• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Fans Donate $80,000 to Charity to Help Change the Ending of Mass Effect 3

Jarmel

Banned
Fans of the Mass Effect Franchise recently donated $80,000 in a two week timespan to help increase awareness about a movement to help change the ending of Mass Effect 3.

Here is an article by Kotaku which talks about the movement so you don't have to give Kotaku clicks.

There is a group of people on the internet asking for changes be made to the way Mass Effect 3 ended. They are serious. They are so serious, in fact, that they've attached themselves to the Child's Play charity in the hope this makes them appear less "angry or entitled".

It doesn't work, of course, but bless them for trying.
The group, called "Retake Mass Effect", has a mission statement, which while acknowledging "it is the right of the writers and developers of the Mass Effect series to end that series however they see fit", very quickly goes on to "respectfully request additional endings be added", including "a heroic ending which provides a better sense of accomplishment".

There's a very big line to cross between being disappointed in the creative work of others and actively asking for it to be changed (or added to) to suit your own wishes. It never ceases to amaze me how often people don't see it.

Complain all you want about how a game ends, be as disappointed as your heart can humanly take, but don't ever start asking for story-telling by focus group. If you think game plots are bad now, wait until you see that dark future.

Source:http://kotaku.com/5893119/charitabl...-the-right-to-demand-changes-to-mass-effect-3

Here is another article by Destructoid where instead of atleast talking about the donations in a neutral manner, it's instead in a condescending and hostile tone.

The arrogantly named "Retake Mass Effect" group has decided to offset the public bitching by raising some money for Child's Play, which fans are now cynically using to deflect criticism. I know this because Destructoid's tips line was spammed by emails from Mass Effect fans demanding we write about it for that very purpose.

Well ... here you are. Here's the story "proving" you're not entitled, which you earned by sending us emails implying you were entitled to it.

The group -- which was founded on the principle that Mass Effect 3's ending ruined an entire game series and undid all the fun everyone had -- raised over $26,000 for Child's Play in under 24 hours. It would've been more, but members were too busy seeking a public pat on the head for it.

So here's your post, which you wanted to offset what one tipster called our, "bashing the Mass Effect community through one-sided, poorly researched articles." Hopefully the undeniable positivity in this story will make you all feel better like the precious eggshell princes you are.

Source:http://www.destructoid.com/raging-mass-effect-3-fans-do-something-for-charity-223811.phtml

The tone from the gaming media and gaming 'journalists' has been relatively hostile even though fans have been putting their money where their mouths are instead of just an online petition. The charity drive has ended due to complaints it seems from Child's Play.

As of today, I have set an end goal for our fundraiser at $80,000.

The very idea that we would even be able to reach that goal was a fever dream only a week ago. I don't believe anyone can or should consider this effort to have been anything but spectacularly successful. As evidenced by the statement from Dr. Myzuka yesterday, we have made our voices heard. Those of you here have taken special care to be heard in a polite, positive manner, and I believe that this is a major contributor to that success.

We have shown our sincerity and passion. We have brought positive attention to the Retake Mass Effect movement.

Make no mistake. This effort has been victorious.

I have been in contact with a manager at Child's Play. First, he wanted to stress how grateful they were for our efforts here, and the huge impact it will have in helping the charity. However, he pointed out that several sources are incorrectly assuming a link between the charity and the petition, or outright support of the petition by the charity. This has been a source of difficulty for them, and it has been requested that we wind this effort down. Again, I want to stress that the charity is not unhappy with our work, they are exceptionally pleased with what we have accomplished.

There will be conspiracy theorys regarding this. Many of the public statements by Penny Arcade have been dismissive or outright derogatory of our effort. I believe this is a failure on their part to understand our issues, but they are entitled to their opinion. Regardless, I want to stress that I do not believe for one second that this is an attempt by anyone at Penny Arcade to silence this movement.

I also want you all to know I am acting unilaterally in this decision. I have been provided many eloquent arguments against winding down the drive and I appreciate them. In the end, however, I believe that now is the time for this phase of the process to come to an close.

Retake Mass Effect is not over by any means; Dr. Myzuka's statement was welcome, but did not directly address our concerns. You have been heard. Now it is time to make sure they get the details right :)

I will be taking a break from BSN for a time. My sincerest thanks to everyone who has supported this effort whether through donations, publicity, or kind words. Special thanks to the core group here who kept this thread polite, positive, and on track.

I hope to soon have an archive of the comments made on the ChipIn page located at www.wewillholdtheline.org.

To everyone here - my thanks, and I salute you.

Sincerely,

Robb

Link to larger movement as the Child's Play charity page has gone down:
http://www.facebook.com/DemandABetterEndingToMassEffect3

997.jpg

Azure J

Holy shit, did this ending give people cancer or something? I don't know anything about the series, but this incident is pretty much making me interested in knowing what's up. :lol

Erethian

I'm starting to think certain gaming media websites are more upset by the people complaining about the ME3 ending, than said people are upset at the ending.

Zen

Banned
Oh, FFS. I've never seen such whining by the dudebro set.

Well deserved complaining, more like it and 80k for charity is a good thing.
Anyone who generalizes the detractors as entitled or whatever, is a buffoon that has, at best, a shaky grasp on the situation.

Holy shit, did this ending give people cancer or something? I don't know anything about the series, but this incident is pretty much making me interested in knowing what's up. :lol

I know right? At this point it's making me think any publicity is good publicity because I've never played a ME game outside the demos and now I kinda want to just to see what the big deal is.

Replicant

I'm starting to think certain gaming media websites are more upset by the people complaining about the ME3 ending, than said people are upset at the ending.

That's probably because it's the only thing they can come up with for an 'original article' at the moment. What else are these hacks going to write?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Yes, yes it did. The ending is so bad it ruins the series.
The series was already bad when choices in ME1 (sup, Wrex) didn't matter at all outside of LOL E-MAILS in ME2. More people are starting to wake-up to Biowares shit though, so that's a good thing.

Anyone care to post a summary (with spoiler tags of course) of this horrible ending? Just in general terms the thing that makes it so bad? All this hullabaloo has my interest piqued, though not enough to play through 3 ME games.

edit: Nevermind I got the gist of it online.

d0c_zaius

Good hope this teaches developers a lesson.

not sure if serious

o_0

The series was already bad when choices in ME1 (sup, Wrex) didn't matter at all outside of LOL E-MAILS in ME2. More people are starting to wake-up to Biowares shit though, so that's a good thing.

While I dont think the series is bad, I do agree the endings have always been poor and some of the significant choices of previous games are treated as nothing in the next game.

DTKT

I'm all for the maximum number of hyperboles but this is just silly.

Yes, the ending is bad, yes it's doesn't make any sense and goes against everything ME is about. But it doesn't "ruin" a series. Every single moment from ME1-ME2 and ME3 are still great.

Let's be serious here.

Have you seen the ME3 spoilers threads? These are 2 OTs of whining.

I will fight you.

- J - D -

No one wins in this scenario except the charity where these moneys are going.

Bioware - lose/lose scenario
Crazed fans - lose/lose scenario.

Defuser

Man,first time I ever seen a game where it got backlash to oblivion. It has to be really something to garner such mega negative reaction.

I am sure a huge portion of these people are jumping a bandwagon, and about 20% (at most) saw the end of the game, with even less angry enough to actually complain/donate.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Charitable Donations Don’t Give you the Right to Ask For Changes to Mass Effect 3 [Update]

Note: This post contains mild spoilers

There is a group of people on the internet asking for changes be made to the way Mass Effect 3 ended. They are serious. They are so serious, in fact, that they've attached themselves to the Child's Play charity in the hope this makes them appear less "angry or entitled".

http://kotaku.com/5893119/charitabl...-the-right-to-demand-changes-to-mass-effect-3

Why I’m Glad BioWare Might Change Mass Effect 3’s Ending For the Fans

What we can decide today is the limit of how flexible we want the people who make our games to be. Do we want patches and updates? Do we want multiplayer tweaks? Do we want improved graphics? Do we want new quests? Do we want them to let us romance a character they didn't initially let us romance? Do we want them to let us play an alternate ending? When do we want game developers to listen to us? And when do we want them to refuse to react?

I think people want to know that the thing they've played is the thing. They want to know they played the Mass Effect 3 that counts, the one that was intended, the one that may have been hard to swallow but was seasoned that way intentionally.

I believe that the Mass Effect 3 that BioWare wants us to play is a changing creation, something that is more organic than The Sopranos, Lost or the Mona Lisa—something that's more ephemeral, that doesn't exist just at one moment in one way but has had its own life and experienced its own changes.

http://kotaku.com/5895369/why-im-glad-bioware-might-change-mass-effect-3s-ending-for-the-fans

definition of insanity from kotaku.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

To be fair the spoiler thread is basically the OT once you beat the game so people can just talk about everything in general without tags. It's not really straight up 20K+ of pure ending talk.

d0c_zaius

Yes, the ending is bad, yes it's doesn't make any sense and goes against everything ME is about. But it doesn't "ruin" a series. Every single moment from ME1-ME2 and ME3 are still great.

Let's be serious here.

^gets it

This is the Occupy Generation, I guess.

I take it watching said ending on YouTube won't really give the real story if I haven't played any of the game, eh?

Erethian

I didn't say that people weren't whining, just that the righteous indignation and feeling the need to protect Bioware's artistic vision/honor/whatever is getting a bit over the top.

Bioware's a big boy, they can stand up for themselves without needing gaming media websites going in to bat for them.

Derrick01

Banned

Well if whining is breaking every part of the ending and lore down to analyze it and discuss why the ending pisses all over their own established lore, then yeah we've done a lot of whining.

It's more like a support group because every day or two we get more people who just finished entering and going WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!!!?!??!.

Jarmel

Banned
I am sure a huge portion of these people are jumping a bandwagon, and about 20% (at most) saw the end of the game, with even less angry enough to actually complain/donate.

There's a poll of roughly 60,000 people where 97% of people want the ending changed to some extent. While it's not a simple random sample as most of the voters are self selecting, I think the poll is still a good indicator where the masses fall on the issue. Normally you might say there is a silent or apathetic majority that approve the ending however in this case I think it's rather the opposite in that there are more people that disapprove of the ending but don't care enough to be vocal about it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I wanna go home.
Take off this uniform.
And leave the show.
And I'm waiting in this cell.
Because I have to know.
Have I been guilty all this time ?

J@hranimo

Banned
Damn. I've never played these games and yet, there's such a gripe for a video game ending.

I gotta understand this. Why isn't there some youtube video hat explains the whole thing?

Charitable Donations Don’t Give you the Right to Ask For Changes to Mass Effect 3 [Update]

Note: This post contains mild spoilers

http://kotaku.com/5893119/charitabl...-the-right-to-demand-changes-to-mass-effect-3

Why I’m Glad BioWare Might Change Mass Effect 3’s Ending For the Fans

What we can decide today is the limit of how flexible we want the people who make our games to be. Do we want patches and updates? Do we want multiplayer tweaks? Do we want improved graphics? Do we want new quests? Do we want them to let us romance a character they didn't initially let us romance? Do we want them to let us play an alternate ending? When do we want game developers to listen to us? And when do we want them to refuse to react?

I think people want to know that the thing they've played is the thing. They want to know they played the Mass Effect 3 that counts, the one that was intended, the one that may have been hard to swallow but was seasoned that way intentionally.

I believe that the Mass Effect 3 that BioWare wants us to play is a changing creation, something that is more organic than The Sopranos, Lost or the Mona Lisa—something that's more ephemeral, that doesn't exist just at one moment in one way but has had its own life and experienced its own changes.

http://kotaku.com/5895369/why-im-glad-bioware-might-change-mass-effect-3s-ending-for-the-fans

definition of insanity from kotaku.

To be fair, it's 2 different writers. They're allowed to have different opinions.

sTeLioSco

Banned

Let's be serious here.

tell me a great moment that in the end,had any impact?

Vamphuntr

And after all this Bioware will try to make a game not for their fans but for the casuals. This proves that their die hard fans are dedicated to their games.

Top Bottom