• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt says Halo DS naysayers will be owned..... after E3.

itsgreen

ZealousD said:
mattsaysyouwillbeownedaftere3maybep.jpg

lol @ tranny surprise ;)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
If Halo DS was shown at E3 the megaton would be so great Russia would retaliate, seriously, it wont happen, it just can't happen, right? right?

On another note, I wouldn't be suprised if a DS version of Halo was at least though of, if not partially developed, Handhelds are usually seen as seperate entities when console exclusivity is involved, I can't see it have gotten very far, however.

C.T.

drohne said:
by 'naysayers' does he mean people who don't believe halo ds exists, or people who think it sounds like a terrible idea?

well, i could get behind a 2d halo ds that plays like metal slug

He said it looked similar to halo 1...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
thebagofsand said:
A Halo game like metal slug would be awesome.

I think a Halo game like MERCS would be even better... Overhead 2-D with vehicles (hell, MERCS even has a Jeep kinda like the Warthog) and co-op play.

djtiesto said:
I think a Halo game like MERCS would be even better... Overhead 2-D with vehicles (hell, MERCS even has a Jeep kinda like the Warthog) and co-op play.
I would play it, I loved mercs all those years ago.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ManaByte said:
And if it weren't for Matt (and Peer) you would NEVER have played Smash Brothers in the US at all.

yeah, I'm sure that's not at all an exaggeration.

CamHostage

Any chance somebody can change the topic to "Matt says cancelled Halo DS naysayers will be owned"? Too many seem confused and are expecting this to actually happen.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
HaloFans said:
Before E308?
He didnt say which E3...
Stinkles said:
I think I know what he's talking about. And I think it's not very interesting.
Anybody can guess that, the problem is that he makes such a big deal about it. Was there really playable Halo DS? Come on Stinkles, you should know.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
The game in question was a defunct Halo FPS for the DS that played a lot like Metroid Prime Hunters. And no, it wasn't developed by Bungie but was approved by Microsoft before eventually getting canned.

ManaByte

levious said:
yeah, I'm sure that's not at all an exaggeration.

Nintendo of America was NOT going to even consider releasing Smash Bros. for the N64 in the US. If it weren't for Matt & Peer harassing them on a nearly daily basis after covering the import in N64.com, they would not have released it. If they didn't bug Nintendo constantly until they gave in regarding the game, the US would never have had the Smash Bros. franchise.

Stinkles said:

If people at Bungie aren't even sure what it is, then Frankie's right. It's not worth it. It's not even like it was greenlighted and then canceled. The game was never in development, and therefore, "Halo DS" never existed.

ToyMachine228 said:
If people at Bungie aren't even sure what it is, then Frankie's right. It's not worth it. It's not even like it was greenlighted and then canceled. The game was never in development, and therefore, "Halo DS" never existed.
That's actually quote sad though that he said that. If stinkles is right and there's no "omg secret black book meetings!" in Bill G's house and Matt someone managed to sneak in and listen...

Really lame. Still I like him though, one of my favourite game reporters.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ManaByte said:
Nintendo of America was NOT going to even consider releasing Smash Bros. for the N64 in the US. If it weren't for Matt & Peer harassing them on a nearly daily basis after covering the import in N64.com, they would not have released it. If they didn't bug Nintendo constantly until they gave in regarding the game, the US would never have had the Smash Bros. franchise.

it's a bold claim, no matter how you look at it. Did they have internal knowledge on NinUSA's exact plans? Doubt it. Did you? I doubt that too.

Just because NOA did not have firm plans nor the intention of confirming their future plans during Matt's period of harassment does not mean that he had any influence on their ultimate decision.

Sapiens

ManaByte said:

You're full of wild* stories, Mana.

*False, fanboy rumour shit.

shinsnake

Banned
Seriously, that story about Matt and Peer making NOA bring Smash over may have been true, but it doesn't account for the much better story of who came up with the idea for Super Smash Bros in the first place. That would be...me. I was sitting around, looking at the 100th issue of EGM where they list the 100 greatest games of all time. On the cover is basically every character in the list. So, I wrote a letter to EGM saying that it would be really cool if there was a fighter with all those characters in it. I told them it would be a little like Killer Instinct except it would star Nintendo characters and SEGA characters and Pokemon characters and Mega Man characters and Castlevania characters and ... my list went on and on and on. Now SEGA was still making consoles at this time, so I mentioned how that would be far fetched, but the rest of them would still work. I then read in a later issue, can't remember which it is but I have it at home somewhere, in the quartermann rumors, he says that Nintendo is making a game with all of the Nintendo characters and it's a fighter. So basically what happened is EGM sent my idea to Nintendo, Nintendo made a game out of it, and EGM got a cut of the profit so they could stay in the business another 10 years. What did I get? Nothing, except the personal satisfaction that my game idea was so awesome that Nintendo stole it. I would have sent the game idea directly to Nintendo, but this was back in 1997 and Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet, so I didn't have their mailing address. And I wasn't buying a Nintendo Power either.

Actually, that part about me sending that game idea to EGM back in 1997 is 100% true. The announcement of Smash Bros came too close to my letter to not have been in development for a while, so my delusions of grandeur that they stole my idea were shot down. But still, it was cool that I had an idea for a great game prior to Nintendo announcing it.

Fowler

shinsnake said:
Seriously, that story about Matt and Peer making NOA bring Smash over may have been true, but it doesn't account for the much better story of who came up with the idea for Super Smash Bros in the first place. That would be...me. I was sitting around, looking at the 100th issue of EGM where they list the 100 greatest games of all time. On the cover is basically every character in the list. So, I wrote a letter to EGM saying that it would be really cool if there was a fighter with all those characters in it. I told them it would be a little like Killer Instinct except it would star Nintendo characters and SEGA characters and Pokemon characters and Mega Man characters and Castlevania characters and ... my list went on and on and on. Now SEGA was still making consoles at this time, so I mentioned how that would be far fetched, but the rest of them would still work. I then read in a later issue, can't remember which it is but I have it at home somewhere, in the quartermann rumors, he says that Nintendo is making a game with all of the Nintendo characters and it's a fighter. So basically what happened is EGM sent my idea to Nintendo, Nintendo made a game out of it, and EGM got a cut of the profit so they could stay in the business another 10 years. What did I get? Nothing, except the personal satisfaction that my game idea was so awesome that Nintendo stole it. I would have sent the game idea directly to Nintendo, but this was back in 1997 and Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet, so I didn't have their mailing address. And I wasn't buying a Nintendo Power either.

Actually, that part about me sending that game idea to EGM back in 1997 is 100% true. The announcement of Smash Bros came too close to my letter to not have been in development for a while, so my delusions of grandeur that they stole my idea were shot down. But still, it was cool that I had an idea for a great game prior to Nintendo announcing it.

With all due respect...

You had an idea for a fighting game with lots of characters.

That idea is hardly the inspiration for Smash Bros :p

nli10

Stinkles said:

I'd bet on a master chief cameo in a Rare DS game or (hopefully) Marathon 1/PiTD on the DS :D

shinsnake said:

nice to meet you

shinsnake

Banned
Fowler said:
With all due respect...

You had an idea for a fighting game with lots of characters.

That idea is hardly the inspiration for Smash Bros :p

True enough that my thoughts weren't the inspiration for Smash Bros, but my idea was insanely close to the game, which was kind of my point in the first place. The first part I thought of was Mario vs Donkey Kong vs Link. I came up with move sets that involved the fireball with mario and the spinning sword move with Link. Donkey Kong had his ground smash in my game as well. I then decided that there weren't enough characters in the Mario, Link, and Donkey Kong universe alone, so I added Pokemon. Then I thought Mega Man and all the enemies he fought. Then of course, Sonic was a natural idea for the game. The original characters I wrote about were included in the final game though and they matched closely what I thought. My biggest difference was it wasn't toys, it was real characters fighting over control of videogame world. EDIT: Actually, the biggest difference was you had health and you fought until you died. Another thing I had was the suits from SMB3 for Mario. He could change into Raccoon, Frog, etc... Then of course, Mega Man could also change into Flash Man, Leaf Man, etc...

But still, my idea was very close to the final product.

DyTonic

Banned
shinsnake said:
True enough that my thoughts weren't the inspiration for Smash Bros, but my idea was insanely close to the game, which was kind of my point in the first place. The first part I thought of was Mario vs Donkey Kong vs Link. I came up with move sets that involved the fireball with mario and the spinning sword move with Link. Donkey Kong had his ground smash in my game as well. I then decided that there weren't enough characters in the Mario, Link, and Donkey Kong universe alone, so I added Pokemon. Then I thought Mega Man and all the enemies he fought. Then of course, Sonic was a natural idea for the game. The original characters I wrote about were included in the final game though and they matched closely what I thought. My biggest difference was it wasn't toys, it was real characters fighting over control of videogame world. EDIT: Actually, the biggest difference was you had health and you fought until you died. Another thing I had was the suits from SMB3 for Mario. He could change into Raccoon, Frog, etc... Then of course, Mega Man could also change into Flash Man, Leaf Man, etc...

But still, my idea was very close to the final product.

:lol I had the idea for for Capcom vs Snk. Where is my check?

Gigglepoo

Well, I invented a raptor wearing a cowboy hat and brandishing a whip while riding a T Rex. As soon as someone steals it, I can ask for money or recognition as well.

Please steal it....

shinsnake

Banned
DyobolikaL. said:
:lol I had the idea for for Capcom vs Snk. Where is my check?

Like I said, I didn't come up with the idea, that was a joke about Peer and matt having delusions of grandeur. I just had a very similar idea before they announced it.

Hey shinsnake, let me explain what happened when you wrote to EGM/Nintendo (I wasn't really reading).

It is 9am on a cold, winter morning and at Nintendo America, the post arrives. An underpaid worker (as money was not being printed at the time) picks up a box of letters forwarded from EGM, labeled "crap, deal with it". He picks up an envelope with "NINTYENDO" written on the front in crayon. He sighs, rips open the envelope and tries to lean back in his chair but realises it's a plastic chair from Ikea, out of their new range. Some of the stuff is actually quite tasteful. He unfolds the letter, and reads the first line.

"deer egym. i haf an ideeah for a gaemz. how awezome iz it? so awezome."

He screws the letter up, and throws it across the room. It narrowly misses the mini-basketball hoop above the bin, set up to make the work somewhat less tedious. It's yet another miss for him this week, as he currently lags behind the competition in screwed up game idea hoops. Susan from across the room is currently leading, but that was due to her idea of taping together two letters folded into cubes.

The worker yawns, and takes a large sip of coffee. "Not my problem," he mutters to himself. It will be a long day.

shinsnake

Banned
JonathanEx said:
Hey shinsnake, let me explain what happened when you wrote to EGM/Nintendo (I wasn't really reading).

It is 9am on a cold, winter morning and at Nintendo America, the post arrives. An underpaid worker (as money was not being printed at the time) picks up a box of letters forwarded from EGM, labeled "crap, deal with it". He picks up an envelope with "NINTYENDO" written on the front in crayon. He sighs, rips open the envelope and tries to lean back in his chair but realises it's a plastic chair from Ikea, out of their new range. Some of the stuff is actually quite tasteful. He unfolds the letter, and reads the first line.

"deer egym. i haf an ideeah for a gaemz. how awezome iz it? so awezome."

He screws the letter up, and throws it across the room. It narrowly misses the mini-basketball hoop above the bin, set up to make the work somewhat less tedious. It's yet another miss for him this week, as he currently lags behind the competition in screwed up game idea hoops. Susan from across the room is currently leading, but that was due to her idea of taping together two letters folded into cubes.

The worker yawns, and takes a large sip of coffee. "Not my problem," he mutters to himself. It will be a long day.

Right, and just then, Miyamoto is walking in for a meeting about how awesome Mario 64 was. He slips on the paper and everyone in the office rushes to help him, apologizing for their messiness. Miyamoto, still on the floor, sees only two words, Mario vs. Donkey Kong. Okay, that's probably more than two words, but don't expect me to count. He quickly snatches up the paper and runs for the elevator. Sushi X is there to meet him and tells him that all paper on the floor is property of Ziff Davis. Miyamoto does a quick Mario triple jump, flips over him, into the elevator and presses the button. As Sushi X throws ninja stars, Miyamoto pulls out Links shield to block them until the elevator closes. And that's basically the story of how Super Smash Bros came to be.

By the way, I was 18 at the time. I hadn't used crayons for like a whole year at that point.

You don't even want me to tell you what happened when my story was stolen and turned into Max Payne. You're head will supplode.

Grecco

This is probably another one of the many things Matt alledgedly knows and never delivers.

I guess we will see pics of that 2D Metal Slug like Halo game running on a DS and we will be owned total!

back in the 80's I used to play in the woods alot behind my house and one day I had a thought, "what if they made a video game were you are out in the wild as a guy who wears green (I had a green shirt on at the time) and fights for a princess with his wooden sword (also had at the time)"

and that's the story of how I invented The Legend of Zelda

Kobiekun

ElectricBlue187 said:
back in the 80's I used to play in the woods alot behind my house and one day I had a thought, "what if they made a video game were you are out in the wild as a guy who wears green (I had a green shirt on at the time) and fights for a princess with his wooden sword (also had at the time)"

and that's the story of how I invented The Legend of Zelda
:lol :lol :lol

I spit out a Cheez-It when I read that!

Top Bottom