• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect trilogy remaster ‘scheduled for October release but could slip’, journalist claims

UPDATE:

Mass Effect: Legendary Edition, the purported name for the rumored Mass Effect remaster trilogy including Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3, has slipped from its previously planned October reveal and release to early 2021, according to a VentureBeat report citing “people familiar with the development.”

The main reason for delay is reportedly the original Mass Effect game, which does not live up to the quality of the rest of the package and may make a poor impression on new players who would not go on to experience the upgrades for Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3. These problems are said to come down to both graphics and gameplay.

The report also states that the multiplayer mode from Mass Effect 3 will not be included in the collection, which will be a single-player-only affair. It will, however, reportedly include all of the downloadable content for all three titles.

ORIGINAL:

Electronic Arts has been planning to announce and release a Mass Effect trilogy remaster in October 2020.

That’s according to GamesBeat journalist Jeff Grubb, who made the claim during a podcast on Friday.

While he’s still “pretty confident” EA’s targeting an October release for the unannounced product, Grubb said the publisher’s plans could yet change given the upheaval caused by the coronavirus.

“Up until like this last week, I know the plan for sure was to announce it in early October, release it later in October. So good news.

“Maybe bad news, it’s 2020, maybe that could start to slip, it sounds like maybe that’s a possibility, nothing for sure yet.”

He added: “I know it’s real. I’ve seen more than enough evidence to know it’s real, but it’s still 2020 and they haven’t announced it yet.”

EA has confirmed plans to launch space dogfighting game Star Wars Squadrons, a $40 console and PC title, on October 2.

“I think they were planning to have this Mass Effect trilogy be the other big thing for $60 this holiday, so that’s why I’m still pretty confident it will make it out,” Grubb said, “but with everything else falling apart, like across the board, I could see them also wanting to just delay.

“But that’s not for sure, that’s not a guarantee yet, like that hasn’t even been decided yet, it just seems like it’s a possibility that’s on the table, but last I heard, October, October for both [games].”

Grubb also said fans of the sci-fi series should expect upgraded versions of the three games rather than full remakes.

“I don’t know that for sure, I would probably lean towards upgrade. I think when I asked around about this, that was kind of the vibe I was getting, and I think that’s what people should expect for sure.”

Found this rumor interesting that EA may or may not release a remastered Mass Effect trilogy around the same time as their new Star Wars game.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Not worth the money if they aren't going to fix the ending.

We’re talking about the ending to part 2, right?

mZY59pN.jpg

Codswallop_

Neophyte
Replayed the series a couple years ago on PC, wondering if these 'remasters' will offer more than just a resolution bump.

I don't see the point of remastering all 3 games if they're only going to give them a fresh coat of paint. That just sounds like a cash grab in my opinion.

The only way I'll be interested in it is if they add new/cut content and fix some of the story issues of part 2&3. I'm probably asking too much from EA and Bioware though so cash grab it is.

RAIDEN1

I read somewhere about a month or so back that they would include items left on the chopping board so to speak, and it wasn't just a fresh lick of paint?

Arachnid

You mean game 2 and 3? Yeah I agree, they both suck ass.
Always lol when I see the rare person say Mass Effect 2 sucks, like it's not the highest rated game in the series and one of the highest rated games of all time. It's like those few RE fans who try to shit on RE4 despite it also being the highest rated game in the series and one of the highest rated games of all time. Sure, it's not what you want out of the series personally, but that doesn't stop it from being fantastic or the (largely agreed upon) best.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Oh shut up. If you haven't moved on from that you're just a cry baby.
Nah. They broke years of promises. I was never even hyped on Mass Effect. I only bought it because the triple pack was cheap. I got to the end after having no expectations and was still disappointed. The ending was garbage, the devs either lied or didn't try to do what they said they were going to do in years worth of marketing and interviews.

On top of that, it wasn't just that they lied about choices mattering, it's that it was literally a bad ending fit for a Z tier game and it made no sense based on the rest of the story. It came out of nowhere, and I legitimately thought it was some kind of swerve, that you'd get to play for another few hours and get the real ending.

The ending to Mass Effect is objectively bad in any way that one could interpret it.

Nah. They broke years of promises. I was never even hyped on Mass Effect. I only bought it because the triple pack was cheap. I got to the end after having no expectations and was still disappointed. The ending was garbage, the devs either lied or didn't try to do what they said they were going to do in years worth of marketing and interviews.

On top of that, it wasn't just that they lied about choices mattering, it's that it was literally a bad ending fit for a Z tier game and it made no sense based on the rest of the story. It came out of nowhere, and I legitimately thought it was some kind of swerve, that you'd get to play for another few hours and get the real ending.

The ending to Mass Effect is objectively bad in any way that one could interpret it.

We know it was bad. We have known for many years. Time to move on, they won't change it unless they plan to make Mass Effect 4 and then alter the canon. The Citadel dlc fixes it anyway or at least makes is a lot more bearable. Actually The Citadel is the best DLC in the entire ME Trilogy.

mcz117chief

It was probably the best ending you could make following the total screw-up of the story at the end of Mass Effect 2 (Arrival) and the beginning of Mass Effect 3. The moment the Reapers entered the galaxy it should have been an instant game over. The entire 3rd game makes literally no sense at all in the context of the first game, just none at all, the entire story is completely different and honestly, the ending is the best part of the game.

Last edited:

Rest

It was probably the best ending you could make following the total screw-up of the story at the end of Mass Effect 2 (Arrival) and the beginning of Mass Effect 3. The moment the Reapers entered the galaxy it should have been an instant game over.
I don't disagree with this part. Getting the Reapers to arrive should have been one possible outcome and a bad ending. Maybe they could have figured out an obscure, really difficult to achieve ending where you figure out some Reaper tech and are able to fight them back and vet them to leave.

These are options. Divergent story possibilities that could have been endings based on player choice. "A, B, or C and oh they're all really kinda the same" was dumb and there's no reason to rehash it if it's not going to be fixed.

Forgive me for being uninformed, but was the multiplayer from Mass Effect 3 ever listed as a possibility? I actually enjoyed that mode more than I ever thought I would.

mcz117chief

I don't disagree with this part. Getting the Reapers to arrive should have been one possible outcome and a bad ending. Maybe they could have figured out an obscure, really difficult to achieve ending where you figure out some Reaper tech and are able to fight them back and vet them to leave.

These are options. Divergent story possibilities that could have been endings based on player choice. "A, B, or C and oh they're all really kinda the same" was dumb and there's no reason to rehash it if it's not going to be fixed.
No, the entire story was built around the fact that the Reapers are ONLY vulnerable when they are dormant. Remember when 1 Reaper destroyed the entire Citadel fleet and almost the entire human fleet without taking ANY damage. Only when Shepard killed Saren did some feedback loop happen and Sovereign could take damage, but only then, up until that point it was completely invincible.

Always lol when I see the rare person say Mass Effect 2 sucks, like it's not the highest rated game in the series and one of the highest rated games of all time. It's like those few RE fans who try to shit on RE4 despite it also being the highest rated game in the series and one of the highest rated games of all time. Sure, it's not what you want out of the series personally, but that doesn't stop it from being fantastic or the (largely agreed upon) best.
The only thing I didn't like about Mass Effect 2 was that you could no longer explore the planets with the Mako. Otherwise, I enjoyed it as a sequel.

Kadayi

Banned
Honestly unsure about this given the abject lack of announcements. The fact that they're not altering the ending of the 3rd game in any way beyond the updates done post-release after the backlash seems like a huge oversite because no matter how many additional sprinkles you put on top of that Sundae, I can still see that shit nugget at the bottom where the cherry is supposed to be. The argument is often made that it's not so much about the destination as the journey but when the destination is you ending up with a shit nugget slowly dissolving on your tongue versus a delicious cherry I'm not sure whether that's a journey worth taking, let alone revisiting no matter how delicious and tasty the sprinkles, custard and Jello beforehand. 🤔

Yuck, remaster. I'd rather they remake the trilogy into one game to have a unified system so that the gameplay is consistent throughout. I don't even care about the ending, I just don't want ME1's eurojank tier gameplay again.

Ideally thus will come out on Switch and allow each game to be bought separately, because I really do have zero interest in replaying 3.

Hell, there's a good chance I won't be able to enjoy 1 & 2 still. The first two games just stopped being fun once I knew what a steaming pile of wank the story was going to end up drowning in.
We’re talking about the ending to part 2, right?

mZY59pN.jpg
The ending of 2 was written by the lead writer of 3, which is why it has elements that make no fucking sense, but at least it was curtailed by the previous series lead writer having at least writen a story outline to follow.

That giant Terminator baby Reaper was fucking retarded though.

RAIDEN1

Interesting stuff.

Stripping most of the planets you can land on out of ME1 kinda sucks. Basic environments or not, I still liked bombing around in the OG Mako.

The extra quest stuff and expanded environments like Omega/Presidium has me intrigued though.
For all the faults of the OG Mako, it wasn't the most well armed piece of kit in the world, it was a dam LOT BETTER, than what we got in Adromeda, which was basically a buggy with no defensive weaponry, and just shields to protect itself...

Quasicat

I was originally going to say that I’m good on this since the first trilogy still looks really good through BC on Xbox One. That being said, I’m always down for a good amount of originally cut content and this post looks like we will be getting it.

I just wonder if the multiplayer stuff will still be there in 3. It still works for PS3 as of last weekend. I guess we will know soon, especially if they shut off the servers to the original release.

Andodalf

Banned
For as much people complain about the Me3 ending I’ve never heard a suggested ending that didn’t sound much, much worse. The ending was a bit of a letdown, but was at least very definitive and had some changes in the galaxy.

Lone Wolf

For as much people complain about the Me3 ending I’ve never heard a suggested ending that didn’t sound much, much worse. The ending was a bit of a letdown, but was at least very definitive and had some changes in the galaxy.
The whole point of the game was that your choices mattered. The ending took away every single choice you made, save for the final one, the ABC ending choice. ( and D if you count the patched in refuse ending)

Rest

No, the entire story was built around the fact that the Reapers are ONLY vulnerable when they are dormant. Remember when 1 Reaper destroyed the entire Citadel fleet and almost the entire human fleet without taking ANY damage. Only when Shepard killed Saren did some feedback loop happen and Sovereign could take damage, but only then, up until that point it was completely invincible.
I didn't say they should be vulnerable, I said make them leave. Shepard could figure out how they're invulnerable and apply it to a fleet of ships. The reapers are smart, are they just going to fight a stalemate for 1,000 years?

That, or any number of possibilities could have been on possible outcome in a series about choices.

Oh, this is just my opinion of course 🙂 it's all down to personal preference. I was just joking (even if it is my personal opinion, yes).

Humdinger

I was interested in this at first, but the more I think about it, the less I'm motivated.

$60 for a remaster? An up-rez?
A remaster at this stage of the console generation, when these consoles are about to be left behind?
For a game I've already played twice?
When I have new games I'd like to play?

Eh. We'll see. It's starting to feel more like something I'd pick up at a bargain price, when I've got nothing new to play.

prag16

Banned
I mean, I replayed the games with mods on PC a few years ago. I'd be shocked if this offers a TON more than that. I don't think I believe the reddit leak posted above.

Ailike

1. Indoctrination Theory is legit. Fight me. (Creepy forest scenes were cool.)
2. I hope they add the cut final conversation with Anderson somehow.
3. They really should've made a ME game after. 3, right? Wonder why they never did.

Chiggs

Ummm, who cares? So many great titles released today unless its a complete RE2 remake, zero.zero interest.

Now hold on there, mister. Mass Effect 1 allows you to punch a female reporter in the face. If there's a remaster, we get to see if it gets censored, which will be funny in its own right; but if it doesn't, there's a good chance EA campuses in the States will be under siege by radicalized gamers.

There's potential here.

ebevan91

Now hold on there, mister. Mass Effect 1 allows you to punch a female reporter in the face. If there's a remaster, we get to see if it gets censored, which will be funny in its own right; but if it doesn't, there's a good chance EA campuses in the States will be under siege by radicalized gamers.

There's potential here.

I forgot about that scene. Time to go watch it again lol.

Garnox

To be honest, the only thing I'd like to see is a revamped Priority: Earth mission.

Say what you will about Andomeda, the ending showcased your choices throughout the game. I wish they could've shown that with the Earth mission.

Acquired the Quarian, Geth, Krogan, and Leviathan forces? Watch them shred some Reapers as you make the final push to the conduit and allow for some choices along the way on where you want to allocate your forces at the FOB.

Its almost as if BioWare blew their wad on the ME2 ending and should've saved for that the ME3 finale.

THAT'S what I want for an ending. The final stuff with the starchild and all that, its fine. Maybe provide some more narrative and dialogue. Maybe sprinkle in some extra stuff earlier in the game to have some foreshadowing.

meech

Unfortunately all those ratings and accolades didnt didnt help me to actually enjoy a rather mediocre corridor third person shooter meets daddy issue simulator with a braindead story. Shooting still worse than Gears of War 1, powers neutered, ammo clips( an annoyance, because it was aboundant and didnt made the game strategic)
Mass Effect 2 is like the Nirvana of games. A 6-7 game at best if it came from any other developer, completely overrated.

meech

Ideally thus will come out on Switch and allow each game to be bought separately, because I really do have zero interest in replaying 3.

Hell, there's a good chance I won't be able to enjoy 1 & 2 still. The first two games just stopped being fun once I knew what a steaming pile of wank the story was going to end up drowning in.

The ending of 2 was written by the lead writer of 3, which is why it has elements that make no fucking sense,
The whole story of the game is dumb and doesnt make sense:

Top Bottom