• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Performance Thread

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SSRs and some other effects in FB3 are running at half framerate and/or several frames behind from general rendering. This means that they are using temporal approximation for such effects in between frames which can result in such blurs and smudges.

(I really wish that SSR would just die at this point. The most intrusive, immersion breaking and shit looking effect of the last several years IMO. Hopefully we'll switch to something more advanced soon.)

Interesting. It's definitely broken though. Regardless of rendering algorithms I can't believe the issues noted are intended. It's one thing for the shader to use temporal blurring between frames, and it's another for the shader to basically outright break in certain circumstances.

As noted, if I'm not using TAA in BF1 my reflections are SSR busted and broken, excessively blurring. Meanwhile reflections are fine in Andromeda no matter TAA on or off, but the scourge has a broken shader with TAA on.

Not sure what the fuck DICE/BioWare are doing there. I'm going to hazard a guess it's an unusual quirk that's either gone unnoticed or is so low priority they don't give a shit about fixing it.

Corpekata

Banned
Anyone with a 7770K and a 1080 @ 1440p?

Performing well. A few weird cut scene hiccups that I imagine are just general issues rather than it struggling on the hardware. Just using the default Ultra settings. Varies between 60-90ish depending on the scene. Haven't encountered any poor moments yet.

Durante

SSRs and some other effects in FB3 are running at half framerate and/or several frames behind from general rendering. This means that they are using temporal approximation for such effects in between frames which can result in such blurs and smudges.

(I really wish that SSR would just die at this point. The most intrusive, immersion breaking and shit looking effect of the last several years IMO. Hopefully we'll switch to something more advanced soon.)
If you think SSR is bad in traditional on-screen games, then try it in VR. "Oh too bad, I moved my head so taht reflection just went away"

Was not getting good performance with a 1070. 1080p on ultra it was dropping as low as 20fps -_-
20 FPS on a 1070 at 1080p sounds like you are limited elsewhere (unless "ultra" means some extreme quality SSAA/oversampling in this game). What's your CPU/memory?

JBwB

So I'm getting pretty much locked 60fps on my rig.

980 Ti
16gb RAM
SSD
1440p Monitor

Resolution scale is 1.0 and everything is pretty much ultra, with Shadows on medium.

But it still looks like there are some serious a frame pacing issues. To go with the animation issues, and everything else.

Still very much undecided on the purchase as someone who's put over 600 hours into the series...

Well this bodes very well for my setup (3570k 4.7ghz / GTX 1080) if you're getting a locked 60fps @ 1440p.

Those frame pacing issues are indeed very worrying though. Here's hoping they can fix that with a patch.

Moaradin

If you think SSR is bad in traditional on-screen games, then try it in VR. "Oh too bad, I moved my head so taht reflection just went away"

20 FPS on a 1070 at 1080p sounds like you are limited elsewhere (unless "ultra" means some extreme quality SSAA/oversampling in this game). What's your CPU/memory?

i5-3570k @ 4.5
8gb ram

20 fps was the lowest it would drop. It was very inconsistent. On the starting planet, it ranged from 40-60 fps. The planet you first go to after you get your ship was ranging from 20-30.

JBwB

i5-3570k @ 4.5
8gb ram

20 fps was the lowest it would drop. It was very inconsistent. On the starting planet, it ranged from 40-60 fps. The planet you first go to after you get your ship was ranging from 20-30.

Could the possible cause be that you just don't have enough RAM? What's your usage like in game?

Banned
I'm so dammed disappointed reading this shit right now. Five years. Five full development years. :(

It's a good thing I'm ass deep in Zelda right now so maybe some patches and driver updates will be ready by early April or something.

TheTrain

i5-3570k @ 4.5
8gb ram

If you are playing while downloading the game wait for it to be finished

Lower end computer checking in:

8gb Ram
i7 2600k processor (no oc)
Gtx 960

Played 2 hours at 1920 x 1200 on Low settings, got a mostly solid 60 fps. Few random dips here and there. I didn't do anything to resolution scale or tweak any settings. Going to play around with Medium when I get home from work.

nOoblet16

So I can either play at ultra 1080P/30FPS and perfect frame consistency using RTSS...Or drop almost everything to medium and get jumpy 50-60FPS. I absolutely love how the game feels at high framerate and it makes gameplay so much better but I also hate the flickering and weird shit that this game has when running at medium quality and such...and the worst part is that it isn't even constant 60FPS for me.

I think even if I get the game on PS Pro this is probably what I'll get i.e. max settings at 1080P/30 or medium with some at high at 1800P/30. But I have friends who want to play the MP with me there. This would be a no brainier PC purchase for me if I could hit consistent 60 at mid-high actually.

amardilo

Not sure if I should put a pre-order in, can someone tell me if I can expect a solid 60fps at 1440p on at least High settings with my setup?

Intel Skylake 6700k (OCed to 4.6GHz)
NVIDIA GTX 1070
16GB DDR4 RAM
SSD
Windows 10

I've seen a video of PS4 gameplay and it seems like some doors take a while to open which could be down to loading. Does installing on a SSD make a difference to in game loading times? I have about 80GB free on my SSD which should be enough but if it's how is it on a 5200RPM HDD (it's an old WD Green Drive)?

Anyone getting weird performance, try restarting your pc.
As silly as it sounds, origin did give me a prompt after install to restart and I ignored it.
Performance became a good deal better after rebooting.

Also I haven't installed the latest amd driver yet, so that might give me another boost.

jmaine_ph

Will have some impressions and a 1080p benchmark video (for anyone interested) running on a GTX 1070 FTW / i7 6700k
later today.

Moaradin

If you are playing while downloading the game wait for it to be finished

It was finished. I just tried again and it was running a lot better for some reason. Mostly 60 with some dips to 55 or so.

I was streaming earlier but I turned it off to see if it would run better and it was still running like garbage. Not sure what changed.

JoeMartin

Game doesn't even start for me. I mean the application runs but then I just get a black box that doesn't do anything.

i7-4770k
1080 with newest drivers.

Smokey

I just don't like the feeling with m/kb when the framerate is not at least locked at 60fps. "Low" framerate (50-55) feels better on a controller to me, just a matter of personal preference I guess

I'm actually coming around to KB/M, but it definitely felt weird at first.

Game doesn't even start for me. I mean the application runs but then I just get a black box that doesn't do anything.

i7-4770k

Might sound random, but if you have any Corsair software installed on your machine, uninstall that. I had the same issue last night. I also did a fresh driver wipe/install onto the newest drivers with DDU. You could try both and see what happens.

g859

i7-4770k

If you have Corsair Utility Engine installed, something with it keeps the game from starting. I had to uninstall it completely to get the game to run.

Re: performance -- I was getting 30-50 FPS with the following @ 1440p maxed:

4930k @ 4.3ghz
32GB DDR3
Titan X Maxwell overclocked at +150/+325 x Latest NVIDIA drivers

Definitely not the smoothest experience, though G-Sync helped a bit.

Lower end computer checking in:

8gb Ram
i7 2600k processor (no oc)
Gtx 960

Played 2 hours at 1920 x 1200 on Low settings, got a mostly solid 60 fps. Few random dips here and there. I didn't do anything to resolution scale or tweak any settings. Going to play around with Medium when I get home from work.

Similar setup here:

16GB RAM (1600mhz)
i7 2600k at stock speeds
GTX 970

1080p with all settings at the High default, so temporal AA and HBAO included, running at 50-60 fps but with drops to the high 30s in cutscenes. DA:I had a graphics setting that was exclusive to cutscenes though, adding a whole bunch of over the top DOF effects, and setting that to low merely kept cutscene quality at normal game quality and eliminated the FPS impact that cutscenes had as a result. I'm wondering if Andromeda has the same thing because that'd be a win/win to me.

Kimgaz

Neo Member
Haven't seen anyone testing this with a 7950 so I'll go ahead and ask. Is it worth getting for PC if I have the following specs?

HD7950 3GB
i5 4670K
8GB RAM
1920x1200 monitor and I'd like to play at that resolution

I feel like buying this for the One because my PC is somewhat outdated now and for physical game collecting. After hearing some grueling news about XOne's performance, I'm looking at the PC version. Any experiences with similar specs?

sgs2008

sitting at 40-60 fps with a single titan xp @ 2ghz 16gb Ram and a 4770k @4.2ghz at 4k, Enabling sli doesnt improve performance even when using the bf1 profile (only 60-75% scaling).

Lexxon

I'm deep into Zelda and have the PC physical edition preordered at an obnoxiously low price (thanks Visa Checkout!) so I'm not taking part in the early access. So far it seems like my rig will be pretty happy at high/ultra 1080p @ 60fps, but I was hoping to play it 1440p on my 4k TV (I had no realistic expectations of 4k!)

i7-3770k @ 4.2ghz
GTX 1070
24GB RAM

Hopefully NVidia drops a new driver soon that improves performance at higher res. Ultra @ 1440p close to 60fps would be grand, but I'm tempted to instead try it at 1080p@120hz, since my TV can be forced into that mode.

lazerfox

Can't try it out until saturday.

You guys think I'll get a stable 60FPS on high settings at 2560x1600 with:

i7-4770k
Msi GTX 1070
16GB DDR3

People seem to get very different performances with the 1070 so I'm a bit worried.

JoeMartin

I'm actually coming around to KB/M, but it definitely felt weird at first.

Might sound random, but if you have any Corsair software installed on your machine, uninstall that. I had the same issue last night. I also did a fresh driver wipe/install onto the newest drivers with DDU. You could try both and see what happens.

If you have Corsair Utility Engine installed, something with it keeps the game from starting. I had to uninstall it completely to get the game to run.

Re: performance -- I was getting 30-50 FPS with the following @ 1440p maxed:

4930k @ 4.3ghz
32GB DDR3
Titan X Maxwell overclocked at +150/+325 x Latest NVIDIA drivers

Definitely not the smoothest experience, though G-Sync helped a bit.

I do in fact have a corsair M65.

I uninstalled MEA and am currently in the process of reinstalling on a different drive but I'll try that when it's done, thanks.

970 viable @ 1080p?

Not sure if it gets more demanding than the first mission but I've locked it to 40 fps and everything on ultra with the exception of textures and shadows which are on high. It stutters once you first start the game for a bit but then its stable. You could probably go higher if you stick to high preset.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Frostbite 3 on my hardware makes absolutely no sense.

In both Battlefield 1 and now Andromeda I get this obscure bug where very specific shaders will have an obviously broken low quality smudge/blur effect in motion. As if the shader is failing to update and synchronise accordingly.

In Battlefield 1 it impacts reflections. And in Andromeda it's on the shroud, as evident in the opening sequences before handing on Habitat 7.

Here's an example of the issue in both.

gifroo3e.gif

masseffectandromedatr25bu8.jpg

The real kicker? TAA. In Battlefield 1 the only way to solve this issue to enable TAA. In the above example it fixes all incidents of this weird shader blur and locks reflections to their actual intended look. Andromeda is the opposite. The issue only occurs on the shroud when TAA is enabled. Turn off TAA and everything is gravy.

What the fuck.
Holy crap I'm having the exactly same issue, also the omnitool looks all goofy too. I thought the way the shroud looked was by design!? When I get home I'll check out messing with TAA.

dEvAnGeL

i7 2600K @ 4.4
980ti
Windows 10 x64
16 gigs of ddr3 ram @ 1600
Game installed on ssd

Resolution: 1080p
Film Grain: off
Chromatic Aberration: off
Resolution Scale: off
Texture Quality: ultra
AA: temporal AA
Ambient Occlusion: HBAO
Post Process: high
Texture Filtering: ultra
Lightning Quality: ultra
Shadows Quality: high
Effects Quality: high
Mesh Quality: ultra
Shader Quality: high
Terrain Quality: ultra
Vegetation Quality: ultra

Rock solid 60 except on cutscenes, it drops to around 55 frames sometimes when to many characters on cutscene, already playing on the planet and have gotten in to a few gunfights and the frame is stable, when i use resolution scale at 1.25 the frame is still stable during gameplay but in cutscenes it tanks to the high 40s, so far better than i expected for my rig to be honest.

nOoblet16

Not sure if it gets more demanding than the first mission but I've locked it to 40 fps and everything on ultra with the exception of textures and shadows which are on high. It stutters once you first start the game for a bit but then its stable. You could probably go higher if you stick to high preset.
Why would you lock it at 40? Unless you have a Gsync monitor.

By the way, I have a 970 and play at 1080, I've got some settings on ultra, some on high, and some on medium and I was getting 70+ fps on the first planet, definitely not dipping below 60 in combat.

Can't remember which is which but I think the settings that require a game reset are at medium, everything high+.

Noice. What processor do you have? I have a 970 and an i7 2600 and I was hoping to get a solid 30 fips at 1080 peas.

JMY86

The game runs and looks great has not dropped below 60 fps yet. I played through Habitat 7 mission and just got to the Nexus.

1920x1080 all graphics settings on high

4790k @ 4.0Ghz
16 gb ram
GTX 970

EDIT: I started walking around in the Nexus and I am dropping to the low 50s in some parts of the Nexus.

DZ_b_EZ

Anyone running core i5, with a Radeon Fury Nano, 16 gigs of ram, at 1080p??

Hopefully when it launches this will be easy and smooth with AMD GPUs.

Dave_6

I didn't get to try out the trial until late and I was very tired with a headache but I still wanted to give it a go before bed. My PC is lacking but what the heck:

3570K@4.4
8 gigs of RAM
Gigabyte 970 with a small OC
Game is installed on my HD
Windows 10
1440p G-Sync

First had a warning that I wasn't on the latest GPU drivers so I used DDU and then got the newest drivers. I did not uninstall the Corsair software, but it wasn't running and I didn't have the black screen issue so that was good. I just let the game auto detect and it looked to set most settings to high. I never actually got to 'play' the game though; had a hard freeze in the opening when the doctor is talking with Ryder. I had to run task manager twice to get it closed out. I just went to bed after that and I'll try it again tonight.

Not sure if the freeze was caused by the lack of memory in my PC or what. I usually leave my sim racing wheel and pedals plugged up and it's hard to tell sometimes if they cause issues (Rise of the Tomb Raider crashes is they are both plugged up).

nOoblet16

The game runs and looks great has not dropped below 60 fps yet. I played through Habitat 7 mission and just got to the Nexus.

4790k @ 4.0Ghz
16 gb ram
GTX 970

I'm not sure how your machine is managing that tbh. I have a 780Ti which is slightly better than your card but I don't get even close to "60FPS without drop" even when I turn down everything except textures/filtering/post process/shaders to medium.

When in Nexus I get mostly 60 with drops to 50 in big areas, but Habitat 7 was like everything from 40 to 60.

saskuatch

i7 2600K @ 4.4
980ti
Windows 10 x64
16 gigs of ddr3 ram @ 1600
Game installed on ssd

Film Grain: off
Chromatic Aberration: off
Resolution Scale: off
Texture Quality: ultra
AA: temporal AA
Ambient Occlusion: HBAO
Post Process: high
Texture Filtering: ultra
Lightning Quality: ultra
Shadows Quality: high
Effects Quality: high
Mesh Quality: ultra
Shader Quality: high
Terrain Quality: ultra
Vegetation Quality: ultra

Rock solid 60 except on cutscenes, it drops to around 55 frames sometimes when to many characters on cutscene, already playing on the planet and have gotten in to a few gunfights and the frame is stable, when i use resolution scale at 1.25 the frame is still stable during gameplay but in cutscenes it tanks to the high 40s, so far better than i expected for my rig to be honest.

What resolution are you playing at, I have a similar rig except with a 4790k

dragn

4790k @ 4.0Ghz
16 gb ram
GTX 970
how can i only get 30-40 fps with a 390 and 6700k? even with 720p res scale i dont get 60 on the first planet

N7.Angel

4790k @ 4.0Ghz
16 gb ram
GTX 970

Really ? Surprising, I have drops with almost the same rigs as you but stronger ( GTX980 ) are you sure you're on high settings and don't suffered from drops ?

nOoblet16

He might have the dynamic resolution scaler on to 900P. I ended up doing that by mistake while I was fiddling around with the setting and didn't realise it either for a bit, and was surprised that I was getting perfect 60FPS in Nexus.

Top Bottom