• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 is Coming in March 2012! Max Payne HD announced for mobiles.

FGMPR

Banned
Angry Fork said:
This is the worst gaming related thing I've ever seen. If the final game is anything like this I'll commit seppuku.

I'm already worried with all the other bullshit but "satisfy both newcomers and veterans alike" has shitman written all over it. I don't understand why Hitman is getting pummeled but everyone is pretending like this game doesn't look like a train wreck waiting to happen. Max Payne 1/2 are in my top 3 favorites of all time and I just have no faith in this at all.

And fuck multiplayer in a damn Max Payne game, jesus christ. Is Final Fantasy 15 going to get 16 player deathmatch modes next, like what the fuck.

Because Rockstar makes games like RDR and GTA IV, and not Kane and Lynch.

Shaka

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Euphoria and Natural Motion with bullet time mechanics is too sexy for words.

Want in mouth now.
I have a feeling the gunplay will be unparalleled. March can't come soon enough.
Fallout-NL said:
This is the main reason why I'm still excited about this.

But the rest just doesn't look like Max Payne at all. For instance, he looks way too big, Max was never that muscular.

Eh, I don't know.
I don't get this argument. Max from MP1 looked nothing like Max from MP2.

Fjordson

Angry Fork said:
I don't understand why Hitman is getting pummeled but everyone is pretending like this game doesn't look like a train wreck waiting to happen.
Rocktar Games vs. IO Interactive. Not quite the same thing.

And like I said in the other thread, we haven't even seen this in motion yet. Way too early to say definitively.

That poster/cover is superweird. Indiana Jones starring Bryan Cranston.

The secondary characters look like bad cutouts that don't really have anything to do with anything. Would belong more on a GTA cover. Get rid of those and it'd probably look....better?

Also, teal/orange.

jgminto

Mr_Zombie said:
This is one generic cover right there :/
Hope they'll change it for the release.
Generic? It could be called many things, but generic? I doubt that's the cover but it would make a damn fine poster. Give me it as a preorder bonus R*.

Jarmel

Banned
Fjordson said:
Rocktar Games vs. IO Interactive. Not quite the same thing.

And like I said in the other thread, we haven't even seen this in motion yet. Way too early to say definitively.

Well people do have a right to be worried. Rockstar has never been known for their shooting mechanisms.

VibratingDonkey said:
That poster/cover is superweird. Indiana Jones starring Bryan Cranston.

I'd pay to see that.

StuBurns

Banned
Jarmel said:
Well people do have a right to be worried. Rockstar has never been known for their shooting mechanisms.
Rockstar have also never made primarily a shooter though. Midnight Club is a far better driving game than GTA is, GTA is all things to all people, with no individual thing top tier when compared to the best of the genre GTA is playing in for a short period.

I'm sure this will be a great shooter.

Dabanton

Jarmel said:

GTA:IV gun control was a bit stodgy but fun but RDR had very good shooting mechanics imo.

Shaka said:
I have a feeling the gunplay will be unparalleled. March can't come soon enough.

I don't get this argument. Max from MP1 looked nothing like Max from MP2.

Of course, but there the only difference seemed to be age and maybe experience. This, to me, looks like a totally different character. Like a badass mercenary instead of a worn-out cop who's seen too much misery and is drowning in noir.

Still, if they get the vibe and the character right, they're free to take it in another direction.

Fjordson

Jarmel said:
That's fair, but this whole game is sort of at odds with what they are known for. Linear action shooter versus their usual sprawling, open world adventure games. I'm sure appropriate attention will be paid to the gunplay in this case.

Though I should admit that I'm one of the crazies who loved Red Dead Redemption's combat (in and out of Dead-Eye) so my worry is minimal.

"Max Payne 3 gave us an amazing creative opportunity to evolve one of our most iconic characters," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "We're excited to show fans a modern version of Max that pulls them back into his dark and twisted story."

*pinches bridge of nose as he senses a headache forming*

Fjordson said:
That's fair, but this whole game is sort of at odds with what they are known for. Linear action shooter versus their usual sprawling, open world adventure games. I'm sure appropriate attention will be paid to the gunplay in this case.

Though I should admit that I'm one of the crazies who loved Red Dead Redemption's combat (in and out of Dead-Eye) so my worry is minimal.

Same here, I fucking loved RDRs gunplay. It felt absolutely phenomenal.

Prine

Banned
Rockstar animations are the best in the industry. Now combine this to Max Payne and i think we're in for an amazing ride.

codhand

The beard.......is back.
Back? What do you mean.

Apparently the last batch of screenshots, showed a "flashback" Max Payne sans beard, this led me to initially believe that they decided a character with a beard was not white/generic enough, so they removed it. So, I am happy to see more beard shots, and overweight Max Payne, shots.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
We're probably gonna see some footage soon then. Max Payne is one of my favorite franchises and Rockstar deving it is just another bonus.

Angry Fork

FGMPR said:
Because Rockstar makes games like RDR and GTA IV, and not Kane and Lynch.
RDR was a boring empty shell and GTA4 had awful controls. I'm not a fan of Rockstar this gen even though I liked Ballad of Gay Tony.

Jarmel

Banned
Angry Fork said:
RDR was a boring empty shell and GTA4 had awful controls. I'm not a fan of Rockstar this gen even though I liked Ballad of Gay Tony.

I'll agree about GTAIV however RDR was pretty solid for the most part.

Dabanton said:
I'm always surprised that no media ever leaks from R* they must run a tight ship.
Always they always have. that $400 GTA IV book about inside rockstar was one of the only times someone from the outside come to the office.

Im gonna skip that shit. Adriana Lima and Bruce Willis in color on the cover, Favelas, generic Gang Members with no face,... yeah brilliant move Rockstar. Remove everything that made Max Payne brilliant... idiots.

Tunin

Awesome! I hope Rockstar made it's homework and make the brazilians speak portuguese and not spanish (like you see most of the time).
Can't wait to see how they'll portrait São Paulo, it's such a clusterfuck haha!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Xater said:
Boy do I hope this turns out good. Then again, Rockstar rarely disappointed me.

Remedy still isn't developing it, so I'm not hyped nor in want mode. :/

I'll watch and wait, but it isn't the Max Payne 3 everyone wants. Might as well called it Max goes to the Jungle.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I really dig the cover. It's not typical Max Payne and that's probably the biggest problem people have with it, but it communicates setting and tone very well while also being a nice progression of the typical Rockstar box art work. It seems like an idea that should've been way more of a mess than it actually is.

They seem to be on a roll with games that get announced, disappear, go into hibernation, then reemerge and get released within a few months.

I just hope this isn't another game stuffed into an open world GTA style game. Give me levels.

derFeef said:
And what would that be?

"This game has a brooding badass anti-hero, and you shoot stupid gang members, and there's even some hot chicks in it at some point! Also, the setting is not the usual MP setting."

Urban Scholar said:
I really like the cover, it tells you everything you really need to know.

Hopefully that's not the case, because what the cover communicates to me is "this is not a Max Payne game".

But I know better than to judge a.. game by its cover :p

Dabanton

From the other thread

Simo said:
For those wondering about the Gamestop conference footage, here's a quick rundown of impressions and info of those who saw it and what went down:
  • Rockstar presented the game during a stage demonstration last Wednesday night with a dev demoing a certain level from the game.
  • The demo had all the staples of a Max Payne game including Bullet Time shoot outs(duh), painkillers to recover health and Max's inner monologues.
  • Yes, they got hear James McCaffery as the burned out, old grizzled Max Payne. Sounded great.
  • Visually, looks great. In fact one attendee couldn't believe it was possibly the same RAGE engine that ran RDR and GTAIV that's how good it looked. Then again, RDR and GTAIV are open world games and MP3 is just a linear level shooter.
  • Rockstar also had a booth set up on the conference floor that had a viewing tent set up that looped a couple of gameplay videos with commentary. The security for this booth though was actually the most intense and guarded out of all the games that were there in video and playable form, as in only a small number of people were allowed in the viewing tent while security watched to make sure no photos or video was taken.
  • One of the gameplay clips showed multiplayer and a player engaging in bullet time during the MP session but the commentary didn't explain how that would work in MP.

Overall, talking to those who saw the video and demo said the game looked "amazing" and commented how it looks to be Rockstar's next big hit. Hopefully we'll get more info and the first video in less than a month!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Smision said:
They seem to be on a roll with games that get announced, disappear, go into hibernation, then reemerge and get released within a few months.

I just hope this isn't another game stuffed into an open world GTA style game. Give me levels.

No, R* have said it's a linear TPS.

Edit: Dabanton has the source I was going to track down.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm wary but I'm in if it's good. Considering that the game is 6 months from release, can we get some gameplay footage, Rockstar?

''But there is color! It's during the day! Shit's stupid. Max Payne's in New York, in the rain, the same as the first two games. I hate change. It's not the same team, bomba lol amirite etc ''

Hyped! Can't wait for the footage!

RoboPlato said:
I'm wary but I'm in if it's good. Considering that the game is 6 months from release, can we get some gameplay footage, Rockstar?

they'll do a media blitz over the next 6 months. If it's anything like Red Dead, by the time release comes out, you won't be able to throw a stone without hitting something about the game.

Top Bottom