• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 is Coming in March 2012! Max Payne HD announced for mobiles.

Fjordson

Ben Pierce said:
Do you know if one of the Housers wrote this one? It's not Sam Lake , so I'm trying not to expect his style and rhythm, but it's what I hope for.
Yeah, wondering that as well. Dan Houser has been writing all their games for years and years now so it seems likely. He does damn good work, so hopefully it's him.

olore

Not sure about this one. I`m exited that Max Payne is back, have some fond memories of 1 and 2 dated big-breasted girls) but it really should have been handled by Remedy. Yes, I knwo they sold the IP

jackdoe

The cover is awful. Why does it feature a bullet sponge front and center? And if that's not a bullet sponge, then why is a main bad guy dressed like a generic bullet sponge?

They should have just stuck to the same aesthetic as the other two games. Black and white cover with a red logo.

Fjordson

jackdoe said:
The cover is awful. Why does it feature a bullet sponge front and center? And if that's not a bullet sponge, then why is a main bad guy dressed like a generic bullet sponge?

They should have just stuck to the same aesthetic as the other two games. Black and white cover with a red logo.
Not a cover, just some artwork.

Jesus, I gotta stop coming into these Max Payne 3 threads. So much unbelievable whining at everything that gets leaked even though no one has played the game or seen so much as gameplay videos. Yes, the artwork isn't black and white like MP1 & 2. Yes, Max is bald. Yes, it's not New York. The unwillingness of people to get over these facts and just treat the game with a decent amount of open-mindedness is just mind boggling.

If this was any other studio I may be able to understand the incessant complaints, but it's R*. And as much as I like the first two games and like what Remedy has accomplished, I think the shift to Rockstar as developers is nothing but a good thing. And I respect their willingness to make some changes to the series. Hell, I even like the artwork. I never knew people were so in awe of the first two Max Payne box-art designs until I entered this thread. To me they seem like pretty standard fare.

If sequels were left to the hardcore fans all you'd get are tired rehashes. Max Payne 1 & 2 will always exist - if 3 rubs you the wrong way that much, you can always snuggle up to the first two. It's not like R* is destroying all the old copies. In the mean time I'll be looking forward to the new entry in the Max Payne universe.

Loving that boxart

ibinoiaSUH42mz.jpg

Lucius86

Banned
Sorry if it has been already said - but does this game still have the awesome Film Noir storytelling that made MP 1 & 2 great, or has that gone out the window?

Mr_Zombie said:
Didn't they said in that first big article about Max Payne 3 that they are following the ending where
Mona died
?
Really? Aww... I missed that, and that's bollocks. I earned that damn ending.

DerZuhälter said:
Always loved the fake mock-up that's been floating around for years in the net:

maxpayne3ps3neu.jpg

I made that! Seriously, I made it when I was 15, I used a still of Keanu Reaves from Constantine. I love seeing that pop up every now and then.

SketchTheArtist said:
No, they're now using James McCaffrey as the model, motion-capture actor and voice.

Also, anyone notice Max's missing a little bit of ear on the released artwork? O_O

Mike Tyson is the final boss confirmed

Fjordson

Thinking back to the reports from a while ago saying McCaffrey was hesitant to do MP 3 makes me realize how lucky we are that he ended up returning. I simply can't imagine anyone else voicing Max.

Angry Fork

bishoptl said:
Who gives a shit if it's official artwork? It's not the cover. That's what the collective hand-wringing and panty-twisting has been on about, right?

dear God you people aren't happy unless you're unhappy
I'd be happy if it had the same setting as the first 2 games or something similar. If I wanted to play cinematic action explosion cover AI buddy i'd play RE5.

Mrbob

Even though Remedy isn't involved I'm still very excited for Max Payne 3. :D Hopefully the PC version doesn't get delayed by 6 months.

Nizz

TheExodu5 said:
Who's the girl in the box art? She seems familiar.
That's the bigger question. ;) Would love to see who they based her on, Brazilian girls are hot...

Angry Fork said:
I'd be happy if it had the same setting as the first 2 games or something similar. If I wanted to play cinematic action explosion cover AI buddy i'd play RE5.

What the hell are you talking about?

purple cobra said:
That's the bigger question. ;) Would love to see who they based her on, Brazilian girls are hot...

I posted in the last MP3 thread one of the female cast members. Pretty gorgeous.

Angry Fork

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
What the hell are you talking about?
The game utilizes cutting edge technology for a seamless, cinematic action experience
dat Uncharted copying. Incoming ridiculous set pieces that have no place in a Max Payne game.

Max_Creative_01_NOESRB(1).jpg

3. Brazil

4. I read a preview/article a while back about a scene where you're with an AI character on some bike and some 'cinematic' explosion happens where this huge bridge collapse set piece happens or some bullshit.

Cinematic, Visceral, Experience, etc. are all buzz words that people should be afraid of. Every "re invention" has talked about this shit and it always results in making a game for dudebros.

Nizz

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I posted in the last MP3 thread one of the female cast members. Pretty gorgeous.
Shit, I missed that thread. After the initial announcement, they went so quiet on this game I forgot about it.

The game looks interesting, the character, the setting. I haven't played any Rockstar games this gen, do they still insist on mapping zooming in and shooting on the PS3's triggers? I've often heard that the L2/R2 triggers are always default and you can't change it. That sucks...

Angry Fork said:

dat Uncharted copying. Incoming ridiculous set pieces that have no place in a Max Payne game.

There's nothing wrong with set pieces as long as their done well and aren't overbearing. But beyond that, how do you even know? You're just being incredibly speculative. You think we're gonna have a giant train chase? Outrun an avalanche? Fall from orbit while gunning down fighter jets? The only example of a set piece given is: Max slips off a roof and fires in Bullet time while going down, and Max leaping through a glass window and time slowing down.

Oooh, concept art, so terrifying.

3. Brazil

Do you just really hate any place outside of New York?

4. I read a preview/article a while back about a scene where you're with an AI character on some bike and some 'cinematic' explosion happens where this huge bridge collapse set piece happens or some bullshit.

Where did you read that? The only mission I've heard about is the one at the stadium where Max and his partner have to go do the ransom/hostage exchange, and nothing close to that ever happens.

Cinematic, Visceral, Experience, etc. are all buzz words that people should be afraid of. Every "re invention" has talked about this shit and it always results in making a game for dudebros.

Yeah, they're buzz words. That doesn't mean Max Payne 3 will suck cause the marketing department uses those words.

Munin

Angry Fork said:

Max_Creative_01_NOESRB(1).jpg

3. Brazil

Cinematic set pieces have no place in a Max Payne game according to you? Good that Rockstar isn't listening to guys like you. They should ship out an alternate "Max Payne 3: Fan Edition" where they simply redo MP1 with HD textures. Then the whiners can shut up while people actually play the new game.

Angry Fork

Munin said:
Cinematic set pieces have no place in a Max Payne game according to you? Good that Rockstar isn't listening to guys like you. They should ship out an alternate "Max Payne 3: Fan Edition" where they simply redo MP1 with HD textures. Then the whiners can shut up while people actually play the new game.
The fan edition would be called Max Payne 3. This game should be called a spin-off or a new franchise entirely.

Simo

I was thinking it'd be nice to have a thread that's along the lines of the "Max Payne 3 Thread of News and FirstLook Expo" given what's coming and the chances of more updates but then I realized the event is still 3 weeks away...=/

Simo said:
I was thinking it'd be nice to have a thread that's along the lines of the "Max Payne 3 Thread of News and FirstLook Expo" given what's coming and the chances of more updates but then I realized the event is still 3 weeks away...=/

Ahhhhhhh you grabbed that avatar before me! Damn you :)

purplecobra, here is a photo of the girl who (allegedly) plays Fabiana (her name is Benedita Pereira) in MP3:

nigyje5crditdrte.jpg

It's cool that R* actually goes at and casts Portuguese actors for Portuguese roles, hahaha. I may have my gripes with past R* games, but casting is never one of them.

Simo

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Ahhhhhhh you grabbed that avatar before me! Damn you :)

purplecobra, here is a photo of the girl who (allegedly) plays Fabiana (her name is Benedita Pereira) in MP3:

nigyje5crditdrte.jpg

It's cool that R* actually goes at and casts Portuguese actors for Portuguese roles, hahaha. I may have my gripes with past R* games, but casting is never one of them.

The next piece of artwork is yours then!

Hm, that doesn't really look like her on the poster artwork though. I wonder who Fabiana is then? She could be the "trophy wife" of Rodrigo Branco, the rich property mogul Max works for in Brazil.

Simo said:
The next piece of artwork is yours then!

Hm, that doesn't really look like her on the poster artwork though. I wonder who Fabiana is then? She could be the "trophy wife" of Rodrigo Branco, the rich property mogul Max works for in Brazil.

Yeah, Edge article states that Fabiana is Branco's wife, and that Giovanna is her sister.

Munin said:
They should ship out an alternate "Max Payne 3: Fan Edition" where they simply redo MP1 with HD textures.

Or.. they could make something new but that is in line with what Max Payne fans are looking for.. like.. I don't know.. Remedy did with Max Payne 2? And nobody complained? And the game was godly?

No?

angular graphics said:
Or.. they could make something new but that is in line with what Max Payne fans are looking for.. like.. I don't know.. Remedy did with Max Payne 2? And nobody complained? And the game was godly?

No?

Well... I'm a Max Payne fan. Have been since the first game came out. This is one of my favourite series. And I like the direction for MP3. So I think I'm a true fan and I like this? Did I just blow your mind?

Edit: Hey, is Max shooting a paramilitary guy in that second screen shot? Like one of those BOPE dudes? He's wearing body armour and a helmet.

The first thing that crosses my mind when I think of this new direction, is the developers saying "this is totally the same game as before, you'll see it when you play it, and we call it 5hitman".

Meanwhile they were going to use an entirely new voice actor for Max to fit this new (but it's still the same game!) direction, something that eventually changed because the fans "whined" enough to take notice.

I couldn't be more happy if I am proven wrong and the game has a true Max Payne feel. I'm waiting for the first gameplay trailer..

Top Bottom