• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 is Coming in March 2012! Max Payne HD announced for mobiles.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Played the 2 Max Payne games for the first time in these last couple days.

Awesome.
Can't believe I missed out on them at launch, will be there for 3 at launch also, don't care if the entire game is during the day as long as the gameplay is good.

FUCKING AWESOME! I LOVE THE COVER! I LOVE THE SCREENS! I LOVE THE RELEASE DATE! I KIND OF LOVE ALL OF YOU RIGHT NOW! I MUST GET TO CLASS, BUT MORE GUSHING LATER!

ezekial45

Banned
I'm very excited for this. It's really starting to come together.

I don't mind the inclusion of Multiplayer either. They're just trying to cover all the bases, and i'm sure they don't want this to turn out like MP2. With it's lackluster sales.

I really hope they'll do those behind the scene videos they did for RDR and LA Noire. They were excellent and they were very informative.

.la1n

It could be good, it has no real connection to the originals, it appears to have 0% of the appeal of the original two games but it could still be good right?

answer: no.

Angry Fork said:
I know that noir can be more than just the settings from the 40s, but I'm just saying I personally love that kind of style the most in noir films. Max Payne was drenched in that shit and had such a seedy dark detective dirty feeling everywhere you went. I cannot think of Max Payne (the character) in a sunny brazil. I just don't like it at all.

If this was called a different name I wouldn't be bitching but it's still being called Max Payne, and they include bullet time and that automatically makes it Max Payne? Come on. It's missing tons of shit from previous games this is approaching Splinter Cell Conviction disaster levels as far as I'm concerned.

brazillian noir is quite dark, and frankly, pretty fucked up

you should check out a movie called "the man of the year" from 2003

outside of the noir and existentialist stuff, lets not pretend the first 2 max paynes have a whole lot that needs to be kept sacred. game-wise its pretty standard stuff

Radec

SalsaShark said:
Max_Creative_01_NOESRB(1).jpg

!

notsureifwant.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
.la1n said:
It could be good, it has no real connection to the originals, it appears to have 0% of the appeal of the original two games but it could still be good right?

answer: no.
Can you give me the lottery numbers?

Hey You

Wish it was coming out this year, but I guess I got enough games this year.

Haven't tried any Max Payne games, so this will be my first.

Angry Fork

Robot Pants said:
For anyone foolish enough to believe that was the final boxart, calm down.

34861hw.jpg
Still official artwork though.

Hey You said:
Haven't tried any Max Payne games, so this will be my first.
-_-

This game is probably made for you so you'll get to enjoy it thankfully.

ezekial45 said:
I'm very excited for this. It's really starting to come together.

I don't mind the inclusion of Multiplayer either. They're just trying to cover all the bases, and i'm sure they don't want this to turn out like MP2. With it's lackluster sales.

I really hope they'll do those behind the scene videos they did for RDR and LA Noire. They were excellent and they were very informative.

Every time i see RDR i weep for the PC version :(

VaLiancY

It's like Deus Ex Human Revolution all over again.

As long as this game has a strong story, I'll be happy. The shooting gameplay in MP1 and 2 were fun, if they're improved, good. A cover system won't be an issue, nor will mutliplayer or Max being bald and having a beard.

My first confirmed purchase of 2012. So happy we're finally seeing more of this. I remember when this game had a projected release date of winter 2009. :(

Angry Fork said:
This is partly my problem with pseudo Max Payne fans. They think the bullet time, blowing shit up, holding tons of weapons etc. is the best thing about Max Payne and it's not even remotely close.

Everything should be about the noir aspect, the dialogue between characters, the eerie moody Lynchian atmosphere, but everyone just wants to bullet time over a sunny brazilian mountain with an explosion behind you carrying a silenced pistol in one hand and a rocket launcher in the other. So fucking dumb.

smfh. TWO GAMES had the grim urban noir setting. Nothing has come close to Max Payne's setting and style what are you talking about overplayed. The last one came out in fucking 2003 there's no NEED for any "re invention".

Absolutely spot-on.

StevePharma said:
LOL at all the hate.

I replayed both Max Payne games last year. I also played them in their respective release periods. Aside from bullet-time the game wasn't special, generic encounters like you see them in any shooter. Dream sequences were stylish but abysmal to control. How people feel Rockstar could fuck this up is beyond me. They are taking the Max Payne formula and try to bring some new influences into it to vary the (now overplayed) grim urban noir setting, by bringing in Sao Paolo.

For the time, Max Payne's gameplay was very fucking special. There hadn't been a third person shooter, in a realistic setting, with that fucking great a feel before it.

But that's besides the point, because the rest of the game was equally amazing. The second especially had some of the best story and characters I have ever seen in a videogame. As a love story it is absolutely unmatched.

The snow, the rain, the dark new york subways and alleys are as important to me as the great story and bullet time stuff.

It could still sort of work in the Sao Paolo, although never as good I reckon, but don't come in here saying the original games are nothing special. That's just fucking stupid.

Tokubetsu

Misterinenja said:
Watch this become the best Max Payne game to date lol.

Unlikely seeing as how MP2 was third person action perfected. Really though, is Sam Lake writing this? No? Don't care.

Shaka said:
This is what I hate about 'true Max Payne fans', they don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Exactly, I think these "true fans" need to take their fucking head out of their pretentious asses. "People don't understand, Max Payne isn't about bullet time, blah blah blah." Who the fuck are these guys to say what other people should think about the game? I enjoy the atmosphere and story of the original games too. But believe it or not, there are also people that like the crazy slow motion gun fights and watching shit explode....Deal with it!

Angry Fork

keltickennedy said:
But believe it or not, there are also people that like the crazy slow motion gun fights and watching shit explode....Deal with it!
zack-snyder-22-9-10-kc.jpg

michael-bay.jpg

Then watch their movies, leave Max Payne alone.

This is what makes Max Payne great for me:

1) Great central character
2) Great story, with a dark and gritty atmoshphere
3) Great presentation
4) Great gameplay

If Max Payne 3 has all of these, then I will be happy, cause that is all I need. I'd rather not sit here and whine because someone else's direction for the story does not fit yours. If in the end we still get a great creative property, then I'm good. It's not like rain and New York and night are not in the game. There is just more to it. And I'm happy with that. I'm happy with some risk taking if the end goal is a better and more diverse experience. So, the naysayers can continue to complain cause it doesn't fit their vision, but chances are, the end results will be awesome.

Max Payne isn't just New York and noir film homages. And it isn't just John Woo shoot-outs. I think it's a bit more than just that. I'm just glad we're getting a third game, and that so far it seems impressive. Do I wish Sam Lake and Remedy were still doing it? Yes, but they made their choice, they didn't wanna do MP3 anymore and decided to work on a new property, and that's fine. At least someone out there chose to pick up the slack and do more than just rehashing the previous two games, and they decided to give us fans something new, something exciting. I don't care if it's sunny and in Brazil and you're fighting murderous gang bangers wearing hoods. I care if the story is good, the characterization and writing is strong, and the guns feel fucking satisfying to shoot. It's all I need, and I think that's really what any fan needs in the end.

Reckoner

Mr.Swag said:
Played the 2 Max Payne games for the first time in these last couple days.

Awesome.
Can't believe I missed out on them at launch, will be there for 3 at launch also, don't care if the entire game is during the day as long as the gameplay is good.
they still are on of my favorite games of all-time. that atmosphere was great.

I'm keeping my skepticism about this third game. not made by remedy.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Angry Fork said:
Still official artwork though.
Who gives a shit if it's official artwork? It's not the cover. That's what the collective hand-wringing and panty-twisting has been on about, right?

dear God you people aren't happy unless you're unhappy

RustyNails said:
I'll be damned if that's the box-art. It needs to be black and white, noir like.
Nothing from 3 looks to be keeping the noir feel from 1 and 2, though.

If this gets amazing reviews I'll get it, but any pre-release hype for me is impossible since it's Max Payne without Remedy.

metsallica said:
Sun-drenched vistas and NOT MONA SAX? I'm trying to keep an open mind here, but...

Well... that's cause she...
died? Or is in prison because she murdered a senator? Or maybe she's just not the kind of woman you tie down.

Fjordson

petethepanda said:
Nothing from 3 looks to be keeping the noir feel from 1 and 2, though.
Looks? Going by what? The screenshots? Can you really determine whether or not it has a "noir feel" going by the small number of those that we have?

Jesus people, we don't even have two seconds of this game in motion.

Mr_Zombie

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
died? Or is in prison because she murdered a senator? Or maybe she's just not the kind of woman you tie down.

Didn't they said in that first big article about Max Payne 3 that they are following the ending where
Mona died
?

I hope R* Vancouver has some people going around gathering up crows, because there's going to be a shitload being served up in March

Trust me when I say that this is going to be really good. It's Vancouver, Toronto and London studio too, well pretty much every R* studio has worked on this game.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
New thread?

Rockstar's Max Payne 3 Could Cost $105 Million to Develop, Require 4 Million Sold to Break Even

Rockstar and Take-Two today finally confirmed Max Payne 3 for release in March 2012 (which means it's still a part of the current fiscal year). This is good news for Take-Two's stock, but it's also encouraging for fans anticipating GTA V next year after April. Analysts believe Max Payne 3 should do well, and according to Sterne Agee's Arvind Bhatia, it's going to have to since it may require sales of about 4 million units to break even.

"Life-to-date, the Max Payne franchise has sold through 7M units between the two prior versions -- Max Payne and Max Payne 2. We think the latest iteration, Max Payne 3, has greater potential for success than either of the two prior versions," noted Bhatia.

He then added, "Although the break-even unit level for Max Payne 3 is likely high -- probably in the 4M units range -- due to its long development time, we think the title is highly anticipated and has potential for upside surprise."

Bhatia generated a table (see below) which outlines his hypothetical profitability model for Max Payne 3 at higher unit levels.

Big image - http://media.industrygamers.com/editorial/2011/09/Untitled.jpg

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...develop-require-4-million-sold-to-break-even/

Odrion

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
The official ending is that
she died.

From the look of the previous screenshots and such, I have a feeling they're going to have flash backs to more familiar territory.

But I'm glad that they're sticking with bald Max in a tropical setting. With Rockstar's talent, they could really make a change this big be extraordinary.

mxgt

Banned
Max Payne 3's multiplayer aims to deliver a compelling experience that dynamically alters maps and mode progression for all players in a match. Along with traditional multiplayer modes, Max Payne 3 will also include a deep reward and leveling system, persistent clans and multiple strategic load-out options.

yay!

just what I wanted!

It's great to see that this game is actually happening, because we've been in the dark on this one for about 8 years! Holy fuck! I can't believe it's been this long since a new entry into the series.

As far as this game is concerned, I'm excited about it for sure. I trust the team and the tech behind this with hardly any reservations. However, this is an entirely new environment, and I don't expect to hear mobsters talking to each other about V or really any of the other things associated with the first two games...I at least hope the tv shows made it in to the game.
A large part of the this series is the environment, and I am very unfamiliar with Brazil. I don't know if it can compare to New York.

And I wonder how drastically this story will change. The first two had crazy stuff happening with Aesir/V and the inner circle was a large part of what was happening. I hope they don't ignore this.

I don't know why Rockstar feels it necessary to add a multiplayer component to all of their games now. Max Payne has never been about that, but if it's good, there's nothing to complain about. I doubt I'll touch multiplayer, regardless.

edit: Holy shit at The Houser Royalty of 30% of profit. Dudes are balling out something ridiculous. And the game's been in development for 5.25 years, so they must have sat on this a year or two before development.
I'd like to know how Rockstar can juggle so many high quality and high budget titles at once

Ben Pierce said:
It's great to see that this game is actually happening, because we've been in the dark on this one for about 8 years! Holy fuck! I can't believe it's been this long since a new entry into the series.

As far as this game is concerned, I'm excited about it for sure. I trust the team and the tech behind this with hardly any reservations. However, this is an entirely new environment, and I don't expect to hear mobsters talking to each other about V or really any of the other things associated with the first two games...I at least hope the tv shows made it in to the game.
A large part of the this series is the environment, and I am very unfamiliar with Brazil. I don't know if it can compare to New York.

And I wonder how drastically this story will change. The first two had crazy stuff happening with Aesir/V and the inner circle was a large part of what was happening. I hope they don't ignore this.

I don't know why Rockstar feels it necessary to add a multiplayer component to all of their games now. Max Payne has never been about that, but if it's good, there's nothing to complain about. I doubt I'll touch multiplayer, regardless.

Well, I read in an article that the story will partly deal with why Max was forced out of New York. Perhaps the Inner Circle (what's left of them after
Horne, Vlad, Woden, and Gates bit it
) had a hand in it.

Edit: Anyone call OT yet? I call OT. Six months in advance. Yes.

Simo

Finally home. March 2012? Niiiice and not too far. Does this mean I can have BOPE clan for multi? Though 4 pages of pissing and moaning about poster art and nobody hardly comments on the actual screens? Jesus fucking christ. Only on Gaf.

Second screenshot looks boss, and well so does the first. Those who saw the demo said they didn't believe it was the same engine that made up RDR and GTAIV even though it is. Can't wait for the incoming video(s) in the next few weeks.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Well, I read in an article that the story will partly deal with why Max was forced out of New York. Perhaps the Inner Circle (what's left of them after
Horne, Vlad, Woden, and Gates bit it
) had a hand in it.

Edit: Anyone call OT yet? I call OT. Six months in advance. Yes.

Do you know if one of the Housers wrote this one? It's not Sam Lake , so I'm trying not to expect his style and rhythm, but it's what I hope for.

Top Bottom