• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create sales 11/20-11/26

Jammy

Banned
I'm sure games like Wing Island and Trauma Center will sell okay-good numbers in the next several weeks, giving them an LTD their respective companies shouldn't be too disappointed in, especially considering they freaking went up against Zelda and a controller/game bundle in Japan.

What's probably more telling is the fact that these developers (Atlus, Hudson, etc.) are mostly smaller developers with niche or cult followings (Atlus moreso than Hudson, who just hasn't really had a top-selling game in a while, I believe). I really don't think these companies stand a big chance on PS3/360 with games requiring big budgets and beautiful graphics to sell to their userbases. Namco's comments that their game needed to sell 500,000 in order to profit doesn't help much either.

I don't see them getting great success on PS3 or 360 in Japan (especially now). Their best bet might be to release a more Wii-suited game at a time where there's not 20 other games being released.

Deku

Banned
OT: I'm glad I'm not the only person to Notice NOA's third party friendly launch strategy. Ubi-soft probably benefited immensely because of it, and to a lesser extent Activision and maybe EA.

wonderfuldays said:
Wii + DS will be the biggest PACMAN ever:lol
If not, it will be close. Perhaps Nintendo will best the combined 86.1% it had among all systems the week New Super Mario Bros. came out. Actually, considering the great number of units sold this week, it's more interesting to see it best the 84.2% from the original DS launch.

2006-05-22
2004-11-29

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
GhaleonEB said:
Wow there's some gullible people here. Poor guys.

It releases in a few hours in Japan.

Hey, I don't keep track of every release date, OKAY?!!?!

JoshuaJSlone said:
If not, it will be close. Perhaps Nintendo will best the combined 86.1% it had among all systems the week New Super Mario Bros. came out. Actually, considering the great number of units sold this week, it's more interesting to see it best the 84.2% from the original DS launch.

2006-05-22
2004-11-29

Well, I think that the most incredible thing about Nintendo DS is not the sales, but the fact that sells ALWAYS, EVERY WEEK more then 100k.
The Wii has had a great start. If it follows really the destiny of Nintendo DS, Nintendo will not only rise to the heavens: they'll reach the nirvana !!!

Xristot

Deku said:
OT: I'm glad I'm not the only person to Notice NOA's third party friendly launch strategy. Ubi-soft probably benefited immensely because of it, and to a lesser extent Activision and maybe EA.

Yeah, had NoA pushed wario AND wii play out the door for launch, I think we would all be laughing at the third party sales as well.

Also, I know that some third parties were upset that wii sports was being bundled with the console, but in all honesty, I think had they not bundled it, the third parties would have suffered, not nintendo.

KINGMOKU

180,000 for the DS on the week of Wii launch. That is impressive.

I wonder what total sales % inclduing games/consoles will be for each side.

Xeke

Banned
mj1108 said:
Blame the subject of the thread.

You should assume that if numbers for a high profile game like that come out they'll be really easy to find here, come on...

Neomoto

I you ask me, I think it's actually ****ing ridiculous that a company ACTUALLY has to hold back a lot, in every way, to please 3rd party so that they have a *chance* to sell. First it looked like there whas Zelda, Metroid, Wii Sports, Wario Ware, Wii Play, Exite Truck and Online Pokemon (Japan) on launch/launchwindow. That's one crazy line-up if you ask me. Metroid got delayed to next year. Exite Truck isn't a launch title in Japan and Europa and got pushed back to early next year. Pokemon Battle Revolution got pushed back 2 weeks. Wario Ware got pushed back to early next year except Japan. Wii Sports became a pack-in game. Wii Play is basicly FREE because of the added remote that most people will buy anyway. Maybe some of the games needed it (Metroid for example I guess), but clearly Nintendo has given 3rd party's a HUGE oppertunity on the system. Not even mentioning the whole Virtual Console. I mean, they didn't even launched Super Mario Bros. on it (and the NES VC library doesn't consist of really big sellers, except Zelda 1). Not one big SNES game and 1 N64 game. In America the VC setup clearly shows that Nintendo gives 3rd party's the go ahead to shine on the system right now. Just look at the Euro line-up if that list is true, no SNES or N64 games at all! Wtf, and NES line-up is less than US line-up.

Except for Japan, where they did launch with not only 4 1st party games, but 3 system sellers (not so sure as to what category Wii Play fits) and the Nintendo focussed VC line-up, everywhere else in the world the are holding back big time. I hope it's worth it, and that 3rd party games actually are good on the system. But if there ever whas a time for 3rd party's to actually get good sales (even with not so good games), this. is. it! It doesn't get better than this oppertunity I think.

Althouh, as I said, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that such a holding back approach is "necessary", it speaks volumes actually. I just hope that when some games sell like shit, they don't simply blame the "Nintendo userbase only buys first party games" crap like they normally do. If one would actually try and make a great game, Nintendo platforms have proven more than a few times that the game can be succesfull, but it'll require some actually effort.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
mj1108 said:
The last 9 months say "hi".

Try to read. I said can it keep doing 100K plus, i.e., can it sell 100k for the next 12 months as well as the 9 months since it's launch.

Xristot

Neomoto said:
I you ask me, I think it's actually ****ing ridiculous that a company ACTUALLY has to hold back a lot, in every way, to please 3rd party so that they have a *chance* to sell. First it looked like there whas Zelda, Metroid, Wii Sports, Wario Ware, Wii Play, Exite Truck and Online Pokemon (Japan) on launch/launchwindow. That's one crazy line-up if you ask me. Metroid got delayed to next year. Exite Truck isn't a launch title in Japan and Europa and got pushed back to early next year. Pokemon Battle Revolution got pushed back 2 weeks. Wario Ware got pushed back to early next year except Japan. Wii Sports became a pack-in game. Wii Play is basicly FREE because of the added remote that most people will buy anyway. Maybe some of the games needed it (Metroid for example I guess), but clearly Nintendo has given 3rd party's a HUGE oppertunity on the system. Not even mentioning the whole Virtual Console. I mean, they didn't even launched Super Mario Bros. on it (and the NES VC library doesn't consist of really big sellers, except Zelda 1). Not one big SNES game and 1 N64 game. In America the VC setup clearly shows that Nintendo gives 3rd party's the go ahead to shine on the system right now. Just look at the Euro line-up if that list is true, no SNES or N64 games at all! Wtf, and NES line-up is less than US line-up.

Except for Japan, where they did launch with not only 4 1st party games, but 3 system sellers (not so sure as to what category Wii Play fits) and the Nintendo focussed VC line-up, everywhere else in the world the are holding back big time. I hope it's worth it, and that 3rd party games actually are good on the system. But if there ever whas a time for 3rd party's to actually get good sales (even with not so good games), this. is. it! It doesn't get better than this oppertunity I think.

Althouh, as I said, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that such a holding back approach is "necessary", it speaks volumes actually. I just hope that when some games sell like shit, they don't simply blame the "Nintendo userbase only buys first party games" crap like they normally do. If one would actually try and make a great game, Nintendo platforms have proven more than a few times that the game can be succesfull, but it'll require some actually effort.

Something that is important to remember though is that most people have a budget to stick to, and can't afford all the games coming out even if they are all A++. So in japan right now, there are 4 games that are must buys (in my book at least). They are zelda, warioware, wii play and wii sports. thats almost 200 dollars that you would spend in addition to the system(200) and any accessories(20-60) you would buy. Its a lot of money and it's not including cash for VC games that (in japan) one has a lot of games to choose from.

Expecting most people to pick up 5 or 6 games is unrealistic. So sometimes its good to hold back a bit and let the games sell as much as they can.

If NCL held back wii play or warioware, theres about 170k sales that a good proportion of would have gone to other games. Then when they released those games later on, they probably would have gotten the same about of sales. The hype would still be there.

Xristot said:
Something that is important to remember though is that most people have a budget to stick to, and can't afford all the games coming out even if they are all A++. So in japan right now, there are 4 games that are must buys (in my book at least). They are zelda, warioware, wii play and wii sports. thats almost 200 dollars that you would spend in addition to the system(200) and any accessories(20-60) you would buy. Its a lot of money and it's not including cash for VC games that (in japan) one has a lot of games to choose from.

Expecting most people to pick up 5 or 6 games is unrealistic. So sometimes its good to hold back a bit and let the games sell as much as they can.

If NCL held back wii play or warioware, theres about 170k sales that a good proportion of would have gone to other games. Then when they released those games later on, they probably would have gotten the same about of sales. The hype would still be there.

That only works some times. If there are no other games that appeal to a person, then they might just wait for the next big game like Wario Ware or Wii Play if they delayed those games, instead of the sales being distributed among other games.

Xristot

Stopsign said:
That only works some times. If there are no other games that appeal to a person, then they might just wait for the next big game like Wario Ware or Wii Play if they delayed those games, instead of the sales being distributed among other games.

yeah, I agree. It doesn't always work out. But in this case, I do think there are some games that would appeal to the casuals in place of wii play.

Who knows though, I just hope some of those game's sales pick up this and next week.

Top Bottom