• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 is Coming in March 2012! Max Payne HD announced for mobiles.

Fjordson

angular graphics said:
Meanwhile they were going to use an entirely new voice actor for Max to fit this new (but it's still the same game!) direction, something that eventually changed because the fans "whined" enough to take notice.
I've read it was because James McCaffrey was reluctant to return. Wouldn't expect them to halt the whole production just because of him. Though like I said earlier, it's super lucky he decided to come back either way. Max without his voice would be weird.

And yeah Simo, you grabbed that art before I could, haha. I hope we get a decent amount of new screenshots in October. An MP 3 avy sounds good right about now.

I do expect this game to feel a bit different in terms of the movement of the character and the world. Max Payne 1 & 2 both felt like they were PC games on a console. They "felt" like they were being played with a mouse and keyboard. It felt like I was controlling the world and just turning Max in the direction I wanted to go. This Max Payne will feel completely different from that, I'm sure, and that will make the game feel very different in and of itself. I'm really excited to see how the full package turns out.

Max_Creative_01_NOESRB(1).jpg

Mike ear!

Rockstar, the studio which makes GTA games, was around for the first two max paynes. R*, having made RDR and LANoire, is making the new Max Payne.

I would take Max Payne 3, anyday!

Fjordson said:
I've read it was because James McCaffrey was reluctant to return. Wouldn't expect them to halt the whole production just because of him. Though like I said earlier, it's super lucky he decided to come back either way. Max without his voice would be weird.

And yeah Simo, you grabbed that art before I could, haha. I hope we get a decent amount of new screenshots in October. An MP 3 avy sounds good right about now.

Where did you hear that? It's odd that McCaffrey wouldn't wanna come back. Maybe he wanted to work with Remedy and not Rockstar?

I read in the GI article from '09 that Rockstar wasn't bringing him back, and the only elaboration they gave was they wanted someone older and that they were good at casting. But either way, thank God they brought back McCaffrey. And they're letting him actually full-on act, which is really cool. I hope R* will release dev diaries that show off the performances (though I doubt they will, paranoid bastards).

Fjordson

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Where did you hear that? It's odd that McCaffrey wouldn't wanna come back. Maybe he wanted to work with Remedy and not Rockstar?

I read in the GI article from '09 that Rockstar wasn't bringing him back, and the only elaboration they gave was they wanted someone older and that they were good at casting. But either way, thank God they brought back McCaffrey. And they're letting him actually full-on act, which is really cool. I hope R* will release dev diaries that show off the performances (though I doubt they will, paranoid bastards).
Well it's one of those "I remember it, but can't remember where" so it could have been bullshit/something I'm making up :lol

I remember reading that they were going with an older actor too so that was probably the case. Like you said, thank God that changed. Dude is so perfect as Max.

i'm open-minded and can't wait to see a video of it, but the "whiners" (it's called criticism you whiners) have a point.

- while i have no doubt it will fall under the category of noir, the question is, will it be good? judging by rockstar's history with storytelling, that's a big fat no. and i'm with angry fork; noir york city is a completely awesome setting and not used enough in video games.

- in that regard, it's disappointing that sam lake didn't come in to at least write the story.

- cinematic action setpieces is NOT max payne. in max payne, you make your own cinematic action setpieces with bullet time. you throw a grenade, slow down time, shoot that grenade, and watch the bodies fly away... in slow-motion!! cinematic action setpieces are supposed to "draw you in," but to me, they do the opposite. they remind me that there's a hand behind it all, controlling everything, telling me that yes, i'm playing a video game and doesn't that look awesome.

- a cover system? lol. if you went for cover a lot in max payne, you were playing it wrong. thanks to the slow down time/bullet dodge move, you can boldly get the drop on peepz and blast them in seconds. shit, that reminds me just how great the action is in max payne 2. every encounter is over in seconds, every last one of them an endorphin rush and a half.

it's not all bad tho. at least they're carrying over what's important, that being all of max's moves and an awesome body-physics system. and deus ex: human revolution was made by completely different people too, and look how well that turned out.

Fjordson

milkyjay20 said:
while i have no doubt it will fall under the category of noir, the question is, will it be good? judging by rockstar's history with storytelling, that's a big fat no.
Says who? In my opinion, R* is one of the best in the business when it comes to narrative and characters. And consider now they won't have to worry about open world design and having to send the protagonist on a string of missions? Pshh, could be amazing.

And Sam Lake is an incredible writer, no doubt, but so is Dan Houser (in my opinion). He did a great job at capturing the 80's with Vice City, the West Coast in the early 90's with San Andreas, a strict boarding school in Bully, and the American old West in Red Dead Redemption. Wouldn't be surprised if he does it again with Max Payne's brand of noir.

[/imo]

Concern about the mechanics is fair, but I think people are calling it whining because we haven't even seen any gameplay yet. Could be bad, could be great.

Edit: Didn't mean to sound like your criticism is invalid. If you dislike Rockstar's narrative stuff, then you dislike it. I guess I'm just surprised. I think if there's one thing Rockstar always nails, it's presentation. Things like dialogue, atmosphere, characters, etc. And like I said, MP 3's story has the luxury of not having to work around their usual open world structure.

Angry Fork

I like Max's look in the images but only if there weren't damn sunny skies behind him, fuck. If I have to run across brazilian rooftops to save one of those girls from a kidnapping I'm gonna rage. I want rainy snowy dirty NYC back =( abandoned hospitals hotels etc. /whining i don't care

Gonna go back to playing the first 2 masterpieces now.

rezuth

zoner said:
Announcing a release date before showing video gameplay -- Only Rockstar

edit:
Also, hellooo new cell phone background
oiyv82.jpg

I can't be the only one who sees John Locke, right?

Max Payne on touch screen only mobiles. Uhh... I don't think that it's gonna work out very well...

SmokyDave said:
Support for wired controllers? Which mobile devices support wired controllers?

They're probably referring to the Xperia Play.

Fjordson

Wow, that second one is fucking dope. So awesome.
Rising_Hei said:
So... did the old one just got replaced?
I'm glad if that's what happened
No, screens have shown two versions of Max for a while now. Part of the story most likely deals with how and why Max left New York, presumably with a younger version of him.

Oh shit, along with that second piece of art above Rockstar has this on their newswire:

Rockstar said:
Next week, Wednesday September 14th at noon Eastern time, we will release the official First Trailer for Max Payne 3.

This will be your very first glimpse of the long-awaited return of Max Payne - in action.

Premiering at noon Eastern on Wednesday, look for it in high definition at www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3 and the Videos section of the Rockstar site.
source

Can't wait!

Having talked to a few people that are working on this game, I'm actually kind of excited for it now.

Obviously can't say anything more than that.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:

I'm not one of those eye-rolling types who clings to the ways of yore, adamantly declaring that Max Payne isn't Max Payne without New York, hair and comic book cut-scenes, but really now: without McCaffrey the whole production would have been in vain. James McCaffrey is Max Payne; how could anyone have it any other way? You hear that narration once and his dark, iconic tones are ingrained in your mind for a lifetime. I'm glad R* came to their senses in the end.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Angry Fork said:
This is the worst gaming related thing I've ever seen. If the final game is anything like this I'll commit seppuku.

I'm already worried with all the other bullshit but "satisfy both newcomers and veterans alike" has shitman written all over it. I don't understand why Hitman is getting pummeled but everyone is pretending like this game doesn't look like a train wreck waiting to happen. Max Payne 1/2 are in my top 3 favorites of all time and I just have no faith in this at all.

And fuck multiplayer in a damn Max Payne game, jesus christ. Is Final Fantasy 15 going to get 16 player deathmatch modes next, like what the fuck.

haha i love when people see a few early screenshots and get angry at it

chill out man

Mr_Zombie

Fjordson said:
No, screens have shown two versions of Max for a while now. Part of the story most likely deals with how and why Max left New York, presumably with a younger version of him.

Actually, there were more. There's the "original" Max Payne (black jacket, short hair, no beard), the bald one, and something in-between those two (still has hair but also wears beard); that last version can be seen on the artwork and on the screenshot in the OP ;).

Angry Fork said:
dat Uncharted copying. Incoming ridiculous set pieces that have no place in a Max Payne game.

Dunno what "set pieces" R* wants to implement in MP3, but IIRC there were a lot of scripted sequences in both MP1 and MP2. It's just that you were still controlling Max as usual (no stupid QTE), but the scripted stuff was happening all around you.

And I like the new artwork (the last one wasn't bad either, I think it would just be a bad cover), but the random girl and mercenary floating in the air still annoys me. :/

Fjordson

Mr_Zombie said:
Actually, there were more. There's the "original" Max Payne (black jacket, short hair, no beard), the bald one, and something in-between those two (still has hair but also wears beard); that last version can be seen on the artwork and on the screenshot in the OP ;).
Oh man, you're right. Totally forgot about the beardless version.

Damn, this story's gonna be crazy. So god damn excited for that trailer next week. Hope it at least teases the flashbacks/multiple Maxes thing.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The Antitype said:
Having talked to a few people that are working on this game, I'm actually kind of excited for it now.

Obviously can't say anything more than that.

You don't have to say it in a loud voice of course, you could just whisper it into my ear!

That's not gonna work either, right?

Jarmel

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:

What I want to know is what could break a man who has already lost his family, reputation, and essentially butchered a small army.

Hopefully Rockstar is up to the writing task which I believe they are after RDR which was Rockstar's best story yet.

Kaako said:
What would you guys think of the box art if it didn't have the chick in it? Just curios.

It's not really box art, it's just some concept art.

The other two apart from Max are a bit distracting, but I don't really have an issue with it. I do like the concept art that was shown in the Edge article (it's in my avatar) where Max just looks pissed and exasperated.

But Rockstar's artists are always fantastic. I like the MP3 pieces.

Kaako said:
What would you guys think of the box art if it didn't have the chick in it? Just curios.
It would suck more. LA Niore and RDR had great boxarts but this is just art. At least have the same look as the other Max Payne covers.

LQX

The art looks amazing. Cant wait to see how it turns out. Also I just don't get people writing off a game before they can see it in motion let alone play it. Give it a damn chance.

Fjordson

Kaako said:
Would be fine? I guess we'll see when they come out with MP 3's box art since the stuff they're showing isn't box art.

Top Bottom