• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Fans Donate $80,000 to Charity to Help Change the Ending of Mass Effect 3

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Holy shit this is hilarious

EDIT: For those asking about the ending: without posting spoilers it pretty much provides absolutely zero closure for any of the plotlines or characters that people have gotten invested in over the last six years and it ends with a choice and a series of consequences that are basically unaffected by the cumulative choices you've been investing in the series so far. Mass Effect 2's ending did a comparatively amazing job of that exact thing even if it was seemingly arbitrary at points.

Shepard

Well if whining is breaking every part of the ending and lore down to analyze it and discuss why the ending pisses all over their own established lore, then yeah we've done a lot of whining.

It's more like a support group because every day or two we get more people who just finished entering and going WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!!!?!??!.
I've been there long enough to know that this happened in the beginning/middle of OT1, it became a mess later.
I didn't say that people weren't whining, just that the righteous indignation and feeling the need to protect Bioware's artistic vision/honor/whatever is getting a bit over the top.
Read the thread title again. Over the top, you say?
I will fight you.

I gave up :\

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm all for the maximum number of hyperboles but this is just silly.

Yes, the ending is bad, yes it's doesn't make any sense and goes against everything ME is about. But it doesn't "ruin" a series. Every single moment from ME1-ME2 and ME3 are still great.

Let's be serious here.

Okay, since we're being serious here: It did ruin the series for many people. Why the hell do you think people are bitching about it? Why do you think there is two |OT| continuations in the spoiler thread? Because people are bitching about the ending because it IS terrible and they feel like their choices didn't matter
(WAKE UP THEY NEVER DID! ME2 SHOWED THIS! ARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARARGH)

Most people hate the fact that all the endings are similar. Not the downer ending that most article writers think people are bitching about.

Anth0ny

HOLY SHIT

did this ending kill everyone's dog or something? It's making me want to play a Mass Effect game...

...nah fuck that.

It pretty much is.

We do talk an awful lot about the ending though :p.

People asking for explanations will understand very little without the context of the actual game. It just does a lot of things very wrong. I can say that my greatest gripe with the ending is it does things to the universe that leaves mostly prequels open and the developers have said as much about that being the case. I don't understand why you would just lock off your series like that it makes very little sense to me.

Man, some people are really touchy about this. Sorry you didn't get what you wanted.

HOLY SHIT

did this ending kill everyone's dog or something? It's making me want to play a Mass Effect game...

...nah fuck that.
It's funny the people that fart out these types of posts 9 times out of 10 haven't played the game.

Have you seen the Bioware forums?
There is so much talk about this pair, and that pair, that pretty much disqualify them from being called dudebros.

The only romance for a dudebro is a bromance, brah.
Seriously, there is nothing 'dudebro' about this, both the controversy and Mass Effect in general. It's not a dudebro game.

Yes, the ending is bad, yes it's doesn't make any sense and goes against everything ME is about. But it doesn't "ruin" a series. Every single moment from ME1-ME2 and ME3 are still great.

Let's be serious here.
I don't know. I've only played the first game, but reading about the ending doesn't make me want to bother with the rest of the series. Then again, the writing in first game alone doesn't make me want to bother with the rest of the series.

RDreamer

At what point do some of you settle down for a bit and wait to see what Bioware actually does? It takes a bit of time to do these things, and they said they're going to do something about it. There'll likely be some sort of explanation at the very least or DLC at the very most. Chill out, breathe a little, and wait and see.

That said, I suppose I can't complain about people needing to chill out if them not chilling out means charity gets money. So, I suppose, whatever. Have fun :p

I don't know. I've only played the first game, but reading about the ending doesn't make me want to bother with the rest of the series.

Really? I mean the other 2 games are pretty great. Literally 90% of ME3 is an absolutely astounding game. I mean it does have some flaws here and there, but the rest of the story throughout the game is really top notch, and so is the gameplay, in my opinion.

Is nobody else upset that, largely because of the hostility of the gaming media that a charity is effectively saying no thanks to tens of thousands of dollars in donations?

Bioware doesn't have to do anything. They put out a piece of shit, the vast majority of people hate it. A lot of people want and have asked them to fix it. A very small minority have decided to vent their displeasure by giving money to a cause related to something they are interested in.

But that Charity has apparently gotten so much hate from people who think Bioware's Artistic integrity is some untouchable thing that they are saying fuck it, we're out. I ask again, is it the fans who are entitled here?

Let's be serious here.

Inception.

cost: 10 bucks, 2 hours.

ending returns: fury of all

Mass Effect

cost: 200+ bucks on all games and DLC day one, 150+ hours

ending returns: "it's fucking nothing" / gamers are entitled

Seriously, there is something very wrong with how people and the 'critics' deal with actual legit criticism.
Hell, Bethesda changed the ending to Fallout 3 and that wasn't nearly as bad as the ME3 ending.

Unless you want to tell me that having fucking telephone boxes in 2186 is saying "we care" to your fanbase.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Was at $70 000 a few days ago.

To anyone who's just calling it whining or difference of opinion, you have to actually play the game (and not just watch the ending) to understand how bad it really is. You simply don't know at all how bad is or why there is universal uproar without this context. I don't support this craziness though, but hey as long as this craziness is channeled into something positive then let these psychos go to town.

bigace33

All of these so called gaming sites that have been thumbing their noses, and degrading gamers should really get a lot of backlash after this fiasco is over. I mean, who do they think supports them and their biased sites? I have lost a ton of respect for them because of their dishonest reporting and snide remarks. I'll not be supporting many of them anymore.

Jarmel

Banned
Is nobody else upset that, largely because of the hostility of the gaming media that a charity is effectively saying no thanks to tends of thousands of dollars in donations?

Bioware doesn't have to do anything. They put out a piece of shit, the vast majority of people hate it. A lot of people want and have asked them to fix it. A very small minority have decided to vent their displeasure by giving money to a cause related to something they are interested in.

But that Charity has apparently gotten so much hate from people who think Bioware's Artistic integrity is some untouchable thing that they are saying fuck it, we're out. I ask again, is it the fans who are entitled here?

That was mainly why I created the thread. It's mindblowing that a charity wouldn't want any more money.

hamchan

This is pretty awesome. No matter what insults people and journalists have thrown at them, the fan base has at least show it's willing to throw money to a great cause to make themselves heard. It's really hard to criticize this without looking like a dick but it'll be interesting to see people try.

At what point do some of you settle down for a bit and wait to see what Bioware actually does? It takes a bit of time to do these things, and they said they're going to do something about it. There'll likely be some sort of explanation at the very least or DLC at the very most. Chill out, breathe a little, and wait and see.

That said, I suppose I can't complain about people needing to chill out if them not chilling out means charity gets money. So, I suppose, whatever. Have fun :p

Well, people can't donate to the charity anymore, at least through RetakeME3 drive as, Child's Play is no longer taking donations from it. Due to hate mail form people thinking that Child's Play supported or was affiliated with the movement, which simply isn't the case.

dudebro entitled whiners

Seriously you need to go look at the Bioware forums dudebro is no the word I would ever use to describe their audience or pandering towards. Its a community that has fanart where the female Main character is pregnant with the child of a space alien that looks a bit like a featherless chicken. I don't know about you, but that doesn't scream dudebro to me.

MC Safety

It's a good thing. $80k for charity is wonderful.

Yet the charity doesn't want to be associated with the movement.

And $80,000 worth of toys for sick children is certainly a noble endeavor. But I suspect the parents would rather see a portion (or all) of that money go to a charitable organization that directly funds research into cures or less invasive treatments for these illnesses.

d0c_zaius

Someone start a cause to "fix" MGS2 and 4.

I'll donate.

and of course the money going to charity is a good thing. There are not good things happening because of this though.

This is pretty awesome. No matter what insults people and journalists have thrown at them, the fan base has at least show it's willing to throw money to a great cause to make themselves heard. It's really hard to criticize this without looking like a dick but it'll be interesting to see people try.

Um, see post 1. Especially Destructoid. What fucking hostility, and based on what? Violation of Gamers code? Get real journalists, do real reviews, or shut the fuck up entitled "journalists"

I can't stop giving clicks I never gave before, though.

survivor

Banned
Holy fuck why is that Destructoid article so awful? Gaming journalism is such a fucking joke. Why is it so hard to find websites that cover an event like this without looking like they are corporate shills who are afraid of making their masters angry?

Good thing I got my info about the ME3 ending from GAF.

I don't get why people are so irrate against these guys.

They/I'm upset that their (possibly) favorite series has been diminished by an atrocious ending (made by 1-2 guys, not the team) and they are upset/want their thoughts heard. So they raise money in protest. Isn't this the best thing? Instead of gathering up support to stone the developers homes? I wish more protests like this took place...

Holy fuck why is that Destructoid article so awful? Gaming journalism is such a fucking joke. Why is it so hard to find websites that cover an event like this without looking like they are corporate shills who are afraid of making their masters angry?

Game journalism has always been quite odd and a joke. But lately it's been getting worse, I'm not sure why -- maybe they feel they aren't being heard as much, so they have to keep up the absurdity?

550805_10150635148227263_615947262_9420297_1193831882_n.jpg

RDreamer

Well, people can't donate to the charity anymore, at least through RetakeME3 drive as, Child's Play is no longer taking donations from it. Due to hate mail form people thinking that Child's Play supported or was affiliated with the movement, which simply isn't the case.

There's nothing said about hate mail. They're just getting people that are confusing the drive as something officially sanctioned by Child's Play, which is a real concern if you're a charity or any business, really. You want to make sure that your official drives remain official and anything unofficial really stresses that it is NOT officially endorsed (or in some cases cannot use your name or logo or likeness). That was not being communicated properly, and so the effort is getting wound down.

Samara

I get it that underneath it all it's for charity, but ffs BSN or whatever just stop it already, everywhere you talk about ME, even a moment of the game "lol ending sucks BW, change it..." As if they have the rights to. My God--

bigace33

Someone start a cause to "fix" MGS2 and 4.

I'll donate.

and of course the money going to charity is a good thing. There are not good things happening because of this though.
MGS4 doesn't need fixing though. The ending was perfect to me. Let me qualify that by saying I have only played all the way through MGS4 and have played bits and pieces of the other games. Sort of like the majority of the people asking what's the problem with the ME3 ending.

Derrick01

Banned

Believe it or not Forbes has been knocking it out of the park with their coverage on this fiasco, even highlighting how awful the "normal" gaming media has been during this.

Eric Hall

Is it ok to hate the ending and still think that the reaction to it is completely ridiculous? Cause that is pretty much what I think. I mean it is wonderful that people are donating to charity, but this whole 'Take Back Mass Effect 3' idea is so ridiculous to me. And Marauder Shields is the worst thing ever.

DTKT

Is it ok to hate the ending and still think that the reaction to it is completely ridiculous? Cause that is pretty much what I think. I mean it is wonderful that people are donating to charity, but this whole 'Take Back Mass Effect 3' idea is so ridiculous to me. And Marauder Shields is the worst thing ever.

That's great! Please elaborate now. Because you aren't really stating why you like it.

hamchan

Marauder Shields is fucking awesome and is the true hero of the series. Also I think the reaction is very ridiculous, but that's not a bad thing. It's lead to $80000 to charity.

Top Bottom