• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 is Coming in March 2012! Max Payne HD announced for mobiles.

Scotch

Terrible boxart. I was hoping after the long silence they were reworking some of the stuff that fans were up in arms about. But I guess they're really going with bald Max and sunny Brazil. :(

I don't doubt it will be a great shooter, and I really want to play it. It just shouldn't be called Max Payne 3.

dark_inferno said:
Is the Comic back or did Rockstar Games even cut that one out?

They said they're basically applying some sort of filter over the in-game models to make the "graphic novel" segments, last I heard.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Smision said:
*fist pump*

The more I read of the game, the greater my anticipation grows. Setting and aesthetic preferences aside, the game seems to be in great hands. A simultaneous PC release is also a huge plus, especially in this day and age.

JaseC said:
The more I read of the game, the greater my anticipation grows. Setting and aesthetic preferences aside, the game seems to be in great hands. A simultaneous PC release is also a huge plus, especially in this day and age.
Watch it now as we know nothing about the pc version of this game 2 weeks before it sepose to come out and than they say its not coming/delayed. (I HOPE NOT but I fear)

LOL at all the hate.

I replayed both Max Payne games last year. I also played them in their respective release periods. Aside from bullet-time the game wasn't special, generic encounters like you see them in any shooter. Dream sequences were stylish but abysmal to control. How people feel Rockstar could fuck this up is beyond me. They are taking the Max Payne formula and try to bring some new influences into it to vary the (now overplayed) grim urban noir setting, by bringing in Sao Paolo.

Also, Rockstar doesn't just ship a game because it needs to be out. If they're not satisfied they're not bringing it out. We can expect polish and probably less janky bits because we're not dealing with an open world game here. They have original VA and a great motion capture team. Triple A-polish on that front.

Also finally another Euphoria game. I want to shoot and see consequences. Anyone who shot someone from a staircase in RDR or GTA4 knows what I mean.

Rockstar's PR is usually top notch and knows how to bring the hype.

The only thing I'm on the fence about is player movement. If they can smooth that out on RAGE (which I'm expecting the game runs on) it's day -1 for me.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Scotch said:
Terrible boxart.
I don't really care if it keeps the style, but this is shockingly blase for a studio so well-known for it's fantastic packaging presentation. Couldn't they communicate the exoticness of the locale some other way?

The Dutch Slayer said:
Watch it now as we know nothing about the pc version of this game 2 weeks before it sepose to come out and than they say its not coming/delayed. (I HOPE NOT but I fear)

We know it supports DirectX 10/11.

Struct09

I loved the first two, and even though it's not Remedy anymore I have complete faith that this game will be awesome

Fjordson

Tunin said:
Awesome! I hope Rockstar made it's homework and make the brazilians speak portuguese and not spanish (like you see most of the time).
Can't wait to see how they'll portrait São Paulo, it's such a clusterfuck haha!
I feel you on this, and luckily the casting call that leaked out called for actors fluent in Portuguese. R* is great with little details like that.

Angry Fork

The demo had all the staples of a Max Payne game including Bullet Time shoot outs(duh), painkillers to recover health and Max's inner monologues.

This is partly my problem with pseudo Max Payne fans. They think the bullet time, blowing shit up, holding tons of weapons etc. is the best thing about Max Payne and it's not even remotely close.

Everything should be about the noir aspect, the dialogue between characters, the eerie moody Lynchian atmosphere, but everyone just wants to bullet time over a sunny brazilian mountain with an explosion behind you carrying a silenced pistol in one hand and a rocket launcher in the other. So fucking dumb.

StevePharma said:
I replayed both Max Payne games last year. I also played them in their respective release periods. Aside from bullet-time the game wasn't special

They are taking the Max Payne formula and try to bring some new influences into it to vary the (now overplayed) grim urban noir setting, by bringing in Sao Paolo.
smfh. TWO GAMES had the grim urban noir setting. Nothing has come close to Max Payne's setting and style what are you talking about overplayed. The last one came out in fucking 2003 there's no NEED for any "re invention".

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The Dutch Slayer said:

we know that they work with AMD on optymizing this and it will support crossfire at least.

subversus

Angry Fork said:
This is partly my problem with pseudo Max Payne fans. They think the bullet time, blowing shit up, holding tons of weapons etc. is the best thing about Max Payne and it's not even remotely close.

Everything should be about the noir aspect, the dialogue between characters, the eerie moody Lynchian atmosphere, but everyone just wants to bullet time over a sunny brazilian mountain with an explosion behind you carrying a silenced pistol in one hand and a rocket launcher in the other. So fucking dumb.

clearly this man haven't seen a decent noir movie in Latin America setting. NY at night is overplayed anyway.

Dabanton

Angry Fork said:

smfh

I take it you've played Max Payne 3?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Dutch Slayer said:

To be fair, Max Payne 3 is the first R* game this generation with which the PC version has been wholly included. The PC ports of GTAIV and the Episodes, and LA Noire, for example, were announced after the release of the console versions. Max Payne 3, on the other hand, was announced as multiplatform game inclusive of the PC and the currently intended release date is also applicable to the PC version, so I wouldn't worry just yet.

Angry Fork

subversus said:
clearly this man haven't seen a decent noir movie in Latin America setting. NY at night is overplayed anyway.
I don't want a noir movie in a Latin American setting, that's not noir. I want to play gritty moody NYC detective in snowy back alleys and grimey hotels, not City of God + Resident Evil 5 sunlight shining through windows and people hanging their clothes up to dry.

Dabanton said:
I take it you've played Max Payne 3?
Nobody's played the new Hitman but what's been said so far is enough to make people weary of it, it's the same with me and this game.

Shaka

Angry Fork said:

smfh. TWO GAMES had the grim urban noir setting. Nothing has come close to Max Payne's setting and style what are you talking about overplayed. The last one came out in fucking 2003 there's no NEED for any "re invention".
This is what I hate about 'true Max Payne fans', they don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

subversus

Angry Fork said:
I don't want a noir movie in a Latin American setting, that's not noir. I want to play gritty moody NYC detective in snowy back alleys and grimey hotels, not City of God + Resident Evil 5 sunlight shining through windows and people hanging their clothes up to dry.

lol, you mix up noir with generic setting. this discussion will lead to nowhere. I want noir in spirit, not in images which I've seen 1000 times.

Angry Fork

subversus said:
lol, you mix up noir with generic setting. this discussion will lead to nowhere. I want noir in spirit, not in images which I've seen 1000 times.
Name other games like Max Payne 1 and 2 with the same "overplayed" setting. Grimey dirty hostels, hotels/motels, snowy back alleyways, underground train stations etc.

SMH @ people who think you need seedy NYC to get the noir atmosphere across. The backlash about Max Payne 3's environment and his character model (of which there are multiple) is just ridiculous.

I expect a pushback so this ends up releasing in April/May like GTA/RDR

subversus

Angry Fork said:
Name other games like Max Payne 1 and 2 with the same "overplayed" setting. Grimey dirty hostels, hotels/motels, snowy back alleyways, underground train stations etc.

I'm not thinking about games only. As games are a visual medum I think about movies too. And that shit is overplayed.

Angry Fork

subversus said:
I'm not thinking about games only. As games are a visual medum I think about movies too. And that shit is overplayed.
Name movies then. Unless you're counting movies from the 40s which Max Payne pays homage to?

codhand

"Let go of the past" is a relevant remark in a lot of sequel threads lately.

Max Payne 2 already did the whole "don't change anything" thing.

Seems like the Max Payne 3 people want is already out and it's called Alan Wake.

Simo

I'm at work and sneak a peek online and see this...MOTHERFUCKIN' AWESOME!

Now I better get off before getting caught. What a start to a day! LOL

subversus

Angry Fork said:
Name movies then. Unless you're counting movies from the 40s which Max Payne pays homage to?

of course I count them (also movies from 40-50-60-70-80-90s).

Noir isn't about rainy nights in a big city and a protagonist with a bottle of whisky in one hand and a pistol in another standing drenched in some cul-de-sac. Noir is crime stories which are served as tragedies with twisted human characters.

Jim Thompson is a classic noir writer. Read his "The Killer Inside Me" to understand whan noir really is.

SamuraiX-

PetriP-TNT said:
max_payne_59318c.jpg

165456-max%20payne%202%20xbox%20ijafi.jpg

Max_Creative_01_NOESRB(1).jpg

:(
well okay not really but still...

*sigh*

I really hope that's not final. It's like most developers don't give a single fuck about making an awesome box art anymore this gen.

And as many have said already: give us a damn trailer!

Angry Fork

subversus said:

Noir isn't about rainy nights in a big city and a protagonist with a bottle of whisky in one hand and a pistol in another standing drenched in some cul de sac. Noir is crime stories which are served as tragedies with twisted human characters.

Jim Thompson is a classic noir writer. Read his "The Killer Inside Me" to understand whan noir really is.
I know that noir can be more than just the settings from the 40s, but I'm just saying I personally love that kind of style the most in noir films. Max Payne was drenched in that shit and had such a seedy dark detective dirty feeling everywhere you went. I cannot think of Max Payne (the character) in a sunny brazil. I just don't like it at all.

If this was called a different name I wouldn't be bitching but it's still being called Max Payne, and they include bullet time and that automatically makes it Max Payne? Come on. It's missing tons of shit from previous games this is approaching Splinter Cell Conviction disaster levels as far as I'm concerned.

Angry Fork said:

Would you rather have a game solely in New York at night? I certainly wouldn't, I played that game twice already. The fact that Rockstar mixes up dark NY-levels with bright Brazilian levels makes a good contrast. It's also a test if that great Max Payne vibe can hold up in another setting. As stated by another Gaffer, noir does not equal New York or other gritty urban city. The juxtaposition of concrete corridor New York with the chaotic favela architecture in Brazil seems great to me and should provide enough variation.

subversus said:

Noir isn't about rainy nights in a big city and a protagonist with a bottle of whisky in one hand and a pistol in another standing drenched in some cul-de-sac. Noir is crime stories which are served as tragedies with twisted human characters.

Exactly. Besides, what would be the point of doing the same thing over and over again? I'm glad they're moving away from New York.

Angry Fork

StevePharma said:
Would you rather have a game solely in New York at night? I certainly wouldn't, I played that game twice already. The fact that Rockstar mixes up dark NY-levels with bright Brazilian levels makes a good contrast. It's also a test if that great Max Payne vibe can hold up in another setting. As stated by another Gaffer, noir does not equal New York or other gritty urban city. The juxtaposition of concrete corridor New York with the chaotic favela architecture in Brazil seems great to me and should provide enough variation.
Konami should make a sunny Silent Hill game because there can be scary sunny environments as well, or something. They should remake SH2 and have James Sunderland battling monsters on a river boat by a beautiful island, they crash onto the shore and there's red barrels ready to explode as the monsters jump down from trees and James uses his cover system to avoid the shotgun wielding foes.

It could be scary. It's a test to see if Silent Hill can hold up in another setting, just give it a chance you haven't played the game yet etc.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Angry Fork said:
This is the worst gaming related thing I've ever seen. If the final game is anything like this I'll commit seppuku.

I'm already worried with all the other bullshit but "satisfy both newcomers and veterans alike" has shitman written all over it. I don't understand why Hitman is getting pummeled but everyone is pretending like this game doesn't look like a train wreck waiting to happen. Max Payne 1/2 are in my top 3 favorites of all time and I just have no faith in this at all.

And fuck multiplayer in a damn Max Payne game, jesus christ. Is Final Fantasy 15 going to get 16 player deathmatch modes next, like what the fuck.
Lololol. yeah, because there certainly a huge multiplayer mod community for max Payne

subversus

Angry Fork said:
I know that noir can be more than just the settings from the 40s, but I'm just saying I personally love that kind of style the most in noir films. Max Payne was drenched in that shit and had such a seedy dark detective dirty feeling everywhere you went. I cannot think of Max Payne (the character) in a sunny brazil. I just don't like it at all.

If this was called a different name I wouldn't be bitching but it's still being called Max Payne, and they include bullet time and that automatically makes it Max Payne? Come on. It's missing tons of shit from previous games this is approaching Splinter Cell Conviction disaster levels as far as I'm concerned.

well, if setting is so important for you, you might not get want you want in this case.

but for me Max Payne was about cinematic shootouts and his brooding persona, not New York.

Tunin

Fjordson said:
I feel you on this, and luckily the casting call that leaked out called for actors fluent in Portuguese. R* is great with little details like that.
Awesome, I really hope so! +1 reason for me to be hyped for this game :D

JoeBoy101

codhand said:
"Let go of the past" is a relevant remark in a lot of sequel threads lately.

Max Payne 2 already did the whole "don't change anything" thing.

Seems like the Max Payne 3 people want is already out and it's called Alan Wake.

Except for it not featuring any character from the original games, or the setting, or even the genre. But sure, its really Max Payne 3. Makes sense. Any reason you say that other than the one Easter Egg and the same developer involved?

-BLITZ-

The cover looks more like coming from the romantic books of Sandra Brown and I'm not refering that I have something with Sandra since my mother has good collection, I'm afraid and expecting to be backwords for the story of Max Payne ...

And no
I didn't read any books of her.

codhand

If you want the same feel use the same developer, that's why Alan Wake's, running, jumping, shooting, and storytelling all remind me of Max Payne IMO.

Top Bottom