• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

obeast

I barely feel like my squadmates are really there most of the time in combat.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if my squadmates bugged and their abilities stopped doing anything I wouldn't even have noticed anything but the departure of my overpowered healing from Cora (w/ the exception of Drak, I guess, because he tends to kill everything around him pretty quickly). I played on normal (I was not up to dying with any regularity, given the weird the save system), though, and the combat became stupidly easy pretty early on, so perhaps they're more essential for higher settings.

I'm not one who really cared that much about the streamlining of the squad combat in ME:A (squad tactics was never what I enjoyed about the earlier games, and I never found the systems that interesting), but it's indisputably true that removing player control over squadmates' powers makes them feel like afterthoughts.

BouncyFrag

The sound in the game makes it really hard to hear what they say in combat which, IIRC, was never an issue in previous games. One of my favorite things in ME2 was hearing my squad mates, especially Thane, Grunt, and Garrus during combat.

prag16

Banned
I seem to have arrived at the last mission chunk at the 18 hour count - I don't want to critize the length of the main campaign, that was always there in the series, but overall it is so incredibly bland and same-y, it's shocking.

I obviously don't agree with your appraisal of the game, but aside from that are you sure you're at the "last mission chunk"? If you just picked up the "Hunting the Archon" mission (which certainly sounds kind of final) you still have a decent bit to go, and probably haven't done many if any of the loyalty missions yet, which are arguably the best content in the game.

But if
"Meridian: The Way Home"
is next on your docket, then forget I opened my mouth; you're right near the end.

Madness

Cora I knew because she would charge in and be front line. And I would hear Drack's berserker laugh etc. But once you get their Cryo or incendiary ammo perk, you knew they were arouns because random Chosen or Assemblers would be frozen or burning. I agree though, weapon wheel needs to be streamlined, I feel GTA V has it best, get rid of this profiles and favorites stuff, give us control over AI powers again. Not necessarily those passive ones like shield boost or whatnot that activated immediately. But let me control when Cora should charge etc.

I hope another patch drops soon too. Been a few weeks.

Mirand

So I've been sitting on a retail copy since launch. I think I'll jump in when they announce the first story DLC. I figure most of the QOL patches will be out by then.

Kadayi

Banned
I totally agree with this. They should've made the Tempest the hub for a lot of the quest hand-ins.
Loyalty quests requiring you to meet for a 30-second conversation at some random planet (before sending you to do the actual mission on another planet) are utter bullshit. Cora's has been sat in my Journal forever because I have no reason to revisit Eos.
No, I should not have to visit Aya to speak with Liam about him fucking up some bullshit. Just tell me now! I'm his CO, not his fucking frat-bro that needs me to come hang at a bar so he can tell me about how he completely jeopardised the Human-Angaran alliance with some hazing prank while he creeps on some hot Angaran babes.

Yeah, If you're going to make a Star Trek inspired game, be like Star Trek and have communications be an active thing, you can instigate. I was honestly surprised at how little use the ships vid com got. I think I clocked around 120 hours in total. I dare say several hours of that time could have been saved if I'd had a portable vid com to call up Questgiver X and say 'your samples are on their way', 'I avenged your sister' or 'we hid the bodies in the desert just like you asked Mr Affleck, now where's our money?' versus having to shlep my way back to goddamn Nexus and half a dozen loading screens every so often.

Yep. Have only stuck to one loadout of powers and have never bothered with switching profiles. I've heard similar with a lot of other people as well. Honestly would have been better to just bring back the power wheel along with full control of squad powers as well.

I only cottoned onto profiles late on because I bothered to read the hints during loading one time, but albeit I did set up profiles, I rarely swapped between then. I think I only really used soldier and engineer because by that juncture having the extra firepower of POC was kind of essential.

I spend more time swapping between custom guns. Why take 1 Valkyrie into battle when you can carry two? Each one one purpose built around pulverising armour or shields. Same deal with sniper rifles. The only downside is packing that much heat strapped to your pants tends to make certain cutscenes look weird as fuck.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What's with these bullshit "Building Shaders" showing up during loading since the latest patch? It's making the loadings last much longer than they used to.

Finished the game yesterday. I fucking loved it. I wasnt sure about the sp at first after reading so many complaints online but now I am really glad that I played it. I was worried about taking time away from the amazing mp but the sp was a blast. I really liked the squadmates and the different planets were all really well done. I hope we get more sp stuff as DLC.

Has this game recieved an update since the first one fixing the facial features? Also does anyone know what the future updates are suppose to be focused on?

obeast

Since I hate FedEx quests, is the game worth buying only for the main quest and loyalty missions ?

Depends on your tolerance for FedExing. Many loyalty missions, a few story missions, a bunch of semi-essential planetary events, and some strong or even narratively essential side quests are, inexplicably, gated behind meaningless travel, so you'll be putting in some time in that regard no matter what.

That said, quests aren't pure fetchiness - there's typically some story. It's not Dragon Age: Inquisition. The quests just don't typically work on a dramatic level all that well, which makes them feel rote. Speaking only for myself, I thought the payoff for the "work" I did was sometimes worth it, often not, but on balance I'm glad I played the game. I probably have a higher tolerance for bad quest design than you do, though.

prag16

Banned
Since I hate FedEx quests, is the game worth buying only for the main quest and loyalty missions ?

Sure. You don't need to spend 60-100 hours. IF you do the story, loyalty, and some of the main planet rehabilitation quest lines, you should be able to keep things to a tighter ~30 hour game that doesn't include much padding.

However as was mentioned, some of the good quests have some "preamble" or "foreplay" type steps that sometimes involve some seemingly pointless planet hopping that doesn't serve too much of a purpose.

e.g. It may say "Talk to PeeBee on Kadara"; with no option to just fucking walk 10 steps to where she's hanging out on the Tempest to talk to her. Or it'll have you go to some random planet to scan something, and THEN Cora declares that you're now ready to embark on the true meat of her loyalty mission.

Madness

If you haven't bought already why buy now when you know they are fixing it. Why play something subpar or having technical issues right now when you can keep holding off, get it for cheaper, with a lot of improved dialogu, quest, bug fixes. I want this series and game to succeed as much as the next ME fan, but I just cannot recommend you buy it now if you haven't already done so. Hold off, buy cheaper, play a better experience and then also maybe they will discuss single player dlc by then as well.

Arklite

The three people I had lined up to play MP have pretty much gotten cold feet for Andromeda. I hope they manage to completely finish the game and fix most bugs because I can't even waste my breath convincing people. Despite what's good, it's not a game I can recommend right now.

mbpm1

Cora I knew because she would charge in and be front line. And I would hear Drack's berserker laugh etc. But once you get their Cryo or incendiary ammo perk, you knew they were arouns because random Chosen or Assemblers would be frozen or burning. I agree though, weapon wheel needs to be streamlined, I feel GTA V has it best, get rid of this profiles and favorites stuff, give us control over AI powers again. Not necessarily those passive ones like shield boost or whatnot that activated immediately. But let me control when Cora should charge etc.

I hope another patch drops soon too. Been a few weeks.

I mostly noticed Drack because he took up a lot of fire.

Sometimes Jaal would surprise me with his bootleg N7 Shadow strike too, that was cool.

Kadayi

Banned
e.g. It may say "Talk to PeeBee on Kadara"; with no option to just fucking walk 10 steps to where she's hanging out on the Tempest to talk to her. Or it'll have you go to some random planet to scan something, and THEN Cora declares that you're now ready to embark on the true meat of her loyalty mission.

Yeah, that shit was infuriating as fuck.Honestly, I can't believe asinine hoop jumping of that sort is seemingly still a staple of modern game design.

When I eventually do my insanity playthrough (once they'd done some more patches) I'm half tempted to carry out a bit of time management tracking of how much needless back and forth there is because my spider sense reckons it's a disturbing amount.

Also fuck that Kadara BS in the ass. first the doors in Port are the slowest in the game, secondly to get planet side you always have to land at the port then take the elevator even after you build a colony. Set up two landing points from the planet screen...Port and badlands...simples.

It's the same. You don't get any extra options on PC.

Bah, whats the point of showing all the candies outside overwhelming you with "Somany options" if you can only take 3, going outside lick two , return it to the owner and take brand new 2 candies you will probably return because the old two were better

I remember I didnt even touched the profiles too

I am actually surprised the sidequest are fully voiced and have some references from the main mass effect game.

Some loyalty missions have optional sidequest , not really annoying but if you do some loyalty mission before others you will return to previous planets a lot.

mbpm1

Also fuck that Kadara BS in the ass. first the doors in Port are the slowest in the game, secondly to get planet side you always have to land at the port then take the elevator even after you build a colony. Set up two landing points from the planet screen...Port and badlands...simples.

What's also annoying is how the option to go back to the tempest is clumped with the option to go down to the slums.

A few times I accidentally went down when I wanted to return to the ship or vice versa, both leading to some unnecessarily long load screens.

61 hours in and still not done... goddam.

This game is incredible, I know that's not a popular thing to say, but goddam the scope keeps astounding me. The amount of dialogue is mind boggling. Can't believe this game gets shitton so hard as "terrible".

Which is unfortunate, cause this is what happened to Mass Effect 1 (my favorite mass effect), I absolutely loved it, but everyone RIPPED it to shreds so Bioware responded and limited the scope and removed anything controversial. Driving around the nomad is a blast...

The game IS janky as fuck though, so I definitely understand pegging it down a bit for that.

(sorry for rambling, still want to finish before I post my coherent thoughts)

Neolombax

Finally finished the game, sitting at about maybe 90% completion? about 100 hrs in. The few final missions were really good. I mean really great. The loyalty missions were good but man did the development team show real potential with the final mission. It made me wish that the whole game was designed as tight as the final mission. The way the game shows how your choices finally pays off was really satisfying I thought.

There were one too many side quests that had me travelling across different planets just to have such a trivial thing done. Way too much padding.

Squad mates turned out to be really great, didn't care too much for Cora and Liam though.

I'm already looking forward for a new game+ mode, just to max out the skills and different profiles.

Arklite

Which is unfortunate, cause this is what happened to Mass Effect 1 (my favorite mass effect), I absolutely loved it, but everyone RIPPED it to shreds so Bioware responded and limited the scope and removed anything controversial. Driving around the nomad is a blast...

I don't remember it getting ripped aside form the Mako and bad framerate. Critics liked it, and I think it got some slack because back then most WRPGs were just accepted as janky. Thankfully that last part is becoming less acceptable.

Edwardo

So i'm about 30 hours into the game.
I just brought the Moshae back to Aya
. There's something that's been bugging me a bit when driving around on the Nomad. A lot of the time one of my squad will call out the objective ahead, but we'll already be there. "Kett base up ahead" doesn't help when were just getting out of the Nomad, lol. Idk, just kind of takes away from it if these voice lines are loading too late.

Holy shit just trying to get some water on EOS and didn't expect that!

Haha I just did that mission tonight.

Karu

I obviously don't agree with your appraisal of the game, but aside from that are you sure you're at the "last mission chunk"? If you just picked up the "Hunting the Archon" mission (which certainly sounds kind of final) you still have a decent bit to go, and probably haven't done many if any of the loyalty missions yet, which are arguably the best content in the game.

But if
"Meridian: The Way Home"
is next on your docket, then forget I opened my mouth; you're right near the end.
Yeah to the spoiler haha. But I haven't done the Loyalty mission yet. As I said I wasn't actually critizing the length of the campaign per se, but that I had expectations that bigger things were still to come in regards to the main story, which so far didn't interest me really, there were no memorable moments for me personally whatsoever. So I did the main missions and because of the lack of energetic story-telling I was surprised to have reached the end. And while the loyalty missions - especially in 2 - were the undisputed highlight, the main conflict still held my interest for various reason.

It certainly doesn't help that the environments for the main missions and so on kinda blend together in my memory.

I am almost at a point, where I just want to restart and pre-structure my entire playthrough for the best possible pacing. I think that's an absolute horrid solution and makes me like this game way less, but if that's what it takes, meh. Somebody should create a quest-to-quest best pacing-guide for this game. Who volunteers?

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah, it looks good and all but... that's about it. I liked more open planets in the game a lot more.

Agreed about Havarl. Probably looked good on paper, less so when you're in the actual space. It just felt like one giant game level (trinkets in every cubbyhole ) and it (much like the remnant vaults) was just too dark and dingy for its own good. Red plants coupled with an Orange highlight scanner make for a frustrating experience. Saying that though, scanning which is a kind of key mechanic was pretty annoying given you can only walk but the environmental spatial design is on the large side.

Honestly, I'd rather the scanning was like a pulse ala Witcher 3 highlighting objects of interest within a generous area, versus this open scanner/close scanner, run to new location open scanner/close scanner rigmarole. Failure to respect the audience's time with tedious systems.

Also WTF with the Angaran computer systems/consoles etc having human numerals on them? How exactly did that not get picked up by someone from the art department? You spend countless hours building a game, crafting alien environments, only to then fuck it up with the piss poor texturing devoid of any sense as to where it's final location will be. Good design of any sort is cohesive.

Just encountered a new glitch
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/M...mLHvGaqPYxriRRyf0P4_s0dVhwVtOTkbGgjS6TEP7O0hE
("Movie night" spoilers)
I call it, GhostRyder.

I had exactly the same issue with my movie night. All that hoop jumping for a broken result.

BouncyFrag

Can I kill Peebee? That might be the only thing that can motivate me to finish single player.
I bet SAM could eject that escape pod exposing her room to space and make it look like an accident.
Javik approves +10

Bioware games do have a history of letting you kill companions. You could do some ice cold shit in KOTOR and Jade Empire, especially.

Quick question, early in the game you get a quest about scanning planets for a school curriculum.
I had already scanned a bunch so I went to the computer terminal to see, ever since there has been no reference to it and that person isn't even around anymore?

Has this game recieved an update since the first one fixing the facial features? Also does anyone know what the future updates are suppose to be focused on?

Nope not received a single solitary patch since the last one 3 weeks ago and there is no news of any patch coming soon. Now I get that they have "big plans" for the next patch. However it is pretty bad support wise to not release smallish patches to fix some of the more egregious bugs like quests not being marked as done.

Their whole approach to the patch issue is silly. They are talking about patching in better character customisation (which is no mean feat). In my view that should not be a patch, it should be "free" dlc. Don't hold up fixing important issues just for a revamped character creator. This game needs urgent patching to fix fundamental parts of the game that are broken.

CSJ

I haven't seen any of this during my entire 128 hour playthrough. I also not used squad orders at all except maybe the regroup order every once in a while. I mean, tactical elements is extremely basic in this game in comparison to the very first trilogy anyway, so... why even use them?

Used them to try get them to do something.
Uh?

Akai__

Quick question, early in the game you get a quest about scanning planets for a school curriculum.
I had already scanned a bunch so I went to the computer terminal to see, ever since there has been no reference to it and that person isn't even around anymore?

The person that gave you the quest is in the Nexus Docking Bay on the top floor. It's marked as Tech Lab on the map. Now, I don't know how many planets you actually had to scan, but I do know that you have to do main missions to open up more Systems and thus more planets to scan.

The person that gave you the quest is in the Nexus Docking Bay on the top floor. It's marked as Tech Lab on the map. Now, I don't know how many planets you actually had to scan, but I do know that you have to do main missions to open up more Systems and thus more planets to scan.
You have to scan 50 planets, and planets you scanned before getting the quest count towards the total.

Top Bottom