• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Fans Donate $80,000 to Charity to Help Change the Ending of Mass Effect 3

Wiggum2007

Why is it okay for gamers to call for a patch to make overhauls to a multiplayer game (and developers often respond with changes based on gamer feedback), but calling for a change to a poor ending gets them vilified?

Believe it or not Forbes has been knocking it out of the park with their coverage on this fiasco, even highlighting how awful the "normal" gaming media has been during this.

Forbes trolling the shit out of the gaming media:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/22/is-bioware-setting-a-dangerous-precedent-by-considering-alternative-endings/?utm_source=alertsnewpost&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20120322

7FdlK.png

Journalist gets butt hurt when he is called out. Also didn't consult the person he was talking about before he published his fan bashing article.

Vamphuntr

I wonder if IGN could also throw 80K into the pot? If you want to spit on the fans and call them entitled whiners then show them you can also contribute to good cause instead of simply making vitriolic attacks.

It's an awkward event to raise money for a charity because the ending of a game sucked but at least you raise money for sick children. On the other hand, the gaming "journalists" are whining on twitter and their websites but they aren't contributing to anything except siding with companies so they get their review codes, exclusives and their own Chobot in a game.

One is at least helping to something constructive.

Hey guys, instead of just venting, let's channel that venting into something positive and donate to charity.

*Raises 80k dollars*

Games Media in turn spins it negatively.

survivor

Banned
It is great $80K has been donated but aren't people donating for the wrong reasons?
Does it really matter?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/22/is-bioware-setting-a-dangerous-precedent-by-considering-alternative-endings/?utm_source=alertsnewpost&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20120322

7FdlK.png

Journalist gets butt hurt when he is called out. Also didn't consult the person he was talking about before he published his fan bashing article.

Journalism 101: You don't work at IGN

Derrick01

Banned
Why is it okay for gamers to call for a patch to make overhauls to a multiplayer game (and developers often respond with changes based on gamer feedback), but calling for a change to a poor ending gets them vilified?

Their balance issues were just part of the developers original vision, you just don't get it! Stop being so entitled and demanding them to sacrifice their artistic integrity!

People think the ending is so bad they ask for additional endings.

Bioware releases tons of DLC that they charge money for.

I'm not even seeing how these things are at cross purposes, I'm sure Bioware will be happy to oblige for 10$ a person.

I'm not seeing how this is entitled behavior, this thing is clearly a product and not "art," when people dislike a product they ask for it to be improved.

What am I Ebert? wtf and I saying?

hamchan

Even though the fundraiser guy says Penny Arcade has nothing to do with the charity drive winding down I'd like to believe they did have something to do with it, because it makes sense. They certainly do look very very bad shitting on a bunch of people who just donated $80,000 to their charity.

Like seriously how are the donaters the joke here and not the press who are trying so hard to say "No guys, you can't raise money because artistic integrity, fuck you fanboys"

I get it that underneath it all it's for charity, but ffs BSN or whatever just stop it already, everywhere you talk about ME, even a moment of the game "lol ending sucks BW, change it..." As if they have the rights to. My God--

Well, that's the thing. Bioware's co-founder validated their decision (of the project leads) by suggesting they have a right to their "artistic integrity". Yet, if we assume that this is true, than that would mean they have all the right in the world to change their ending, as any artist would change their work if it didn't have the intended effect.
Books get rewritten, painting get remade, whole buildings get (last minute) alterations. There is absolutely nothing preventing an artist from changing his own work.

Unless of course, we have to assume (correctly) that they cannot, as the publisher has the final say in all this. And then it's just a long 'not saying what needs to be said'. Either they can change it or they can't. The answer will be what it is.

The deeply disturbing aspect of all this is it is basically a PR trench war, where the consumer is left in the dark, and the publisher / developer refuses to man the fuck up and say it already. The PR aspect is then blown to full nuclear war by "critics" or "gaming journalist" who prove themselves to be nothing more than mouthpieces or just dumb fucks who really couldn't get a better job.

I'm not sure which is more depressing. And on the bright side, Bioware has actually commented to they will add further 'elaboration' to the ending, but that won't change that it doesn't make a lick of sense. Either that sense is added, or it remains a terrible ending. For any medium btw. If this was a movie or book it would be just as rubbish.

edit: and it is not related to the charity rally, which was just to make a point. 80.000 bucks were donated just to make that point. I would call that a good day for everyone.

K.Sabot

Believe it or not Forbes has been knocking it out of the park with their coverage on this fiasco, even highlighting how awful the "normal" gaming media has been during this.

The only person looking good out of all of this is Erik Kain, and those who gave to charity.

Wildesy

What an awful post. This has nothing to do with that dreadful meme, nor is it "whining".

It's undeniably whining. Although the guy quoted in the OP, who I'm assuming is the leader of this cause, was reasonably measured in his address and came across quite well. But yeah, it's ultimately just a shit ton of whinging and crying.

Surely a rewrite to the ending would be pretty bloody hollow at this point wouldn't it? Just cop it on the chin and move on, just like you have to with pretty much any other form of media or entertainment.

Use your imagination and conjure up something if you don't like the ending that much. Or donate 80k to charity and hope that fills the void.

Dany

Banned
There is never a wrong reason to donate to charity.

People are donating money because they are angry and they want a company to change its story.

The level of reaction about the ending is unprecedented and people feel like they can demand change...which, I feel like is a crazy concept. I can say I dislike the ending and that it sucked but I'm not going to ask/demand them to change it. EDIT: I take that back, fans demand a lot of things, all the time but as soon as bioware reacted, it changes everything

That is where this 'retake ME3" just seems crazy, that giving money to a charity showcases that fans cares and that they are worth listening too.

I just don't know.

Eric Hall

Sorry, I meant regarding the reaction.

I mean I can see where people are coming from with their reactions to the ending. I have played through all 3 games and the DLC. But even after finishing the game, I never felt compelled to do anything like this and demand a new ending. Again, I think it is wonderful that people are donating to charity and the gaming media's reaction towards it is offensive, but I just can't wrap my head around the reaction to this. I have gotten mad and upset at videogames but never to the point like some people have here. The concept just seems so foreign and weird to me I guess. But to each their own I suppose.

Lothars

Okay, since we're being serious here: It did ruin the series for many people. Why the hell do you think people are bitching about it? Why do you think there is two |OT| continuations in the spoiler thread? Because people are bitching about the ending because it IS terrible and they feel like their choices didn't matter
(WAKE UP THEY NEVER DID! ME2 SHOWED THIS! ARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARGHARARGH)

Most people hate the fact that all the endings are similar. Not the downer ending that most article writers think people are bitching about.
I think the main thing is because it didn't have closure and I think alot will determine what happens next with the dlc and such but also the fact people like to complain about Mass Effect and Bioware in general, I totally think it's an incredible overreaction to say that it ruin the series for many people, for some people I could see but the majority I doubt it.

Tajin

Banned

7FdlK.png

My god. Erik Kain has more journalistic integrity in his pinky than Moriarty has in his whole body. That's absolutely brutal.

Allowing editors of our journalism organization to enter video games as characters. Journalism 101.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

This was the first thought that came to me as well. The difference between this and say, the changes in Star Wars, is that Star Wars fans never asked Lucas to changed the movies from their original version. Here is an instance where I see people asking for a better ending. Not because they demand a happier ending, but rather one that's more coherent. Especially considering how much time people have sunk into these games, I can appreciate that.

Some of them are kind of annoying about it though.

People are donating money because they are angry and they want a company to change its story.

The level of reaction about the ending is unprecedented and people feel like they can demand change...which, I feel like is a crazy concept. I can say I dislike the ending and that it sucked but I'm not going to ask/demand them to change it.

That is where this 'retake ME3" just seems crazy, that giving money to a charity showcases that fans cares and that they are worth listening too.

I just don't know.

Do you think the kids receiving the toys, care about the reasoning of the donors?

- J - D -

This "Retake Mass Effect" movement could do without that name. It just sounds aggressive and entitled. The Marauder Shields meme is kinda funny, but it's gonna get old real soon. I wonder how long the fervor will keep up.

Koomaster

Bioware should make a new ending DLC for the game, and charge some extreme amount, like $25-30 for a short new ending cutscene. Announce that 80% of that money will go to charity as well. Everyone wins.

hamchan

The level of reaction about the ending is unprecedented and people feel like they can demand change...which, I feel like is a crazy concept. I can say I dislike the ending and that it sucked but I'm not going to ask/demand them to change it. EDIT: I take that back, fans demand a lot of things, all the time but as soon as bioware reacted, it changes everything

I just don't know.

See, I don't think it's a crazy expectation to want a changed ending or at least an ending DLC that expands on it or an epilogue DLC to provide some closure, of which the current ending provides nearly no closure at all. Developers have been pushing DLC this whole generation where they can add more content or change content after a game is released. Now that the developers have established that precedent themselves it makes sense that fans would be this vocal about wanting something horrible in a game changed, because we actually know it can be changed.

Samara

Well, that's the thing. Bioware's co-founder validated their decision (of the project leads) by suggesting they have a right to their "artistic integrity". Yet, if we assume that this is true, than that would mean they have all the right in the world to change their ending, as any artist would change their work if it didn't have the intended effect.
Books get rewritten, painting get remade, whole buildings get (last minute) alterations. There is absolutely nothing preventing an artist from changing his own work.

Unless of course, we have to assume (correctly) that they cannot, as the publisher has the final say in all this. And then it's just a long 'not saying what needs to be said'. Either they can change it or they can't. The answer will be what it is.

The deeply disturbing aspect of all this is it is basically a PR trench war, where the consumer is left in the dark, and the publisher / developer refuses to man the fuck up and say it already. The PR aspect is then blown to full nuclear war by "critics" or "gaming journalist" who prove themselves to be nothing more than mouthpieces or just dumb fucks who really couldn't get a better job.

I'm not sure which is more depressing. And on the bright side, Bioware has actually commented to they will add further 'elaboration' to the ending, but that won't change that it doesn't make a lick of sense. Either that sense is added, or it remains a terrible ending. For any medium btw. If this was a movie or book it would be just as rubbish.

edit: and it is not related to the charity rally, which was just to make a point. 80.000 bucks were donated just to make that point. I would call that a good day for everyone.

Oh I get it that the ending has a lot of things to be explained, but this whole "This is the way we want it" is just too much. I'm guessing this is all based off the Deception comic where people were unhappy about errors in the universe [with perfect logic to boot] wrote an angry letter and got some change done. But changes to the ending? You can't demand that. They've decided what they wanted and we kind of have to accept it in the end.

Oh I get it that the ending has a lot of things to be explained, but this whole "This is the way we want it" is just too much. I'm guessing this is all based off the Deception comic where people were unhappy about errors in the universe [with perfect logic to boot] but changes to the ending? You can't demand that. They've decided what they wanted and we kind of have to accept it in the end.

The consumer can surely demand, the ending be changed.

J@hranimo

Banned
So I watched that video that TheMan and Dave Inc. posted. This game had some weird continuity problems, but if it enrages people enough to donate money to charity, then by all means go right ahead! I only say that because I don't care so much for the ME series.

hamchan

Oh I get it that the ending has a lot of things to be explained, but this whole "This is the way we want it" is just too much. I'm guessing this is all based off the Deception comic where people were unhappy about errors in the universe [with perfect logic to boot] wrote an angry letter and got some change done. But changes to the ending? You can't demand that. They've decided what they wanted and we kind of have to accept it in the end.

I think people can certainly demand a change to an ending if they're unhappy about it. It's all ultimately up to Bioware whether they want to change it or not. They can not change the ending and lose a huge amount of fans or potential DLC money if they really want to, no one is stopping them.

chris121580

The consumer can surely demand, the ending be changed.
They can demand all they want but I hope it never happens. Since when do gamers have any say in how a storyline concludes? I really hope Bioware doesn't cave because it'll just be bad for the gaming industry as a whole. I do think it's great there's a donation for charity but it's unfortunate it's this cause.

I just don't know.

Um, you are aware that most donations are a tax write off, right?

How is this worse.

I will address entitlement. I am a large hater of the ending. It pissed me off for days. I am no longer actively upset, but I still hate it.

Bioware doesn't have to do anything, just like they didn't have to make the game. I am entitled to refuse to buy further products of theirs. I will not buy future products new unless they fix the ending. Bioware can either say, no we're not going to change it, and that is fine. I have given them the opportunity to try and fix it if they choose. I want them to fix it, I'm not demanding it.

And finally, a game that begs you to buy DLC at the end that will change the game has no ground for relying on artistic integrity to win the argument.

Derrick01

Banned
They can demand all they want but I hope it never happens. Since when do gamers have any say in how a storyline concludes? I really hope Bioware doesn't cave because it'll just be bad for the gaming industry as a whole. I do think it's great there's a donation for charity but it's unfortunate it's this cause.

Since when do gamers have a say in gameplay changes?

Since when do gamers have a say in multiplayer fixes/changes?

I don't know why story is all of a sudden some sacred cow. I thought game stories sucked and weren't worth mentioning?

Top Bottom