• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect trilogy remaster ‘scheduled for October release but could slip’, journalist claims

I remember when Microsoft actually still gave a fuck and ME 1 was a platform exclusive to the 360 for many years.
Which is the reason I never played it and its sequels.

ruvikx

Banned
The introduction of thermal clips in ME2 is the biggest pain in the arse. Trying to get the Insanity trophy and I keep running out of ammo. Thank goodness for biotic combos!

Playing as a biotic (or one of the other builds with biotic powers) in Mass Effect 2 is not the way to get the Insanity trophy. Infiltrator with tactical cloak is the one you need. And make sure you use the correct ammo powers on the different shield types.

T-Cake

Playing as a biotic (or one of the other builds with biotic powers) in Mass Effect 2 is not the way to get the Insanity trophy. Infiltrator with tactical cloak is the one you need. And make sure you use the correct ammo powers on the different shield types.

I'm a soldier, I take Miranda and Jacob with me. Doing pretty well so far. Only took me about five goes to get Horizon's Praetorian sequence done.

And then I just remembered in Mass Effect 3, you get damage bonuses when you fire when cloaked. If that's the same as in Mass Effect 2, then I have made a big error and it'll be more difficult. Shit. I never even thought about the infiltrator. Ah, well. I'm not starting again. I'll see how I get on. I think there's only one more really tricky sequence - on board the Collector ship with another Praetorian.

Last edited:

llien

Yay, I've actually missed that game.

PS
Will there be bonus content?

tCYBGVR.gif

Ascend

I've beat ME2 with a Biotic, Engineer, Vanguard and a Sentinel. I refuse to use Infiltrator or soldier. Infiltrator is easy mode. Take a risk lol. And soldier is too popular and too standard.

Short version, all classes are viable. You just need to know how to play them properly. You can't play a Biotic like a soldier. Picking your team becomes a lot more important with Biotic classes, so you have to actually know what you're doing.

ME3 was a lot easier in that regard. I beat that game the first time on Insanity with a Biotic. Or maybe it was because I already knew enough about Biotics in ME2, and in ME3 they kind of got a boost.

I'm pretty close to the endgame of ME3 now. Just started Citadel DLC before starting the final mission.

This is only my second playthrough of the 3rd game. So good. So much fun. 65 hrs so far.
I love positivity about ME3. It has its flaws, but I think it's a superior experience compared to ME2, bar the ending.

Last edited:
I'd rather they did this for the Dragon Age series and not just slight remakes but full visual overhauls including a lot of the animations.

I'm a soldier, I take Miranda and Jacob with me. Doing pretty well so far. Only took me about five goes to get Horizon's Praetorian sequence done.

And then I just remembered in Mass Effect 3, you get damage bonuses when you fire when cloaked. If that's the same as in Mass Effect 2, then I have made a big error and it'll be more difficult. Shit. I never even thought about the infiltrator. Ah, well. I'm not starting again. I'll see how I get on. I think there's only one more really tricky sequence - on board the Collector ship with another Praetorian.
Adrenaline Rush, Warp Ammo and the Revenant make make Insanity a piece of cake for the Soldier. You'll need to play aggressively though, since it's accuracy is shite at range, but it's much less of a risky approach than the Vanguard is.

Then, once you've finished with insanity, bump up the difficulty by playing on insanity while drunk. It's rad.

God I adored that game.

T-Cake

Adrenaline Rush, Warp Ammo and the Revenant make make Insanity a piece of cake for the Soldier. You'll need to play aggressively though, since it's accuracy is shite at range, but it's much less of a risky approach than the Vanguard is.

Hmm, I keep forgetting to use Adrenaline Rush, I've just respecced my femshep and not put any points back in that, they've all gone on squad ammo. I can't remember where you get the Revenant from and I'm not 100% sure how to use warp ammo. Do you have to use Miranda to warp a target and then they get bonus damage if you shoot them with warp ammo on your gun?

Ascend

I'd rather they did this for the Dragon Age series and not just slight remakes but full visual overhauls including a lot of the animations.
For Dragon Age Origins, I agree. The other two, meh...
Dragon Age 2 is to Dragon Age Origins, what ME2 is to ME1. But for some reason, people see the issues in DA2 but not in ME2.

Hmm, I keep forgetting to use Adrenaline Rush, I've just respecced my femshep and not put any points back in that, they've all gone on squad ammo. I can't remember where you get the Revenant from and I'm not 100% sure how to use warp ammo. Do you have to use Miranda to warp a target and then they get bonus damage if you shoot them with warp ammo on your gun?
The Revenant is the super Assualt Rifle from the Collector vessel, you get a choice of it, the Widow Sniper Rifle and Super Shotgun.

Warp Ammo is a bonus power from Jacks loyalty mission. Charges up any weapon against basically everything.

Nico_D

Short version, all classes are viable.

I'm playing adept and it is extremely strong, I've almost all the abilities maxed out, i think. You don't really have to shoot at all if you don't want to. Playing on normal, btw. But in comparison, soldier is boring to play and I also feel it is harder than adept.

Ascend

I'm playing adept and it is extremely strong, I've almost all the abilities maxed out, i think. You don't really have to shoot at all if you don't want to. Playing on normal, btw. But in comparison, soldier is boring to play and I also feel it is harder than adept.
On normal Adept is indeed quite easy, but it becomes harder on higher difficulties, because shields are hard for adepts to deal with. You need your team mates to take out shields quickly and effectively.

The two most important Adept powers in ME2 on the higher difficulty are Singularity and Warp. Adept was the only class in ME2 that could already do combos. Warp detonates Pull and Singularity, but Pull is less useful at higher difficulties because of barrier, shields and armor. At lower difficulties, Unstable Warp and Wide singularity are better, but on the higher ones, it's the opposite because of all the protection the enemies have. Heavy Singularity will hold the enemies in place for a lot longer, and heavy warp will do significantly more damage to their protection.

Nico_D

On normal Adept is indeed quite easy, but it becomes harder on higher difficulties, because shields are hard for adepts to deal with. You need your team mates to take out shields quickly and effectively.

What about Tali's Energy Drain? I've found it extremely helpful.

Other than that, I'm basically spamming Singularity and Warp/Throw. Pull works far too rarely.

Ascend

What about Tali's Energy Drain? I've found it extremely helpful.

Other than that, I'm basically spamming Singularity and Warp/Throw. Pull works far too rarely.
Yeah it's definitely useful and makes the biotic an all-rounder. I feel that's kind of cheating though xD Because it's a tech power and not a Biotic one. I generally rock purely Biotic powers. So I rock either Barrier or Warp Ammo. But Energy Drain is definitely the best bonus power to have as a biotic.

royox

Dragon Age 2 is to Dragon Age Origins, what ME2 is to ME1. But for some reason, people see the issues in DA2 but not in ME2

DA2 has better gameplay and companion interaction than DA: Origins (So it's a ME2 vs ME1 scenario). But you maybe are forgetting that 90% of Dragon Age 2 happens in the city of Kirkwall and you never get out of there. It's a 40-50 hours game INSIDE of the same city. That's why it was so shit. ME2 never had that problem.

Ascend

DA2 has better gameplay and companion interaction than DA: Origins (So it's a ME2 vs ME1 scenario). But you maybe are forgetting that 90% of Dragon Age 2 happens in the city of Kirkwall and you never get out of there. It's a 40-50 hours game INSIDE of the same city. That's why it was so shit. ME2 never had that problem.
They both felt claustrophobic to me, a feeling I didn't get with either Origins or ME1.

RAIDEN1

I'm pretty close to the endgame of ME3 now. Just started Citadel DLC before starting the final mission.

This is only my second playthrough of the 3rd game. So good. So much fun. 65 hrs so far.
Normally I don't replay games after my 1st-run through, unless there was some like alternate ending...but Mass Effect is a different story....Andromeda I wouldn't touch again with a barge pole, but 2 + 3 I would...and I was tempted but then with this re-master I am holding out till then..

Nico_D

Normally I don't replay games after my 1st-run through, unless there was some like alternate ending...but Mass Effect is a different story....Andromeda I wouldn't touch again with a barge pole, but 2 + 3 I would...and I was tempted but then with this re-master I am holding out till then..

I started the trilogy sometime before to current rumour. Except for the 1st one it is very playable so no regrets. Besides, I have waited years for the remasters and they have been close to release a few times already - I believe it when I see it.

Citadel DLC is one of the best DLCs ever. Big, beautiful and absolutely hilarious. So many good self-referential gags.

T-Cake

Adrenaline Rush, Warp Ammo and the Revenant make make Insanity a piece of cake for the Soldier.

Nice tips! It only took me two attempts to splat the Praetorian on the Collector ship. Although I did have massive trouble with the normal baddies on those hovering platforms. That took about 8 attempts as I kept being too cocky and not using cover enough.

Lone Wolf

Nooooo, we should be just a few weeks away from the remaster reveal, if it's real. Otherwise, I'm sure they'll be on offer again at Christmas.
Has EA ever announced something and released within a month? I’m starting to think this trilogy either doesn’t exist or is a ways off.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why though? 3 soured everything about the first 2 games. I mean if you ONLY care about gameplay then get 3 and hope the online is active I guess.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Well, it's only gonna be an up of the resolution for the console right ? PC users don't give a fuck about this as mods already did an overhaul of the game, give me a full remake on Frosbyte !

Last edited:

Ascend

Well, it's only gonna be an up of the resolution for the console right ? PC users don't give a fuck about this as mods already did an overall of the game, give me a full remake on Frosbyte !
We don't know what it's going to be. The rumors are saying that ME1 gets the biggest overhaul, adopting ME3 mechanics. For all of them, cut content will be included.

royox

We don't know what it's going to be. The rumors are saying that ME1 gets the biggest overhaul, adopting ME3 mechanics. For all of them, cut content will be included.

They should give the remasters the Uncharted Trilogy treatment where NaughtyDog used the same gameplay and controls on U1 and U2 to match with U3 for consistency reasons.

Just Imagine playing as a ME3 vanguard in ME1 lol

JKVOu.png

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I know I read that too. It's EA so I'm always ready to be disappointed

T-Cake

So I've been playing the trilogy, ME2 and ME3 have very similar mechanics. Would we be happy if ME1 was brought more into line with those? i.e. no proper inventory, a smaller set of skills, proper biotics/tech combos, etc.

Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered appears on the Portuguese retailer website

royox

So I've been playing the trilogy, ME2 and ME3 have very similar mechanics. Would we be happy if ME1 was brought more into line with those? i.e. no proper inventory, a smaller set of skills, proper biotics/tech combos, etc.

The inventory of ME1 was a mistake, and the set of skills of ME3 wasn't that diferent from ME1. What ME1 had was more focus in the RPG part distributing points. More points in Sniper Aiming made your weapon move much less when Aiming for example and was awesome.

Ascend

LOL 50-60€ for what is probably just a remaster with enhanced textures and effects, fuck off.

Might be the first time in years where im going to pirate a game again. arrr
It's not an atrocious deal imo. Not great, but not atrocious. There are people that never played these games, and you're getting three games with all the DLC included (supposedly). So asking $60 is acceptable in my view.

I would pay $60 if they at least overhaul ME1 enough, although I would prefer if they offer an upgrade price for the ones that already own the games. Knowing EA, that won't likely happen...

royox

LOL 50-60€ for what is probably just a remaster with enhanced textures and effects, fuck off.

Well people is buying the Mario 3D all Stars as if it was hot bread and it's just 3 emulated roms without enhancements lol.
If they overhaul ME1, add all the DLC's and keep the ME3 multiplayer it will be worth the 60 bucks.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

60$ for 3 amazing games and all their DLC with a big overhaul to one of them isn’t bad at all. You’d pay that much just for the DLC rn

Relativ9

If they do a remaster I'd be disappointed honestly.

The decide between the first and the last two is so massive in terms of gameplay mechanics and style, that they feel like two different franchises. I would love it if they unified the design philosophy between each game (hopefully leaning more towards the first game). If I could play the Shepard/reaper story from start to finish without massive gameplay systems changing twice that'd be ideal.

Surprised EA never made the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer it’s own game for like $20.

“Mass Effect Galaxy at War” or something like that with better textures, resolution etc . I’m not sure how Andromeda multiplayer is doing but I remember on 360, ME3 multiplayer was decent and never short on players.

DJT123

I want to see realistic faces/facial animation. Otherwise not that interested. I got sated by ME2 HD mod

Last edited:

frogger

The first game's mechanics are really outdated. Not sure if I want to replay it even with updated graphics.

Top Bottom