• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/17 - 3/23

cvxfreak

The Bic Camera in Yurakucho (one of the biggest Bics in Tokyo -- it's open year round in fact) was sold out of Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G. Pretty surprising considering the gigantic initial expectations Capcom had for it.

No doubt this will sell over a million units. It's the SFII generation (each iteration sells huge) all over again. The only series in recent memory that can sell in its original and re-release form is Pokemon, and a few years back DW and WE. :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
jrricky said:
man, monster hunter 3 is going to be huge with the addition of the big marketing push from capcom.O_O

Its hard to say since games that are popular on handhelds arent necessarily equally (or near equally) popular on a console, or vice versa. New Super Mario Bros have sold over 5 million copies on DS, but Super Mario Galaxy will probly "only" end up selling 1 million copies (sure, there are many arguements here, like 2D VS 3D etc. but still, New Super Mario Bros and SMG are both main Mario games). I agree with legend166, Monster Hunter 3 is a wildcard, but i'm sure it will sell around 500k atleast.

farnham said:
500k is big in a world were the competitors top selling game is under 400k

Thats true, 500k is big compared to the top selling games on the competitors consoles, but if i.e Super Mario Galaxy had ended up only selling 500k i dont think many people would concidered that big. If MH3 ends up selling around 500k i guess its upto each person to consider that huge or not, but compared to MHP its relatively smaller. But we'll see, no one knows how much MH3 will end up selling :)

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
and a few years back DW and WE. :lol

Those sold well when released 6-9 months after each other, though. Pokemon and Monster Hunter Portable have the similarity of putting a year or more between "expansions" (i.e. subsequent, non-sequel releases).

Also just to put it out there again, if Monster Hunter Portable 2G follows the pattern of Monster Hunter G, it'll have a higher first week than Monster Hunter Portable 2, but eventually track lower in LTD.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cvxfreak said:
The Bic Camera in Yurakucho (one of the biggest Bics in Tokyo -- it's open year round in fact) was sold out of Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G. Pretty surprising considering the gigantic initial expectations Capcom had for it.

No doubt this will sell over a million units. It's the SFII generation (each iteration sells huge) all over again. The only series in recent memory that can sell in its original and re-release form is Pokemon, and a few years back DW and WE. :lol

The unfortunate thing about having SFII-like sales patterns is that it'll probably encourage Capcom to treat the franchise the way they did SFII. Capcom's always been unable to fully manage their portfolio outside of their top hit or two hit franchises, and as a result they burn out IPs that should still be viable.

Look at Mega Man, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, and even nascent IPs that were clipped in the bug by mis-management like Viewtiful Joe. At least with RE's case they seem to have salvaged matters, but it's still a worrying Capcom trend.

I hope this doesn't happen with MH. I mean, 7 titles in 3 and a half years (6 if you don't count the online game) is a pretty stacked release schedule.

Time Hollow did better than Afterschool Boy at least. Hopefully it will have the legs of a Deadly Intent. Shame about Bangai-O, but it seems on par with how 2-D shooters sell now. Maybe they could dress it up in the Gundam license. It looks similar enough.

th_scds2.jpg

Why is he building a city on top of a Simon?

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
At least with RE's case they seem to have salvaged matters,

And then RE5 comes out as a PS360 exclusive.
Here's hoping for a graphically diminished Wii port with pointer controls, or, even better, an RE4: <subtitle> line.

mabuza

Banned
just buy a fucking ps3 or 360. edit: holy shit @ mhp hype. sony really should have moneyhatted capcom and kept mh3. well at least they'll get the psp version.

mabuza said:
just buy a fucking ps3 or 360. edit: holy shit @ mhp hype. sony really should have moneyhatted capcom and kept mh3. well at least they'll get the psp version.
Hmm. While that's probably the case, I wonder what the handheld landscape will look like by the time Monster Hunter 3 Portable is likely to release. 2010?

JoshuaJSlone said:
Hmm. While that's probably the case, I wonder what the handheld landscape will look like by the time Monster Hunter 3 Portable is likely to release. 2010?

monster hunter 3 portable, DS2 launch title, 2 million sales day 1, confirmed

donny2112

mabuza said:
just buy a ****ing ps3 or 360.

I probably will down the line. However, I'll be playing on an SDTV regardless, and I'd rather use the RE4: Wii Edition controls. A graphically "inferior" (read: looks perfectly fine to great on an SDTV) RE5 port to the Wii or RE4: <spinoff> would be great for me.

Spiegel

frankie_baby said:
monster hunter 3 portable, DS2 launch title, 2 million sales day 1, confirmed

More like Monster Hunter 3 portable, PSP2, launch title, better graphics than the Wii version

ksamedi

I think the reason Monster Hunter is not on the DS is because of the limited online capabilities of the DS. It just can't be done.

donny2112

Hammer24 said:
But it seems without sufficient knowledge of the japanese language I´m still stranded.

If you're an IGNsider, the Gaming Life in Japan articles have a good release list in English for Japan going out a few months. There's probably another combined platform English release list somewhere else, though.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
it's pretty amazing how big MH is over there and how it hasn't caught on here.

they are committed to spread the goodness of the series now apparently, I believe MH3 will see a decent marketing push over here. if the shitty mainstream media coverage of the game is anything to go by (5/10 on gamespot WHAT!?), capcom kinda has a tough job ahead of them :/. the game needs a decent push and it could become another phenomenon here like in japan IMO... I mean looking at gamefaqs MH board which is probably one of the biggest game boards in the site and my thread here at gaf reaching 1k replies for a year old game, the people love this series but sometimes you cant depend on word of mouth, needs a marketing push and I hope they give MH3 a decent one.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
RIP Sakura Taisen.

The writing's been on the wall since ST4, so no surprise at this.
C.T. said:
They should have developed it in-house.
I doubt that difference alone would have helped anything.

Defuser

ksamedi said:
I think the reason Monster Hunter is not on the DS is because of the limited online capabilities of the DS. It just can't be done.
Wat? PSP doesn't have enough online capabilities for MH either.

andthebeatgoeson

donny2112 said:
I probably will down the line. However, I'll be playing on an SDTV regardless, and I'd rather use the RE4: Wii Edition controls. A graphically "inferior" (read: looks perfectly fine to great on an SDTV) RE5 port to the Wii or RE4: <spinoff> would be great for me.
No no no, you must buy a $400 console or buggy as hell console. Why give people options? Oh wait, if Capcom throws their support behind Wii fully and Wii versions outsell the PS360 version, then the PS360 versions would start to die off. I get it. I see why he's so excitable.

I just wish for a RE5wii version because the controls have more possibilities. It's a game with a lot of shooting. I don't think we have seen anywhere near the best control option for shooting games. RE4 kinda gave us an impression but a fully functional and developed wii RE game would be pretty spectacular.

Error

ksamedi said:
probably because it'll look and play like shit on DS, it doesnt have anything to do with online capabilities.

Defuser

Error said:
probably because it'll look and play like shit on DS, it doesnt have anything to do with online capabilities.
MH Mobilephone says hi.

It's more due to the fact that it is a big size game.

Defuser said:
MH Mobilephone says hi.

It's more due to the fact that it is a big size game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you, in fact, saying that MH Mobilephone does not look and play like shit?

Because if you are, I'm going to have to call you out on shenanigans, my good man.

Error

mobilephone games dont exist for me. MY POINT STILL STANDS, it'll look and play like shit on DS.

plus that mobile version must play like utter crap.

botticus

Pureauthor said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you, in fact, saying that MH Mobilephone does not look and play like shit?

Because if you are, I'm going to have to call you out on shenanigans, my good man.
I'm thinking he's saying the fact that it would look and play like shit is not the reason it doesn't exist.

farnham

Banned
Error said:
mobilephone games dont exist for me. MY POINT STILL STANDS, it'll look and play like shit on DS.

plus that mobile version must play like utter crap.
well there is a certain game called DQMon and another game called PokeMon which is probably the main reason why Capcom doesnt want its Monster game to invade the DS...

the Monster Market is overfilled on the DS.. look at the poor fella DigiMon

Error

mob_i_img02.gif

mob_i_img03.gif

mob_i_img05.gif

DS version confirmed!

:barf

farnham said:
well there is a certain game called DQMon and another game called PokeMon which is probably the main reason why Capcom doesnt want its Monster game to invade the DS...
wat?

those games are rpgs, monster hunter is action. your post doesn't make any sense.

farnham

Banned
Error said:
those games are rpgs, monster hunter is action. your post doesn't make any sense.
geared to a similar audience id say... monster hunters theme is hunting down a variety of monsters which is about the same as Pokemon or DQM.. (well in Pokemon and DQM you dont fight yourself though)

Pureauthor said:
I don't really think the casuals will bother to make the distinction.
kinda what im saying

test_account

XP-39C²
Error said:
wat?

As far as i know both Monster Hunter and Pokemon is about to collecting monsters somehow (correct me if i'm wrong though). The game mechanics might be quite different, but its hard to say if Monster Hunter would be as popular on DS as it is on PSP due to that DS already have Pokemon, but who know :)

test_account said:
As far as i know both Monster Hunter and Pokemon is about to collecting monsters somehow (correct me if i'm wrong though). The game mechanics might be quite different, but its hard to say if Monster Hunter would be as popular on DS as it is on PSP due to that DS already have Pokemon, but who know :)

After having played Monster Hunter Freedom 2 SOLID for the past two weeks, I can say with certainty it has little to nothing in common with Pokemon. Do people even bother to play a game, watch a video, or read a FAQ before they bother to state things?

Top Bottom