• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (PS3) |OT| Shepard's love is not exclusive

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Got From Ashes, started to play. No install is nice? I guess longer load times is why. Is it stream installing? Can't tell. I forgot about playing the Amular: Reckoning demo I played ages ago, got some armor from it. Looks pretty cool. I bet its replaced rather fast though? I can't wait to replace vega. Don't like the character at all. Starting the DLC I'm stumped why this is paid DLC. The lore that I'm getting just from these few scenes is kinda required if you want to know more about the Mass Effect universe.

Yeah, this was the big controversy with ME3 before people saw the original ending. Keep talking to the DLC squadmate in the Normandy, and you'll learn even more. And bringing him during the missions can be interesting too.

Melchiah

There was some stuttering (PS3) when I played that mission but I never had any lock ups. Haven't had any lock ups at all, yet.

It was at times nearly unplayable for me, and loading the game again didn't change a thing.

I just finished the game. It took me about 68 hours (if the in-game timer is to be trusted) as I did all the sidequests, and in retrospect I kinda wish I hadn't, as most them repeated the same formula with Mako rides and same looking bunkers and bases. That's one thing the sequels handled much better. Their sidequests actually had some variety, and interesting story/character aspects.

Not to mention, that the characters and the equipment were at so high level towards the end, that the game was like a walk in the park. Excluding some Mako battles, and gangs of enemies or those with bazookas, I could pretty much storm every battle and not give a damn about being in cover.

I also witnessed another bug during the ending cutscenes, where all the music and sound effects just disappeared, and only the dialogue remained. Had no choice but to boot up the game, and start again from the last checkpoint. This has to be the most bug-ridden game I've ever played (never played any of Bethesda's games on PS3).

That all being said, I loved the game, even its battle system.
Ilos
was my personal highlight, along with the ending. And I can kinda see now how many were disappointed with the sequels, eventhough they handled some things better. All in all, it evoked a certain Babylon 5 nostalgia, and that might be the best compliment to the game, as far as I'm concerned. I think I might have to watch the B5 series through for the 6th time now...

omonimo

Banned
It was at times nearly unplayable for me, and loading the game again didnät change a thing.

I just finished the game. It took me about 68 hours (if the in-game timer is to be trusted) as I did all the sidequests, and in retrospect I kinda wish I hadn't, as most them repeated the same formula with Mako rides and same looking bunkers and bases. That's one thing the sequels handled much better. Their sidequests actually had some variety, and interesting story/character aspects.

Not to mention, that the characters and the equipment were at so high level towards the end, that the game was like a walk in the park. Excluding some Mako battles, and gangs of enemies or those with bazookas, I could pretty much storm every battle and not give a damn about being in cover.

I also witnessed another bug during the ending cutscenes, where all the music and sound effects just disappeared, and only the dialogue remained. Had no choice but to boot up the game, and start again from the last checkpoint. This has to be the most bug-ridden game I've ever played (never played any of Bethesda's games on PS3).

Ilos
was my personal highlight, along with the ending. And I can kinda see now how many were disappointed with the sequels, eventhough they handed some things better. All in all, it evoked a certain B5 nostalgia, and that might be the best compliment to the game, as far as I'm concerned. I think I might have to watch the B5 series through for the 6th time now...
Me too, the first hours were a big obstacle to me, really. But after overtake the lag problems, I figure out this is one of the most beautiful game of this generation.

Bisnic

Me too, the first hours were a big obstacle to me, really. But after overtake the lag problems, I figure out this is one of the most beautiful game of this generation.

Best skyboxes of this generation. A shame the sequels couldn't do something quite as good, although they had some nice ones like
Illium or Palaven's moon.
. Still not enough. Hopefully ME4 will blow us away with its next-gen skyboxes that won't be a simple static 2D background.

Melchiah

Yeah, the
Geth battle in Liara's fetch
mission was brutal. I remember turning the game to easy at that point, when I played it on 360 and PC, but this time I persevered and managed to beat it on normal after a few tries.

It did look good at times.

Ilos
was my personal highlight, along with the ending. And I can kinda see now how many were disappointed with the sequels, eventhough they handled some things better. All in all, it evoked a certain Babylon 5 nostalgia, and that might be the best compliment to the game, as far as I'm concerned. I think I might have to watch the B5 series through for the 6th time now...

That's how I feel as well. Technically-speaking the game is a donkey show, but damn if it doesn't have atmosphere, story and IMO gameplay going for it.

Melchiah

That's how I feel as well. Technically-speaking the game is a donkey show, but damn if it doesn't have atmosphere, story and IMO gameplay going for it.

That particular mission had a certain otherwordly atmosphere, that's not present in the sequels, and their endings seem lackluster in comparison.

That particular mission had a certain otherwordly atmosphere, that's not present in the sequels, and their endings seem lackluster in comparison.

Also, it's one of the very few games I have any desire to go through the in-game codec. You know Bioware spent a lot of time on the codec and it was worth it.

The original Mass Effect's ending is my favorite of this generation. The last 3 or so hours maintains a great climax pacing.

Melchiah

Also, it's one of the very few games I have any desire to go through the in-game codec. You know Bioware spent a lot of time on the codec and it was worth it.

Well, I have to admit that I didn't read all of them that carefully, as it throws so much of them at you in the beginning, that I kinda grew tired of reading them. The same goes for the planet details. But it was the third time I went through the beginning, so that's my excuse. ;)

The original Mass Effect's ending is my favorite of this generation. The last 3 or so hours maintains a great climax pacing.

And the good thing was, that eventhough I had played the sequels first, and watched some of the cutscenes on YouTube, it still was awesome to experience it all.

Melchiah

If I play ME3 multiplayer while playing ME1 single-player, will I find it hard to go back to ME1 with the inferior combat?

It didn't bother me, as I just did the ME3 weekend challenge before I played the last ME1 missions. If anything, ME3 felt odd after playing ME1 several days in a row.

It didn't bother me, as I just did the ME3 weekend challenge before I played the last ME1 missions. If anything, ME3 felt odd after playing ME1 several days in a row.

Cheers. Anyone with a headset wanna give me a hand getting into ME3 multiplayer tomorrow? My ID is the same as my username here :)

Fake edit: Or am I better off waiting until I have some experience with the biotic and special abilities?

Bittercup

I've started this game recently and have a question. Is there a way to farm money?
Not really. Enemies are limited therefore not farmable. There are gambling machines to earn a few credits.
But there isn't really need to farm money. By simply playing all side missions and selling weapons, armour, mods you don't need you reach the credits cap sooner or later and there isn't much worth buying anyway except the spectre weapons.

Cat

Not really. Enemies are limited therefore not farmable. There are gambling machines to earn a few credits.
But there isn't really need to farm money. By simply playing all side missions and selling weapons, armour, mods you don't need you reach the credits cap sooner or later and there isn't much worth buying anyway except the spectre weapons.

Thanks for the response. I usually don't sell things in RPGs and just hang onto everything, but I'll keep that in mind along with what's worth buying.

Bittercup

And the Colossus X & Ursa X armors, the latter for Liara. The Hanar in Citadel's Financial District sells some good but expensive stuff.
Thanks, completely forgot about that and played through the game twice now without the good armour :eek:

Thanks for the response. I usually don't sell things in RPGs and just hang onto everything, but I'll keep that in mind along with what's worth buying.
There is an inventory cap of 150 items. At one time you have to sell :D (or create tons of omni gel)

Dave_6

There is an inventory cap of 150 items. At one time you have to sell :D (or create tons of omni gel)

I've hit the limit twice already and just finished Virmire :D I've already got over 300 omni gel so I guess I need to head back to the Citadel and find one of the better vendors.

I've hit the limit twice already and just finished Virmire :D I've already got over 300 omni gel so I guess I need to head back to the Citadel and find one of the better vendors.

You should have a vendor on your ship. Be sure to buy licenses so he can sell more.

Bisnic

And the good thing was, that eventhough I had played the sequels first, and watched some of the cutscenes on YouTube, it still was awesome to experience it all.

The moment you see the
Conduit and Sovereign starts his attack on the Citadel
, everything goes into awesome mode until you reach the credits.

Dany

Banned
It's the only way to achieve final completion of
the Conrad Verner quest in ME3. He needs the materials, and apparently you've been keeping them around all these years.

It's not anything huge, but it is kind of satisfying from a series perspective.

It doesn't help that Conrad in 2 was bugged.

RPGCrazied

Not feeling the war assests thing. Does this game have side missions? I have yet to find any. I hate the scanning thing now, no mineral hunting? It was the best in the first game when you had to actually land on the planet to get it. I also liked how the planet looked before you landed in the first game. Very up close and cool looking. Now they just look like recolored orbs in space.

Other than scanning, there is no reason to visit a planet if nothing shows up on the scan. Unless you like reading the flavor text. On the plus side, its the best looking Mass Effect, the lightning alone is pretty cool. But sad about no film grain or motion blur filters. :(

Bisnic

Not feeling the war assests thing. Does this game have side missions? I have yet to find any. I hate the scanning thing now, no mineral hunting? It was the best in the first game when you had to actually land on the planet to get it. I also liked how the planet looked before you landed in the first game. Very up close and cool looking. Now they just look like recolored orbs in space.

Other than scanning, there is no reason to visit a planet if nothing shows up on the scan. Unless you like reading the flavor text. On the plus side, its the best looking Mass Effect, the lightning alone is pretty cool. But sad about no film grain or motion blur filters. :(

You get most of the sidequests where you actually land on something from the Normandy, talk with Traynor or check your mails. The sidequests from the Citadel that ask you to go outside are just there to send a probe on a planet.

But you are right, there is less sidequests where you land on a planet/space station than before. But they do last longer at least(well, as long as its not a multiplayer map that made it into the campaign.)

It's difficult to know what counts as a sidequest or main quest sometimes, because you get like 3 or 4 missions during the
Tuchanka
and
Rannoch
storylines that could be skipped if you wanted to.

RPGCrazied

You get most of the sidequests where you actually land on something from the Normandy, talk with Traynor or check your mails. The sidequests from the Citadel that ask you to go outside are just there to send a probe on a planet.

But you are right, there is less sidequests where you land on a planet/space station than before. But they do last longer at least(well, as long as its not a multiplayer map that made it into the campaign.)

It's difficult to know what counts as a sidequest or main quest sometimes, because you get like 3 or 4 missions during the
Tuchanka
and
Rannoch
storylines that could be skipped if you wanted to.

Yeah. I talk to everyone after a mission and check the private terminal. Haven't got to use Javik yet, cause it was still injured or something, but it says it is ready to go now. I hope! Vega is so on the side lines for the rest of the game.

cackhyena

Ya'll are reminding me how much time wasting stuff rpgs have you doing with this ME1 talk. Playing ME 3 with the good DLC and having a blast. Thought about doing a series replay at some point...can't do it. They recognized what people like best about this series and cut out the filler bullshit by 3.

Replicant

I think I'm going to get this but one question:

Does this require full install or can you play it from the disc? Because I have no desire to waste any HD space if it's not necessary. Thanks!

Bittercup

I think I'm going to get this but one question:

Does this require full install or can you play it from the disc? Because I have no desire to waste any HD space if it's not necessary. Thanks!
The first two games have a partial install on PS3.
ME1 requires 4.2GB, ME2 5.3GB, ME3 is the only one unfortunately without an install.

Melchiah

The moment you see the
Conduit and Sovereign starts his attack on the Citadel
, everything goes into awesome mode until you reach the credits.

Definitely! Although, I'd say the awesome mode went on when I arrived in
Ilos. BTW, now that I've played the game I really don't understand all the praise Virmire mission gets. The beginning with the Mako was boring, and the parts with Wrex and Sovereign weren't that great either. The former was over before it even started, and I still find it humorous how Sovereign repeatedly talks about how the Reapers are beyond comprehension, which just sounded like an easy way out for the writer; to write a seemingly imposing dialogue, without actually saying anything about the villain.

Sovereign: Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh, you touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
Sovereign: There is a realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even
imagine it. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Sovereign.
Sovereign: My kind transcends your very understanding. We are each a nation -
independent, free of all weakness. You cannot grasp the nature of our existence.

I dunno if it had felt different, if I had experienced it without seeing it separately on YouTube first.

Thanks, completely forgot about that and played through the game twice now without the good armour :eek:

I managed to get Colossus armor only for Shepard and Garrus. Dunno why those weren't available for the others. There was also some armor for Wrex, but I don't remember its name right now. Titan perhaps?

You guys think the trilogy set will get cheaper anytime soon? I want ME1 but I like owning Physical copies of things. Don't really want to pay $60 for 1 game.

They should of done a single release for ME.

omonimo

Banned
You guys think the trilogy set will get cheaper anytime soon? I want ME1 but I like owning Physical copies of things. Don't really want to pay $60 for 1 game.

I have great doubts ME1 will be released on bluray (like Crysis 1) unfortunately because it costs more money to the company. Same about the whole trilogy, sorry, but I could wrong.

I have great doubts ME1 will be released on bluray (like Crysis 1) unfortunately because will cost more money for the company. Same about the whole trilogy, sorry, but I could wrong.

I hope it does. The digital copy is really cheap but I like having game cases on my shelf. Maby i can get a ps3 case with custom art and use that for the digital copy. Ha.

eot

Banned
Ya'll are reminding me how much time wasting stuff rpgs have you doing with this ME1 talk. Playing ME 3 with the good DLC and having a blast. Thought about doing a series replay at some point...can't do it. They recognized what people like best about this series and cut out the filler bullshit by 3.

That doesn't make any kind of sense. ME1 had horrible combat that people put up with because they enjoyed the RPG parts. ME3 on the other hand is basically all combat and no RPG, and that's not what people liked best all along.

omonimo

Banned
I hope it does. The digital copy is really cheap but I like having game cases on my shelf. Maby i can get a ps3 case with custom art and use that for the digital copy. Ha.

Digital copy save a lot money for the companies, it means no cost for the distribution & production of optical support, this is why I think hardly Bioware will do something like this, without guaranty of great margin of revenues. It's a smart move to have money without big investments. I have waited a long Crysis 1.

oldmario

If you don't mind importing shopto have it for £29.99 (which i think is around $40-45) and each game has its own case but will have to get a uk psn card if you want to get the dlc for 2 and 3

RPGCrazied

Picked up Leviathan. What the hell. I don't like this nickel and diming with DLC, but I really like the ME universe. Even if the ending is sucky like so many thinks it does. Why can't you holster your weapon in 3?

Now all I'm missing is Omega, but thats $15.

Green Yoshi

DF is already up, IGN also posted their review, and this thread has several impressions posted. There's probably a bunch of reviews up by now, the game has been out for a couple of weeks and press sites got early release codes sent to them.

Still plagued by technical issues, from framerate drops to long load times and more

Too bad. I have a really cheap graphics card in my PC (50$ worth in 2010) and Mass Effect 1 runs perfectly on my PC. So why still these technical issues? Every PS3 has a hard drive.

Dave_6

Beat it last night for the first time ever. Yes I was playing on casual as it was first attempt at ME1 so I'm about to start another play through on Normal. I only hit level 37 but I didn't do many side missions at all; does my level carry over the 2nd time?

It takes forever to get to iirc. Level X amps did reduce cooldown a lot. Also I forgot that with the right mods, you can have infinite ammo w/ buffs. GOd, the colossus armor was a beauty So were the berserker armor for wrex. Beastly.

I never saw these armors, well I had a Colossus VII armor for humans but I never saw a Berserker armor. Do they show up the higher my level becomes?

I never saw these armors, well I had a Colossus VII armor for humans but I never saw a Berserker armor. Do they show up the higher my level becomes?

Yeah, they show up at level 60, maybe earlier but I've never seen them.

Wrex gets the Berserker, Battlemaster, and Rage armor, which is what a lot of the tougher krogan enemies you fight wear, they're black with either neon green, blue, or red tubing/lights, respectively. Garrus gets the Phantom armor, which is what Nihilus wears.

All of those armor have slightly less damage protection and shields than Wrex's Heavy Colossus/Garrus' Medium Colossus, but they have much better Tech/Biotic protection.

Nope. PSN is the only way, unless you live in Europe. The EU trilogy set includes separate cases for each game so you might be able to find a used copy of ME floating around somewhere.

Man that looks perfect. :(

I wonder if any sites will sell them individually?

oldmario said:
If you don't mind importing shopto have it for £29.99 (which i think is around $40-45) and each game has its own case but will have to get a uk psn card if you want to get the dlc for 2 and 3

The DLC is not on disc like the the U.S?

EDIT- I forgot. Who cares. I only need ME1. I already have 2 and 3.

Top Bottom