragon age series (mostly inquisition).
If you get it on sale, do minimal additional tasks, and follow the Remnant decryption guides, you get a pretty good "space adventurer exploring in space" game, with some odd bugs here and there.

Also, make sure you force the v1.05 patch to install before playing, because there's at least one scene early in the game gets a dramatic improvement in animations with that patch.

That fucking line destroyed SO MANY TIMES my party banters... FOR GOD'S SAKE BIOWARE, what were they thinking?

Yes, that's also really annoying. I mean, how many indications do you need for mining? The controller shakes, the meter in the upper left turns to green and gets bigger, and you see the mining indicator on your compass. SAM, I got it.....

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It would be nice if we could have an idea when their next patch is going to release. I'm postponing my NG+ just for that(especially for the improved character creator) Have devs mention anything on Twitter yet?

Madness

The issue with the Kett again comes down to poor storytelling execution and writing by BioWare.
They probably thought them up to be morally ambiguous. A race that can no longer reproduce and has to resort to exaltation to grow their numbers and then to raise issues of eugenics and evolution and survival of the fittest. But it devolves into humanoid with an assault rifle shooting you because reasons and then they use generic Sovereign style quotes by the Archon to try and not give the player too much information. I bet, like many things, this was meant to have greater importance in concept than reality. Same goes for Kelly Sloane and the exiles, Tann and the rest of the directors etc. In the end, the Kett cannot be redeemed, they are the evil and we have to kill them no matter what. That is what they present it to us as. Especially by making Jaal our sympathetic squadmate and Moshae being so venerable.

Honestly a lot of this games' faults come down to poor execution, well thought concepts though.

Anyone wanna help?

Like he said its 50$ plus tax. Considering how fast it dropped should I hold for a better sale or is this a fair price? Played the original trilogy and I particularly enjoyed the third one.

Anyone wanna help?

Everything Destiny's campaign promised and failed in every regard.
+ technical glitches

Honestly it might be the reason im enjoying it so much and issues aren't bothering me at all,
Been craving something like this since that hype train.

Thats as someone who only recently played about half of ME1(brother traded PS3 in so I was stuck)

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Heck, even the "Dissension in the Ranks" angle happened with the Borg. It's just that by the time Star Trek: Voyager's seventh season premiered, only the more hardcore Trek enthusiasts were even watching these shows anymore, lol.

prag16

Banned
Heck, even the "Dissension in the Ranks" angle happened with the Borg. It's just that by the time Star Trek: Voyager's seventh season premiered, only the more hardcore Trek enthusiasts were even watching these shows anymore, lol.

Ha, forgot all about that. I saw all of Voyager when it was new but have never done a full re-watch (as I have with TNG and DS9). Good call.

Honestly a lot of this games' faults come down to poor execution, well thought concepts though.

The Kett angle I think was okay. I understand what they were going for in terms of their motivations. Of course it doesn't make them "sympathetic" exactly (though I'm not sure that was quite the aim), but it's just enough more than "mustache twirling evil asshole" to satisfy me somewhat, personally.

But in general, yeah. It's lot like the ME3 ending. The xzibit meme was popular. That meme was of course overly reductive almost to the point of being nonsense, but that didn't matter because the EXECUTION did a bad job elevating the concept above the point where a meme like that could resonate.

Ricker

Like he said its 50$ plus tax. Considering how fast it dropped should I hold for a better sale or is this a fair price? Played the original trilogy and I particularly enjoyed the third one.

I dont think its a permanent price...BB does that a lot,its only for the flyer week I think...I think the game is great and for 30 less only a month after release,its well worth it.

I mean it's nothing earth shattering, but the Archon wants total control over the vault network in order to control the biomes of all the words affected, thus making it easier to round everyone up for exaltation by keeping/making the environments as harsh as needed to prevent anyone from being able to mount resistance. Hence the obsession with Remnant and their tech; he needs to figure out how to gain control of the vaults, something that Ryder has been able to do, but he has not (to that point). Primus is skeptical of this approach and doesn't want to waste the time/resources and is in favor of "conventional" methods to do the exaltations.

[Endgame spoilers]

Oh, right. I was never clear on why
he wanted control of Meridian to make the worlds uninhabitable other than being a dick. Making exaltation easier by quashing the potential for resistance makes a kind of sense, and in that case then yeah, I'm kinda on his side rather than Primus' as that does seem a better strategy once Ryder arrives on the scene as they are clearly on the back foot and need something clutch to turn it around (although those planets were already pretty fucked!). Glad I told Primus to take her deal and shove it - I didn't want to help her in any way, especially after reading the intel I got from the Salarian.

When I read
Primus'
Codex entry and it mentioned
she would execute anyone showing deviation from Kett dogma and the Kett ideal of perfection - and the Archon was doing exactly that - it did make me think 'Well, good on him because fuck that'. That was the closest I got to any kind of impression he was anything more than a two-dimensional space cunt.

Hate the R&D in this.
It's needlessly clunky, that's for sure.
I'm never going to research something that I don't plan on making, so just merge the two steps and just have me spend research points and resources at the same time to get the item.

I remember Mass Effect 3 having a gun range where you could test out weapons, which would have been amazing helpful in this game.

Maybe let us research an item, then test a virtual or test version before you waste resources to make it. I'd have loved to play around with the mods and try out all the different guns way more if I didn't need to go through the process of researching, crafting, loading into an open world area, driving to a combat spot, and finally be able to test it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
About R&D. Am I the only one who exclusively used only Milky Way weapons and armor the whole game? The main problem for me with weapons and armor from Andromeda is that I really don't like the design of them at all. I mean, weapons look like toys to me, as for the armor,... it's just awful all around (Kett, Angara, Remnant). How so that only Milky Way R&D has much better looking weapons and armor (except pre-order armor)? Also, the Remnant weapons is underpowered compared to Milky Way ones, so why on earh would you research, develop and use them? Oh and, why only certain armor sets have design change the further you upgrade them (only up to level 5, everything beyond that is the same looking armor as level 5) and why weapons don't have this feature?

Arklite

^ I often used a regenerating Remannt auto rifle and some Heleus heavy sniper. Aside from that yeah, all Milky Way. I wish the game let you switch weapons while dashing forward to sneak in a quick shotgun blast or etc.

I used remnant and angara armor and Milky Way weps. Seemed like a good way of spreading my development between the three sections to maximize research.

OK, so I'm confused. Can someone explain to me how these
Angara
aliens I just met are all speaking English to me and each all of a sudden? Is the idea that they for some reason know how to speak it, or did I miss something? Hopefully I did, because that would be incredibly stupid.

Renekton

OK, so I'm confused. Can someone explain to me how these
Angara
aliens I just met are all speaking English to me and each all of a sudden? Is the idea that they for some reason know how to speak it, or did I miss something? Hopefully I did, because that would be incredibly stupid.
Originally their words were unintelligible, but between docking and escort they got the translation working off-screen <_<

Can anyone remind me why you can put an outpost on the jungle planet?

I think i'd prefer that over what I was experiencing here... Helmet could theoretically have some kind of filter lol.
Peebee and Cora being perfectly fine while
in a ship with a massive hole in the side, sound is even dampened in that area(and Ryder even specifically says right before that segment "Okay everyone, helmets on")
was honestly probably my worst moment with the game so far, im glad I found that in the options.

Now if only I could put Peebee in any suit that is remotely fitting to the situations.

Technically your crew and your Rayder should be wearing their helmets all the tims in each planet due having hazard enviroments and being helmetless after using the pylons. Rayder becomes aware of using Helmets only in that moment and I think only on the
Turian Ark
the games forces you to use helmets.

Also by default only your Ryder wears helmet on your squad but dont use helmet in cutscenes by default like wtf.

Technically your crew and your Rayder should be wearing their helmets all the tims in each planet due having hazard enviroments and being helmetless after using the pylons. Rayder becomes aware of using Helmets only in that moment and I think only on the
Turian Ark
the games forces you to use helmets.

Also by default only you Ryder wears helmet on your squad but dont use helmet in cutscenes by default like wtf.

It should definitely be default on and the squad option really should be in the loadout screen as well imo.
I would never have known if someone hadn't mentioned the options for Ryder's helmet.

The moral choices feels forced to be No or Yes and there is no option of "you did wrong but let me convince you" anyway.

Especially on the Water source dilema, the rogue IA , the Asari Pathfinder or the exiled Leader

Guys, I know this isn't an performance OT, but I'm seeing large variances between benchmarks as to whether it's possible to get 4K 60 ultra settings on a 1080ti. I've seen differences of almost 20fps between benchmarks 45-65 very confusing! What would I need to tweak to hit 60?

Renekton

Guys, I know this isn't an performance OT, but I'm seeing large variances between benchmarks as to whether it's possible to get 4K 60 ultra settings on a 1080ti. I've seen differences of almost 20fps between benchmarks 45-65 very confusing! What would I need to tweak to hit 60?
Ultra I don't think so.The testers sometimes test in the least demanding area possible, and you will get crazy drops later as benchmarkers seldom go past Eos or H7.

1. Turn off DOF: the effect is weird anyways.

2. Turn down the following to medium:
Shadow
Lighting
Terrain
Vegetation
Effects (if you get combat slowdowns)

3. Turn down resolution scale one notch to test if you can spot the difference

4. For the rest, difference between high and ultra is minimal

Ultra I don't think so.The testers sometimes test in the least demanding area possible, and you will get crazy drops later as benchmarkers seldom go past Eos or H7.

1. Turn off DOF: the effect is weird anyways.

2. Turn down the following to medium:
Shadow
Lighting
Terrain
Vegetation
Effects (if you get combat slowdowns)

3. Turn down resolution scale one notch to test if you can spot the difference

4. For the rest, difference between high and ultra is minimal

Ok great thanks, I've read that there is quite a performance hit between the 32 and 64 bit colour option, but as I'll be using HDR I have to select 64 bit to avoid colour banding..... Just hope HDR doesn't take frames down further like Hitman.

Top Bottom