• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Fire in High Rise Apartment in London

There's something not right about the circumstances that caused the fire.

My uncle works for the council, he's seen Somalian refugees set fires in their houses as if they were back home.

The guy in this flat had sent his family away that night and was packed when the fire was starting.

Legitimately awful post. Not surprising that you're a brexiter as well.

I think I have to agree with you here, these evacuations seem to be a bit excessive and impractical. There is no way there is enough cheap housing stock to house everyone that should qualify for evacuation from "unsafe" towers.

Clearly there is a risk with these buildings due to the cladding (gosh who would have thought using cheap lowest bid bullshit would come back to bite us in the arse eh) and clearly something needs to be done to rectify the situation. However I feel forcing thousands of people from their homes is not the answer.. There has to be a better way to manage/minimise the risk without the sledgehammer of evacuations.

The problem with the Camden flats is way more than just cladding, no fire doors and many other issues and it was the fire brigade that deemed them dangerous, we just cannot go ignoring the people who deal with such things on a daily basis and after what they saw on the night of Grenfell I sure as fuck would be listening to them. Sure other flats maybe have the cladding but other safety procedures and mechanisms in place are ok for now but now the Camden ones.

My uncle works for the council, he's seen Somalian refugees set fires in their houses as if they were back home.

The guy in this flat had sent his family away that night and was packed when the fire was starting.

Where did you read this. Where is your proof?

Legitimately awful post. Not surprising that you're a brexiter as well.

I see. Just a piece of shit racist.

krazen

Ahh, racist fake news.

Even if the evil somali's were intentionally setting fires(lol) a building shouldnt go up like tindersticks from a single apartment fire, so the balls back in your court.

lol@setting fires in apartments "like home", wtf

butzopower

proud of his butz

Head back to voat, mate.

Gallbaro

Banned
Ahh, racist fake news.

Even if the evil somali's were intentionally setting fires(lol) a building shouldnt go up like tindersticks from a single apartment fire, so the balls back in your court.

lol@setting fires in apartments "like home", wtf
While he is probably just racist. In the USA damage to "public housing" by residents is a massive problem.

While he is probably just racist. In the USA damage to "public housing" by residents is a massive problem.
"Probably"
giphy.gif

butzopower

proud of his butz

Bro is saying Somilians burning houses and killing folk in London like "they do back home".

Public housing is also quite a bit different in the U.K. than it is in the States, even if what you are saying is to be believed.

Beefy

Disgusting post. You need to check yourself to why you spew such hate

MrCarter

Why is he not banned. Can't believe the stupidity.

Breakage

Camden council only "cares" about its social housing residents safety now because criminal manslaughter is being mentioned in regard to Grenfell. The fact that they are uncovering all of these safety issues clearly demonstrates that they simply did not give a fuck about any of it until now. This whole cladding/ poor fire safety features scandal is a national disgrace. I'm sure plently of people responsible for these towers knew that they were covering people's homes in flammable materials or that there wern't proper fire safety features - and they still signed shit off.

Jackpot

Banned
In my previous property my landlord put in fire doors just for the inspection and then removed them afterwards. Will see if I can report it to my district council.

robo

Just to play devils advocate, when the cladding was installed, maybe it passed the fire tests current at that time?

If they are now testing against the latest test then maybe that is contributing to the failures? Regs change so when they were fitted they were compliant but not now, which is understandable, but do the regs include the provision to force them to be changed?

Audioboxer

Just to play devils advocate, when the cladding was installed, maybe it passed the fire tests current at that time?

If they are now testing against the latest test then maybe that is contributing to the failures? Regs change so when they were fitted they were compliant but not now, which is understandable, but do the regs include the provision to force them to be changed?

When something has contributed to the mass loss of life retroactive change probably can be enforced. It would be a health and safety hazard to knowingly leave something in place you now have evidence can cost lives and be detrimental to safety.

I think an independent investigation will have to be carried out as to why they were all fitted how they were, who advised for this cladding to be used and exactly what the regulators were saying in the past. As above with anecdotal evidence of fire doors not being installed and other shady shit there will be landlords having broke regulations, even in the past. Disgusting penny pinching.

Kin5290

Grendel Tower-style cladding, with aluminum sandwiching a plastic core, is banned in the US and many other countries from being used in high rises because it is an unsafe fire hazard.

TimmmV

In my previous property my landlord put in fire doors just for the inspection and then removed them afterwards. Will see if I can report it to my district council.

Thats fucking disgusting

Its baffling people think that industries can self regulate when stuff like this happens

Jackpot

Banned
Welp, everything's back to normal.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...fell-promise-broken-accusations-a8007501.html

Theresa May says no Government cash for sprinklers in tower blocks despite promises made after Grenfell

It is “up to the council to make decisions”, the Prime Minister told MPs – amid a growing furore over the multi-million pound bills that town halls face.

Nottingham, Croydon and Wandsworth have all had multi-million pound requests turned – even after being advised to carry out works by their local fire brigades.

Nevertheless, until now, ministers had said they would consider help “where works are essential”, even as they resisted applications.

However, during Prime Minister’s Questions, Ms May gave a firm no after a plea for assistance from a Labour MP in Nottingham

“How safe would she feel living on the 20th floor of Pine View or Southchurch Court in my constituency with one staircase and no sprinklers?” Lillian Greenwood asked.

The Prime Minister dismissed the question, saying: “Since Grenfell, much has been said in this House about sprinklers.

“There are a number of aspects that have to be looked at in relation to the safety of tower blocks.

“It is not the case that sprinklers are the only issue that needs to be looked at or addressed - nor is it the only solution to ensuring their safety.

“On expenditure by the honourable lady’s local council, it is of course up to the council to make decisions about what it wishes to do.”

Alok Sharma, the housing minister, declined Nottingham City Council’s request for help to install sprinklers inside flats and communal areas in 13 towers at a cost of £6.2m.

He told the council: “The fire safety measures you outline are additional rather than essential.”

The minister also told the London borough of Croydon, which wants to spend £10m on retrofitting sprinklers to 25 tall residential blocks: “It is the landlord’s responsibility to ensure that people are safe.”

Wandsworth wants to spend up to £30m on sprinklers in 100 towers but was told: “Support will not include general improvement and enhancements to buildings.”

The importance of sprinklers was reiterated by the London Fire Brigade last month, when Commissioner Dany Cotton claimed retro-fitting the devices “can’t be optional; it can’t be a ‘nice to have’. This is something that must happen.”

Just like with the tower block fire that came before this one, it's been kicked into the long grass.

Dougald

So we’ll spend a hundred million on a pointless election, a billion to prop up the government after said election, and further billions on Brexit, but we can’t afford a few million for sprinklers? Just come out and say you don’t care about poor people, May

Apologies from Reading West for not being able to get rid of Sharma at the last election, even if he's probably just towing the party line here.

OZ9000

Banned

Someone might think it is worth making a thread over, but I thought would bump this thread.

I just think this is genuinely so sad, that the fire fighters who saved so many lives, now have terminal cancer :(
Tragic but our cuntish government will give no fucks as per the course.

Do firefighters routinely wear respirators when called out on emergency scenes?

anthony2690

Banned
Tragic but our cuntish government will give no fucks as per the course.

Do firefighters routinely wear respirators when called out on emergency scenes?

I googled it out of curiousity and this answer explains it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom